SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Anti-rovers Setiment

americanrover

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well yesterday Alvin Martin was saying that the police should be called in for Toddys 'attack'.

Whereas on 'You're on Sky Sports' last night Steve Claridge said it was completely accidental and Peter Beagrie sat on the fence. I can't see how the FA can charge him when it's so unclear.

Well done to the 2 guys that phoned in to Sky to defend Rovers last night.

The worry regardless of any FA enquiry/witch hunt on Todd is how it could affect his game the rest of the season. After the actual incident he seemed absolutely gutted, possibly to the point of distraction.

If players have already been diving at our feet, oppositions coaches may be encouraging their players to do it more, particularly with Todd. When marking or going in for a tackle, Todd may be thinking, "just a minute I might get in trouble for this", and hesitate.

Todd may be the real victim here. RVP had a swollen and bloody lip but no concussion or stitches. He became the bloody martyr hero, for having turned/walked into another player and getting himself wacked. Todd on the other hand has become public enemy no.1, might still face charges, and maybe a reputation with ref's, opposing players and fans.

Charge RVP for obstruction and assault on Todd I say, knocked the bloke over with his wobbly lip he did.

Despite the press dragging up his ancient history, I thinkk this season we've seen a new calm composed and focused Todd, who refused to be wound up when targetted himself.

The cynical elbow in the face by Hadj Diouf, didn't react (do the current articles mention this?). At Old Trafford, after a tackle on Shrek, coming cleanly away with the ball, Rooney kicked out at him, didn't respond (unfortunately the ref wasn't too bothered either giving only a free kick).

After reading a couple of reports this morning (Guardian and Independent) it looks as though the anti-Rovers bandwagon has morphed into a juggernaut! I really do think Rovers should consider banning a few of these nationals from the press-box, after all what harm could it do, we very rarely recieve positive press anyway. That a family club, which is run by good honest people, can be savaged by hacks the way it has for the last couple of days, is scandalous. So ban them from the press box and let them pay for their seats like the rest of us...they offer us nothing ....lets give them nothing in return.......but not before Wednesday! Wednesday gives us the opportunity to vent our frustrations on the press scum...after all we know where they are sitting. Lets give them an uncomfortable evening.....I suggest a sustained chant of 'Scum scum..' or 'You don't know what yor writing...' whilst gesticulating in their general direction. Probably wont achieve anything but will make me feel a bit better!

Just out of interest, where IS the press box ? Is it the one with the Radio Rovers hoardings (or is that just the Radio Rovers guys) ?

Glenn, the press-box at Ewood is the area behind where the directors sit in the upper-tier of the Jack Walker (central under the TV gantry).

Some of the best seats in Ewood. Damn good view from there. Maybe we should send the worst offenders to sit on the bottom row of the Riverside. Where they and their laptops would get wet, where there is a lousy view and where the ignorant early doors brigade stroll past, stopping frequently and block their view for the last 10 mins of every match. laugh.gif

Edited by thenodrog

My sister sent this email to Jim Holden and John Richardson at the Express

Returning from Cardiff on Sunday 17th April, I stopped at some motorway services and bought an Express.

I read yours and John Richardson's articles on page 111 and laughed out loud.

To suggest the "stark truth was revealed" (the source of which was what?) - that Rovers fans "would rather not witness such hateful soccer" made me guffaw.

As a 44 year old mother of two, I feel I'm capable of looking beyond "tribal loyalty".  The "great swathes of empty seats in the areas reserved for Blackburn supporters" were perhaps more due to Blackburn's small population (137,000)in relation to the population Arsenal can draw from (obviously the club cannot compete on a corporate basis to London either) than that they "would rather not witness such hateful soccer". 

An average Blackburn home gate draws in an attendance of 1:6, which compares favourably with other 'bigger' clubs. However, with the FA bowing to the lure of money and Sky meaning either a set off time of between 5-5.30 a.m. or an overnight stay to see the game - this proved too much for the pocket of some fans, when added to the expensive tickets.  I think this is more likely to be the "stark truth".  I sincerely hope by your comments you did not intend to belittle the fans who may not be able to afford the cost of taking the whole family to Cardiff.

Reading further to "the team.....went far beyond the acceptable limits of physical intimidation and cynical fouling" I really was chuckling.  Where have you been for the last 6 or 7 years?  Vieira who was "singled out for particular pain" has been hacking down players for as long as my Grandma can remember.

Indeed, to quote Paul Weaver from the Guardian (27.6.01), "red cards litter Vieira's otherwise brilliant career like fairground bunting. But this time he has produced much the worst of his over-the-top tackles".  As far as physical intimidation goes, you must have missed THE Man United/Arsenal game with the Arsenal mob's disgraceful treatment of Ruud Van Nistlerooy at the end.

