SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool 1 - 1 Rovers

IPB Image v IPB Image

Date: Sat 14th October

Time: 3pm

IPB Image

How Liverpool Began

The great city of Liverpool began as a tidal pool next to the Mersey. It was probably called the lifer pol meaning muddy pool. There may have been a hamlet at Liverpool before the town was founded in the 13th century. It is not mentioned in the Domesday Book (1086) but it may have been too small to merit a mention of its own.

Since then, Liverpool has boomed into one of the country’s largest cities, hosting 2 premiership football clubs, and Liverpool John Lennon Airport.

IPB Image

How Liverpool FC Began

When Everton left Anfield in a dispute over rent in 1892, club chairman John Houlding stayed behind along with a handful of supporters and just three first-team players. But he was determined to see football continue at the ground. He formed a new club from scratch, and chose the name Liverpool FC.

IPB Image

Even John Houlding couldn't have predicted how successful it would become. More than 100 years on, no English club can match the Liverpool FC roll of honour; League Champions 18 times (but still no premiership), FA Cup winners seven times, League Cup winners seven times, European Cup winners five times and UEFA Cup winners three times.

Recent Results

2005/2006

Rovers 0-1 Liverpool

Liverpool 1-0 Rovers

2004/2005

Rovers 2-2 Liverpool

Liverpool 0-0 Rovers

2003/2004

Rovers 1-3 Liverpool

Liverpool 4-0 Rovers

2002/2003

Rovers 2-2 Liverpool

Liverpool 1-1 Rovers

2001/2002

Rovers 1-1 Liverpool

Liverpool 4-3 Rovers

So, as you can see, we haven’t managed to beat Liverpool in the past 5 seasons. In fact, the last time we beat Liverpool in the league was in the 96/97 season when we won 3-0 at Ewood. So surely a victory is due?

I haven’t managed to find the stats on sendings off, but there’s been a few, and I’d hazard a guess they were all for Rovers.

Q&A Session

A work colleague, Darren, who is a life long pool fan, has agreed to do some answers to my questions:

Jim: How would you rate your season so far?

Darren: Not the start we would have wanted but I am sure it will pick up. We will put a string of 10 straight wins together beginning with Blackburn then there will be no stopping us.

Jim: How would you rate Blackburns?

Darren: Blackburn aren’t doing too bad. You are a point ahead of us but you do have to visit Anfield were we have three straight wins under our belt this season so I can’t see you getting much out of it (I hope!). I think you might have a good run in the UEFA cup this year too.

Jim: Where do you think both teams will finish?

Darren: Liverpool will be either 2nd or 3rd. I can’t see us getting top spot after our slow start but then again Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal have had far from perfect starts. Blackburn will be involved in a relegation battle with Everton at the end of the season and Rovers will stay up after a last gasp winner to send Everton down. Seriously I think you will get in the top 6 or 7 again.

Jim: Liverpool have been likened to Sophie Ellis-Bextor, individually all the components look great but stick them together and it just doesn't work. What do you think of the rotation system that Rafa was trying earlier in the season?

Darren: What do you mean trying? He still is! It is now the 94th game on the bounce he has changed the team. It is a rotation system but it always has the same core of 15 or 16 players. I think Kuyt is going to be first choice striker and then it will be between Crouch and Bellamy to join him. Sissoko and Alonso pick themselves in the midfield and Rafa just has to decide were Gerrard fits in. First choice centre back is Carragher and Agger is beginning to take over Hypia’s role. Right Back first choice will be finnan and Riise for Left. Reina is not looking as safe as last season but I think Rafa will keep faith. A couple of wingers were brought in this summer to add another dimension to the team that we have lacked for the past few seasons. Expect to see more of Gonzales and Pennant this season. Aurelio seems to be pretty good too.

Jim: Craig Bellamy was our hero last season, how is he performing for you?

Darren: He will come good I am sure. Peter Crouch had a slow start last season and I think it he went about 19 games without a goal. I am not sure Craig will get the same run in the team as Crouch had though. Kuyt is a definite starter and it is hard to leave out England’s most prolific striker this year either. There are plenty of games to play in this season. As Peter Crouch has learnt that goals don’t guarantee a starting place under Rafa which is something Bellamy will have to get used to.

Jim: You’re going to Australia next month, but I doubt you’ll miss any of the games as your lot always seem to be on the box. Do you agree there is a bias towards the big clubs when it comes to TV coverage, and more importantly when it comes to referees?

