SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Anti-rovers Setiment

americanrover

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The devious b'stards have backed us into a corner,can anyone else see what's might be coming?....if a sub 20,000 crowd is at Ewood tonight the shameless media will use that as MORE justification for their argument that crowd's are staying away because of the team's style of football under Hughes..............

GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gifmad.gif

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

This has probably been said before but the reaction from the media to Saturday has been an absolute F*****G disgrace.

Talked to loads of Gooners after the match and not one commented in the slightest about a physical approach from Rovers, in fact most were praising us about some of the excellent football we played in the first half, saying they couldn't tell who were the Champions and who were the also-rans.

My view of the match was that Rovers played strong but fair. It certainly wasn't a dirty game, if so then we would have had someone sent off. There were some strong challenges but all were to play the ball, its not Rovers fault that Vieira goes down like a sack of spuds if you DARE to touch him or that Reyes has such fast feet.

It was the same against Chelsea, most of the match we played the better football and because we dared to foul the golden boy Robben then we're a bunch of dirty northern monkeys.

Against both Chelsea and Arsenal we fell one goal behind against two teams who like to keep the ball and pass it around. Therefore the only way to try to get back in the game was the be aggressive and try to hunt the ball down with strong but fair challenges. BUT it seems that you're not allowed to try to win against Arsenal or Chelsea once they have gone one-nil up because thats supposed to be game over and we are supposed to lay down and die after that just like Newcastle did against United, just so the press boys and commentators can drool all over the excellent football that the big boys are playing.

Well F**K that, we never say die we'll not give in to these soft southern idiots. If they want to see football played as a non contact sport then fair enough but hard challenges, aggression and will to win is what the game is all about. You didn't hear the likes of Dennis Law or Jimmy Greaves moaning all those years ago when the defenders tried to kick ten bells out of them. They just got on with it and continued to score great goals and dealt with it that way!

This is what Arsenal did but they're still spitting out their garlic soaked dummys at it and it sickens me.

Rovers 2 - 0 Palace

The shabby rag that is the London Evening Standard is at it again.

The first link is how they are previewing tonight's game, using the odd quote from Dowie's press conference.

The second link (from TeamTalkcrap) contains a whole load more quotes from Dowie - from the same press conference!!

The Evening Standard preview is as pathetic a piece of "journalism" as I have ever seen.

Evening Standard rubbish

and the list of Dowie quotes they ignore

Talked to loads of Gooners after the match and not one commented in the slightest about a physical approach from Rovers, in fact most were praising us about some of the excellent football we played in the first half, saying they couldn't tell who were the Champions and who were the also-rans.

My view of the match was that Rovers played strong but fair. It certainly wasn't a dirty game, if so then we would have had someone sent off. There were some strong challenges but all were to play the ball, its not Rovers fault that Vieira goes down like a sack of spuds if you DARE to touch him or that Reyes has such fast feet.

Absolutely right Mr Magic Hat. Quite a few people have commented to me (round here, several Leeds and the inevitable MU fans) on the game and not one has mentioned anything about us being other than hard-but-fair and how it was a close game for 85 mins, and contrasted this to the other semi where Newc just rolled over.

Sorry folks, I've removed my post - second thoughts about putting it on here.

PS - the reply to my sister's email was genuine but we probably shouldn't have put it on here. Apologies to the subsequent posters who've referred to it.

Ginger-can i just ask who was the reporter who gave the reply?

it is quite important if anyone remembers as Im in the middle of a debate with Tim Williams and i just want to know if he was the guy to send the reply as i think it was him. Because he's changed his story since that reply

Edited by greggyk

That's the rub then isn't it - they can't handle the fact that there, for all the world to see, was a team that probably cost a lot less than Arsenal matching them for 85 minutes. There wasn't anything else to write about, so they pan us for anything they can find whilst ignoring anything similar from the other side. Bollix to 'em, that's what I say.

They can stick their London bias up their arse(s).

An article in the mirror

"There was some concern in FA circles that the footage of Andy Todd's forearm smash on Robin Van Persie in Saturday's FA Cup Semi Final was inconclusive. Inconclusive? Let's face it this is Andy Todd we are talking about, the butcher of Blackburn.

Mark Hughes should stop insulting us by claiming it was accidental, as Todd doesn't do accidental. The guy is an idiot and a thug, and fortunately the FA overcame their concerns and charges him with violent conduct yesterday. I hope he gets a long ban.

While they're at it they should charge Blackburn with bringing the game into disrepute. Some of their players were tackling somewhere above the knee. "

email the author o.holt@mirror.co.uk (mail address printed in the paper and therefore in the public domain)

The worst bit I heard was Radio Five interviewing Wenger after the game. They kept asking leading questions about how overly physical Blackburn were and asking how many red cards we should have had. To be fair Wenger tried to play this down but the interviewer kept on at it. Bunch of #### stirrers the lot of them.

