BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness Out!

LeftWinger

I can't join in with any crowing about Souness getting the sack. He did a fantastic job with us for his first two years (that Hughes would do very well to emulate) and a mediocre job for his last two years. he didn't get us relegated and he left a team that with only 2 or 3 additions Hughes has turned into something pretty exciting.

We also got a big pile of cash when he went.

I'm glad he's not our manager anymore but I will always remember what he did for us.

371397[/snapback]

I'm with Duffs minder here, the childish goading of Souness is uncalled for,he did more good than bad during his tenure at Ewood.

Souness will now know he made a big mistake leaving Ewood......the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Leave it at that folks eh.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not one of those who think that the comments here are over the top. Actually I think they've in general been overly kind to someone who was a long way down the road of ruining our football club when Puke stepped in for him.

But I'm actually enjoying his discomfiture, as day after day another first team player breaks down, so much that I'm quite willing for him to stay on just so's I can laugh some more- especially if he can keep Puke losing and take them down (still my dream- but those at the bottom are so bad I think it's a bit of a forlorn hope.)

If having a huge IQ, and 6 figure salary makes people as bitter as Jan then thats not for me.

As for Souness, well I find the whole Newcastle situation funny. They have spent £200m in the last 10 years. What a farce that club is.

Still can`t bring myself to boo Souness though.

I'm with Duffs minder here, the childish goading of Souness is uncalled for,he did more good than bad during his tenure at Ewood.

Souness will now know he made a big mistake leaving Ewood......the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Leave it at that folks eh.

371466[/snapback]

Disagree with that - he's been employed for an extra 18 months on, what I'd suggest, a larger pay packet. Rather astute move in hindsight as his tenure at Rovers was coming to an abrupt end.

Disagree with that - he's been employed for an extra 18 months on, what I'd suggest, a larger pay packet. Rather astute move in hindsight as his tenure at Rovers was coming to an abrupt end.

371557[/snapback]

The mans living in the 70s. 70s management with 70s backroom staff. Football has moved on mate.

Mark Hughes is the man. He recognised the failings at the club and got the right people in charge, got rid of Tony Parkes and made some astute signings for the right money.

Souness spends spends and then spends again and when that does'nt work he goes back for more money. That is not managing a club but taking them down the road to ruin.

How can anybody pay 8 million for Bousong when he the last two moves he made were for free transfers? How can you pay 9 million for a player who according to Newcastle supporters is completely useless? How could anybody give Henning Berg and money to get Amaruso?

The man has made mountains of money from being a totally inept manager and that is a fact and a fact of which todays game happens more and more with the supporters having to finance these parasites.

It's unbelieveable the talent available at Newcastle. If you look at all their midfielders there's probably only Chelsea who have better.

Parker, Clark, Bowyer, Faye, Solano, Milner, Emre, Hugo Viana, Dyer, N'Zgobia, Luque

Shame there all injured. It must be the 'Souness curse' huh.gif

Edited by grizfoot

It's unbelieveable the talent available at Newcastle. If you look at all their midfielders there's probably only Chelsea who have better.

Parker, Clark, Bowyer, Faye, Solano, Milner, Emre, Hugo Viana, Dyer, Solano, N'Zgobia, Luque

Shame there all injured. It must be the 'Souness curse'  huh.gif

371563[/snapback]

Are they the famous Solano twins? smile.gif

Every name there has something in common, they have all been rated as future superstars at some point in their careers but none have yet made the grade.

I'm not one of those who think that the comments here are over the top.  Actually I think they've in general been overly kind to someone who was a long way down the road of ruining our football club when Puke stepped in for him.

But I'm actually enjoying his discomfiture, as day after day another first team player breaks down, so much that I'm quite willing for him to stay on just so's I can laugh some more- especially if he can keep Puke losing and take them down (still my dream- but those at the bottom are so bad I think it's a bit of a forlorn hope.)

371512[/snapback]

Yes, you have to hate a manager who brings us a cup and a 6th place finish...

I like Hughes, but for all of you who hail him as our savior, what has he won?

He's hoping to win the 50/50 at the next match.

The mans living in the 70s. 70s management with 70s backroom staff. Football has moved on mate.

Mark Hughes is the man. He recognised the failings at the club and got the right people in charge, got rid of Tony Parkes and made some astute signings for the right money.

Souness spends spends and then spends again and when that does'nt work he goes back for more money. That is not managing a club but taking them down the road to ruin.

How can anybody pay 8 million for Bousong when he the last two moves he made were for free transfers? How can you pay 9 million for a player who according to Newcastle supporters is completely useless? How could anybody give Henning Berg and money to get Amaruso?

The man has made mountains of money from being a totally inept manager and that is a fact and a fact of which todays game happens more and more with the supporters having to finance these parasites.

371562[/snapback]

You understand I don't rate him as a manager right? I'm just suggesting that his move to Newcastle was a smart one on his behalf - he was going to get sacked here. Instead he's been employed for an extra year on a larger paypacket.

I agree with KSB re Souness tactics. There were very successful clubs in the '70s and we were a very successful '70s club for three seasons in the naughties until Souness' ego bit in and chewed everything up.