Perhaps you feel the Blackburn players should have laid a red carpet down for Arsenal all the way to the net.  Blackburn were there to compete, as Arsenal are used to competing.  Arsenal can give it out but cannot take it.

I took a "hard look" at myself and tried to visualise how I would feel if an opposing team assualted my side in such fashion, for example, the likes of Vieira, Bergstamp, Terry, Campbell, Smith, Keane and decided it would be.....a normal game in the Premiership.

I would rather be a "'loyal' one-eyed" Rovers supporter than a jump on Mourinho's bandwagon sycophant.

I threw your "brutal dross" where it belonged.......

Part of Colin Todds comments in the mirror........

"If there had been intent I could not defend him, but I have watched the incident again, I have talked to my son and I am convinced it was an accident and the boy turned into Andy. As his father, people will say of course I am going to defend him, but he does not deserve this.

"His wife and mother are devastated and Andy is disappointed. He tried to apologise at the time, it was accepted by some of the Arsenal players and not by others.

"Look at the disciplinary records of both Arsenal and Patrick Vieira, they are absolutely abysmal."

Well he doesn't need to feel bad about anything at all in my view. Simple collision and nothing more. I wonder how much sh1t would still be flying if todd had been Tugays height and van Persie had turned into him and butted him in the face causing injury?

Part of Colin Todds comments in the mirror........

"If there had been intent I could not defend him, but I have watched the incident again, I have talked to my son and I am convinced it was an accident and the boy turned into Andy. As his father, people will say of course I am going to defend him, but he does not deserve this.

"His wife and mother are devastated and Andy is disappointed. He tried to apologise at the time, it was accepted by some of the Arsenal players and not by others.

"Look at the disciplinary records of both Arsenal and Patrick Vieira, they are absolutely abysmal."

Well he doesn't need to feel bad about anything at all in my view. Simple collision and nothing more. I wonder how much sh1t would still be flying if todd had been Tugays height and van Persie had turned into him and butted him in the face causing injury?

Even if he did do it on purpose, good on him. We can't have them celebrating too much with the final goal now can we!

Whereas on 'You're on Sky Sports' last night Steve Claridge said it was completely accidental and Peter Beagrie sat on the fence. I can't see how the FA can charge him when it's so unclear.

Well done to the 2 guys that phoned in to Sky to defend Rovers last night.

I thought that we were given a fair hearing on Sky Sports last night, with the presenter and Steve Claridge not going overboard about the game on Saturday. At least some people have some common sense.

I watched the game on Saturday without commentary, and I just thought it was a normal game of football, with no more bad challenges than you would find in a normal Premier League game. Those challenges which were of an over the top or cynical nature were rightly punished by cards, and not another word needs to be spoken.

Well played Rovers for still being in the game going into the last ten minutes against far superior opposition. Onwards and upwards.

He had it coming anyway for that stupid dance he did in front of the Blackburn End 3 weeks ago. Sparky said in the days leading up to the match that we would go there to "compete" and that if Arsenal were to win, then they would walk off the pitch knowing they had been made to work for it.

I like to put it this way:

If you can't beat 'em, beat 'em up.

Maybe that should be our catch phrase for selling next year's season tickets.

biggrin.gif

For those who might misinterpret my post from above; I thought we played a solid, clean game that was typical of our efforts since the middle of November. If the nancy boys from London (or anyone else for that matter) don't like it; GOOD! And I hope Todd DID mean to hit Van (word I can't use that means feline) on purpose. It'll make it extra fun to recall years from now after he gets away with it.

I've had enough now. from 'This is London' mad.gif Sent the pratt an email:

To Steve Stammers

Re: FA Cup Semi-Final - Arsenal vs Blackburn Rovers and related comments

You really are incredible.  Since when has a player turning and running accidentally into another player been a 'challenge' by the player he ran into?  Of course Todd raised his arm.  Wouldn't you if someone was about to crash into you?  Oh, and Van Persie has 'recovered'.  How brave.  And 'it will be hard to take the matter further'.  Oh dear, what an injustice!

Whilst you were busy worshipping Arsenal (who with their squad of wonderful and expensive players surely do not need to cheat) you failed to notice that Paul Dickov played the last 20 minutes of the match with a cut and bleeding lip.  Now there is a man and not an over-sized mouse.  And what about the kick in Lucas Neill's groin?  Oh, surprise, you missed it!  So did the referee............

Did you notice, that no Blackburn player fell on the floor writhing about as the result of a challenge?  No, because they get up and get on with the game.  Time-wasting is not on their agenda.