How much was mentioned about Arsenal's disciplinary record. I can't remember one paper saying Lauren should be charged for his two footed monster tackle against Boro. todd however should be hung drawn and quartered - and that's just for playing for Rovers.

yes we're physical but we're not dirty, and as we've shown against the lesser teams we can play good football. I for one am delighted we've a team which is proud to wear the shirt and put in the commitment the blue and white halves deserve.

Ginger-can i just ask who was the reporter who gave the reply?

it is quite important if anyone remembers as Im in the middle of a debate with Tim Williams and i just want to know if he was the guy to send the reply as i think it was him. Because he's changed his story since that reply

I can put it back on here now as John Richardson has given his permission. This is the email my sister sent. Jim Holden wrote one article and she cc'd in John Richardson who wrote another one. (Unfortunately I can't include a link to the articles as you have to register for the online versions. They were very similar to many others since Saturday!) The reply came from John Richardson, chief football correspondent at the Express.

To: jim.holden@express.co.uk

Cc: john.richardson@express.co.uk

Subject: A question of loyalty

Returning from Cardiff on Sunday 17th April, I stopped at some motorway services and bought an Express.

I read yours and John Richardson's articles on page 111 and laughed out loud.

To suggest the "stark truth was revealed" (the source of which was what?) - that Rovers fans "would rather not witness such hateful soccer" made me guffaw.

As a 44 year old mother of two, I feel I'm capable of looking beyond "tribal loyalty".  The "great swathes of empty seats in the areas reserved for blackburn supporters" were perhaps more due to Blackburn's small population (137,000)in relation to the population Arsenal can draw from (obviously the club cannot compete on a corporate basis to London either) than that they "would rather not witness such hateful soccer". 

An average Blackburn home gate draws in an attendance of 1:6, which compares favourably with other 'bigger' clubs. However, with the FA bowing to the lure of money and Sky meaning either a set off time of between 5-5.30 a.m. or an overnight stay to see the game - this proved too much for the pocket of some fans, when added to the expensive tickets.  I think this is more likely to be the "stark truth".  I sincerely hope by your comments you did not intend to belittle the fans who may not be able to afford the cost of taking the whole family to Cardiff.

Reading further to "the team.....went far beyond the acceptable limits of physical intimidation and cynical fouling" I really was chuckling. Where have you been for the last 6 or 7 years?  Vieira who was "singled out for particular pain" has been hacking down players for as long as my Grandma can remember. Indeed, to quote Paul Weaver from the Guardian (27.6.01), "red cards litter Vieira's otherwise brilliant career like fairground bunting. But this time he has produced much the worst of his over-the-top tackles". As far as physical intimidation goes, you must have missed THE Man United/Arsenal game with the Arsenal mob's disgraceful treatment of Ruud Van Nistlerooy at the end.

Perhaps you feel the Blackburn players should have laid a red carpet down for Arsenal all the way to the net.  Blackburn were there to compete, as Arsenal are used to competing.  Arsenal can give it out but cannot take it.

I took a "hard look" at myself and tried to visualise how I would feel if an opposing team assualted my side in such fashion, for example, the likes of Vieira, Bergstamp, Terry, Campbell, Smith, Keane and decided it would be.....a normal game in the Premiership.

I would rather be a "'loyal' one-eyed" Rovers supporter than a jump on Mourinho's bandwagon sycophant.

I threw your "brutal dross" where it belonged....

The reply

I have read your email with interest and to be honest I found myself agreeing with a lot of it especially the reference to Vieira and Keane.

But even though I am a big Mark Hughes fan and enjoy a good working relationship with him I felt that your side did overstep the physical mark on Saturday.

I also covered the Ewood Park Premiership game against Arsenal in which Blackburn in my opinion ruffled Arsenal's feathers but within the rules of the game.

I felt Saturday was different. I don't expect teams to roll out the red carpet for Arsenal - far from it. Bolton didn't at the Reebok and won although Arsene Wenger moaned about the Bolton tactics.

I know that some people from within the Blackburn boardroom were embarrassed by some of what went on and actually apologised to their Arsenal counterparts.

Hopefully it was a one off. But as a Blackburn supporter I can see your point.

At least unlike me you didn't have to sit through the torture of the following afternoon when the Newcastle team I support didn't even have it in them to kick anyone!

Anyway in future don't throw the Sunday Express away. It could make useful toilet paper.

All the best,

John Richardson.

My sis has now signed up the the MB, I'm sure she'll introduce herself at some point!

An article in the mirror

Mark Hughes should stop insulting us by claiming it was accidental, as Todd doesn't do accidental. The guy is an idiot and a thug, and fortunately the FA overcame their concerns and charges him with violent conduct yesterday. I hope he gets a long ban.

Libel anyone?

