BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Rise And Fall Of Mgp

A few month ago alot of people where expecting ManU to try and sign MGP in the summer. I was thinking finally we have a replament for Duff and we wont sell easy. Now I would bite any clubs hands off if they came with 1.5m for him. Does Peter's rise spell the end of MGP or does he have somthing still to offer?

Bckham received critisim for not having the ablity to beat the defender, same with MGP. However MGP cant pass from open play, does not have the work rate anyway near any other player in the team. What is the point! He is one of our few flair players, but has little flair. Ok he scored a lot of goals before Bellers est himself but is that enough?

The former Leeds full back Ian Harte would be better in our team at the moment, as we cant defend (so he will fit right in) and Peter can play left wing, with Harte taking the dead balls.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think MGP has a pretty decent work rate and does have the ability to play some pretty amazing balls, seriously we had enough knee jerk reaction after the birmingham game we don't need more. It is true people got pretty worked up about him but a lot recognised the weak spots in his game and said it was pretty much only his goals that was making him such a valuable member. He isn't the best left midfield player and but he isn't a horrible player either. He's a very talented prospect who with a little effort could turn out to be a very good player. I'm happy that we have him.

A few month ago alot of people where expecting ManU to try and sign MGP in the summer.  I was thinking finally we have a replament for Duff and we wont sell easy.  Now I would bite any clubs hands off if they came with 1.5m for him.  Does Peter's rise spell the end of MGP or does he have somthing still to offer?

Bckham received critisim for not having the ablity to beat the defender, same with MGP.  However MGP cant pass from open play, does not have the work rate anyway near any other player in the team.  What is the point!  He is one of our few flair players, but has little flair.  Ok he scored a lot of goals before Bellers est himself but is that enough?

The former Leeds full back Ian Harte would be better in our team at the moment, as we cant defend (so he will fit right in) and Peter can play left wing, with Harte taking the dead balls.

401082[/snapback]

1.5m! That would be an outrage! 5m at least.

Give him a shot up front with bells I say!

He is one of our few flair players, but has little flair.

401082[/snapback]

?

how can he have little flair but at the same time be one of our flair players?

i'd say, its not the end. sure he's having a bad spell now, but the rest of the team is not playin so well at moment either. though having said that, i really hope he'll regain his goal scoring form soon.

Edited by asianRover

There is a lot of guff talked about MGP on here. He is, if you watch carefully, very similar to Beckham. He hasn't the ability to regularly go past a player, nor has he the pace to outrun anyone (these are rare attributes these days), but he is a genuine threat from crosses and dead ball situations. He also has a good first touch and vision - more so than anyone in our team other than Bellers and Tugay. His work rate is quite good as well given you have Gray bombing forward a lot and he has to fill in for him. For those that think Peter is a ready-made replacement and we should cash in - you are just plain wrong. Peter is a talent who has POTENTIAL. He is not there yet, and as such cashing in on MGP, if that is an option, risks unbalancing us.

Most things are black and white with Rovers fans - if someone hits form they are brilliant. When they lose it (as every player does) they should be sold. At the moment Reidy is flavour of the month - when he loses form the same people will be slating him and wanting to sell him!

I personally think pedesen's tracking back is excellent for a wide player, as are his free kicks, and, ofcourse, he has the brilliant ability to cut in form the left and score.

But I think those who say he isn't involved in games when we are attacking are correct. He can pass the ball decently but rarely put is a ball that troubles the opposition defence, and he has taken very few shots from range.

If I was him I would be looking at Peter's last performance with trepidation, clearly from corners and crossing Peter has as good or even more accuracy, plus he seems to be able to play the through ball. The big problems are that the German is waif like and does not do any effective tracking back whatsoever, and I don't think Peter is going to trouble the keeper much from free kicks.

Whilst we're flogging our most effective wide midfielder, why not get rid of Nelsen for £1.5 million.

A spell on the sidelines might be what's needed to get Pedersen performing again. Not selling him.

