BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

16 hours ago, Biz said:

To quote the manager “every change was enforced” and to suggest he’s a liar after the last 12 months... what on Earth do you expect? The game I watched was 11 men and a staff who deserved their money and praise despite the second defeat of 2018.

Thouroughly embarrassing Stuart.

This is seriously naive.

Mowbray's claim that all changes were enforced shows a panicked belated realisation that he made a big mistake assuming Wigan would roll-over Wimbledon.

You may not want to call him a liar but anyone that has watched the game for more than a couple of years knows this was not 'the truth'. 

15 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I definitely wouldn't say we dominated. First half we were atrocious and second half we possibly had the better of it but didn't show much quality in the final 3rd when it mattered.

I really don't understand the "because We've achieved promotion the rest of the season doesn't matter" mentality. Fair enough, we'd clinched promotion but the title was still up for grabs.

It's the same as saying your target is to stay up then shutting up shop in January and February as soon as you hit 40 points. I know Allardyce and Pulis teams have done it fairly regularly but that isn't right either.

My thoughts exactly.

Mowbray wanted to reward the whole squad with a run-out now the season 'was over'.

He could not do this in the final game because he wanted to reward the (miraculously recovered) 1st eleven (and fans) by playing them in front of the celebratory bumper crowd.

For me this was blind, misplaced, unprofessional loyalty. He surely should have played the strongest side until we knew that we had to at least better Wigan's final day result to win the League.

I genuinely can't see a professional, competitive explanation for not giving the fans, the club and the squad the chance of the further euphoria this would have produced on Saturday and the momentum this would have continued into next season.

15 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Do you think we shut up shop in that performance? End of season stroll? We were busting a gut last 20 mins to get something. After we went to 4-3-3 - three forwards away from home against a playoff team - we looked really good.

Yes, we were trying. The effort and commitment were there but my thoughts when I saw the team selection were that we would at best draw the game and, for the 1st time for months and months, I (and many othes) thought we may well lose.

Whatever anyone says in hindsight (and for what it's worth I of course agree with all posts that say the main thing is that we are promoted) the selection, formation and tactics seemed almost designed to produce minimal progressive, fluent, effective play in the final third. I genuinely believe that Tony was trying to shoehorn-in his squad triers in reward for their contribution to our brilliant promotion effort.

Commendable but totally unprofessional and a kick in the teeth for those of us that thought a replication (after the Oxford game) of the pitch and dressing room scenes from Doncaster would have been truly beneficial for the club and 27000 long-suffering loyal fans.

Despite everything I've  just spouted, I do appreciate all attempts to put the Charlton disappointment into perspective, but I really don't think many of us understand what a feeling it would have been for the Trophy to be presented to the squad on the pitch in front of our biggest crowd for years, and the even greater boost to next season's challenge it would have provided.

Please don't remind me we may still be champions, I just would have preferred it to be more of a possibility than needing Wigan to avoid victory at Doncaster.

Phew, I can park all that emotion now, and look forward to Saturday's footy and (double!) beer festival carnage. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stuart said:

Based on what? Actions speak louder that words, Parson. Mowbray has not helped our U23s progress and has certainly halted Nuttall’s development. (Hopefully only temporarily). Why would he trust them next season when every point will be precious in the hunt for 50 points.

With respect you would have been looking forward to next season if we were in the Championship, League One, or even League Two. That’s just how you view all things Rovers.

Personally I think next season is going to be much more difficult and a lot less enjoyable. We will be up against half a league with millions to spend. Much depends on what we (or rather Venkys) do over the Summer.

Mowbray hasnt help the under 23's? :lol:

Im looking forward to next season and think we do very well personally. 

Nuttall all round game needs working on but his finishing and eye for a goal is there

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Based on what? Actions speak louder that words, Parson. Mowbray has not helped our U23s progress and has certainly halted Nuttall’s development. (Hopefully only temporarily). Why would he trust them next season when every point will be precious in the hunt for 50 points.

With respect you would have been looking forward to next season if we were in the Championship, League One, or even League Two. That’s just how you view all things Rovers.

Personally I think next season is going to be much more difficult and a lot less enjoyable. We will be up against half a league with millions to spend. Much depends on what we (or rather Venkys) do over the Summer.

Don't worry we will be safe by Easter then the lads can have the next 4 month off. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray hasnt help the under 23's? :lol:

Im looking forward to next season and think we do very well personally. 

Nuttall all round game needs working on but his finishing and eye for a goal is there

Do you have ANY opinions that aren’t given to you by Nixon, Mowbray or Parson?

Just now, garnersfags said:

This is seriously naive.

Mowbray's claim that all changes were enforced shows a panicked belated realisation that he made a big mistake assuming Wigan would roll-over Wimbledon.

You may not want to call him a liar but anyone that has watched the game for more than a couple of years knows this was not 'the truth'. 

Dack, Raya, Conway, Williams and Bennett all injured. 

Can you prove none of these 5 werent injured? 

