BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Happenings

Stuart

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really is down to interpretation. In my eyes 'world class' is reserved for the top 2/3 players worldwide in each respective position. England wise over recent years IMO only Ashley Cole and perhaps at one point in his career, Wayne Rooney, could be classed as world class players. There are cases for Beckham and Gerrard but IMO they were top players, as opposed to world class.

Gerrard had some games, particularly cup finals for Liverpool, where he was near superhuman. The CL final in Istanbul and the FA cup final against West Ham stand out. Amazing feats.

However his standard of performance over a season was never really consistently outstanding like Shearer for us in 95, Scholes, Ronaldo and Giggs for united, Viera for Arse in 1998, Henry in 2002, Drogba for Chelsea in 2005 etc.

I feel that he was a bit of a jack of all trades made it difficult to be consistently brilliant. He'd try and do everything, lose focus, and it weakens his game. Rooney has a similar issue. The best players know their role.

Also in the England side of the mid 2000s having him, Scholes, Lampard, Rooney and Joe Cole all at the same time was a joke. Individually all very good players (Scholes easily the best though) but effectively all very similar in where they want to play - in the hole behind the strikers. It made finding balance impossible, we were so narrow all the time and lacked anyone who could put a tackle in (Gerrard has a lot of qualities but he never really suited the dm role Eriksson etc tried to fit him into). As a result none of them really shone for England.

Anyhow certainly an outstanding player but imo a level behind Scholes, Giggs, Shearer, Ronaldo, Henry, Viera, Keane, Drogba etc..

I'd say Gerrard certainly was world class for a time, never to the level of Zizou of course, but nevertheless still world class. If Zidane is the benchmark for 'world class' then very very few players have achieved that status.

World class? Messi is exactly that as are Maradonna, Pele, Cruyff, Platini, Zidane, Ronaldo (x2), Ronaldinho, Bergkamp etc . Steve Gerrard can never ever be mentioned seriously in the same breath or in the same company as the likes of those players. Instead he is only comparable to the likes of Bryan Robson and Frank Lampard in my book. Top club players but World Stars? No way. In fact he's been a liability for England, always worth a place in the squad but rarely shown anything in the team. Compare that to the above whose presence struck fear into the opposing nations and lifted their respected national teams.

All this breathless hero worship reminds me of the fuss when another massively overrated player hung his boots up... David Beckham. People need to make their own minds up and not believe the media hype originating from Anfield and OT.

Open Question.....

We have all seen Gerrard play many times at Ewood Park (and also I've seen him a fair number of times at Anfield against us). BUT When have we ever seen him dominate play? I mean REALLY dominate play. I certainly never have that's for sure and in fact my lasting memory of Stevie G was of Tugay (another far better footballer) selling him an outrageous dummy and leaving him wallowing on his arse before playing a perfect pass to MGP who in turn crossed for BennyMac to score. :rover:

Depends on how you see "world class". I see it as being good enough to be part of any team in the world - as I believe Gerrard was. The players you mention could be seen as some of the best players ever. There's a difference there.

So if he was French 10 years ago you'd have left out Zidane eh den? :rolleyes:

btw my definition of world class is the team we would select if we were to play Mars.

Where would people place pirlo, made a mockery of Gerrard at the world cup

Gerrard's best game for England was in Germany, 5-1, Gerrard at his best

Pirlo... what a player he is. Good players have the first yard in their heads.... he (like toogs) has the first two yards in his.

Pirlo... what a player he is. Good players have the first yard in their heads.... he (like toogs) has the first two yards in his.

I often think of Tugay when I see Pirlo play. It's bloody criminal that Tugay isn't recognised for the player he was simply because of the club he played for.

I'd say who gives a fook

What was it George Best said about Beckham?

"He can't kick a ball with his left foot, can't head the ball, can't tackle and doesn't score enough goals. Apart from that he's all right."

Spot on imo. Made the most of limited natural ability to become a tremendously effective player but a million miles away from being truly world class.

Edit: Gerrard's a bit the same. Fantastic player in his prime who on his day could influence and change the course of a game but nowhere near being one of the all time greats of the game.

Looks like Tim still has some work to do at Villa...

Might just be more of a case the players were mentally on the beach thinking their work was done.

The acid test of Sherwood's credentials will be next season when his honeymoon period has worn off. He has on numerous occasions made the rather grandiose claim that if they survive this season they'll never be in the same position again.

Archived