As for ER suggesting Newcastle was a smart career move....

Yes it was but boy did we and Souness get very lucky. The bumbling fool that is Fat Freddie had an ego problem of his own and fired the most successful manager of Puke (like that one!) since the 1950s on the back of four dodgy start of season results. He was so full of his own brio that Fat Freddie thought he could snap his fingers at anyone and they'd join the fun fair that is St James' Park.

Probably seven rejections later he rang Ewood and found a Chairman who said "no but we won't stand in his way- you have our permission to talk" which was a change after the industrial language he would have got from BIG CLUB and Souness was as happy as a man who has woken up with a bigger willy.

Rovers' trousered the £1.3m and we couldn't believe our luck whilst Souness' ego went to the stratosphere.

Souness making sure he gets the £3m pay-off when he is fired by Fat Freddie. In all seriousness I cannot see Newcastle losing in the FA Cup so there is a decent chance given he wasn't fired yesterday that Souness will be in charge when Rovers go to Newcastle at the end of the month and an even better chance that there will be a monumental list of injuries whilst Fat Freddie dithering over firing Souness is making things rather tricky for them in the transfer market.

I just hope Shearer has beaten the Milburn record by the time we go there.

That said, my hunch is that even Fat Freddie has learnt from the serial humiliations when he tried to replace Sir Bobby. Souness' length of tenure is probably determined by the negotiations going on with Phil Gartside, the Bolton Chairman, if the rumours are to be believed.

Edited by philipl

He's hoping to win the 50/50 at the next match.

371569[/snapback]

Just imagine what we could have accomplished with a decent manager

Souness was the right man for the job up until that summer. After the 6th place finish things went downhill and would have never turned back, but I don't think there was a better man for the job up until that point. Now that I no longer feel angry at him leaving and how he left the club I don't have any hatred towards him and actually think of him being a good manager. Despite everything that went wrong he never undid all of the good things he had accomplished. It's credit to Souness that we thought the club had fallen away when we were languishing in the bottom half, when he took over we were in that same position but a division lower, we could never have dreamt of trips to Cardiff and two seasons back in Europe.

371569[/snapback]

Souness was lucky in that inherited top-class young players such as Dunn, Duff and Jansen.

Hughes has won nothing yet but he saved Rovers from certain relegation under Souness last season.

Souness has become a rich man by being a managerial failure.

Enough said.

Souness was lucky in that inherited top-class young players such as Dunn, Duff and Jansen.

Hughes has won nothing yet but he saved Rovers from certain relegation under Souness last season.

Enough said.

371591[/snapback]

Absolutely spot on

Enough said.

371591[/snapback]

If my memory serves me right, when Souness came to the club,Dunn was ready to hand in a transfer request (frustration at not being played under Parkes), and Jansen was an intermitent member of the first team!

Souness showed some manegerial skills by seeing the talent, and building his team around those.

Enough said.

371591[/snapback]

Managerial failure? Perhaps harsh. He has proven himself as a mediocre manager at best imo. Apart from Rangers and Rovers (but remember Glenn Roeder took West Ham up to sixth) he hasn't exactly impressed at the clubs he's been at. And there's been enough of them. You would have thought, having traversed Europe and got jobs on reputation not talent, he might have picked up some tactical nous, after all on the continent much more emphasis is put on that side of the game. Unfortunately, there was nothing coming.

Of all the asinine things Souey did, the one that just tops the list of WHY????!!!!!!! was in pre-season last year why did he not try to work out his best side? I don't think he once picked his strongest side, merely mixing and matching in every game so that by the time the season started his mind was in a complete muddle.

Hence, Vratty Gresko started in midfield having impressed there in a pre-season game against Bray Wanderers, I think it was.

Why does everything have to be so black & white? There are plenty of managers that deserve our derision before Souness.

Kidd, Hodgson, Eriksson. Need I go on?

The man won a major trophy for us which is something only one other post-war Blackburn manager can say and he got us into Europe twice which seems to be enough for sainthood if your name is Alladyce or Moyes.

He did all that and for the last bit of his time here he was a bit crap just like Ferguson is a bit crap at United. Doesn't change what went before.

It's nothing to do with Souness! I blame Dean Saunders........... tongue.gif

We had some great times with Souness that I for one won't forget, and I thank him for that.

However, there were as many dodgy times - plenty of lurking in the relegation zone, lack of fitness of players - and indeed if he hadn't departed at that time questions were on the verge of being prepared to be asked by the Board.

I was disappointed by the way in which he left - he couldn't wait to get out of the door and didn't bother to say 'thank you' to Rovers for the good times and to the fans whose support in the main he still had. Then appeared at the Newcastle/Rovers match with his son in a Newcastle shirt, before his new appointment had actually started. That was hard to swallow for me.

Edited by roversmum

Prior to Souness arriving Dunn had handed in a transfer request and Jansen had agreed to join Rangers the following summer, but Souness vetoed the moved when he arrived. Duff was also half the player he turned out to be, so Souness did do this club some good.

Edited by shillito15

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.