BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sunderland 0-1 Rovers

Our season and without being unduly dramatic, possibly the club's destination for the next few seasons rest on how we perform at the three clubs in the relegation positions.

Fortunately, we've got the one which is truly awful first.

With Hughes in charge, we should be in the right mind frame and seriously prepared. So its FA Cup-style underdog odds we are facing.

More comedy capers defending and wonky throw ins and we could have a motivated Sunderland and 30,000 screaming Wearsiders to contend with.

So get out there, squeeze the life out of them on the pitch and on the terraces and a clinical 2-0 would do nicely. Pressing on and improving the goal difference with a 5-0 has to be the objective but I don't see it happening unless we get into a roll of playing the sort of football we showed at Tottenham.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me of the time we went to West Ham after they hadn't won a home game all season, they eventually got relegated but still managed to beat us that night.

I'd love us to win it, but I have grave concerns.... Sunderland have recently got rid of their manager and although there has not really been an upturn in performance I feel there will have to be one soon. I just hope it doesn't come against us.

I hope Sunderland start winning for the sake of their fans....but not until after 5pm on Saturday.

I think we all know Steady boy will be up for this match, to try and prove Hughes wrong, not that he will as i think Hughes has been proved right by selling him and signing Bellamy instead. Bellers ten times the player Stead is.

This is a big game, lose and and Spuds+the ARSEnal can get a bigger lead on us, win and we may be able to get on par with the Spuds, making for a very very tense last few games.

I was chatting to some sunderland fans last night (in the toon) and I was saying that they do us over this weekend in true Rovers tradition...they quickly responed "you havin a laugh...where s**t at home" I then went on to mention stead and again they responded "he's s**t as well!" So really why on Earth should we lose this match? If we are seriously in contention for Europe nothing but 3 points is acceptable! Sunderland have only got 10 points all season!!

So having being re-assured how bad sunderland are, I've changed my mind on this one! I think we'll win.....

2-0 (Friedel and Encleman to score) biggrin.gif

Put it this way.  I wouldn't like to be in the players' boots if they lose.  Sparky won't be happy.................................... ohmy.gif

I'm sure they will be in no doubt about what they have to do  rover.gif

392234[/snapback]

so why is everyone panicing??

bannana skin, i think it's the embaressment if we lose folk are most concerned about and how much is on the line here?

roversmum is right, hughes will have drilled it in to em all week, they will have the plan. wink.gif

We could easily continue our bizarre pattern of gifting players and teams their 'firsts' of the season. Sunderland haven't won at home all season, Stead hasn't scored all season. This could turn into a complete friggin nightmare.

On the other hand, this current Sunderland team is the worst side ever to have played in the Premier League. We should absolutely slaughter them.

Edited by Rovermatt

I think we will win this one - mainly as the home team the onus will be on them to attack us.

However - if they play as they did at Ewood they are in with a chance - as they can't surely miss as many chances again.

Hughes doesn't seem to respect the Rovers tradition of getting beat by inferior teams - well not to the extent of previous teams anyway. So hopeful this will give us the three points to set up the Wigan showdown.

Ricky beat me to the comparisons with West Ham a couple of years back.

Surely we can't cock this one up, would take a scrappy controversial goal against the run of play to win a dire game to be perfectly honest!

It'll be a bigger miracle if you find anyone who's going to drive to Sunderland via Hull ...

I agree with the inevitability of Stead scoring though.  I don't want to try and predict the rest.

392151[/snapback]

Actually, had I been driving from home, I would have been going past Hull.

Sunderland to win - they have to sometime and it will probably be Saturday!

Hughes should have a youngish positive attack minded team for the Sunderland game, one that will have plenty of energy that will waste Sunderland away.

Hopefully players like Bellamy, Reid and Pedersen didnt burn thermselves out too much against Boro and their energy levels will once again be in evidence.

The back four has to be more disciplined and try to prevent Sunderland having one chance at goal.

A laid back, casual, Tugay returning doesnt inspire me at all, Bentley and Reid for me in the middle would like to see Dickov coming on for Pongolle sooner rather than later if Pongolle isnt doing the business though and hopefully another three points.

Hopefully going to be there making plenty of noise.

Hope Tugay will remain fit for this one

Does anyone else think Bellamy should be given a rest between now and the end of the season, possibly in this game?

This may prove to be our easiest game following which we have home games against pool and Chelsea and trips to relegation battlers, 4 games for which we really need Bellamy.

Better rest him now than have him miss more crucial games unsure.gif

Well I’ve no idea what’s going on. First of all there’s rumours of a ridiculous price increase coming up. Just because I’m not going to become an OAP next season it looks like I’m going to have to spend the same as this season on my new season ticket. Can’t the club stagger it a bit? EG when I reach 36 they reduce the amount I pay every year, say £30, until I become an OAP?

Then there’s the ridiculous amount of money the players get paid so I can watch them for free live from the pub every week. It’s scandalous. It’s enough to make me want to stick another tenner in the bandit.

Then the club move the Liverpool fixture when they have little choice and then they make the turnstiles break on purpose. And before all that there was the FA Cup Final tickets sham in 1960.

Not that I’m one to complain.

Anyway we’re just bound to lose. It's so obvious. Stead hasn’t scored all season. They haven’t won all season at home. We recently beat them 2-0 at Ewood. They’re on course to become the worst team in the history of the Premier league. We’re on a great run, Bellamy is on fire. We may even qualify for Europe.

Sunderland 9 - Rovers 0. Stead x6, Kevin Ball x2, Nyron Nosworthy x1. It’s all Savages fault for being suspended. I tried to warn you. Hughes out.

Does anyone else think Bellamy should be given a rest between now and the end of the season, possibly in this game?

392331[/snapback]

ohmy.gifblink.gif

We only have one midweek game left this season, why would we rest our best player at the most crucial point of the season?! We have 9 days before we play again after the Sunderland game...

Well I’ve no idea what’s going on. First of all there’s rumours of a ridiculous price increase coming up. Just because I’m not going to become an OAP next season it looks like I’m going to have to spend the same as this season on my new season ticket. Can’t the club stagger it a bit? EG when I reach 36 they reduce the amount I pay every year, say £30, until I become an OAP?

Then there’s the ridiculous amount of money the players get paid so I can watch them for free live from the pub every week. It’s scandalous. It’s enough to make me want to stick another tenner in the bandit.

Then the club move the Liverpool fixture when they have little choice and then they make the turnstiles break on purpose. And before all that there was the FA Cup Final tickets sham in 1960.

Not that I’m one to complain.

Anyway we’re just bound to lose. It's so obvious. Stead hasn’t scored all season. They haven’t won all season at home. We recently beat them 2-0 at Ewood. They’re on course to become the worst team in the history of the Premier league. We’re on a great run, Bellamy is on fire. We may even qualify for Europe.

Sunderland 9 - Rovers 0. Stead x6, Kevin Ball x2, Nyron Nosworthy x1. It’s all Savages fault for being suspended. I tried to warn you. Hughes out.

392333[/snapback]

Bob, what do you do for a living? 'Cos you really should be writing a sit-com here in Hollywood.

This reminds me of the time we went to West Ham after they hadn't won a home game all season, they eventually got relegated but still managed to beat us that night.

I'd love us to win it, but I have grave concerns.... Sunderland have recently got rid of their manager and although there has not really been an upturn in performance I feel there will have to be one soon. I just hope it doesn't come against us.

392207[/snapback]

I travelled over from Ireland for that game mad.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.