BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

Am I alone in spotting a correlation between those most outraged by our surrender of a title we have not once been in pole position to win and Tony Mowbray’s most vociferous critics during the season?

Despite the Wigan manager’s press interviews, I wonder how many sinews his team have strained in their unquenchable, awe-inspiring amassing of two consecutive draws since they won promotion as they drive to win the title, especially given how they apparently crush teams at will versus our cautious, supine stumbling over the line earlier than we ever have done in my lifetime.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

You have answer your own point. Promotion was objective and it was delivered..im looking to the Oxford game and enjoying the last game..

If we win the league we win the league but promotion is what we all wanted and out of league 1. 

Youve taken part of my quote, and taken it out of context.

Since when has Blackburn Rovers winning a league title become almost an irrelevance? We sealed promotion at Doncaster. Made up with that, brilliant night going down there, one of the best nights ever supporting Rovers. With a week and a half of the season to go. Absolutely made up and still am.

Why practically then go, no one cares who finishes first and second? Whats there to lose? Absolutely nothing. Whats there to gain? A bloody league title, the thing weve been competing in all season!

Its a league title, its a rare chance to win silverware, and weve seemingly given it up in advance!

Im going to suggest that the reason that youve taken this view, is to mirror that of Mowbrays. If he had said before the Charlton game, "we should go all out to try and get the title for our supporters" youd have been bigging up its importance and you fully well know it.

16 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Nonsense. The season lasts for 46 games not 44 and whilst we achieved our primary aim of promotion on Tuesday night, that has been and gone.  With two games to go the manager had the chance to have a real crack at winning the title but didn't seem interested pre match before the Charlton game and that was reflected in his team selection.

So should teams who qualify for the Champions League then give up and not bother about the Premier League title? Because the principle is exactly the same it's just at a slightly lower level.[\b]

That wasn’t a comparison worthy of the effort Rev.

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Am I alone in spotting a correlation between those most outraged by our surrender of a title we have not once been in pole position to win and Tony Mowbray’s most vociferous critics during the season?

Despite the Wigan manager’s press interviews, I wonder how many sinews his team have strained in their unquenchable, awe-inspiring amassing of two consecutive draws since they won promotion as they drive to win the title, especially given how they apparently crush teams at will versus our cautious, supine stumbling over the line earlier than we ever have done in my lifetime.

Again, totally unfair.

I and many others keep saying, hes done a great job, glad hes manager etc but im also really annoyed that weve surrendered a title we were in a strong position, and could hypothetically have been in pole position, had we have put our full focus on. Supporting Mowbray and bemoaning a title surrender are not mutually exclusive.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Again, totally unfair.

I and many others keep saying, hes done a great job, glad hes manager etc but im also really annoyed that weve surrendered a title we were in a strong position, and could hypothetically have been in pole position, had we have put our full focus on. Supporting Mowbray and bemoaning a title surrender are not mutually exclusive.

Who’s to say the usual crew would’ve done much better? Especially as we have been repeatedly told on here we’d have no chance against teams such as Charlton had we been in the play-offs

In any sport, any vocation, you want to go as far as you can.

First is first, second is nothing.  If we hadn't have won the PL in 1995, who would have remembered Rovers coming 2nd !?!? 

The culture of the club should be about winning and not going on holiday with two games to spare.  Complacency and 'easy going' soon become endemic.

Youve taken part of my quote, and taken it out of context.

Since when has Blackburn Rovers winning a league title become almost an irrelevance? We sealed promotion at Doncaster. Made up with that, brilliant night going down there, one of the best nights ever supporting Rovers. With a week and a half of the season to go. Absolutely made up and still am.

Why practically then go, no one cares who finishes first and second? Whats there to lose? Absolutely nothing. Whats there to gain? A bloody league title, the thing weve been competing in all season!

Its a league title, its a rare chance to win silverware, and weve seemingly given it up in advance!

Im going to suggest that the reason that youve taken this view, is to mirror that of Mowbrays. If he had said before the Charlton game, "we should go all out to try and get the title for our supporters" youd have been bigging up its importance and you fully well know it.

My reason is clear, promotion is what I wanted and we achieve it. I'm.happy with 1st or 2nd. Not bother either will do. Cos I wanted promotion. 

