BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Have Venkys won?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one has been winning for the past 6 years. Venky's will feel they've lost because they've been duped by agents and lost a fortune and Rovers fans feel they've lost a well-run club successful club that was a solid fixture in the Premier League for 11 years. The town has also lost because Rovers' decline has hit the wider community in terms of investment and jobs. Everyone has lost.

The Walker Trust have been the big winners from all this and the irony is if they'd held on and financed the club properly they'd have made even more money as a result of the increasing TV riches flowing into the Premier League in recent years.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Personally I find it a fascinating study of human behaviour that outrage is so short term. It makes a mockery of the whole protest mindset. 

We Want Venkys Out For The Long Term Good Of The Club But Now We've A Decent Shot At Survival Let's Hold Off And See What Division We End Up In First.

It's like a domestic dispute. It's no wonder nobody will align themselves to protests (e.g. WAR patron, Simon Garner).

If we are already down by the time of the last home game, is there going to be a march? Chanting? Tears? What's the point? Because we might have a decent shot at promotion next season and the downward trajectory and cycle of support-protest-apathy.

We are currently in the best period of football under Venkys since Kean scabbdd that win at home to Liverpool that opened the champagne corks for a thousand agents. The time for Venkys to show their commitment is now. If they have any designs on arresting the free fall and making us competitive and asking us to believe, let alone trust, them then the are going to have to put in some transfer funds. Rumours of further wage reductions and cost cuts are the complete opposite and met with only "well we will have to cut our cloth because the fans have walked away" or "we're in League One so it's inevitable".

My challenge to that is, is it really inevitable? Because in my mind it seems very "evitable" indeed. In 7 years, two things have happened, Blackburn Rovers have got poorer and Venkys have got richer.

For as long as we remain quiet, Venkys approach, i.e. keeping their heads down and letting the fans burn themselves out, has been exactly the right course of action:

Light Fuse And Retreat To A Safe Distance

IMG_0521.JPG

It's not really that though is it, it's more... Let's not rock the boat while we are in such a precarious position, yet still in with a chance of staying up.

The moment we're up or down I'm sure the protests will get back on track. If we go down or Mowbray keeps us up and Venky's don't put their hand in their pocket this Summer I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

1 hour ago, booth said:

It's not really that though is it, it's more... Let's not rock the boat while we are in such a precarious position, yet still in with a chance of staying up.

The moment we're up or down I'm sure the protests will get back on track. If we go down or Mowbray keeps us up and Venky's don't put their hand in their pocket this Summer I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

Let's not rock the boat? We've just landed after a hurricane and are staring down a tsunami. But apart from that, yeah, oars up boys.

My point is this: if the protests (aimed at removing Venkys) halt while we see how the team are doing then what's the point in starting them up again?

Just now, Stuart said:

Let's not rock the boat? We've just landed after a hurricane and are staring down a tsunami. But apart from that, yeah, oars up boys.

My point is this: if the protests (aimed at removing Venkys) halt while we see how the team are doing then what's the point in starting them up again?

So hypothetically speaking we're 1-0 up against Bristol with 30 minutes to go. Is starting a chant of Venkys out a good idea then? Or throwing balls on the pitch? Or having a mass walkout?

22 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You're wasting your time Stuart, the fan base think its more important to see 90 minutes football away from the wife than fight the owners.

Relegation or survival this season means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things, it just slows down the inevitable, if we don't go down this season it'll be next or the one after that, because this situation doesn't get any better under these rats, simple as that.

You want to try boycotting pal, it takes away any control venkys have over you, yes you lose the football for a while but you take control back.

Just now, Gav said:

You're wasting your time Stuart, the fan base think its more important to see 90 minutes football away from the wife than fight the owners.

Relegation or survival this season means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things, it just slows down the inevitable, if we don't go down this season it'll be next or the one after that, because this situation doesn't get any better under these rats, simple as that.

You want to try boycotting pal, it takes away any control venkys have over you, yes you lose the football for a while but you take control back.

Don't agree with that at all. We may, just may, have a decent manager now who'll be able to steady the ship and improve us. He's already shown what he can do with the present set of players. 

