BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

This may be controversial but I actually don't think we should sign Armstrong. He was a big part of us getting promoted last season and there's no doubt he would fit in well however I just don't think he fits the system we play. Last season proved we are much better in a 4-2-3-1 formation and that is what I expect we will go with this season. I think we are all in agreement that Armstrong cant play as that 1 man up top on his own, we need someone who can hold it up and get on the end of crosses. While Armstrong can be effective in a wide forward role, the championship will be a step up from last season and IMO we'd be better off bringing in natural wide players who will give us width. I don't think we will get away with playing central suited players out wide again like we did last year with Payne and Armstrong as it makes us unbalanced.

If we are playing 2 upfront then its a different story and he'd be a great signing to link with Graham but I cant see it as I reckon we will need an extra man in midfield to cope with superior sides. As much as I like him I feel we should sign players who fit naturally into the system we play.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He is ,but he is all we've got to go off at this point unfortunatley :) 

He also says we are in for someone who hasn't been mentioned. I wonder he doesn't just mention them as that is meant to be his job. 

If we sign Armstrong he will be played on the wing/as an inside forward like last season

I'd be signing Armstrong to play up top as that is where he's at his best. Would rather get an out and out winger like Jon Taylor from Rotherham or a Harry Chapman ;) I hope Chapman comes back but it's a big risk. He had that injury then did the same injury on his comeback game, I hope he's fully recovered because if he has he'll be a class signing. 

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

Williams is a good player to have at this level. Happy with the renewal. Getting a bit anxious about making some new deals though.

We won't be the only set of fans feeling this way. There's not been many teams Champ or Prem overly active in the window so far. I expect when the World Cup is finished a LOT of deals will start being done. I'm confident we'll get a few more deals done before the end of the window for sure. 

20 minutes ago, Butty said:

We won't be the only set of fans feeling this way. There's not been many teams Champ or Prem overly active in the window so far. I expect when the World Cup is finished a LOT of deals will start being done. I'm confident we'll get a few more deals done before the end of the window for sure. 

The difference however being that most other Championship clubs were in the Championship last season and finished comfortably in the division, perhaps believing that they underachieved. Most other clubs haven't lost important players either so its as they were.

We're going up a level so naturally there is a greater need in theory at least for us to strengthen. Add to that we've lost 2-3 important players in Armstrong, Antonsson and Payne who were in and around the first team providing goals and creativity and there's a fair argument that we're now weaker than we were at the end of last season.

So I accept that we're not alone in being slow in the market but I'd also say there's a greater and more urgent need for us to be active than most others.

Just now, JHRover said:

The difference however being that most other Championship clubs were in the Championship last season and finished comfortably in the division, perhaps believing that they underachieved. Most other clubs haven't lost important players either so its as they were.

We're going up a level so naturally there is a greater need in theory at least for us to strengthen. Add to that we've lost 2-3 important players in Armstrong, Antonsson and Payne who were in and around the first team providing goals and creativity and there's a fair argument that we're now weaker than we were at the end of last season.

So I accept that we're not alone in being slow in the market but I'd also say there's a greater and more urgent need for us to be active than most others.

I agree that us going up a level means there's a greater need for us to strengthen, for sure. But theres so many sides yet to strengthen there squads at all in this league, and although most stayed up last year. You have to strengthen EVERY year to remain competitive, that's the number one rule. Look at the way we plummeted down the league after almost finishing in the play offs. It's not panic stations just yet.

1 hour ago, Butty said:

I'd be signing Armstrong to play up top as that is where he's at his best. Would rather get an out and out winger like Jon Taylor from Rotherham or a Harry Chapman ;) I hope Chapman comes back but it's a big risk. He had that injury then did the same injury on his comeback game, I hope he's fully recovered because if he has he'll be a class signing. 

I agree his injury problems last season is a worry, but he didn't suffer a recurrence of his prior hamstring injury but suffered a different (grade 2) one.

