Jump to content
JoeH

Wigan Athletic (H) - Monday Night Football (urgh..)

Recommended Posts

Sometimes we just have to accept a team have done their homework and do a job on us. Doesn't make it any easier to take and we should be able to deal with it but we are what we are.

Forever terrified of the bright lights of the top 8 !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not saying my affliction is any worse than Dack's but I thought my feet were going to drop off around 70 minutes.

Shithouse of a game, that. Shite ref. Wheelbarrow on display. Man of the match had a terrible game. Lads sitting next to us needed three attempts to find what row they were sitting on. Really set the tone.

Back to the Bristol City team for Boxing Day, I think. Time for our pricey strikers to start winning football games for us.

Edited by CD_93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

20 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Thought Dack was useless before his injury, not for the first time this season. Will miss his goals, but from general play not so much, we looked far better last week going forward as a 4-4-2 with Holtby and Rothwell as the wide players. 
 

Im sure Travis was embarrassed with the man of the match award, he was really bad tonight. I would just not have bothered with it tonight.

Need some new players.

Credit to Wigan, see much worse sides this year at Ewood.

Walton deserved tbe award tonight for the few saves he made 

Edited by Gary C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

How gutting that it looks as though Dack is going to be out for the season. Football really is a cruel game. The one player we’d pick to not have a serious injury, and that player goes and gets one. 

He wont leave now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rovers11 said:

Trying to look on the bright side, at least we have a ready-made replacement in Holtby to come in and play in his best position. He’s not as good as Dack but he is still a class player. 

I think this is our opportunity to switch to a 4-4-2.

We looked more solid against Bristol City than we have for any of Mowbray's time in charge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dack injury, watch carefully. Morsy’s hip smashes into knee as he bundled Dack out of play. Not obvious. Rovers too polite. What is that chimp thing Mowbray does on the touch line?

Edited by aletheia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awful performance, again stumbling against a poor team at home and the Dack injury as our only source of goals is surely the end of any play off hope.

Walton possibly our best player, made 3 saves none of which were overly difficult but he was safe in net.

Williams is not good enough, made one decent block but dreadful on the ball, Lenihan looked a different player without Adarabioyo. Nyambe frustrated the life out of me, he gets so far and has no subtelty or creativity to do the final part and turns back. Downing had one of his poorest games for us if not the poorest, his crossing was awful.

Evans and Travis lost the midfield battle. Rothwell again was totally anonymous, not taking his chances. Armstrong again very poor and Dack quiet but we certainly need to sign an attacker now. Our only source of goals in a side that is misconceived to be good in attack and bad in defence has now been taken from us. Graham quiet but good movement and so unlucky with his header.

Holtby was bright when he came on and needs a run as a number 10 although he had to score. Gallagher was stupidly played wide and did nothing and Johnson was incredibly clumsy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Languid first half. Huffed and puffed second half without ever clicking into gear. Wigan came to do a job by breaking the play up with niggly fouls and were assisted by the referee who was as bad as I’ve ever seen.

All in all. A frustrating day at the office. I didn’t think we bottled it. Dacks injury potential to derail our season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoping Holtby can fill the Dack void as Dack could be out a while if it's a serious knee injury

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First match I've been on live for a year or so.

My observations:

1) Williams - Seemed very rusty and distribution poor for someone who has played LB for long periods and isn't just a big ugly CB 

2) Desperately need some genuine width in the side when we come up against teams like Wigan today.

I like Rothwell but he's more effective centrally and end product not there often enough.

Armstrong was woeful, seemed lazy and completely ineffective. Would have hooked him at half time. The amount of times he left Nyambe completely isolated on the right wing was painful.

3) We got overrun in the middle of the park, Travis and Evans never managed to get their foot on the ball and feed our creative players unfortunately.

4) Fingers crossed Dack isn't too seriously hurt, I was in the Riverside and the cries of pain weren't making it look too good.

Merry Christmas all!

 

Edited by jones_rover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, roversfan99 said:

Awful performance, again stumbling against a poor team at home and the Dack injury as our only source of goals is surely the end of any play off hope.

Walton possibly our best player, made 3 saves none of which were overly difficult but he was safe in net.

