BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn 4 (four ) V Charlton 1

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fantastic atmosphere around the ground and particularly on the Blackburn End on Saturday deserves a mention.

One can definitely feel a sense of the building momentum of the atmosphere, if not the attendance after each home win. Surely the club should strike while the iron is hot and employ to maximum effect any marketing strategies they may have now, while they are likely to have the greatest impact?

Is BRISA suitably well established yet to have an influence in such areas?

358806[/snapback]

Yes.

Attendances are on the agenda. The more members BRISA has, the more it will be listened to.

Join BRISA

The match was truly enjoyable and the players should be credited for hitting top note, Charlton too played their part in making the game entertaining and tense too. Even at 3-1 I could not totally relax, thankfully Bellamy put any anxiety it to bed before the end. But imo certain things need pointing out.

1. Tugay was brilliant and his supreme abilities on the ball are no surprise to any of us. BUT imo Charlton did a very bad job on him. We all know that to man mark Toogs is the best way of stifling his influence. They had 5 men in midfield but Curbishly obviously didn't deem it fit to sacrifice one of them on doing a man-marking task on Toogs. Big mistake for someone so frequently put forward as a possible English manager.

2. I hope Brad's performance answered last weeks topic criticising him. He made some fantastic saves at very important times in the game. I think we can concentrate on using funds in other areas for some time yet, unless heaven forbid he picks up a long term injury in which case I would have serious concerns.

3. Lucas Neil is having a very good season without doubt. Personally I have always rated him as he is tough, athletic and rarely absent through injury which is most important but rarely mentioned in assessing players talents. imo his biggest weakness is in his concentration level. Yesterday Charlton scored because he was 'asleep' and appeared to be holding hands with Zurab when he missed the through ball that led to Charltons goal.

Another possibly unfair but imo valid criticism is that he and Kuqi need to practice their shooting from an angle. Both continually insist on going for the near post when %age wise shots across the keeper yield more threat.

4. It was obviously a nailed on penalty but I won't criticise the ref for missing it because it was on his blind side. BUT I WILL criticise the stupid lineman who MUST have seen it yet chose to chicken out of helping the ref out.

5. Biggest and most concerning criticism of our defence was that we hardly won a header from a cross or corner all afternoon. We could and should have been punished more severely on another day. Whats happened to em? Surely losing Nelson should not affect the rest of em so much should it?

6. Finally what a different player Emerton is following his time playing second fiddle to Bentley. All credit to Hughes for metaphorically kicking him up the arse. Emerton has always possessed much talent but it appears that he is obviously well short of self motivation and comittment. Now Sparky has him sused I expect good things from him.

Yeah I could be dreaming too! Either that or its the beer I had last night...

358738[/snapback]

i'm amazed every is shocked, we were very good, however in the last year we have been as boring as watching paint dry, and the crowds show that, really hope they pick up now.

rover.gif we now have won 5 games and drawn 2,it took us till mid january to win 5 games last season,and to the last game off the year to beat our now point's tally.we certianly are progressing under hughes and a top ten finish could be possible tinykit.gif

I have to echo the comment that under Hughes the football at Ewood is some of the most entertaining I have seen for years.The team seems to be galvanised and working hard for each other...a sure fire recipe for success. thumbs-up.gif

Seeing our fans leave Ewood happy with smiles on their faces again was a sight rarely seen under the tenure of Souness,let the good times roll!!!

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Yes.

Attendances are on the agenda. The more members BRISA has, the more it will be listened to.

Join BRISA

358819[/snapback]

Done. I am now a paid up member, lets hope we can make a difference on matters such as these. In my mind if BRISA could acheive just one of its objectives it would be a full Ewood Park every match.

Done. I am now a paid up member, lets hope we can make a difference on matters such as these. In my mind if BRISA could acheive just one of its objectives it would be a full Ewood Park every match.

358829[/snapback]

Thank you. smile.gif

We'll do our best to keep you involved and do our best to represent everyones' views to the board of BRFC.

Tugay, today, was superb.

Lay off the ref; I thought he was better than Mike Riley, Barry Knight, Andy D'Urso etc.

Fantastic performance considering injuries to defenders before and during the game.

I think MGP got injured but soldiered on; hence his (perceived by some) poor performance.

Brad was great, saving us several times and shouting at his error-making defence.

The two Aussies were very good.

Zurab MUST be signed on permanent.

Cannot stop this giddy smile on my face.  tinykit.gif  biggrin.gif

358724[/snapback]

Although I was only able to watch the match on Football First I have to agree on all your points made above. Especially:

1) On the ref who I thought was very fair throughout; nobody is perfect!