As for "protests", ours have been non-league at best. They haven't even started really. They knew how to do it in the 1970s. 

10 minutes ago, booth said:

So hypothetically speaking we're 1-0 up against Bristol with 30 minutes to go. Is starting a chant of Venkys out a good idea then? Or throwing balls on the pitch? Or having a mass walkout?

If that is stopping people protesting then they shouldn't have started in the first place.

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Don't agree with that at all. We may, just may, have a decent manager now who'll be able to steady the ship and improve us. He's already shown what he can do with the present set of players. 

As for "protests", ours have been non-league at best. They haven't even started really. They knew how to do it in the 1970s. 

It been a downward spiral for 7yrs Jim, absolutely nothing to suggest it won't continue, Cheston has already said cost cutting in the summer, the squads already full of rubbish.

As for the manager, we had a decent manager in Lambert as far as I was concerned and they blew that within weeks of him being here, its only a matter of time until an unqualified chancer like Senior p1sses of Mowbray and we're back to square one.

Had a chat with a fellow supporter earlier in week regarding this. Talking to a couple of well respected journalist their opinion was as supporters we turn the tap on and off too often and our case is very much yesterday's news now.

Our message is too mixed and too reactive on events on the field , which dilutes any ultimate goal

Just now, glen9mullan said:

Had a chat with a fellow supporter earlier in week regarding this. Talking to a couple of well respected journalist their opinion was as supporters we turn the tap on and off too often and our case is very much yesterday's news now.

Our message is too mixed and too reactive on events on the field , which dilutes any ultimate goal

The fans don't care enough Glen, footballs not as important these days as it once was in my opinion, far more important things in peoples lives these days than the football team.

When I was a lad :D .......

........but seriously though it was the only thing that mattered, my football team..... work, women and song all came second, its was Blackburn Rovers that mattered and I had thousands of fellow fans that felt the same, but not now.

It just become 'normal fickle football fans', Glen. The next bad patch that we have will see the usual noises again but it's no longer credible.

We now have to accept the bed that the vast majority of our fans have made for us when it comes to Venkys, and try to pretend we are a normal club. By that I mean putting pressure on the likes of Senior to act - as a pseudo chairman. The next thing we need is for him to convince Venkys to back Mowbray (and him) with transfer targets.

The fans have backed themselves into a corner by blowing hit and cold too often. Venkys advisors called their bluff and that was that.

At least Coyle is gone so those are the kind of small mercies we probably need to focus on now.

Venkys have lost a pot full of money and we have lost Premiership status and are in grave danger of losing Championship status so it's difficult to see any winners here.  The owners haven't given any indication that they want to sell the club and even if they did it is difficult to see who would pay their likely asking price. With owners on the other side of the world any protest in and around Ewood has no impact on them whatsoever.  Falling attendances have had no impact, indeed, it only results in more cost cutting measures which would be necessary no matter who the owner was at this stage.  Battersby, has said recently that the club is not a realistic proposition for a new buyer and that is the real issue. The appointment of Senior and the arrival of Mowbray is hopefully a sign that they are finally prepared to try something different.  We may well have to go down to come back but if the owners are prepared to back Mowbray I have no doubt that he would bring us back at the first time of asking - as Bolton appear to be doing despite their serious financial problems under new owners who seem to be promising more cost cutting at the Reebok in the summer.

Just now, Stuart said:

It just become 'normal fickle football fans', Glen. The next bad patch that we have will see the usual noises again but it's no longer credible.

We now have to accept the bed that the vast majority of our fans have made for us when it comes to Venkys, and try to pretend we are a normal club. By that I mean putting pressure on the likes of Senior to act - as a pseudo chairman. The next thing we need is for him to convince Venkys to back Mowbray (and him) with transfer targets.

The fans have backed themselves into a corner by blowing hit and cold too often. Venkys advisors called their bluff and that was that.

At least Coyle is gone so those are the kind of small mercies we probably need to focus on now.

Rovers supporters are too nice in the main, too predictable and as a group of supporters we have not evolved in terms of method.

