BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I think keepers you've got to consider McCarthy given the season hes been having (excluding the 9-0) over henderson who's not playing. Also there was a story going round about how Martinez could be eligible for England now, it wont happen but I would love that. Really rate him. 

Right back, wan bissaka and trippier would be unlucky to miss out but in who's place. It's a difficult position to chose with the talent available. TAA, I'd be tempted to leave out, not having a great season and I dont think we've got the defence that liverpool had when he was firing. 

Centre back I cant see gomez being fit in time and certainly not back to his best so id take coady.

Cant argue with the rest but I dont envy who has to pick the starting 11. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Looking forward to the Summer and the Euro's I thought I would have a look at the squad I would be taking to them. 

Keepers- 

Pickford, Pope, Henderson, 

Right backs

Alexander-Arnold, James

left backs

Chilwell, Shaw

Centre backs

Stones, Maguire, Keane, Gomez, Mings(if Southgate will play 3 at the back, I wouldn't, also I dont know if Gomez will be fit by end of the season)

Midfielders

Rice, Mount, Foden, Maddison, Henderson, Sterling, Sancho, Grealish, Philips

Attackers

Kane, Rashford, Calvin-Lewin

At this moment of time if I had to pick a squad I'd go with.

Keepers: Pope, Pickford, McCarthy

Right Backs: Trippier, Alexander-Arnold

Left Backs: Shaw, Saka

Centre Backs: Stones, Maguire, Keane, Godfrey

Midfielders: Rice, Henderson, Grealish, Foden, Mount, Maddison

Attackers: Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Bamford, Calvert-Lewin

As for the starting 11 I'd go with.

Pope

Trippier     Maguire        Stones     Shaw

Rice
           Henderson           Grealish

Sterling                                         Rashford

Kane

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Looking forward to the Summer and the Euro's I thought I would have a look at the squad I would be taking to them. 

Keepers- 

Pickford, Pope, Henderson, 

Right backs

Alexander-Arnold, James

left backs

Chilwell, Shaw

Centre backs

Stones, Maguire, Keane, Gomez, Mings(if Southgate will play 3 at the back, I wouldn't, also I dont know if Gomez will be fit by end of the season)

Midfielders

Rice, Mount, Foden, Maddison, Henderson, Sterling, Sancho, Grealish, Philips

Attackers

Kane, Rashford, Calvin-Lewin

Can’t argue with that . Looks good on paper time will on the pitch 

COE 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Pope, Pickford, Johnstone

Alexander Arnold, Shaw, Chilwell, Tarkowski, Stones, Maguire, Mings, James

Henderson, Rice, Phillips, Foden, Grealish, Mount, Maddison

Kane, Calvert Lewin, Rashford, Sterling, Sancho

Pope

Alexander Arnold Stones Tarkowski Shaw

Henderson Rice

Sancho Foden Sterling

Kane

Any of the centre backs next to Stones would be ok, ive assumed Gomez is out.

Not Rice's biggest fan but he would give a bit more defensive solidity and allow the front 4 to attack. Grealish v Sancho is 50/50.

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No Michael Keane or Ben Godfrey in squad after Everton form this season but Tarkowski from.a side in bottom 6 @roversfan99?

Godfrey has impressed but year on year, Tarkowski shows how good a defender he is. Burnley are less dominant than Everton but have actually conceded 3 less goals.

Centre back is a position where we have lots of ok players, but none are stand out, bar Stones and even he has only come back into the picture this season. 

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Godfrey has impressed but year on year, Tarkowski shows how good a defender he is. Burnley are less dominant than Everton but have actually conceded 3 less goals.

Centre back is a position where we have lots of ok players, but none are stand out, bar Stones and even he has only come back into the picture this season. 

Tarkowski for one is about 8th on my list. Mings is better defender. Coady, Godfrey and Keane all ahead of him. 

Stones and Maguire are the stand out in that position now

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

How can you not have Sancho or Sterling in the starting 11? 

In fairness i havent seen Sancho too much this season so dont know what kind of form he's in. Sterling, I really dont rate for England, he's a good player in a city side where the other 10 players create space and a shed load of chances each game but for England he wont get that space or those chances. 

1 minute ago, RoverDom said:

In fairness i havent seen Sancho too much this season so dont know what kind of form he's in. Sterling, I really dont rate for England, he's a good player in a city side where the other 10 players create space and a shed load of chances each game but for England he wont get that space or those chances. 

Sancho has 10 goals and 15 assists this season 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Tarkowski for one is about 8th on my list. Mings is better defender. Coady, Godfrey and Keane all ahead of him. 

Stones and Maguire are the stand out in that position now

Tarkowski has proved how good a defender he is over a number of seasons, Burnley have conceded less than Everton and Man United this season. I suspect that playing for an unfashionable club and as he isnt a ball playing centre back (although he is comfortable on the ball) that he will be dismissed as you are doing.

Does Maguire get in without the 80m price tag? I would say not, but as a big money signing at United, he will be deemed first pick even though I would be more wary of a mistake from him.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Tarkowski has proved how good a defender he is over a number of seasons, Burnley have conceded less than Everton and Man United this season. I suspect that playing for an unfashionable club and as he isnt a ball playing centre back (although he is comfortable on the ball) that he will be dismissed as you are doing.

Does Maguire get in without the 80m price tag? I would say not, but as a big money signing at United, he will be deemed first pick even though I would be more wary of a mistake from him.