Out of the 6 changes, 5 are down to injures and somebody(sorry for not remembering who posted it) has posted what they are. So why have we given up?

Dack, Raya and Conway wont play against Oxford anyway.

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

It was a very worthy comparison. It's exactly the same principal

Hardly. I don’t think you would find any rovers fan not wanting the Premier League title. People are getting so carried away. Job was done at Doncaster, season was over then. I knew that, why didn’t everyone else?

Just now, den said:

Hardly. I don’t think you would find any rovers fan not wanting the Premier League title. People are getting so carried away. Job was done at Doncaster, season was over then. I knew that, why didn’t everyone else?

Because everyone else could see that their was a title to play for. What don't you understand. 

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Who’s to say the usual crew would’ve done much better? Especially as we have been repeatedly told on here we’d have no chance against teams such as Charlton had we been in the play-offs

I dont know who said that, the only things I have seen that are similar are people implying that whoever finishes 3rd will have trouble getting themselves back up after the dissapointment of missing out automatically, as is often the case.

My reason is clear, promotion is what I wanted and we achieve it. I'm.happy with 1st or 2nd. Not bother either will do. Cos I wanted promotion. 

Out of the 6 changes, 5 are down to injures and somebody(sorry for not remembering who posted it) has posted what they are. So why have we given up?

Dack, Raya and Conway wont play against Oxford anyway.

Thats not a reason ? and what you fail to understand is, when has winning a League title become an irrelevance to anyone?!

The issue was in regards to attitude, not injuries which seemingly are genuine. I want to see Mulgrew lifting some silverware aloft. I want to remember us being the best team in a division on a rare occasion. And im not on my own and youd think that the manager would want that.

Answer me this. By at least showing 100% desire to win the league, even if the travelling squad had stayed the same. What was there to lose? Why say you dont care about winning or finishing second in advance of playing the matches?

Seeing as you dont care about 1st or 2nd, my advice would be turn up in the 89th minute v Oxford, the match is irrelevant. Just come for the celebrations.

I dont know who said that, the only things I have seen that are similar are people implying that whoever finishes 3rd will have trouble getting themselves back up after the dissapointment of missing out automatically, as is often the case.

Thats not a reason ? and what you fail to understand is, when has winning a League title become an irrelevance to anyone?!

The issue was in regards to attitude, not injuries which seemingly are genuine. I want to see Mulgrew lifting some silverware aloft. I want to remember us being the best team in a division on a rare occasion. And im not on my own and youd think that the manager would want that.

Answer me this. By at least showing 100% desire to win the league, even if the travelling squad had stayed the same. What was there to lose? Why say you dont care about winning or finishing second in advance of playing the matches?

Seeing as you dont care about 1st or 2nd, my advice would be turn up in the 89th minute v Oxford, the match is irrelevant. Just come for the celebrations.

Bit pedantic but I imagine you will whatever happens. Probably get a trophy for 1st and a shield or something for 2nd. Anyway there's nothing wrong with your mentality but you're probably facing a losing battle on here. 

Just now, den said:

Come on, there was a chance to win silverware before Saturday, and there is still a slim chance,  but Mowbray's utterances before the game and his team selection were all wrong, and gave the impression he wasn't that bothered about winning the title. He let the fans down and taken the shine off what should have been a cracking end to the season.  

Mowbray was open and honest with the fans. Thats him all over. 

I will down at Ewood Park around 2.30pm. Nice and early outside the players entrance so I can get my Rovers shirt signed by Bennett and my daughter can get her home shirt signed by all the players and Raya to sign her goalkeeper one. 

Mowbray was open and honest with the fans. Thats him all over. 

I will down at Ewood Park around 2.30pm. Nice and early outside the players entrance so I can get my Rovers shirt signed by Bennett and my daughter can get her home shirt signed by all the players and Raya to sign her goalkeeper one. 

Cant believe you are spinning that into a positive ? he said he doesnt care if we win the league!

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Come on, there was a chance to win silverware before Saturday, and there is still a slim chance,  but Mowbray's utterances before the game and his team selection were all wrong, and gave the impression he wasn't that bothered about winning the title. He let the fans down and taken the shine off what should have been a cracking end to the season.  

