Neal

Tony Mowbray Discussion

8 hours ago, Tom said:

A club with ambition throws blank cheque at Eddie Howe tonight 

Bournemouth did that and got relegated. I think he's a very likeable bloke and a good coach but some of his signings at B'mouth have been Brereton-esque.

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Bournemouth did that and got relegated. I think he's a very likeable bloke and a good coach but some of his signings at B'mouth have been Brereton-esque.

After taking a small club from the brink of relegation to non league football to the Premier League, I think he can be forgiven for one relegation.

Just now, martonrover said:

After taking a small club from the brink of relegation to non league football to the Premier League, I think he can be forgiven for one relegation.

He's done a great job overall, my point was more about how much money he's wasted on poor signings in the last couple of years. 

Not easy though when you're Bournemouth how do you attract the kind of players good enough to improve your Prem standing ?

Either got to offer money way above your station or just hope they all want to live in a nice area.  He probably should have altered their style a bit don't think he has that in his locker.

Eddie probably needs some time to chill out with his family, and watch some football without the pressure of results to improve. I can see him being linked with West Ham when Moyes is inevitably sacked, and meets up with the British Managers Association.

Just now, tomphil said:

Not easy though when you're Bournemouth how do you attract the kind of players good enough to improve your Prem standing ?

Either got to offer money way above your station or just hope they all want to live in a nice area.  He probably should have altered their style a bit don't think he has that in his locker.

He hasn't done as well as Dyche and no fecker wants to live in Burnley! 

They’ve blown a big opportunity to really grow the club with the constant wrangling over the ground. Large and affluent catchment area, there was a massive waiting list for season tickets, but of course with a 10,000 capacity ground you aren’t getting them in.

That waiting list will now miraculously disappear and they’ll probably be back in the third tier at some point and back down to 4/5,000 crowds. 

Their PL legacy seems to be massive debt and enriched players and agents.

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He hasn't done as well as Dyche and no fecker wants to live in Burnley! 

Back to substance over style they set out to merely survive ever season and anything else is a bonus. I'd argue recruiting the more agricultural types is a bit easier.  Still got to know what you're doing and what you're looking for obviously.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

They’ve blown a big opportunity to really grow the club with the constant wrangling over the ground. Large and affluent catchment area, there was a massive waiting list for season tickets, but of course with a 10,000 capacity ground you aren’t getting them in.

That waiting list will now miraculously disappear and they’ll probably be back in the third tier at some point and back down to 4/5,000 crowds. 

Their PL legacy seems to be massive debt and enriched players and agents.

I thought they had a Russian Oligarch funding them? If he stays they'll be fine. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

Posted (edited)

Nowhere near oligarch level, doubt they’ll be back again.

Edited by Mattyblue

I never thought I'd write this, but I read a mildly interesting article on LancsLive today. 

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-director-football-ambition-mowbray-18703922

It's about whether we'd be better served with a Director of Football negotiating contracts rather than the self-confessed poor negotiator known to us as Tony Mowbray.

32 minutes ago, m1st said:

I never thought I'd write this, but I read a mildly interesting article on LancsLive today. 

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-director-football-ambition-mowbray-18703922

It's about whether we'd be better served with a Director of Football negotiating contracts rather than the self-confessed poor negotiator known to us as Tony Mowbray.

Don't you mean Mark Venus ? I thought he was the chief negotiator.

33 minutes ago, m1st said:

But doesn't Venus do that ?  Isn't he the one of dual roles coaching and sorting contracts.

More odd stuff at BRFC.

Think that’s what’s called a ‘drawer article’, i.e to pull out and fill some space when there’s feck all happening in the close season...

I was just referring to what TM said in the article about his own approach to negotiating.

Sure that’s a fairly old quote, from last summer, maybe.

Plenty of time during the first 100 minutes of the Play-off Final last night to reflect on what an absolute plank Mowbray is.

If he had kept Raya, gone balls out to bring Harrison Reed back for another season on a loan with option to buy and left Walton, Johnson and Gallagher well alone then...

1) we would be financially in a better place

2) Travis and Reed would have been the best central midfield pairing in the division- probably worth at least half a dozen points.

3) Buckley, Rankin-Costello, Vale, Davenport and Chapman would have had more game time and we would have seen a lot more of the promise shown in the fag end of last season and I bet at least one would have kicked on as a challenger for a first team regular slot

4) Raya would have dropped clangers but less than Walton and would have pulled of saves Walton can only dream of- probably worth at least another six points.

5) We would have made the Play-offs even despite Mowbray cock ups gifting away points left right and centre.

I am not following the transfer thread this summer.

If it is anything like last summer we will be materially worse off at the end of the window than we were at the start. In fact I hope Mowbray has been superglued away from phone, fax and internet and the tea lady told to go get a new keeper.