BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

With all this player and League 1 squad of the year stuff,Mowbray not getting the credit he deserves stuff etc, I think it is very important we don't get ahead of ourselves. Absolutely nothing won yet. 1 game at a time please lads. Still room for things to go badly wrong. The players seem focused, so hopefully the outside stuff doesn't take their eyes off the prize. If they stay doing what they have been, we can win the league. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, philipl said:

We lost 0-2 to Chelsea at Ewood and 1-4 at Stamford Bridge if I remember correctly.

I went to Stamford Bridge with perhaps 500 other Rovers on that enormous open curve that was the away end. Chelsea went one up after about 12 minutes and we were all looking at each other wondering why we had bothered. At least I was only a couple of tube rides from home.

I suspect Chelsea beat us so easily, they totally underestimated Boro in the final.

Lot of crowd trouble at Ewood as I recall, (which is shorthand for 14 year old urchins thinking they were men.)

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Samuel and nuttall sadly don't cut the mustard in this team and certainly not in the championship. If Graham and Armstrong can't play their , there is always Elliot Bennett. He can play there until Raya drops a clanger then he can go in goal for the second half and still probably would have ran more miles than them two. I've seen enough of both to know there not rovers players and that is me writing them off just to clarify.

Old Gregg, really?

By saying they aren’t good enough based on less than 20 appearances combined, you’re quite clearly writing them off.

Dont get me wrong, I’m with you on them looking our least able strikers at current but they both deserve time in the shirt to improve. That’s what players do with good coaching.

They are different styles of striker too. I think nuttall could blossom into a poacher/target man with time.

The example of how he’s been discussed sums up this message board. Some almost blue in the face with criticism because he didn’t get a chance after scoring a bucket full for the u23s, as soon as he’s had one or two quiet games for the seniors it’s “get rid”...!!

Both need time and work. I doubt either would succeed in a system designed to get the best out of Danny Graham and Dack!

edit - you said you “are” writing them off.. apologies!

2 hours ago, Biz said:

Old Gregg, really?

By saying they aren’t good enough based on less than 20 appearances combined, you’re quite clearly writing them off.

Dont get me wrong, I’m with you on them looking our least able strikers at current but they both deserve time in the shirt to improve. That’s what players do with good coaching.

They are different styles of striker too. I think nuttall could blossom into a poacher/target man with time.

The example of how he’s been discussed sums up this message board. Some almost blue in the face with criticism because he didn’t get a chance after scoring a bucket full for the u23s, as soon as he’s had one or two quiet games for the seniors it’s “get rid”...!!

Both need time and work. I doubt either would succeed in a system designed to get the best out of Danny Graham and Dack!

One or two quiet games ? suddenly become three or four ....that turn into five and six, then ............

Nuttall did fairly well when he played for Rovers. He bagged a couple of goals and put himself about. Ultimately a striker is judged by the amount of goals he scores or, in DGs case, creates. In that respect Nuttall has had a good season and hopefully should push on in the future

Samuel is a different kettle of fish. He was doing well at the start of the season and looked like he would make a sale of Graham a certainty in the summer. Since then he's fallen out of favour and often finds himself shoe horned out wide. Armstrong is better than him but will we still have him next season? 

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Nuttall did fairly well when he played for Rovers. He bagged a couple of goals and put himself about. Ultimately a striker is judged by the amount of goals he scores or, in DGs case, creates. In that respect Nuttall has had a good season and hopefully should push on in the future

Samuel is a different kettle of fish. He was doing well at the start of the season and looked like he would make a sale of Graham a certainty in the summer. Since then he's fallen out of favour and often finds himself shoe horned out wide. Armstrong is better than him but will we still have him next season? 

Samuel played the centre forward role against Bradford not out wide.

Nuttall did ok against poor opposition fighting for his lucrative contract now that's in the bag and the opposition gets tougher Joe Nuttall needs to improve massively. 

Just now, JAL said:

Samuel played the centre forward role against Bradford not out wide.

Nuttall did ok against poor opposition fighting for his lucrative contract now that's in the bag and the opposition gets tougher Joe Nuttall needs to improve massively. 

I said often, not all the time but yes you are right he did.

He had a bad game against Bradford and the game changed when he went off. What I will say is that bad form can decimate a players confidence and he certainly doesn't have the swagger he had at the start of the year. I wouldn't write him off though. 

As for Nuttall I don't think he got a "lucrative contract" at all. I don't know the ins and outs of it but I'm sure it wasn't mega money for a youth player. Unless you know something we don't?

He does need to improve and will improve. He's scored in most of his senior appearances and bagged in the double figures for a hugely impressive U23 campaign. I'd say he's had a very successful first year as a Rovers player. 

I think Nuttall has to make his decision on what type of forward he is going to be. I think he has more of the qualities needed for a targetman. He could do far worse, than to learn that particular skill off Danny Graham, who is a master of it. If he could get that knowledge I would stick with him. I cannot see what Samuel brings, against MK he made one run early on, that showed their weakness. Then he stopped making runs, so his pace was wasted. 

46 minutes ago, Jim Royle said:

I must be wrong in thinking Blackburn Rovers are currently sitting top of the league!

No--------you'd be wrong in thinking everything was perfect and nothing could be improved.

23 hours ago, arbitro said:

We could well have done. I remember the format changing as it was considered unfair on the higher league team.

Indeed we did, 15th May 1988 I missed the game as was watching my son being born at Queens Park Hospital with nurses keeping me updated on the score, he was born at 16.50 just as the match would have finished lol 

3 hours ago, Biz said:

Old Gregg, really?

I saw Sam hart play for 45 minutes and wrote him off to and just like the starting 11 from the mk Don's thread  of a few years back, nuttall and Samuel will be in the same bracket as some of that lot playing in Singapore or real salt lakes reserves

I see Rochdale won again last night, perhaps they will do us another massive favour when they face Wigan at Spotland next week, all of a sudden that game looks very dangerous. 

Re: Nuttall and Samuel. I am in full agreement that neither is good enough for us in either League 1 or the Championship. Samuel could possibly have a cameo role as a wide striker against a smaller fullback winning knockdowns for the likes of Dack and especially Armstrong, but as a lone striker he isn't up to it. For me, Armstrong is comfortably our 2nd option there.

Archived