Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Return Of Henchoz

The Fly

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the seasons Rovers were fighting relegation coming 15th? :rolleyes:

Yes, and the next one where we finished 15th after that. It was our lack of goals that made us finish so low, not our defense.

I don't care what you say ... player of the season in the Premiership two years in a row is an accomplishment.

I remember him lacking in pace a little even when we had him at the age of around 23, I don't suppose he's got any quicker at 32. I hope he's still got the awareness to overcome this.

I remember when Henning Berg returned to Rovers. He wasn't exactly quick, but his awareness and speed of thought more than compensated and he turned out to be an excellent signing. The partnership with Craig Short who also wasn't fast was outstanding for a while.

I can't see Henchoz being a regular, but bringing him in as cover on a free providing his wages are reasonable would seem to be a shrewd bit of business, no doubt instigated by the loss of Nelsen for longer than expected and possible departure of Matteo.

I didn't say he's too slow, that's not my concern because he's always been slow and he's always made up for it with great awareness. He didn't look a great defender to me for Wigan though last season. I remember seeing lots of highlights where he was completely out of position and was left for dead by attackers. I'm concerned that he may not have the same awareness anymore. And if you're correct in speculating he was brought in to the squad to add depth I think it's a bad transfer. We have plenty of players who already provide depth in Matteo, Khizanishvili, McEveley, Todd. What we have needed all summer is a top defender. I may be speaking out of turn because I've not seen enough of Ooijer to assess him - maybe he will be the top defender we desperately need, particularly in Nelsen's absence.

Nice to see him back! At 32, he can still do a job - actually thought he was older.

Sorry but i have to laugh at this.

We forked out £2 million-ish for Ooijer, he's 2 months older then Henchoz and we're concerned that because of his age Henchoz might not be able to do a job.

Tell you what, id love to see Henchoz give Ooijer a run for his money!!

As I said I've not seen enough of Ooijer to formulate a fair opinion but I did see plenty of Henchoz last season. I think a lot of people (myself included) are giving Ooijer the benefit of the doubt because he's still a fairly big player for Holland (who are a far better team than Switzerland).

From what I saw of Henchoz last season at Wigan, I wouldn't have touched him with a barge pole.

I never thought he was all that in the first place (we were relegated in his only full season if I remember rightly) and although I give Henchoz a chance I won't be surprised to see this blow up in our faces. Questionable to say the least.

From what I saw of Henchoz last season at Wigan, I wouldn't have touched him with a barge pole.

I never thought he was all that in the first place (we were relegated in his only full season if I remember rightly) and although I give Henchoz a chance I won't be surprised to see this blow up in our faces. Questionable to say the least.

No, we actually qualified for Europe in his first full season. But obviously that had nothing to do with his good play while the relegation the season after was almost certainly down to his bad play.

Obviously.

And nothing to do with Brian Kidd.

Or the decision to play 4-3-3 with Wilcox in the centre.

Or Ashley Ward.

Or Nathan Blake.

Personally I find rather puzzling however its probably better than nothing.

It was on the Radio again this morning that Henchoz won't be available for a while anyway as he is not fit.

In addition Hughes said he could no turn the opportunity of sigining and experienced Premiership professional.

To me he wasn't anything special when he left and can't be any better know, and from all accounts would appear to be just a panic buy to swell the numbers because of the Todd situation and our disciplinary record as I get the feeling he won't be playing out of choice. :huh:

The roberts injury will give us a chance to see if Nonda is up to it. Is there any news on the Jeffers appeal yet??

The injury to Nelsen is a huge blow. Guess thats why we got Henchoz in as Cover.

Yes there is Ricky.

Jeffers red has been overturned, so he's available for selection v City

If Henchoz awareness hasn't deserted him, he will still be a good defender, not a top defender but he cannot be any worse than Todd "The Thug" can he?

Hopefully he is only onboard as a stop gap e.g. till Nelsen is fully fit and Ooijer gets up to scratch in the Premiership and/or Zurab decides he doesn't want to give away any more penalties whichever one comes sooner.

On a side-note does anybody know how many penalties Zurab has given away since his move from Glasgow Rangers to us, it must be about 6 or 7 now surely?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.