BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Riverside Stand

Just now, JHRover said:

Sheffield Utd's ground holds 32,000, they rarely fill it, yet their owner has released plans for expansion up to 38,000. Brentford don't fill Griffin Park but because it is run down and not up to standard they are building a new stadium. Preston built their new stand when they only get 10,000 on games.

If you are serious about getting to the Prem you don't wait until getting there before work begins on the stadium, you do it in advance. If by some miracle we got to the Premier League and then decided to start work we would likely have a 3 sided ground and reduced capacity stadium for at least 12 months, better doing it whilst crowds are lower and the work can be done as easily as possible.

Can't imagine much happening on this front mind.

I am a longstanding colleague of your dad, he will know who I am! Whilst I accept your points, Jack didn't take the step when he could have done. The promised land (if that's what it is) seems a long way off. I don't know why the Loons would see this as a viable option, or if there is a company out there willing to finance it, all well and good. It could be mothballed at the present time IMO, and perhaps a simpler solution to remove the roof and redesign the current arrangement, removing the pillars etc. We rarely had sell outs in the PL. I would love the stand to be replaced with the original design however....it would have made a great stadium! As for others, Bournemouth have done nowt, and a capacity of 11,000, and don't get me started on the cricket field stand at the Turd......makes the RS state of the art!

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Controversial, I know, but I think they built the JW stand too big, which makes the Riverside look even worse.

(I’m not advocating reducing the height of the JW as I sit in there myself!)

• Like 1

The Jack Walker stand in my opinion is majestic and a fitting tribute to the great man. As for redevelopment of the Riverside I’ll believe it when I see it. I suspect it will be closed very soon under some pretext of health and safety and people forcibly moved elsewhere. 

• Like 4

Ewood should have been redeveloped as a Stadium as per Plan A, we ended up with Plan B which would have been ok but for the Riverside eyesore.

Anyway "we are where are" so a Riverside redevelopment, moving closer to the pitch, incorporating business and leisure money makers can only improve matters and give Ewood a better overall look.

Closing it completely would destroy the ground atmosphere for ever and those sitting pitchside in the Riverside would not, in my opinion, thank anyone for a move anywhere in the BBE, least of all stuck upstairs behind the goal.

I'm old enough to have sat upstairs in the old Riverside watching Billy Wilson, great view apart from those friggin pillars.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Just a deflection tactic because of the poor form probably this kind of talk surfaces every so often as does talk of closing it because of the foundations that have allegedly been suspect for years but still allow the stand to accommodate 5k when the need arises.........

lose again and we'll be linked with all sorts of players in Jan ?

The model of the finished Ewood that still resides in the Boardroom I believe was to mirror the Jack Walker stand on the Riverside...would have looked fantastic with about a 40k capacity.

So long as it doesn't impact on transfer finances why anyone would object to redevelopment of the 'Cowshed' is totally beyond me.

A structure similar to Gillinghams Medway Stand would look fine....https://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/priestfield-stadium-gillingham.html#anew-stadium

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

18 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

The model of the finished Ewood that still resides in the Boardroom I believe was to mirror the Jack Walker stand on the Riverside...would have looked fantastic with about a 40k capacity.

So long as it doesn't impact on transfer finances why anyone would object to redevelopment of the 'Cowshed' is totally beyond me.

A structure similar to Gillinghams Medway Stand would look fine....https://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/priestfield-stadium-gillingham.html#anew-stadium

Venkys might at a push go for a Brian Moore Stand, or just demolish and put seats on the hillside.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

7 minutes ago, Blackburn Bob said:

Will be a shame when it's gone. The cheapest seats in the house get the best view of the pitch. Lost count the amount of times I have sat directly opposite Jack walkers seat. 

Providing you are in the sweet spot in front of the posts but covered.

But you are right though, the rub will be when the price is no longer cheap and matches the JWL.

8 minutes ago, Blackburn Bob said:

Will be a shame when it's gone. The cheapest seats in the house get the best view of the pitch. Lost count the amount of times I have sat directly opposite Jack walkers seat. 

Riverside was always a good view, upstairs or on the terrace or in the allseater.

• Like 2

Those 'improvements' at Burnley consist of them filling in two corners to enable them to provide sufficient disabled seating in line with Premier League regulations. They've no choice in the matter and it seems are doing it as quickly and cheaply as possible by building on the corners rather than a new stand. 

I expect if we were to reach the Premier League again we would be under pressure to increase our disabled offerings which at present consist of putting people at pitch level often exposed to the elements. I would think we would also need some media improvements as the demands of live broadcasts through Sky and BT are much greater and need more space than they did 10 years ago. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Why couldn't the Riverside stand be named after Shearer or Dalglish?  The RFS Riverside Stand sounds so soulless

The Shearer idea would probably be unlikely, with the road outside being named after him. I get what you mean though.

I'm surprised that there has never been a Shearer chant at Ewood since he left (apart from during a testimonial game). I might be wrong and there could well have been, I just can't remember any. I still here the Cantona chants and Thierry Henry chants at their respective grounds. Shearer was the man for us and we should have something for him, IMO.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Why couldn't the Riverside stand be named after Shearer or Dalglish?  The RFS Riverside Stand sounds so soulless

Because although they were great here for a spell they are legends elsewhere.

There's only one name for the Riverside and that's the Tony Parkes Riverside stand.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Pretty sure most people would still just call it the Riverside anyway regardless... (i know i would) 

Also at some point for certain in the next 10 years or so! it really will have to be replaced anyway

Not sure whT you mean by it sounding soulless though, thats just a bit namby pamby. It's called tge Riverside simply because the river runs behind it, just as people will always call tge darwen end "the darwen end" because it has its toes in darwen