Edited by Torgeir

Just now, Tormund said:

Another striker that I wouldn’t be surprised if he is on the radar, is Tom Bradshaw from Barnsley. Good age, scored goals in this league. Will probably be cheap now they have been relegated. 

Hope not.
Awful for Barnsley since his move from Walsall.
20 goals in 86 games.

4 minutes ago, Tormund said:

Another striker that I wouldn’t be surprised if he is on the radar, is Tom Bradshaw from Barnsley. Good age, scored goals in this league. Will probably be cheap now they have been relegated. 

Second this, he should be on the radar, proven to get goals and fits the mould of the kind of striker we need. Havent heard of any interest from us tho and Millwall are currently in talks for him.

Edited by TruRover

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No wingers that Mowbray perceives to be starting wingers, so lets hope Nixon is typically wrong.

Kent is still an option yet. Chapman aswell. Plus who knows. 

But lets see who we signed before passing such judgements

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

My main point was that Nixon is the one talking nonsense. 

how? 

wasn't he right about Davenport signing here permanently. 

right about the Bauer, Chapman and Harrison links

5 hours ago, tomphil said:

Williams signs new deal, certainly he's earned it. Wonder where this leaves Bell in the team ?

Pleased Williams signed a new deal. 

Its leaves Bell and Williams fighting for the left back spot

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Kent is still an option yet. Chapman aswell. Plus who knows. 

But lets see who we signed before passing such judgements

how? 

wasn't he right about Davenport signing here permanently. 

right about the Bauer, Chapman and Harrison links

Pleased Williams signed a new deal. 

Its leaves Bell and Williams fighting for the left back spot

How was he right about the Bauer, Chapman and Harrison links? None of them have signed?! 

Im not convinced he was the one who broke the Davenport story, think it was the guy from Sky Sports, but hes wrong far more than hes right.

Agree that we need to see who we sign. Rumours, Nixon ones included, are in the main, rubbish. All we can judge on is deals confirmed either way. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

How was he right about the Bauer, Chapman and Harrison links? None of them have signed?! 

Im not convinced he was the one who broke the Davenport story, think it was the guy from Sky Sports, but hes wrong far more than hes right.

Agree that we need to see who we sign. Rumours, Nixon ones included, are in the main, rubbish. All we can judge on is deals confirmed either way. 

We bid for Bauer didn't we? reported by Nixon, Sharpe and the local Charlton reporter. 

We are interested in Chapman and Harrison. Local Bristol reporter said we are interested. Nixon confirm this also. It clear to me that we are after Chapman judging by Mowbray's comments

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

We bid for Bauer didn't we? reported by Nixon, Sharpe and the local Charlton reporter. 

We are interested in Chapman and Harrison. Local Bristol reporter said we are interested. Nixon confirm this also. It clear to me that we are after Chapman judging by Mowbray's comments

All rumours chaddy. Regurgitated by more than one reporter at times, but still rumours. I'll wait until they are shown with a Rovers shirt. You believe what you like.

All rumours chaddy. Regurgitated by more than one reporter at times, but still rumours. I'll wait until they are shown with a Rovers shirt. You believe what you like.

rumours? the Bauer bid was reported by 3 different sources. so it isn't rumour but Fact unless you are calling all 3 liars? 

Rumour - a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.

but we put a bid in for Bauer and all 3 reporters have confirmed this bid was put in. if you want I will find you the articles written by these reporters

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

but we put a bid in for Bauer and all 3 reporters have confirmed this bid was put in. if you want I will find you the articles written by these reporters

I believe that they did, maybe its a case of chinese whispers. Not bothered really unless he signs.

Anyway, lets end this debate here. Very tedious haha.

I believe that they did, maybe its a case of chinese whispers. Not bothered really unless he signs.

Anyway, lets end this debate here. Very tedious haha.

Chinese whispers? what are you on about. it was reported at both clubs reporters for local papers and national journalist