BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Circa 1.5 in the summer, and about a half mill on Bell. 2 mill in league one....3 mill in the champs doesn't sound excitable to me.

Circa 8m operating budget in League 1. Circa 18m in the Championship. Or so I've been told. If true, don't worry, the signings will come. We will see within the next 2 or 3 weeks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Circa 1.5 in the summer, and about a half mill on Bell. 2 mill in league one....3 mill in the champs doesn't sound excitable to me.

I'm just doing my bit to lower the expectation levels, to me any spend under this lot is a bonus.

• Like 1

Just now, lraC said:

Is that the whole spend Josh, with wages and agents fees, or the kitty for transfers? Any chance of us losing anyone?

Whole spend for 2018/19 season. Renewals of Conway and Graham probably take out 1m. Rothwell probably around 750k? That's 8.25m left for the season.

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Did you not see him in for example the Checkatrade games at Ewood? Or the Burnley game? A few more too. If you think he was decent in any of them games then youre in a minority of 1 id suggest.

He hasnt done anything this summer bar sign Rothwell?

Im not saying that Chapman is the finished product. (Although in his only start we kept a clean sheet) Or that Mowbray is dishonest. I dont understand why you or Mowbray would be in favour of signing him to be a sub only. Surely you sign hin to fight for his place like any other position? We have no wingers bar a past it Conway who is also coined as a sub. We need 3 new wingers if one of them is Chapman as only a sub. 

As a general rule of thumb, we need to sign players that IMPROVE us, not players to make up the numbers ie signing new subs. 

Enough to score more than 0 after November! He didnt score enough or assist enough at League One level or perform consistently enough to suggest to me that he can score/perform regularly at Championship level.

Presumably because Whittingham has a career full of seasons proving that he can be a big asset at Championship level. Only question is his age but hes never been fast anyway.

wasn't interested in the Checkatrade games at all. Yes I was there for the Burnley game but that was against a Premier league team not a league 1 or championship team. 

Mowbray has been very busy in terms of recruitment and talking to clubs and agents about players. this is very slow process and people have to understand it takes time. Mowbray has his targets and he will busy persuading them. 

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

How many had we signed at this stage last year?Not many and we needed more players than we need to buy this season.

The players have been back 1 week and that has been spent abroad.For all you and I know deals could be agreed but waiting for Mowbray to return to announce them.

We have been linked with free transfer players that McGeough from Hibs and that centre half from Blackpool who joined Rotherham yesterday.The fact Mowbray hasnt persued out of contract players  suggests to me there is money in the kitty.

If we don't get a few in in the best 10 days or so then i'l start to worry 

we signed 3 or 4 at this stage I think. 

I think Mowbray has been busy over there answering the phone and talking to agents and recruitment team. 

I wouldn't be worried at all if we didn't sign players within the next 10 to 14 days. its very important we sign the right player and not over pay in terms of transfer fees or agent fee or player wages. 

Mowbray does have his targets and I would imagine we are negotiating with clubs over signings but its a slow process at this stage of the season

Just now, bluebruce said:

Not remaining no, but in total we did. It's not like we only just started. It could be they won't fund him, we have certainly been there before, but all the ACTUAL indications from the club is that there is at least a little money to spend. The only indications we don't are actually just insinuations based on us not having done more business so far. How much money there is, is a different matter. Personally I suspect something like 3 million.

Isn't it plausible that the reason for the slow movement is just that that isn't an awfully large budget for the champs anymore, and that we are ensuring we spend it wisely? If clubs raise their asking prices (looked like Charlton did this) or ask too much to begin with, shouldn't we be careful about meeting it? Especially since we all know the way the market works with fluctuating prices throughout, particularly with the trickle down effect from a world cup.

I get why people are worried given the past, but we can be a little more patient. The next week or two will be telling, but even then it won't be over.

The transfer window for championship clubs has been slow and the last a couple of days its pick up abit. I suspect Rovers and Mowbray are being careful to sign the right players and not wasting the budget he has got. Plus other clubs will only a player go when they have sign a replacement to replace them. 

4 minutes ago, J*B said:

Circa 8m operating budget in League 1. Circa 18m in the Championship. Or so I've been told. If true, don't worry, the signings will come. We will see within the next 2 or 3 weeks.

thanks JB for info. 

I agree people need to stop worrying and calm down. 

I expect we will see some singings in the next couple of weeks. 

you heard any names?

4 minutes ago, J*B said:

£8m was the WAGE budget last season. Mowbray said so. Are you saying the WAGE budget has gone up by £10m or are you including the transfer budget in that as well?

Just now, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

£8m was the WAGE budget last season. Mowbray said so. Are you saying the WAGE budget has gone up by £10m or are you including the transfer budget in that as well?

