BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Charlton

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Does anyone know when the player know what the starting 11 is before the match. Is it on the day? Day before?

Good question. Martin O'Neill used to tell the Irish players half an hour before the game. I think managers do it differently. 

Some players can't sleep if they know they are playing in a big game. I suppose there are pros and cons to each. Personally I think it's better of they know the day before. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Good question. Martin O'Neill used to tell the Irish players half an hour before the game. I think managers do it differently. 

Some players can't sleep if they know they are playing in a big game. I suppose there are pros and cons to each. Personally I think it's better of they know the day before. 

It's something I've always thought. You used to always know when travis was playing because he's always put on his instagram story "game day". He puts that early-mid morning on the day. Just seeing Gallagher putting slot on instagram now saying "back at ewood tomorrow". Maybe he's been told he's starting. Not sure could all be speculation.

Edited by BankEnd Rover
  • Like 1

It's something I've always thought. You used to always know when travis was playing because he's always put on his instagram story "game day". He puts that early-mid morning on the day. Just seeing Gallagher putting slot on instagram now saying "back at ewood tomorrow". Maybe he's been told he's starting. Not sure could all be speculation.

Right, I missed that with Travis. I think they do a 11 v 11 game Thursday or Friday where one team is what will start. Speculation as well though. 

I suppose some players know they will start; Dack and Lenihan for sure. I think Armstrong definitely will too, but he has a lot of competition.

A big shock would be Rothwell in Dacks role though... Not impossible 

It's very hard to predict the exact team. I just hope Mowbray doesn't leave Rothwell out. I would be awful disappointed if he did. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's just mind games from both managers. Mowbray expects nothing less than a win and they players know that. 

I hope we do go for it from early on, that interview would indicate an affirmative.

I'm sure I read a Mowbray interview some time ago that said he decided on the team the day before but then slept on it so announcing to the players on Matchday morning, which is soon enough

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Travis Johnson

Gallagher   Dack   Arma

Graham

Thats the team I think we will be seeing tomorrow. Really hope Rothwell is in the place of Gallagher but really cannot see it. Shame really as the lad hasn't done anything to warrant being back on the bench. Rothwell in the team above with yon man at the back and we have a team to challenge for the top 6.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I hope we do go for it from early on, that interview would indicate an affirmative.

Feck sake yes. Too many games last season saw us start cold. This game isn't about containment of Charlton. It's about pushing them back and showing them that this Rovers team is much stronger than what they faced in league 1. It's huge. Start as we mean to go on. 

I think we need to show them respect, sure, but we have spent far more, we have a season back in the championship under our belts and we are talking about promotion. Anything less than a win not good enough. 

I think they will find it difficult to deal with Dack, Rothwell and Armstrong. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Walton

Travis Johnson

Gallagher   Dack   Arma

Graham

Thats the team I think we will be seeing tomorrow. Really hope Rothwell is in the place of Gallagher but really cannot see it. Shame really as the lad hasn't done anything to warrant being back on the bench. Rothwell in the team above with yon man at the back and we have a team to challenge for the top 6.

I think it will be;

Walton

Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Johson Evans

Armstrong    Dack      Downing

Brereton

44 minutes ago, AAK said:

I think it will be;

Walton

Johson Evans

Brereton

Have you purposefully chosen the most uninspiring team you could or is that genuinely the line up you expect

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Feck sake yes. Too many games last season saw us start cold. This game isn't about containment of Charlton. It's about pushing them back and showing them that this Rovers team is much stronger than what they faced in league 1. It's huge. Start as we mean to go on. 

I think we need to show them respect, sure, but we have spent far more, we have a season back in the championship under our belts and we are talking about promotion. Anything less than a win not good enough. 

I think they will find it difficult to deal with Dack, Rothwell and Armstrong. 

Completely agree. We need to come out all guns blazing, get in their faces and make them sweat. I'm skeptical as to whether this will actually happen though as it is not the Mowbray way. I mean, we should have been ready to come out and hammer Southend in our first game of 17-18 - much stronger squad, some feelings of injustice over being relegated with 51 points, bought the best player in the division in Dack, etc. Didn't happen though. I'm not sure I ever remember us coming out against any team and going for the jugular under Mowbray. Possibly against Rotherham at Ewood in 17-18 when we won 2-0? I remember being very impressed with our first half performance in that one. Then there was Bury at home in February where we came out looking like we'd been on the piss the night before and got booed off at half time. Much better second half though!

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Walton

Travis Johnson

Gallagher   Dack   Arma

Graham

Not sure I'd play Walton by the corner flag, personally ;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DE. said:

Completely agree. We need to come out all guns blazing, get in their faces and make them sweat. I'm skeptical as to whether this will actually happen though as it is not the Mowbray way. I mean, we should have been ready to come out and hammer Southend in our first game of 17-18 - much stronger squad, some feelings of injustice over being relegated with 51 points, bought the best player in the division in Dack, etc. Didn't happen though. I'm not sure I ever remember us coming out against any team and going for the jugular under Mowbray. Possibly against Rotherham at Ewood in 17-18 when we won 2-0? I remember being very impressed with our first half performance in that one. Then there was Bury at home in February where we came out looking like we'd been on the piss the night before and got booed off at half time. Much better second half though!

Yeah, that Rotherham game was our best overall performance at home in the first part of the League One season.

Hull at home last season springs to mind apart from that, 2-0 up in 20 mins against an in form team, we won the ball back high and didn't let them have a sniff all game.

Would be nice to see it more often though yep.

1 hour ago, AAK said:

I think it will be;

Walton

Johson Evans

Brereton

Bloody hope not!

• Backroom
Just now, frosty said:

Yeah, that Rotherham game was our best overall performance at home in the first part of the League One season.

Hull at home last season springs to mind apart from that, 2-0 up in 20 mins against an in form team, we won the ball back high and didn't let them have a sniff all game.

Would be nice to see it more often though yep.

Unfortunately our default position in the first half of games seems to be contain and keep it tight. Which would be fine if we didn't concede so many second half goals, particularly away from home. The tactic Mowbray has seems to work quite well at Ewood - although the amount of HT 0-0's at home last season was a little bit ridiculous - but it clearly doesn't work away from home so we need to work out a better away to collect points on our travels. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Is that a TM quote then? We have two players who I assume each cost us more than the entire Charlton squad? If you can buy an entire squad of players for less that are better quality than our entire squad, something went wrong here. The comment I'd expect would be more like 'hopefully our extra quality will be enough to see off their momentum'.

Presumably just being excessively modest... (or I've misunderstood who you're quoting)

His exact words. 

2 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Have you purposefully chosen the most uninspiring team you could or is that genuinely the line up you expect

Not what i would choose its what i EXPECT from an uninspriring manager.