Calling Mowbray is a liar is a insult to the man who has open, honest and truthful from day 1 of becoming manager of this club  

Just now, Stuart said:

Again, I disagree with you on the first point Stuart.  I think Mowbray has supported the younger lads and certainly hasn't halted Nuttall's development.  He had a dip in form in the Under-23's in mid-season which underlined that there are a number of aspects of his game which need work.  Personally, I think it was a wise decision to hold them back until next season and keep them away from the stress of a promotion push.  The only one I might have gambled with would have been Lewis Travis.  You only have to look at the grief that the likes of Samuel and Antonsson have had from the crowd in recent games - a young lad might well have been destroyed by that sort of criticism. 

You are right in that I do enjoy following the Rovers Stuart but the last few seasons have been difficult and even I question my sanity arriving home at 4am after another midweek defeat.  However, I've found Mowbray to be a breath of fresh air and someone who has completely reinvigorated by enthusiasm.  

I would totally agree that next season will be difficult.  You only have to look at Bolton's woes to see how difficult it could be.  However, I believe Mowbray is the man to take the club forward - hopefully for the next few years - and that he can build on the success of this season.  Obviously, he will need financial support be both he and Steve Waggott seem to have a good relationship with Mr & Mrs Desai and they, in turn, seem to have confidence in what is being done on the ground at Ewood.  Hopefully, the corner has been turned but only time will tell.  But whatever the future holds in store, God willing, we will both be supporting OUR club.

Just now, Stuart said:

Do you have ANY opinions that aren’t given to you by Nixon, Mowbray or Parson?

So funny Stuart? Make sure you pick that gold medal up after. 

My opinions are my views but you sounds jealous or upset cos I have similar views to other Rovers fans? What the problems? 

1 hour ago, 47er said:

We are all ecstatic to be promoted, however we didn't all lose our critical faculties in the process.

Not everything Rovers is unimprovable and the Championship was unexpectedly there for the taking yesterday.

This is nothing to do with "1 defeat", people have made the same points about selection and subs all season.

On one point however I do agree with you--some folk on here are  just unbelievable!

TM is the best manager we have had for years but he is not above criticism.

This post is balanced, honest and reasonable and should put an end to the Charlton discussion.

Onwards to Saturday!!!!

It's quite clear that one or two posters need to find another hobby, they've obviously been damaged beyond all repair if some of the comments on here are anything to go by.

I'm still absolutely buzzing after Doncaster, the fans were absolutely amazing, the scenes never been seen in 30yrs+ as they swarmed on to the pitch at full time to carry the players off shoulder high, superb scenes. 

There is a time and place for criticising team selection, players and managerial performance, it's usually here most days of the week, but as supporters we should all be rejoicing at what has been a fantastic season, a phenomenal effort by Mowbray and his staff, and I can't wait to applaud their efforts next week. 

The whinge fest at this stage is unnecessary, born out of belated self preservation and attention seeking at its best.

It's been a tremendous season, so why not give it a rest until July, because you'll have plenty to whinge about next season I'm sure.

Onwards and we are going Upwards! 

40 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Bottom line Stuart, whether you like it or not, is that Mowbray knows more about the players and their fitness than either you or I.  It's been clear for weeks that several have been carrying knocks and not at their usual standards of fitness - you only have to seen Dack at Gillingham and Bristol to know that.  With promotion won why would anyone consider risking players to long term injury when they are clearly struggling.  Our target was promotion and we have achieved that.  Yesterday was a really great day for those who were at the game and yet coming back and reading this messageboard anyone would think we'd been relegated again.

Its not about the players who were out but about who came in.

But, in the overall scheme of things I suppose its not that critical. At the start of the season I would have given my right arm to be where we are.  Really looking forward to next season

and hope he  does bring the youth players in rather than the Caddis-type players.

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Dack, Raya, Conway, Williams and Bennett all injured. 

Can you prove none of these 5 werent injured? 

Calling Mowbray is a liar is a insult to the man who has open, honest and truthful from day 1 of becoming manager of this club  

Ok, I accept that point, so Tony is not a liar but my point was that a numer of those players could have played at Charlton, and Graham could and should have played 60 min from the start if he was going to give him 30 min at the end....

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So funny Stuart? Make sure you pick that gold medal up after. 

My opinions are my views but you sounds jealous or upset cos I have similar views to other Rovers fans? What the problems? 

Got it in one. Chaddy. I’m jealous of you. That’s exactly it. 

Funny how you are happy enough clicking the laugh button to put me down but get all defensive when I hold the mirror up.

11 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

This is seriously naive.

My thoughts exactly.

Mowbray wanted to reward the whole squad with a run-out now the season 'was over'.

He could not do this in the final game because he wanted to reward the (miraculously recovered) 1st eleven (and fans) by playing them in front of the celebratory bumper crowd.

For me this was blind, misplaced, unprofessional loyalty. He surely should have played the strongest side until we knew that we had to at least better Wigan's final day result to win the League.

I genuinely can't see a professional, competitive explanation for not giving the fans, the club and the squad the chance of the further euphoria this would have produced on Saturday and the momentum this would have continued into next season.