401096[/snapback]

We shouldn't renew that useless goalkeepers contract either. And who's this waster Bellamy? He hasn't scored for a couple of games now. I'm sure we can offload him in the summer!

If he didn't fall over so easily in one-on-ones I'm sure everyone would love him even through this bad patch of his.

401099[/snapback]

I'd probably forgive him his recent inability to run/walk/stand up if only he would win a 50/50 challenge now and again. Or just challenge somebody on the opposition team. It's like playing with ten men once we're not in possession.

Edit: TNR, yes he does. Some girl who won Miss Norway a few years ago.

Edited by sleepyjack

Whilst we're flogging our most effective wide midfielder, why not get rid of Nelsen for £1.5 million.

A spell on the sidelines might be what's needed to get Pedersen performing again. Not selling him.

401096[/snapback]

I like mgp, but you can't compare him to nelsen.

A few month ago alot of people where expecting ManU to try and sign MGP in the summer.  I was thinking finally we have a replament for Duff and we wont sell easy.  Now I would bite any clubs hands off if they came with 1.5m for him.  Does Peter's rise spell the end of MGP or does he have somthing still to offer?

Bckham received critisim for not having the ablity to beat the defender, same with MGP.  However MGP cant pass from open play, does not have the work rate anyway near any other player in the team.  What is the point!  He is one of our few flair players, but has little flair.  Ok he scored a lot of goals before Bellers est himself but is that enough?

401082[/snapback]

Utter ballcocks. Why hasn't anybody else just come out and said this yet? I don't think there's any need to go into detail about it, but if we sold Pedersen for 1.5 million this summer, I'd want Williams to be sacked, instantly.

I'm not saying cashing in on him is necessarily a bad idea, but if we flogged Pedersen for that, the whole Premiership would take us for mugs forevermore. That's less than we bloody paid. His form is faltering lately- so what? Do you think that suddenly makes him useless? No, he's just off the boil, it happens to all professional players. He was toss when we got him, but Hughes changed his game around. Pedersen has played almost every game this year, and lets not forget his physical prowess was one of the reasons he played poorly at the beginning. So many games have taken it out of him. For somebody whose board name is 'blind devotion', you're very very fickle. No offence.

I'd probably forgive him his recent inability to run/walk/stand up if only he would win a 50/50 challenge now and again. Or just challenge somebody on the opposition team. It's like playing with ten men once we're not in possession.

401113[/snapback]

That's the best summation of MGP I've seen. He's the most cowardly player we've got in those situations and you KNOW he's not going to try to get the ball.

He wasn't exactly setting the Premiership alight earlier in the season but he was scoring goals, which made up for his poor performances. Once the goals dried up he's been exposed as just an average player who can't beat a man, has no pace but does posses a good left foot.

If Spurs or anyone else offer anything remotely like 5million we should cash in and laugh all the way to the bank.

He wasn't exactly setting the Premiership alight earlier in the season but he was scoring goals, which made up for his poor performances. Once the goals dried up he's been exposed as just an average player who can't beat a man, has no pace but does posses a good left foot.

If Spurs or anyone else offer anything remotely like 5million we should cash in and laugh all the way to the bank.

401194[/snapback]

Me too, he offers naff all other than his scoring, which just happens to be the point of the game. My thoughts are he hurts the team in the long run. I'd like to see Peter given a decnt run, here he has a bit of an ego problem, is that right.

That's the best summation of MGP I've seen.  He's the most cowardly player we've got in those situations and you KNOW he's not going to try to get the ball.

401192[/snapback]

Um, maybe its just me but i have thought that MGP is an extremely good "tracker backer" to be honest. Points of comparison: Emerton, Reid, De Pedro (ha!), Thompson, Bentley, Mahon, Duff, Peter, Gillespie.

Out of all of those he has been the best IMHO.

Apart from his goals, he is only young and there is no way he will get better...

Goals alone he deserves his place in the side. He is still young and I think he puts in a good work for the team attacking and defending.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.