Agreed, although whilst I feel that he certainly took a lot of the shine off Saturday, in general im not sure he has of the season. But its definitely a valid individual criticism in what is otherwise a terrific season. For me its the attitude that rankles. It also screams of hypocrisy in terms of him complaining of Huddersfield not taking their game seriously last season, something I didnt really get too annoyed about as I felt the relegation was totally self-inflicted, but its also worth a mention.

Im still perplexed that weve got ourself into a situation where many dont seem to care if we win a League or not!

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Aim before season was to finish in top two Jim. Job done.  I understand some fans wanted more, but hey, c’mon. It really doesn’t matter in the slightest. 

59 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Just been watching match of the day 2. Pep saying he wants the points and goal record. Sterling saying they want a strong end to the season, if you finish sloppy you start next season sloppy. Mourinho wants to finish second, even though a champions league place is top 4 . No we have qualified for the champions league so let's just relax and celebrate . He wants second , not third. Because he has pride, principals, but more importantly all of the above is the attitude of a winner. The mentality that should be instilled into every professional footballer from a very early age. I hope your watching Tony . That's what a winner sounds like. 

I certainly believe momentum is important.

Just now, den said:

Aim before season was to finish in top two Jim. Job done.  I understand some fans wanted more, but hey, c’mon. It really doesn’t matter in the slightest. 

So as you don't like the Premier League comparison, if Tony Mowbray were to state the aim next season was "consolidation" and we achieved that a lot earlier than expected after say 30 games, is it then acceptable to treat the season as "finished" with 16 games to go and not bother about them?

46 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If we win the league we win the league but promotion is what we all wanted and out of league 1. 

This is a strange comment especially from you a true rovers fan not bothered if we add another honour to the list. Ridiculous statement 

5 minutes ago, den said:

Mission accomplished, promotion was the aim, and next season is now more important than this, but the chance to win silverware and titles doesn't come along very often and it's wrong for Mowbray not to take that chance seriously.

Some great players have won nothing in their careers - and would give alot to have a league winner's medal sitting on their sideboards, even a third division one.  I'll bet there'll be some very disappointed Rovers players come the final whistle against Oxford on Saturday. 

31 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Because everyone else could see that their was a title to play for. What don't you understand. 

For me there's only 1 title; the Premier League Champs. The whole goal of teams is to get there. 3rd division champions is worth little. Promotion is the prize.

8 minutes ago, den said:

Correct. I don't remember anyone complaining when we went up with Souness. We weren't champs then either. Same in 1992. We scraped into the playoffs that time,

3 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

For me there's only 1 title; the Premier League Champs. The whole goal of teams is to get there. 3rd division champions is worth little. Promotion is the prize.

Correct. I don't remember anyone complaining when we went up with Souness. We weren't champs then either. Same in 1992. We scraped into the playoffs that time,

Another wally statement.  Trophies are very important to the club.  Full members cup was cracking.  It's on the list and will be there in 100 years just like the League 1 title should be.  We have a lot of trophies down the years in relation to the size if town etc....you're happy to let Wigan get another? I'm not and especially with that dingle toss pot in charge. 

Tony needed to grow a pair and shove it up his arse.

Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

With respect your first paragraph reeks of football snobbery. We happen to have won the Premier League thanks to the intervention of Uncle Jack but most players including ours will never get the chance to win any silverware at any point. A title is a title whichever division you are in.

As regards para 2 the circumstances there were completely different. We tried our best throughout those seasons but at the end of the day the best we could manage was promotion which was brilliant as this promotion has been as well.

However had we been in a position to claim the Championship title on either occasion we should have gone all out to try and secure it hen as well.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Another wally statement.  Trophies are very important to the club.  Full members cup was cracking.  It's on the list and will be there in 100 years just like the League 1 title should be.  We have a lot of trophies down the years in relation to the size if town etc....you're happy to let Wigan get another? I'm not and especially with that dingle toss pot in charge. 

Tony needed to grow a pair and shove it up his arse.

Great point about the 1987 FMC. It was fantastic to win Division 3 in 1975 as well.

I noted early on this season how Mourinho kept bragging about how he'd won 3 trophies last season conveniently including the Community Shield in his haul. That trophy didn't appear to be too trivial to be worthy of his attention.

Archived