BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rooney Carried Off

den

They can give Rooney all the oxygen tents they like but its not going to make any difference.

Lets just face it he isn't going and if somehow he does he is going to be half the player he is due to lack of match sharpness/training.

We can do well without him its just down to whoever replaces him to step up to the mark and make good use their opportunity.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting sick to death of this Rooney obssession. You'd think we had no other players.

Time for Sven to finally start earning his 5m p.a.

But if he can't come up with a decent attacking formation with players of the calibre of Gerrard, Lampard, Owen, Joe Cole, SWP, Defoe, Lennon etc to call upon it's a pretty poor do.

Well at least now we know and it gives another players a chance to shine.

Owen, Crouch, Bent, Defoe, Ashton ???

Plus we've probably got one of the best attacking midfields around.

Bugger!

What I would do if I were the Svenster:

Owen

Gerrard

J Cole

Lampard              Beckham

Carrick

A Cole  Terry    Carragher  Neville

Robinson

Subs: James, King, Bridge (if fit?), Lennon, Downing, Crouch, D Bent

It's still not a bad side lads!

Yeah still a very good side. I'd just swap Gerrard & Lampard around and that would be my team.

404599[/snapback]

Has Lampard ever played as a supporting striker? I know Gerrard has and done a very good job at it at Liverpool...

I think it would be stupid to play Crouch. He is a decent player but of nowhere near the same quality as Owen, Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, J Cole, Beckham. It would be a waste to have him starting. Defoe and Bent have more quality on the ball but are so like Owen that it could mean we lack options.

If only Bellamy was English... he is the best British striker, save Rooney, at dropping deep and picking up the ball from midfield.

Rooney should not be included in the squad, simple as that.

We are not a one man team. He's a world class player and a match winner but so are Lampard, Gerrard, Joe Cole, Beckham, Owen and John Terry.

403933[/snapback]

Yes he should be in the squad - simple as that.

Sven has to name an extra striker instead of (eg) an extra centre half. We all know that Jansen was replaced by Keown in 2002, and Keown never kicked a ball.

Well this time Rooney must go - and maybe he won't kick a ball - but if Sven picks the right mix of defenders it won't matter.

The media harps on and on and on about the World Cup starting in 6 weeks. But the final is in 10 weeks, and if England progress and Rooney comes back on line in 7-8 weeks then he can play a massive part.

Tired defenders don't want to see that sort of player coming fresh off the bench 70 mins into a tense knock out game in the World Cup. He's very important to England, and Sven would be right to take him.

Neither Owen nor Rooney will play a game in this World Cup.

Pretty well all the other English forward options don't unduly worry Rovers fans when they turn out against us so they won't cause any sleepless nights in Brasil, Argentina, Spain, Italy, France, Germany....

We can relax- there is no chance England will win the World Cup. The last time we won it, we had the luxury of not putting Jimmy Greaves in the squad. Bit of a difference compared with 2006.

After Owen failing to make Newcastle's sixteen yesterday i think we can safely say he won't make it to Germany, he may take part in one of the warm-up matches but i think its a mental problem as well as a physical one with Owen now. Like last week when he came off complaining of a dull pain but they found nothing wrong with it on the scans.

It would be great to have him in the starting XI as he is a truly great player.

No Rooney/No Owen-No WC Win.

With Rooney in the team, England had as good a chance of winning the World Cup as the likes of Italy, Czech Republic and Holland. It will be very difficult for them to do it without him in the team. I think things have been made more difficult with Sven's team selection. Michael Owen's fitness is also a concern, as his lack of football. England have a good team for this World Cup, but they have been dealt a major blow in the striking department.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not quite sure what to believe at this point. I guess there is still hope that Rooney will be able to play in the World Cup in some way. I think though that if this happens it will have been all rushed and maybe it is in the teams best interest to give a committed "vote of confidence" to an alternate player right now. None of this "we'll play you until something possibly better comes along".

We should start with Steven Gerrard and Owen up front. Everybody in this country will get behind that and it will provide a nice balance if we keep the ball on the floor. If we are getting nowhere and we need to aim for heads we can always bring on Crouchy.

Personally I would actually think a fully fit combination of Owen and Gerrard up front would be preferable to a Rooney at 80% and Owen.

BBC website has now changed their story, initially they said he would be out till 2 days before the final.

I still think he's too much of a risk to take, especially with the rest of the strikers we have.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.