Yes, we were trying. The effort and commitment were there but my thoughts when I saw the team selection were that we would at best draw the game and, for the 1st time for months and months, I (and many othes) thought we may well lose.

Whatever anyone says in hindsight (and for what it's worth I of course agree with all posts that say the main thing is that we are promoted) the selection, formation and tactics seemed almost designed to produce minimal progressive, fluent, effective play in the final third. I genuinely believe that Tony was trying to shoehorn-in his squad triers in reward for their contribution to our brilliant promotion effort.

Commendable but totally unprofessional and a kick in the teeth for those of us that thought a replication (after the Oxford game) of the pitch and dressing room scenes from Doncaster would have been truly beneficial for the club and 27000 long-suffering loyal fans.

Despite everything I've  just spouted, I do appreciate all attempts to put the Charlton disappointment into perspective, but I really don't think many of us understand what a feeling it would have been for the Trophy to be presented to the squad on the pitch in front of our biggest crowd for years, and the even greater boost to next season's challenge it would have provided.

Please don't remind me we may still be champions, I just would have preferred it to be more of a possibility than needing Wigan to avoid victory at Doncaster.

Phew, I can park all that emotion now, and look forward to Saturday's footy and (double!) beer festival carnage. 

Naivety isn’t the word I’d choose, I’d call it faith. Faith in a manager who’s actually achieved the necessary.

I could easily criticise plenty this season but I would be ignoring 95% of the positives to make my point. It’s akin to complaining about being paid in cheque for winning the lottery in my eyes, and to double guess the thought process of the manager because we didn’t win a game that could’ve put us in the driving seat to win the title? It depends on what how you regard the job he did to even put us in contention.

Totally unprofessional? That’s way OTT, IMO.

53 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Bottom line Stuart, whether you like it or not, is that Mowbray knows more about the players and their fitness than either you or I.  It's been clear for weeks that several have been carrying knocks and not at their usual standards of fitness - you only have to seen Dack at Gillingham and Bristol to know that.  With promotion won why would anyone consider risking players to long term injury when they are clearly struggling.  Our target was promotion and we have achieved that.  Yesterday was a really great day for those who were at the game and yet coming back and reading this messageboard anyone would think we'd been relegated again.

If Dack has been carrying an injury it is somewhat odd that Mowbray himself pointed out that Dack had been poor v Gillingham and Bristol.

You last sentence is claptrap vote buying nonsense.

36 minutes ago, Stuart said:

With respect, if we won back to back promotions, you’d be picking holes, finding an angle to moan, suggesting players are only involved on “favours” and questioning the validity of the staff. That’s just how you view all things Rovers.

3 minutes ago, Biz said:

Naivety isn’t the word I’d choose, I’d call it faith. Faith in a manager who’s actually achieved the necessary.

I could easily criticise plenty this season but I would be ignoring 95% of the positives to make my point. It’s akin to complaining about being paid in cheque for winning the lottery in my eyes, and to double guess the thought process of the manager because we didn’t win a game that could’ve put us in the driving seat to win the title? It depends on what how you regard the job he did to even put us in contention.

Totally unprofessional? That’s way OTT, IMO.

I accept that criticism, fair enough.

Still think the benefits of lifting that Trophy have been underestimated....

Just now, Biz said:

With respect, if we won back to back promotions, you’d be picking holes, finding an angle to moan, suggesting players are only involved on “favours” and questioning the validity of the staff. That’s just how you view all things Rovers.

I thought you had grown up. Clearly not.

Find one post from me picking holes in promotion. Yet more straw man BS.

We will not get back to back promotions so it’s yet another moot point.

You are so black or white: Promotion = Mowbray is unquestionable.

Just now, Stuart said:

I thought you had grown up. Clearly not.

Find one post from me picking holes in promotion. Yet more straw man BS.

We will not get back to back promotions so it’s yet another moot point.

You are so black or white: Promotion = Mowbray is unquestionable.

No manager is unquestionable, but to talk about the “10 game clock” resetting less than a week after the Keepmoat scenes, absolutely sums you up.

If the likes of Raya, Williams, Bennett & Dack were injured (and have been carrying injuries for some time allegedly) then why didn't they stay at Brockhall for treatment instead of travelling to London and back and standing around in bars and clubs until silly o'clock. Mowbray used travelling fatigue as a reason for the inadequate performances against Gillingham and Bristol and yet injured players are travelling unnecessarily.

I don't mind the changes but I don't buy the reasons for them.

1 minute ago, Biz said:

No manager is unquestionable, but to talk about the “10 game clock” resetting less than a week after the Keepmoat scenes, absolutely sums you up.

I won’t post what “absolutely sums you up”

• Backroom
50 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why should the youth team started the game?

Surely they should only play if they deserve to and good enough?

I’m staying out of the tit for tat that’s been rife since the game but I find this a little hypocritical and inconsistent.

You were championing Travis to the moon and back when it looked like Mowbray was about to include him and putting him in your preferred line up, since it was clear he wasn’t going to be used you’ve omitted him from the bench even.

So does he deserve to and / or is good enough?

Archived