There isn't such thing as a "transfer budget", there's a budget for contract renewals, agent fees, transfer fees and wages. That is 18m, 10m higher than last year (so I've been told).

Which is why there are target lists A, B and C. If you allocate a large section of the budget for one player on the A list you'll have to look at players on the C list for other position. Worth remembering not many transfers are paid up front, so if we sign a 1million pound player on a 4 year deal in most cases that 1m would be split up over 4 years, in some form, e.g. 400k, 300k, 250k, 150k.

• Like 3

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

wasn't interested in the Checkatrade games at all. Yes I was there for the Burnley game but that was against a Premier league team not a league 1 or championship team. 

Mowbray has been very busy in terms of recruitment and talking to clubs and agents about players. this is very slow process and people have to understand it takes time. Mowbray has his targets and he will busy persuading them. 

we signed 3 or 4 at this stage I think. 

I think Mowbray has been busy over there answering the phone and talking to agents and recruitment team. 

I wouldn't be worried at all if we didn't sign players within the next 10 to 14 days. its very important we sign the right player and not over pay in terms of transfer fees or agent fee or player wages. 

Mowbray does have his targets and I would imagine we are negotiating with clubs over signings but its a slow process at this stage of the season

The transfer window for championship clubs has been slow and the last a couple of days its pick up abit. I suspect Rovers and Mowbray are being careful to sign the right players and not wasting the budget he has got. Plus other clubs will only a player go when they have sign a replacement to replace them. 

Gladwin played in them and was horrendous again, yet you seem reluctant to acknowledge his incompetence for some reason.

The point in bold was addressed to me but has absolutely nothing to do with my points on Chapman, Samuel or why Whittinghams track record gives me more hope of him stepping up. I never at any point bemoaned our slow progress in the transfer market.

18 minutes ago, J*B said:

How do you know all this? Just seems like estimating and guesswork.

28 minutes ago, J*B said:

There isn't such thing as a "transfer budget", there's a budget for contract renewals, agent fees, transfer fees and wages. That is 18m (so I've been told). Which is why there are target lists A, B and C. If you allocate a large section of the budget for one player on the A list you'll have to look at players on the C list for other position. Worth remembering not many transfers are paid up front, so if we sign a 1million pound player on a 4 year deal in most cases that 1m would be split up over 4 years, in some form, e.g. 400k, 300k, 250k, 150k.

Which is why I asked because last years WAGE  budget (Mowbray specifically referred to a WAGE budget) was £8m so it follows that the overall budget last season was more than £8m. Something doesn't add up. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/may/01/blackburn-rovers-tony-mowbray-india-puzzle-venkys

There you go. The WAGE bill last season was £8.5m. Your £8m figure for everything (transfers, wages, renewals etc) is obviously wrong. Maybe you misunderstood what you were told. 

Edited by Ladyboys of Bank Top

A player I would like Rovers to sign is Marcus Maddison from Peterborough. His stats and particularly his assists are amazingly good. He made most of Jack Marroitt’s goals last year.  He is a player that Mowbray has said is a quality player and is at the right age etc. The Peterborough chairman also promised him he could leave if they got an acceptable offer. He could be one where there has been an offer made but which is way too low. However, the longer the window goes on the more a compromise might be made. This is pure wishful thinking on my part btw. I just hope he wasn’t the player rumoured to have been kicked into touch because of wearing ripped jeans etc. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Gladwin played in them and was horrendous again, yet you seem reluctant to acknowledge his incompetence for some reason.

The point in bold was addressed to me but has absolutely nothing to do with my points on Chapman, Samuel or why Whittinghams track record gives me more hope of him stepping up. I never at any point bemoaned our slow progress in the transfer market.

How do you know all this? Just seems like estimating and guesswork.

I didn't see those games so How could I comment on them. 

You posted this to me 'He hasnt done anything this summer bar sign Rothwell? ' So I replied to you explaining what Mowbray has been doing

JB has contacts at Ewood Park

Just now, roversinmyblood said:

A player I would like Rovers to sign is Marcus Maddison from Peterborough. His stats and particularly his assists are amazingly good. He made most of Jack Marroitt’s goals last year.  He is a player that Mowbray has said is a quality player and is at the right age etc. The Peterborough chairman also promised him he could leave if they got an acceptable offer. He could be one where there has been an offer made but which is way too low. However, the longer the window goes on the more a compromise might be made. This is pure wishful thinking on my part btw. I just hope he wasn’t the player rumoured to have been kicked into touch because of wearing ripped jeans etc. 

I would look at QPR winger Bright Osayi Samuel who has 1 season in the championship. 

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

thanks JB for info. 

I agree people need to stop worrying and calm down. 

Everybody is calm as far as I can see.

