BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

5 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Positivity is fine, borderline delusion will always be met with suspicion.

Realism is often attributed as negativity for whatever reason. As someone who is perhaps viewed as a more negative poster (presumably), I'd love nothing more than us to win the league at a canter, scoring loads of goals and smashing teams to bits, but there's a long way to go before the squad is the finished article and counting untested youngsters as first teamers is a risk, it simply can't be denied.

I am certainly not saying use the youngsters all as first teamers, but integrating them into the first team can only benefit us as a club. As we are all aware, we don't have Uncle Jack's millions anymore, so bringing through the youth players alongside the current 1st team squad (which is the best in the league) has to be the best way forward.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Reidy You're a Star said:

Is it doom-mongery to extrapolate the trajectory of the last 7 years and expect it to continue, rather than suddenly go into a complete reversal?

Personally, I'd be delighted if we went straight back up, but that won't make everything cushdy again until we're back in the PL and Venkys have departed.

Sorry I thought we was talking about this seasons objectives & the future. 

• Backroom

I'll hold off the hysteria for now, yes we can expect it to go a certain way but I won't take the fat hack and a story about an average full back not coming as proof that we are back in standard Venky time.

Let me have at least a couple of days more 

We all know what's coming, deep down. Some will try to convince themselves that things are going to be different this summer, but even those people know by now how it goes.

Lenihan is the saleable asset. 23 years old, played every game last season, should have been POTY, still has 2 years left on his deal. All that rolled together means one thing. And as expected the rumours begin.

What Mowbray wants is irrelevant. Bowyer wanted Cairney to stay, Coyle wanted Hanley and Duffy to stay. Every transfer window for the last 2 years has seen a systematic offloading of our better players.

These things always start the same way. Telegraph reports interest/bids from random club, the rumours then spread, it rumbles on for weeks, disrupting pre-season, then bang one day he'll be off and we'll have the usual propaganda about not being able to keep unhappy and unsettled players against their will.

Of course there is an alternative which is seen every year at ambitious clubs. Offer best players long term contracts on improved terms and convince them to stay with the promise of a bright future ahead. I don't think that will be happening mind....

10 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I am certainly not saying use the youngsters all as first teamers, but integrating them into the first team can only benefit us as a club. As we are all aware, we don't have Uncle Jack's millions anymore, so bringing through the youth players alongside the current 1st team squad (which is the best in the league) has to be the best way forward.

It's not really integrating though is it? It's more throwing them in the deep end, relying massively on them rather than a phased induction. Ok they may not be the first names on the team sheet but they're not far behind. And with a few injuries - which given some of our players is not unlikely -" they'll be right in the mix. League 1 is a squad game and we are asking our youngsters to male a massive step up and be reliable squad players who play regularly. A big ask imo.

2 hours ago, RV Blue said:

There was one away game (Bristol City I think) that I was able to watch illegally last season and Nyambe wasn't playing then, so Bet365 must only show home games? Yes you did miss it because you didn't watch him play ?.

We have all seen him. At the moment he is an average full back with poor technical ability. Never met anyone who suggests otherwise.

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, Tom said:

I'll hold off the hysteria for now, yes we can expect it to go a certain way but I won't take the fat hack and a story about an average full back not coming as proof that we are back in standard Venky time.

Let me have at least a couple of days more 

We've been through periods of Venky Time where we've seemed relatively stable, but history suggests it will ultimately end in a horrific series of decisions which leaves us much worse off than we were before. Our Championship decline was relatively slow. The first season was a total mess, but squad-wise we were fairly solid. Second season under Bowyer we came close to the playoffs. Third season the squad decline started and we finished a little further away. Fourth season purse-strings were snapped shut, Bowyer was sacked, Lambert was brought in, lied to and left after selling Jordan Rhodes for £9m that disappeared into the financial black hole. Fifth season we appointed Coyle, spent no money, sold our remaining decent players and promptly got relegated despite a mid-season change of manager. 

I can see a similar cycle happening again. People are saying that anything less than top two/playoffs are unacceptable, but the same things were said when we were relegated from the PL. Then expectations fell to just wanting to scrape into the playoffs. Then to mid-table. Then avoiding relegation.

A few seasons of similar underachievement in this division and it'll be exactly the same, but with even less fans watching. 

