BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 2 Sunderland 0

den

Job done - thats more like it.

Have to admit, I only listened on the radio so could be wrong but pongy sounds rubbish. Trying to be to clever and always trying to go alone.

Anyway, its up to the boys now how far they want to go - a win against arsenal should do it

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a comfortable win for us today. not at any stage did i think we was in any kinda trouble against them. i fortunate goal and a good header along with a totally untroubled evening for brad.

a week and a bit off now, so a break in dubai would be nice for the boys. hopefully coming back refreshed and making a push for the top six.

My god, Sunderland are poor. No wonder Stead isn't scoring, the only player who looked remotely creative for them was Arca.

We did make them look sharp though, once in a while. They could've taken the lead through poor defensive play by Rovers, I think it was Nelsen who didn't follow the other three.

Good to see Bellamy score two, too bad his great shot didn't go one inch to the right, giving him his hattrick.

Kuqi? WHY?

This was clearly not the match for him, we did our stuff on the ground, it would've been the perfect match for Bentley alongside Bellamy the last few minutes.

As for the rest of the team, we were allright throughout. Tugay was magnificent in the centre, with space and a few fantastic passes. I think Pongolle did well up front, but he needs to do things easy when he can, stop showboating.

In general, Sunderland are too poor for assesment (sp?) of this match, it was a bit like playing Leeds in the cup. Feel bad for Stead, who is one of very few talented players in their team. Going down, going down..

Have to admit, I only listened on the radio so could be wrong but pongy sounds rubbish.  Trying to be to clever and always trying to go alone. 
Well, that last sentence is true, but I think he is one of those "needs to develop" players. If he can get some good coaching to teach him and thing or two then he could be a very good player.

On to Sergio Peter: I saw him for the first time today and I have to say that I really like the look of this guy. Usually players his age coming into the team from the academy really look out of place and lightweight, but Peter dispels all that and really looks a solid part of the team. Nosworthy was able to bamboozle him with some cool trickery a couple of times in one-on-one situations, but I can see him becoming a fantastic player for us. Once again he set up a goal for terrific goal for us with a cross right onto Bellamy's head.

Well done Rovers!

Peter has always impressed me when he has come on. Good half-volley cross for Bellamy's second, and a very good run to get onto the pass from, I think, Tugay. He's quick, he can cross, he's got good technique and is not afraid to take on players. Could be an excellent player for us, and he's already a player you can bring on for a little extra creativity.

Overall it was a solid win, the team did what they should. I have to say though, Sunderland really allowed us acres of space, and we won almost everything in midfield. And when they did get the ball we gave them no time at all on the ball, usually forcing them to put it out of play. Tugay played some very nice long passes, Grey and Neill ventured foward alot and apart from a 5-minute spell in the second half our defense looked very solid. With a few exceptions (Pongolle, MGP, Kuqi, who all seemed a bit off their game), the whole team performed very well. They did what they were supposed to do and it looked a comfortable win.

And did anyone else notice just how hard Reid struck that free kick?? Just imagine the danger he'd pose if he ever learned to keep his shots down!

I dont really now whether or not I am first back after the game.

One thing about tonight was the result and result only. It was a game, as a member previously pointed out that we simply had to win.

The 40 points are in the bag, safety is assured. Rovers now have phase 2 of the ambition to embark on. 7 Home games left and 5 away.

Tonight was a poor spectacle, on that lets be clear. Sunderland are a very poor team although they do have some sort of niggling organisation about them.

Rovers generally huffed and puffed and won the game through two clinical finishes from Bellamy.

On a cold night I am just glad Rovers got the points.

One plainly obvious pointer about tonights performance is that TUGAY is NO longer capable of running the midfield with split passes nor can he control the midfield or build play consistently.

Tonight his work ratio was poor. His passing was at times awful and I would estimate that at least 80% of his passes were backwards, 15% were given away and 5% forward.

I think I upset some of the supporters around me by shouting my disapproval but as was evidenced on the pitch, once he went Rovers created far more going forward.

Tugay should not be offered a new contract, it is time for him to gracefully retire from the Premiership and to grass out with a big pay day overseas.

We have a thread for the new TUGAY, he must now be found. For me, this is the biggest single factor about Rovers recent performances. Tugay plays poor = Rovers play poor.

disappointed with the crowd, but who cares, I was there and I saw yet another 3 points in the bag from a game that with the previous regime at the helm we most certainly would have lost.

I certainly disagree with you, 1864.

Tugay had a few poor passes in his hour of play, but I think he distributed and kept the ball going well the major part of the game. Had some neat throughballs in the first half especially, and the commentator on Canal+ also had him as his man of the match. (I know, it doesn't prove anything, but at least a few people agree with me!)

Tugay hasn't got the legs he had three years ago, but he can still provide that killer pass, in matches like this especially, and that makes giving him a new contract worthwhile in my opinion.

Bring on the Arse.........BIG, BIG game

384396[/snapback]

Another make or break game? Seems like they all are at this stage of the season. I saw Arsenal against Liverpool and man did they look poor. I can't believe how bad they have gotten in the last couple of years..

The guy on Fox over here in the states thought Tugay was brilliant too... I thought he was good as well. Seems you might be in a bit of minority here 1864...

Big positives for mer were Peter who looked good (if a little lightweight), Bellamy, Gray.

Reid had one of his worse games as did Savage. Todd looked a little shaky.

The one person who has me worrying a little is Pongo. He was pretty poor, his touch was awful. Will be interesting to see if he starts next game. Hope he gets himself together soon, I know he can do better than that,

He's regularly one of our best players, is that smacks of lack of ambition then I suppose signing Rooney is the only thing that would have shown you ambition.

Not only does Tugay have the ability to split premiership teams open but I'm sure he has a major influence on the team and can teach the younger players a lot. It is true that as he gets older he can't play in as many games but even 10 games of quality Tugay would be great next season, we just have to pick and choose the games he plays in now.

One plainly obvious pointer about tonights performance is that TUGAY is NO longer capable of running the midfield with split passes nor can he control the midfield or build play consistently.

Tonight his work ratio was poor. His passing was at times awful and I would estimate that at least 80% of his passes were backwards, 15% were given away and 5% forward.

Tugay should not be offered a new contract, it is time for him to gracefully retire from the Premiership and to grass out with a big pay day overseas.

384381[/snapback]

Not true in my opinion. Tugay ran the game, was always available for a pass and was always looking for an attacking ball. It's not his fault that most Rovers players had off nights - MGP, Reid in the first half, Sav. In factour attacking threat came mostly from Gray and Neill. Thank God for Bellers - we might have lost that last year.

I agree Tugay needs replacing because he's getting on, but the fact that Rovers had more attacking play later in the game was nothing to do with Tugay coming off and everything to do with Sunderland leaving gaping holes just about everywhere as they tired and huffed and puffed for a goal.

Tonight was a poor game but we got the points - Sunderland will probably sack McCarthy at some point when frankly, tactics and formations are irrelevant if your players just aren't good enough, and with the possible exception of Arca, every man-jack of them isn't. I defy even the "Special One" to win games with that shower

A fairly dull match, it was though both sides had agreed the 2-0 scoreline before KO and then played for it.

Just about the only highlight was our second goal where Tugay played an inch-perfect ball from the centre circle to Peter on the left, whose excellent cross was met by Bellamy who put a looping header over and beyond Davies. Three great touches in a really precise move.

Tugay was marvellous, another great game, he ran just about everything as a deep midfielder.

MGP looked as though he was suffering from something and was rightly subbed.

As for Sunderland: it must be depressing for them Mackems. They wee-ed on everyone in their league last season. This one, they are the urinals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.