2) On MGP who definitely got hurt in a bad tackle in the 2nd half (which incidentally the ref saw as a throw-in). In spite of this he managed to do a decent job at left back for the last 20 mins or so, which few seem to have given him credit for.

Also I think the attendance was pathetic. If you only knew how much it grieves me to be stuck up in Scotland and not able to afford frequent visits to Ewood.

1) On the ref who I thought was very fair throughout; nobody is perfect!

358832[/snapback]

We only think that because missing the penalty turned out to be unimportant. Had we drawn that game, or even lost it, then we would all be on here moaning about how awful and unfair that was. There were also some bad decisions when it came to calling Bellamy offside, sometimes he was quite far on. For the Dickov goal, I still think he's just about level when he ball his played, his right leg and right side of his body seems level with the defender, it just seems as though he moves in while everyone moves out and it makes him look far offside, but I actually think it was a good decision.

Well Guys! biggrin.gif  I got the right score, but missed a bit with our goalscorers and the time! but who cares! cool.gif  rover.gif

was a bit optimistic about the attendance as well..

You were almost spot on with the attendace!! smile.gif

358696[/snapback]

It's great being an optimist! laugh.gif

Edited by Claytons Left Boot

Watched the game on Sky's Football First programme last night. After yet another Rovers attack starting with extremely fast, accurate, passing football, the commentator drooled...."oh, this is fantastic....!" tinykit.gif

After being a critic of Emerton for some time, I want to hold my hand up. Bentley's presence has given him a kick up the backside and yesterday was a superb performance by Brett - long may it continue.

Brilliant performance yesterday. Haven't seen such a good game at Ewood in the last 3 seasons.

Tugay is a magician, him and Reid controlled the majority of the game against a 5 man midfield and set up most of our attacks. Emerton was also brilliant and lets hope he finds some consistency, Neil also dedserves special praise to have to play in 3 positions in one game, another class performance from him. Reid had dodgy first half but improved massively second and surely Savage's place in the team must be under threat for the City game.

Everbody gave 110% and we can't ask for any more, especially when they play like that as well.

After being a critic of Emerton for some time, I want to hold my hand up. Bentley's presence has given him a kick up the backside and yesterday was a superb performance by Brett - long may it continue.

358850[/snapback]

One thing I was annoyed with Brett's performance was complete miss when Bellamy crossed the ball from the left. Don't get me wrong, it was good to see him coming in, so open.. but that miss ohmy.gifsad.gif

No blink.gif

Incidentally, I feel a bit sorry for Brett- that was a fantastic strike with great swerve to bring it inside the post. Andersen waving at it after it had gone into the net was pathetic and diminishes a great goal.

Edited by philipl

I'll have a go flopsy.  Was it Stephen Reid being man of the match?  Or 'Rampant Rovers' sounding like a sex toy! rover.gif

358822[/snapback]

no but the latter made me laugh again.

It was

Hughes set a positive tone, replacing Aaron Mokoena, nicknamed “The Axe”, with Reid, who is more a flashing arrow.

Fair enough Modi but matters need to improve..even Charlton fans are having a pop on their site about today's 'crowd'!

Anyway like you say, lets enjoy today's magnificent result! wink.gif

358692[/snapback]

How on earth can you take fans seriously when they barely bring 400 for a 3pm kick off after winning 5 in a row. It amazes me how quickly some of our 'own' fans are willing to slate our crowds.

WOW credit has to go to everyone in the team, Tugay was just magiacal and like everyone has been saying before me like his first season. He was very well backed up by Reid who made Murphy look invisible, watching him wherever he went. Brad, Bellers, Brett, Lucas and Zurab looked as if they would fit easily into any top 6 side bar Chelski, Gunners and manure.

Well done to everyone!

we have learned to walk before running after the last years experiences.

Under MH Rovers are now better equipped with fitness, have a huge work ethic, have obviously got a team spirit throught the spine of the team and have a group of players who are playing for the shirt and the club.

I really think we can give any of the teams in this league a decent game.

It will be interesting to see what happens after this break. The injuries may well have cleared up, we may have a full squad of players fighting for those 16 shirts come match day.

I cannot wait for the next home game, just to see the reaction of the supporters. I mean, after Evertons recent mini revival we can expect at least 5k Evertonians. If Rovers wavering supporters are wanting confimration of what they have begun to read in the press then we should see an increase of at least 1k home supporters to add to the 17k loyal followers.

smile.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.