Williams is not good enough, made one decent block but dreadful on the ball, Lenihan looked a different player without Adarabioyo. Nyambe frustrated the life out of me, he gets so far and has no subtelty or creativity to do the final part and turns back. Downing had one of his poorest games for us if not the poorest, his crossing was awful.

Evans and Travis lost the midfield battle. Rothwell again was totally anonymous, not taking his chances. Armstrong again very poor and Dack quiet but we certainly need to sign an attacker now. Our only source of goals in a side that is misconceived to be good in attack and bad in defence has now been taken from us. Graham quiet but good movement and so unlucky with his header.

Holtby was bright when he came on and needs a run as a number 10 although he had to score. Gallagher was stupidly played wide and did nothing and Johnson was incredibly clumsy.

 

nyambe was hamstrung by bloody armstrong disapearing inside and not backing him up or overlapping,same with rothwell on the otherside,neither are to intelligent football wise but can do two things,run and dribble,why the **** they keep going inside is beyond me,i think id`e end up throwing the tea urn at both of them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed Nyambe seems to have difficulty trapping the ball dead, as it invariably bobbles up every time it is passed to him.

Cobblers of a performance from the Rovers this evening. But as they say, in football you have to beat the team that's in front of you on the park. We didn't beat, hurt, unsettle, worry or upset Wigan's game plan one iota this evening and if anything, they might feel more aggrieved not to have won than us.

Onwards and upwards chaps and chappesses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jones_rover said:

2) Desperately need some genuine width in the side when we come up against teams like Wigan today.

 

We have a winger. He won't make the matchday squad until he learns the "seriousness of football".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor

Well that was bloody awful. That first half was such a half arsed display, it was unreal. Thousands of fans returning to Ewood for the first time since the Oxford game, and what did we do? We didn’t turn up until after half time.

The ref was absolutely awful too- he killed any tempo due to his love affair with the sound of his own whistle. The fact he put his foot on the ball to stop us pumping it forward, in injury time, summed him up. I can’t ever remember an official doing that. 
 

On the flip side of the coin, we’d have probably lost that a few months back- Charlton and Luton spring to mind. The Brum game will be far tougher though. A game that should be winnable will be hard going, due to the longer rest period they’ve had. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must have seen a worse first half but I can't remember one. We were out enthused again. They wanted it more, ran harder, ran further, won most of the second balls. bullied us when they needed to. We had a good five minutes, after that it was a disjointed shambles with our manager stood there like a bloke waiting for the last bus home.

Second half was a slight improvement but nowhere near good enough to win the game. Walking football won't beat running football ever. Too many players were talking the ball stood still, not enough movement, not enough balls played into a space for players to run on to etc etc. Totally underwhelming performance.We got murdered in midfield, the two " wingers " never got in the game and playing both of Travis and Evans in midfield at home against the bottom of the league club tells you all you need to know. No link between attack and defence. Made to look 2nd best for large parts of the game by the bottom club at home - again.

Walton 8 Good save at the death bit allowed himself to be knocked over near the end. I'm not convinced.

Nyambe 6 Defended ok but no end product going forward.

Lenihan 7  Our best defender.

Williams 5 Is this guy colour blind ?

Downing 6 Not his best game but got no help from those around him.

Armstrong 5 Hardly in the game.

Travis 7 Worked hard but doesn't get forward enough.

Evans 5 Normal service resumed.

Rothwell 5 Did next to nothing

Dack 5 Same as Rothwell.

Graham 6 Came closest to scoring

Subs Johnson 5 Hardly in it. Holtby 7 Made a difference when he came on. Gallagher 5 Hardly in it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Awful performance, again stumbling against a poor team at home and the Dack injury as our only source of goals is surely the end of any play off hope.

Walton possibly our best player, made 3 saves none of which were overly difficult but he was safe in net.

Williams is not good enough, made one decent block but dreadful on the ball, Lenihan looked a different player without Adarabioyo. Nyambe frustrated the life out of me, he gets so far and has no subtelty or creativity to do the final part and turns back. Downing had one of his poorest games for us if not the poorest, his crossing was awful.

Evans and Travis lost the midfield battle. Rothwell again was totally anonymous, not taking his chances. Armstrong again very poor and Dack quiet but we certainly need to sign an attacker now. Our only source of goals in a side that is misconceived to be good in attack and bad in defence has now been taken from us. Graham quiet but good movement and so unlucky with his header.