Unusually mellow it seems to me.

Sheff Utd have just sold a young winger called Brooks to Bournemouth for £12m. A Blades fan asked on twitter if Maddison was coming to replace him. Posh chairman replied no but that 2 clubs were close to agreeing terms with Maddison. Apparently he has a £2.5m release clause. 

The sort of player and the sort of price we should be in the market for. 

• Like 1

Sheff Utd have just sold a young winger called Brooks to Bournemouth for £12m. A Blades fan asked on twitter if Maddison was coming to replace him. Posh chairman replied no but that 2 clubs were close to agreeing terms with Maddison. Apparently he has a £2.5m release clause. 

not a player I would be looking at but Edwards and Baldwin would be my choices from there. Edwards bring skill and pace. Baldwin available for 250k as he has 12 months left on his contract so on the transfer list

I didn't see those games so How could I comment on them. 

You posted this to me 'He hasnt done anything this summer bar sign Rothwell? ' So I replied to you explaining what Mowbray has been doing

JB has contacts at Ewood Park

I would look at QPR winger Bright Osayi Samuel who has 1 season in the championship. 

You've not given me any examples or any historical evidence that Gladwin is anything but useless but we can leave that there. 

I know what hes been doing but you said you are happy with what hes done this summer, he hasnt actually done anything!

So does Alan Nixon in your mind...

Please can you look at my unanswered points below:

Im not saying that Chapman is the finished product. (Although in his only start we kept a clean sheet) Or that Mowbray is dishonest. I dont understand why you or Mowbray would be in favour of signing him to be a sub only. Surely you sign hin to fight for his place like any other position? We have no wingers bar a past it Conway who is also coined as a sub. We need 3 new wingers if one of them is Chapman as only a sub. 

As a general rule of thumb, we need to sign players that IMPROVE us, not players to make up the numbers ie signing new subs. 

Enough to score more than 0 after November! He didnt score enough or assist enough at League One level or perform consistently enough to suggest to me that he can score/perform regularly at Championship level.

Presumably because Whittingham has a career full of seasons proving that he can be a big asset at Championship level. Only question is his age but hes never been fast anyway.

not a player I would be looking at but Edwards and Baldwin would be my choices from there. Edwards bring skill and pace. Baldwin available for 250k as he has 12 months left on his contract so on the transfer list

Not sure they are the calibre of players that will keep us in the Championship. Baldwin in particular.

Maddison is a very good shout.

Obviously Nixon has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but when I asked him about chapman he said he might not come due to the fact that Mowbray wouldn’t see him as first choice. Which implies that either Mowbray thinks Conway is better or that he is after a higher calibre winger than Chapman, and Maddison may fit the bill from that?

Just now, roversfan99 said:

You've not given me any examples or any historical evidence that Gladwin is anything but useless but we can leave that there. 

I know what hes been doing but you said you are happy with what hes done this summer, he hasnt actually done anything!

So does Alan Nixon in your mind...

Please can you look at my unanswered points below:

Yes I'm happy Mowbray so far. Rovers have been careful and not over pay for players like Bauer who Charlton wanted 2 million for a player with 12 months left on contract is outrageous and pleased we didn't pay it. sure they been others but nothing is leaking and im pleased about that. 

Look at Mowbray comments and he said he would be sub at the start of season and work his way into the 1st team or that's the way I read it. 

We don't know how Mowbray will set up or play. He could play Bennett and Rothwell wide with Dack in hole in 4-2-3-1 formation or play 3-4-1-2 formation we don't know. 

I have suggested players that will improve us and before you carry on this assumption why not wait to see who we signed 1st please. 

On Samuel I did answered your points but you didn't answer my questions which were how many starts did he have after his last goal and in any games did he start or play up front and how many chances did he have to score? 

Whiitingham fitness and his ability to get up and down this season would be my question

50 minutes ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

There you go. The WAGE bill last season was £8.5m. Your £8m figure for everything (transfers, wages, renewals etc) is obviously wrong. Maybe you misunderstood what you were told. 

Have player departures been taken into consideration. End of contracts, end of player loans and cut in wages some players took to Remain at the club in League One, not to mention new contracts?

• Backroom
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I expect we will see some singings in the next couple of weeks. 

Wow really going out on a limb there chadster! 

1 minute ago, Igloo5090 said:

Obviously Nixon has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but when I asked him about chapman he said he might not come due to the fact that Mowbray wouldn’t see him as first choice. Which implies that either Mowbray thinks Conway is better or that he is after a higher calibre winger than Chapman, and Maddison may fit the bill from that?

He’s obviously just taken that from Mowbrays own words at the consultation evening where he said as much.

We’d have him but he’d have to accept being a sub and working for it  

• Like 1