It's good to watch the games with ewood rocking, but i cannot accept this slow death Venkys have instilled on us.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Venkys have lost a pot full of money and we have lost Premiership status and are in grave danger of losing Championship status so it's difficult to see any winners here.  The owners haven't given any indication that they want to sell the club and even if they did it is difficult to see who would pay their likely asking price. With owners on the other side of the world any protest in and around Ewood has no impact on them whatsoever.  Falling attendances have had no impact, indeed, it only results in more cost cutting measures which would be necessary no matter who the owner was at this stage.  Battersby, has said recently that the club is not a realistic proposition for a new buyer and that is the real issue. The appointment of Senior and the arrival of Mowbray is hopefully a sign that they are finally prepared to try something different.  We may well have to go down to come back but if the owners are prepared to back Mowbray I have no doubt that he would bring us back at the first time of asking - as Bolton appear to be doing despite their serious financial problems under new owners who seem to be promising more cost cutting at the Reebok in the summer.

Relegation would suit Venkys and Cheston.

At the supporters meeting Cheston harped on about the home grown players .

The reality is in league 1, you can pay 10-15 Mahoney's for the price of a Danny Graham. 

If one blossoms you sell him to a championship club and find the next one.

I agree we may need to go back to go forwards.

If we are to sustain championship football for a season or two, or push for promotion , then we need investment. If that money in not forthcoming , regardless where we are next season , it will be another season of struggle 

Extremely silly thread and Parson and Jim have it spot on. There are no winners here. Venky's have racked up 110m worth of debt and ongoing losses currently accruing at 1m p.m. due to their mismanagement and incompetence and the fans that are left have seen an established Premiership Club replaced by one that could drop into League 1 for the first time since the late 70's.

Odd time to bring this up though when the owners seem to have made one of their rare good decisions and we seem to be doing ever so slightly better.

Are you disappointed we're showing one or two signs of improvement or something Stuart?

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Extremely silly thread and Parson and Jim have it spot on. There are no winners here. Venky's have racked up 110m worth of debt and ongoing losses currently accruing at 1m p.m. due to their mismanagement and incompetence and the fans that are left have seen an established Premiership Club replaced by one that could drop into League 1 for the first time since the late 70's.

Odd time to bring this up though when the owners seem to have made one of their rare good decisions and we seem to be doing ever so slightly better.

Are you disappointed we're showing one or two signs of improvement or something Stuart?

Its been on the site for the past 6/7yrs Rev as you know, hardly just been brought up, you mischief maker you :D

Just now, Parsonblue said:

So now it's go down to come back !  I give up i really do.

Absolutely everything points to going down under this lot to being the end of Rovers as we know it. It would simply be the start of the next chapter of us being Bury/Rochdale or Blackpool. Decades in the lower reaches and if you can't see that it's alarming for one who's watched football for so long and has seen how these things unfold. Not normal clubs but those owned by dodgy foreign crackpots and run by people in the shadows.

Relegation would suit Venkys and Cheston.

At the supporters meeting Cheston harped on about the home grown players .

The reality is in league 1, you can pay 10-15 Mahoney's for the price of a Danny Graham. 

If one blossoms you sell him to a championship club and find the next one.

I agree we may need to go back to go forwards.

If we are to sustain championship football for a season or two, or push for promotion , then we need investment. If that money in not forthcoming , regardless where we are next season , it will be another season of struggle 

Graham has never appeared properly match fit and resembled a knackered old crock this season. Not sure he's the best example to use to support that argument.  Whilst the side does need a sprinkling of experience in key areas I see no problem with promoting the likes of Wharton Nyambe and Mahoney either.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes, Rev. That's it, I'm gutted that we are unbeaten. :rolleyes:

When would be a better time to bring up the fact that protests have effectively ended then, Rev, when they are in full swing. :wacko:

Now that would be extremely silly.

But, if all it takes for protests to stop is half a dozen games without defeat then we really have no reason to protest. Debt, what debt? Wage cuts? Next season's problem. A squad of about 13 on the books come May? Niff-naff. It's all about going to the match, being entertained and going home. If it folds we can all just go to watch Chorley.

Archived