But if and when TM adds the 4 other players he has spoken of then the squad won't look small. Everyone keeps harping on about injury prone players, but none of them are atm, and let's look at sicknote himself Jason Lowe, how many minutes did  he miss last season? The U23s have to be given the chance to prove themselves, and there is no better time than now

35 minutes ago, Bluebandit said:

No but if that did happen it would demonstrate a upwards trajectory which flies in the face of what some doom mongers are peddling on here. 

Let's get a squad before we book the open top bus. 

New signings are positive and all that but let's not be mistaken, we are still short.

14 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

We have all seen him. At the moment he is an average full back with poor technical ability. Never met anyone who suggests otherwise.

Average is a bit different to what Dunn is saying isn't it? I agree that he's average at the minute, could get a lot better though.

5 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

Let's get a squad before we book the open top bus. 

New signings are positive and all that but let's not be mistaken, we are still short.

Yes I agree on that. Doesn't help with the departing players we will lose. At the end of the day if players don't want to sign contract extensions because they can get better money elsewhere I agree with the club taking a stance on that nobody is indispensable the club has to be pragmatic that way. I think all that will be assessed later on there's plenty of time that way considering progress as already been made.

20 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

But if and when TM adds the 4 other players he has spoken of then the squad won't look small. Everyone keeps harping on about injury prone players, but none of them are atm, and let's look at sicknote himself Jason Lowe, how many minutes did  he miss last season? The U23s have to be given the chance to prove themselves, and there is no better time than now

So much I disagree with in this.

They might not be injured now but do you really think Evans et al will stay fit. That's beyond optimism.

I've not been given the chance to prove myself for Rovers. Should I get a chance? They only should be given a chance if there is a good chance they will make the grade. Otherwise by that chance to prove logic I should be getting a call.

10 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

They might not be injured now but do you really think Evans et al will stay fit. That's beyond optimism.

I've not been given the chance to prove myself for Rovers. Should I get a chance? They only should be given a chance if there is a good chance they will make the grade. Otherwise by that chance to prove logic I should be getting a call.

No you don't deserve a chance. You aren't a professional footballer who has made it as far as the fringes of a professional team due to being chosen year on year as having something more than those who didn't make it. 

16 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

And by the fact they are part of Blackburn Rovers Football Club then yes they have a good chance of making the grade!! If you are contracted to the club then I wish you all the success in breaking into the first team, however if you are not then come up with some better logic! 

People have every right to be sceptical about venkys.  We've been here before.  A couple of decent signings granted but we are still well short of numbers....

Mowbray:We've had no serious offers for our players.

LT:  Rovers have turned down two bids in the last week for Lennihan.

Then we have the rumours of not sanctioning the RB wages.

...and we have 2 bids on for strikers...but nobody knows who they are...

IMO Venkys  have it all to prove.  The problem is, after the last 7 years, we are all so desperate for a bit of positivity (myself included) that we will cling desperately to the merest whiff of improvement/good news.

If we haven't landed a striker within the next ten days, then to me that indicates the Venky's light is definitely  back on red!

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

People have every right to be sceptical about venkys.  We've been here before.  A couple of decent signings granted but we are still well short of numbers....

Mowbray:We've had no serious offers for our players.

LT:  Rovers have turned down two bids in the last week for Lennihan.

Then we have the rumours of not sanctioning the RB wages.

...and we have 2 bids on for strikers...but nobody knows who they are...

IMO Venkys  have it all to prove.  The problem is, after the last 7 years, we are all so desperate for a bit of positivity (myself included) that we will cling desperately to the merest whiff of improvement/good news.

If we haven't landed a striker within the next ten days, then to me that indicates the Venky,s light is definitely  back on red!

You've hit the nail on the head again the venkygraph punting players out, a few signings before st deadline then silence 

Call me sceptical but we've been here previously but in a league higher 

15 minutes ago, sjsbrfc said:

Nixon currently on Radio Lancs telling Preston to sign Mulgrew and Lenihan

Absolute insufferable C word ^_^ Wonder if he's pals with wee Alex Neil, I will put money on Nixon spouting off about players Preston are after for the rest of the transfer window. Boring Scottish "FUD" that guy. 

5 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I think Nixon was spot on re Lenihan, dragging on only to be done on 31st August

Grant Hanley to Burnley - is that on Twitter?

Hanley has been linked with Sheff Wednesday the last few days on twitter. Hope he goes there and gets his career back on track in blue and white. :brfc:

Archived