Tabloid scum. dry.gif

Edited by Rovermatt

I know that some people from within the Blackburn boardroom were embarrassed by some of what went on and actually apologised to their Arsenal counterparts.

......... before they had had a chance to view the video evidence no doubt. Anyway bollax to apologising the Arsed directors should have been apologising for their own teams unsporting behaviour.

I really hope that isn't true.

If it is, they are a disgrace to the club. mad.gif

Just been watching Match of the Day , Paul Scholes got sent off for a second yellow card ( which should have been a straight red ) for having the most almighty whack at an Everton player with the ball nowhere in sight. Nothing like this tackle happened in Saturdays Semi-Final, will it be all over Thursdays papers ? I think not. Watch this space.

You should have seen some of the other stuff. Forearm smashes (both arms) to the back of the head, tackles flying in all over, from behind the lot. Not one teensy weensy bit less physical than us. But, you won't hear diddly squat. In fact I thought I heard about what a great game Everton played, funny init.

Neville red carded for booting the ball at a fan, let's see how much we hear about that.

I'd like to know which members of our board were embarrassed, if it's not a fabrication, I'd ask them to please resign.

Also listened to SSN, the interview with Dowie after the match it was interesting how the interviewer led with the question something like, "well you'll be feeling hard done by to come away with nothing" Dowie dutifully agreed.

Sounds to me from what I have heard and read only poor finishing and a couple of good save stopped us from handing out a good spanking.

It will all blow over, but I am afraid they are going to hang Andy, the hapless FA that is.

Edited by USABlue

Just been watching Match of the Day , Paul Scholes got sent off for a second yellow card ( which should have been a straight red ) for having the most almighty whack at an Everton player with the ball nowhere in sight. Nothing like this tackle happened in Saturdays Semi-Final, will it be all over Thursdays papers ? I think not. Watch this space.

Manu throughout the game were a disgrace! There should be media outcry tomorrow....yeah right thats going to happen!

My e-mail to o.holt@mirror.co.uk mad.gif (it may not have much of a structure but it made sense at the time tongue.gif )

I find it insulting for you to slate my team with total disregard for recent facts and more to the point the lack of fair treatment where other teams are concerned!

If you turn around and write an article on manu and there shameful behaviour or arsenal and there clear diving and uncalled for challanges then i take it back, but this seems to be a clear case of have a go at the one of the premierships form teams because they are not in london or called man u!

What behaviour of andrew todd's in the recent past has l;ed you to the ridiculas conclusion he is guilty dispite the clear tv evidence showing otherwise. A 'Top class' Ref is stood no more than 5 yards away looking straight at the incident and sees nothing wrong with it, yet because of events unrelated to his clean bill of health over the past few seasons! Unlike some players todd has grown into his role as rovers captain and he would be man enough to admit if he did it on purpose, unlike some of the shameful media ranting since saturday. If andy todd is an idiot how is he able to earn a lot more in a couple of seasons than most journalists ever do?

Rather than blackburn rovers players bringing the game into disripute it would clearly be the media doing this. If left to there own devices i am sure the fa would have looked at the incident and come to the conclusion there was no case to answer but instead they are forced into charging him to avoid looking even more of a shambles than they currently are! I'm sure it wouldn't take alot to look a little closer to home in the way of arsenals own awful disaplinary record for you to see the trend in the modern game, its not netball we like some contact!

Is the fact that not one of the major papers picked up Hughes' comments regarding the southern media bias proof that there is self-censorship in the media... and dare I say it... a 'conspiracy' against the smaller clubs?

An article in the mirror

Libel anyone?

Exactly what I'd been thinking Matt. But then I'm not a lawyer. Not trying to drum up business are you wink.gif . Thing is these redtops are probably pretty well versed in matters of libel/slander and what they can get away with printing.

If they don't throw the book at United after that thuggish performance, I'll bombard every news editor about it.

Nevilles incitement of the crowd and Scholes assault.

Bloody disgraceful and doesn't belong in today's game. rolleyes.gif

Good on yer Big Dunc for scoring the winner.

Edited by SouthAussieRover

"Scholes was sent off for a late challenge, but how many late challenges came in on us out there?" according to Ferguson, a judgement which the papers seem to be happy to agree with.

A "late challenge" indeed. A kick on the top of the femur from behind aimed solely at inflicting pain and injury.

It's so ludicrous it's almost funny.

Also on last night's MOTD, the rare sight of an Arsenal player being booked for simulation.

A much less obvious dive than some of the limp efforts on Saturday at that. Mind you it was against Chelsea, their players wouldn't foul anyone would they?

Also on last night's MOTD, the rare sight of an Arsenal player being booked for simulation.

A much less obvious dive than some of the limp efforts on Saturday at that. Mind you it was against Chelsea, their players wouldn't foul anyone would they?

Aye! But did you hear Motson's complete surprise when he got booked! As if he'd never dived before in his life!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.