Holtby was bright when he came on and needs a run as a number 10 although he had to score. Gallagher was stupidly played wide and did nothing and Johnson was incredibly clumsy.

 

Think your giving Lenihan a free ride there, thought he shocking in possession tonight.

Armstrong was very poor and looked a yard slower than usual. But thought Rothwell was good second half after barely touching the ball in the first half.

Evans was poor in possession, dack wasn't really in the game before his injury, Holtby gave a bit of hope.

Edited by BlackburnEnd75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really poor game. Cant think of anyone who had a good game or many positives to take. Couple of the main issues I could see:

1. The distribution of Lenihan and William's was abysmal. William's was consistently shocking with the ball all game. It's as if hes blind in one eye and cant see the easy pass to the left back. Lenihan almost cost us the game two or three times passing it to their strikers. How long is Tosin out for? Desperate for another centre back. 

2. Whilst we talk about the defence needs to be a priority some of our attackers are just plain not good enough and never will be. Armstrong was woeful. Rothwell excited but never seems to produce anything. Graham never had anyone near him. A fast tricky winger who stays wide and runs at teams would have been useful today (isn't there one of them in the reserves already??)

3. Shows how close the league is. Not much between Wigan and Swansea Us or Brentford from that...apart from about 10 points. 

Not a good result but could be worse. Nice to sit in a pretty full Jack Walker stand. 

losing Dack is the main downer. 

ps. The Wigan fans and team look a bunch of scummers. Feining to give the ball back only to try a through ball? and who cheers an injury like that? 

 

Edited by benhben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got in will post a report on the game in the morning.

Thought I’d have a gander on There forum, wish I hadn’t...

Gloating about Dack and the amount liking the guys post. Vile.

 

E669734E-86D0-4B0B-BEDD-55EA0569B9AC.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We seem to lack the physicality to play Wigan.  They've bullied us since league 1 -invariably getting the better of results over last 3 years.  

To a man though, we were poor all over the pitch (Walton aside). Downing's fabled delivery was appalling tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

nyambe was hamstrung by bloody armstrong disapearing inside and not backing him up or overlapping,same with rothwell on the otherside,neither are to intelligent football wise but can do two things,run and dribble,why the **** they keep going inside is beyond me,i think id`e end up throwing the tea urn at both of them

Armstrong was crap but Nyambe has constantly had a problem in terms of being fronted up by a defender. His crossing ability is almost non existent and he is a bit of a one trick pony in terms of unless he can touch it round his defender and sprint he struggles to beat a man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, aletheia said:

Dack injury, watch carefully. Morsy’s hip smashes into knee as he bundled Dack out of play. Not obvious. Rovers too polite. What is that chimp thing Mowbray does on the touch line?

Clear as day on purpose he tried it earlier on in the game leaving one in on him or Travis after the ball had gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I must have seen a worse first half but I can't remember one. We were out enthused again. They wanted it more, ran harder, ran further, won most of the second balls. bullied us when they needed to. We had a good five minutes, after that it was a disjointed shambles with our manager stood there like a bloke waiting for the last bus home.

Second half was a slight improvement but nowhere near good enough to win the game. Walking football won't beat running football ever. Too many players were talking the ball stood still, not enough movement, not enough balls played into a space for players to run on to etc etc. Totally underwhelming performance.We got murdered in midfield, the two " wingers " never got in the game and playing both of Travis and Evans in midfield at home against the bottom of the league club tells you all you need to know. No link between attack and defence. Made to look 2nd best for large parts of the game by the bottom club at home - again.

Walton 8 Good save at the death bit allowed himself to be knocked over near the end. I'm not convinced.

Nyambe 6 Defended ok but no end product going forward.

Lenihan 7  Our best defender.

Williams 5 Is this guy colour blind ?

Downing 6 Not his best game but got no help from those around him.

Armstrong 5 Hardly in the game.

Travis 7 Worked hard but doesn't get forward enough.

Evans 5 Normal service resumed.

Rothwell 5 Did next to nothing

Dack 5 Same as Rothwell.

Graham 6 Came closest to scoring

Subs Johnson 5 Hardly in it. Holtby 7 Made a difference when he came on. Gallagher 5 Hardly in 

Think you've overrated lenihan a lot and you've been too harsh on Rothwell who did well second half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.