Oh, sorry we didn't roll over and die, and forgot the red carpet leading to the goal, but made them work for it!  Funny how when Chelsea, Bolton and Everton play a similar style of game you all wet yourselves with delight.  Remember our old chum Souey's saying 'You have to wee with the willy you've got'?  Get my drift?

Whilst you are at it, please note (and this one is for you to tell your chums too) that Blackburn is one of the best supported teams in the Premiership.  A turnout of around 20 per cent of the population of Blackburn is rather good, don't you think, for a match with tickets at an average price of £45 necessitating a start from home at around 4am - and Blackburn isn't exactly the high wages capital of the country is it now?  A bit of praise for that would be good, and a bit of thought  that just maybe, some people could not afford to come.(oh, sorry, that means using that thing called a 'brain' and sometimes that's a bit painful)

Still, we have the temerity to be a small town club in the Premiership.  And not London-based either.  Tsk.  Oh, and don't forget, we 'bought' the Premiership title 10 years ago.  Strange that, too, I was of the opinion that clubs have to 'buy' players - how else do they obtain them?

We Blackburn supporters are proud people.  We are proud of Jack Walker's heritage.  We are proud of our Manager, Mark Hughes and his backroom boys.  And we are proud of our players, each and every one.

Shame we are such an unfashionable club.  You wonder how we have the cheek to exist, really.  But we do.  And we will.  Tough.

Have a nice day.

Excellent stuff, Roversmum. Thank you for saying what we all feel. I'm just boycotting the Guardian and Observer (rarely look at the Evening Standard!),so take that you soft southern parasites.

Well said Roversmum!!!! thumbs-up.gif

I don`t know how small teams can have the nerve to compete for football prizes either!

How dare 'little' Blackburn upset the applecart & get to a semi-final? ohmy.gif

How dare they spoil Tottenhams 'hoddle revolution'??

How dare they become champions of England in 95??

How can Mark Hughes dare to create a team of hard-working proffessional footballers who fight for every ball, play as a team & look to have a tremendous spirit??

.....on a similar note, imagine if 'little' Bolton upset everyone & capture the 4th champions league spot??.....& Everton get 5th, leaving the once mighty Liverpool sweating on a UEFA cup place or even the inter toto???

I`d p155 myself laughing if that happened!!! laugh.gif

.....on a similar note, imagine if 'little' Bolton upset everyone & capture the 4th champions league spot??.....& Everton get 5th, leaving the once mighty Liverpool sweating on a UEFA cup place or even the inter toto???

I`d p155 myself laughing if that happened!!! laugh.gif

For the general good of the game I'd love to see unfashionable Bolton clinch the 4th Champions League spot.

However from a strictly selfish point of view I think it would be a very bad thing for Rovers if they were to do so giving them for the first time a significant financial advantage over us.

Some of the best seats in Ewood. Damn good view from there. Maybe we should send the worst offenders to sit on the bottom row of the Riverside. Where they and their laptops would get wet, where there is a lousy view and where the ignorant early doors brigade stroll past, stopping frequently and block their view for the last 10 mins of every match. laugh.gif

That sounds just like St James' Park or White Hart Lane!

As has been mentioned, the press box is in the top tier of the JW Stand, behind where the directors sit.

An excellent view.

BTW: As far as I know, there was only one member of the written press who was at the press conference today (for the Palace) game, who was at the game at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday.

And that was Andy Neild of the LET.

The FA have until 6pm tonight to notify us of any charges against Andy Todd.

Just watched some of the game again. Has anyone metioned Viera's taking out of Reid from behind that led to our early free kick on target. Initially commentator said Viera won the ball, then changed oh he just caught him. After reviewing it myself I would have to say it was very cynical and could have led to injury. Is that sort of tackle not a red cardable offence. I also noticed Dickov's bloody mouth. Dickov get's little in his favour because of his style of play, it's wrong I know but refs seldom seem to give him much, let's hope this does not become the norm.

I thought there was a point in the game where the ref changed, he seemed to help swing the momentum by strting to give lightweight calls for the Arse. Even little things like having us re place the ball because it was 2 yards out of position for a free kick where as arsenal often gained a good 10 yards with out a problem. Almost like the ref got some sort of signal that Blackburn were on top and this can not be allowed to happen.

Just playing devils advocate from a media perspective. But if you happen to watch the game again, notice at about the 20 min mark how the ref changes his approach to the game.

Good to see big Sam defending himself against the "big boys" yesterday, I have never been a big fan of his but have a lot more respect for him now after hearing his comments yesterday. He was spot on too. I too am now hoping Bolton get 4th spot just for us small market teams.

Let's start a movement, let's put the FOOT back in FOOTBALL.

Edited by USABlue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.