I would have picked Maguire when he was at Leicester. I have rated him for a few years now. 

Keane was excellent last night against Liverpool. 

England have got an absolutely outrageous amount of attacking talent - Kane and Calvert-Lewin are fantastic target men. Sancho, Sterling, Foden, Grealish, Rashford, Maddison all excellent inside forwards. It's an incredible pool to choose from.

"Proper midfielders" are a bit more mixed. I'm not 100% sold on Rice, Henderson is looking off the pace. After those two it get pretty slim pretty quickly. C

Full backs we have very good options. 

Centreback is utterly terrible though. I will be surprised if Southgate switches to four at the back after persevering with three for so long. But then if he does that he's leaving out one superb attacker for a third rubbish centreback.

Goalkeepers quite poor by international standards.

Looking at the squad you would be tempted to just go for a Keegan Hari-Kari kind of approach as it really is forwards where our assets lie.

Shame really as a couple of decent centrebacks and we could go into the tournament quite confident, but you'd have to say it's going to be a bit unpredictable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2021 at 22:08, joey_big_nose said:

Shame really as a couple of decent centrebacks and we could go into the tournament quite confident, but you'd have to say it's going to be a bit unpredictable.

I don't know why Wan-Bissaka has never been tried as a right centre back. It's so infuriating that we have a player who's so defensively sound (when England are lacking good defensive players and who clearly isn't an attacking full back), and we might lose him to the DR Congo team because he won't even get in the squad with the embarassment of talent we have at right back already.

Seems obvious, but that's not the way football works (as we well know).

• Like 2

On 21/02/2021 at 22:08, joey_big_nose said:

England have got an absolutely outrageous amount of attacking talent - Kane and Calvert-Lewin are fantastic target men. Sancho, Sterling, Foden, Grealish, Rashford, Maddison all excellent inside forwards. It's an incredible pool to choose from.

"Proper midfielders" are a bit more mixed. I'm not 100% sold on Rice, Henderson is looking off the pace. After those two it get pretty slim pretty quickly. C

Full backs we have very good options. 

Centreback is utterly terrible though. I will be surprised if Southgate switches to four at the back after persevering with three for so long. But then if he does that he's leaving out one superb attacker for a third rubbish centreback.

Goalkeepers quite poor by international standards.

Looking at the squad you would be tempted to just go for a Keegan Hari-Kari kind of approach as it really is forwards where our assets lie.

I would say our centreback options aren't that bad. Tomori is playing regularly for Milan. Gomez might be back.  Stones is superb.  Konsa is doing well at villa.

2 hours ago, jny said:

I don't know why Wan-Bissaka has never been tried as a right centre back. It's so infuriating that we have a player who's so defensively sound (when England are lacking good defensive players and who clearly isn't an attacking full back), and we might lose him to the DR Congo team because he won't even get in the squad with the embarassment of talent we have at right back already.

Seems obvious, but that's not the way football works (as we well know).

A back 3 would suit awb. Also reece james and walker can play in a back 3

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I would say our centreback options aren't that bad. Tomori is playing regularly for Milan. Gomez might be back.  Stones is superb.  Konsa is doing well at villa.

Tomori definitely at the moment. I can't help thinking Gomez, Stones and, to a lesser degree, Konsa look better because of the players around them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Worrying we've lost another dual player in musah to the USA. After musiala.  How can we stop English players from being tapped up by other countries as its happening alot. I know musah and musialas Ties to England were tenuous at best but we are bringing alot of dual national players through now which should be being brought through the English youth system.  At one point it was Scotland and Wales and Ireland now we have African countries plus Jamaica.  Its pretty unfair on England when other countries are tapping these players up

It is unlikely to happen but I think I would consider Dwight McNeil for the squad. I feel he is unique in terms of his ability to play as an out and out left winger - even more so than Saka. I see most of the current crop wanting to come in-field, when attacking, so that different option might be useful as a last throw of the dice. But, it would be an unexpected choice, as Southgate is probably anticipating an in-from Shaw and, perhaps, Saka to suffice down that flank and, of course, then there's the No.10/attacking midfielders to choose from.

On a different note, I think England U19s squad is announced soon for some games. It seems to have been a while since Rovers players got into the U19s/U20s, despite relatively successfully youth teams.

Edit; Forgot Harvey Barnes.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

Southgate's latest squad is out;

Keepers: Henderson (Manchester United), Johnstone (West Brom), Pope (Burnley)

Defenders: Chilwell (Chelsea), Coady (Wolves), Dier (Tottenham), James (Chelsea), Maguire (Manchester United), Mings (Aston Villa), Shaw (Manchester United), Stones (Manchester City), Trippier (Atlético Madrid), Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Foden (Manchester City), Lingard (West Ham), Mount (Chelsea), Phillips (Leeds), Rice (West Ham), Ward-Prowse (Southampton).

Strikers: Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Kane (Tottenham), Rashford (Manchester United), Saka (Arsenal), Sterling (Manchester City), Watkins (Aston Villa).

No Pickford, TAA, Tarkowski, Keane, Justin (injured?) Sancho, Grealish (injured?), Maddison (injured?), Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Greenwood, Hudson-Odoi, Jones (Liverpool), and McNeil were all called up to the u21 squad that is also having it's tournament this summer.

Ward-Prowse is a new name. He's not been mentioned on here before now. He is a solid yet unspectacular player. However he is exceptional in dead ball situations which is something that Southgate is very fond of. Him whipping in free kicks and corners would cause no end of havoc.