Darren: I will miss all the games due to the time difference and being stuck in the bush ;0). But when I am back in April I will have a chance to watch Britain’s most successful club retain the FA Cup and win the European Cup for the 6th time, The Premiership will be wrapped up because of our ten point lead and the Carling Cup will be gathering dust in the anfield trophy cabinet. Sorry, that was a dream, back to the question….

Erm, I do think the bigger clubs get a lot more exposure on TV and I think it is down to audiences. On a Liverpool forum a couple of years ago someone complained to ITV and asked why we were always on ITV 2 and that shower of @#/? from Old Trafford and the Russian Rent Boys were always on ITV1. They said it was to do with audiences and what the advertisers want. Advertisers want maximum viewers to sell their products so the teams with biggest support / interest are always on.

Referees have a tough job and I think we need to introduce technology to ensure decisions are always correct. Millions of pounds can be decided by the split second decision of one man….. It’s not fair on the referee, the fans or the club.

Jim: Peter Crouch seems to be an England revelation, but he’s struggling to get into your side. What do you think of his bird?

IPB Image

Darren: No comment

Jim: Define confusion

Darren: Fathers day in Liverpool

IPB Image

Jim: Finally, your prediction?

Darren: 2-0 Gerrard & Crouch.

If the game finishes and all our players still have their limbs in tact that will be an added bonus!

Warning to all fans travelling to the game

Latest news reports advise that a cell of 4 terrorists has been operating in Liverpool. Police advised earlier today that 3 of the 4 have been detained. The Merseyside Regional Police Commissioner stated that the terrorists Bin Thievin, Bin Drinkin and Bin Fightin have been arrested on immigration issues.

The Police advise further that they can find no one fitting the description of the fourth cell member, Bin Workin, in the area. Police are confident that anyone who looks like Workin will be very easy to spot in the community.

My prediction?

A 1-1 draw, Alonso with a tap in for them, and McCarthy with a 40 yrd screamer for us.

Edited by Jim J

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fairplay jim j, a well good preview, liked the funnies!

i think the last time we won at anfield was in the f.a.cup when who? nathan blake scored!!!

with the international break before the fixture, hopefully our guys will be alright and the scousers return with a few knocks to make them weak.

its about time we won in anfield, this is the revenge mission for that cisse goal that stuffed up our champions league hopes last season at ewood! that still winds me up!

Edited by jansenpresty10@wales

I can see this game going Liverpool's way with a 1-0 result. Probably off a controversial decision. Boo.

In related news, it's the first time I've predicted defeat this season. :o I tried hard to fight it off, but the Rovers Pessimism Syndrome is starting to take effect.

If the game finishes and all our players still have their limbs in tact that will be an added bonus!

When will this reputation ever be shaken off? Cheeky work colleague!

Ah well, nice preview anyway. Apart from the interview. ;)

Liverpool 0-0 Rovers

Bellamy off injured with a broken leg after Lucas Neill, with a nasty(/tasty) tackle, decided to show the Rovers fans that he still is passionate about playing for Rovers.

btw: Neill sent off, he will be very upset and not understand why he got the red card. And who can blame him? he just finished off Bellamy. :ph34r:

cant wait for this one, got a good feeling about it. i expect nonda and reid to return and rovers to win 2-0!

benni, early on, and jeffers, in the dying minutes, at the kop end! :D

reminder to those travelling:- DONT BOO BELLAMY! GIVE HIM A STANDING OVATION AND SING HIS NAME!

hope i dont end up looking a fool, by being the only one doing it! :o

cant wait for this one, got a good feeling about it. i expect nonda and reid to return and rovers to win 2-0!

reminder to those travelling:- DONT BOO BELLAMY! GIVE HIM A STANDING OVATION AND SING HIS NAME!

sorry mate, I won't support your ovation to bellamy...he played well for us and I don't blame him for wanting to play for his favourite club, but can't possible give him an ovation after the way he left and all the lies...

sorry mate, I won't support your ovation to bellamy...he played well for us and I don't blame him for wanting to play for his favourite club, but can't possible give him an ovation after the way he left and all the lies...

pks, i dont hold any grudges against bellamy.

he was amazing for us last season, a real talisman. he provided he provided many magical moments and is amongst the best centre forwards to ever have pulled on a rovers shirt.

i'll show my gratitude. it's obvious bellamy has great affection for our club and i'd like it to stay that way.

back in feb, on an old bellamy thread, i posted:-

the apathy of the blackburn (& nearby) public amazes me!

if fans dont show there appreciation, both in attendance & vocal support,

*(but you dont need large numbers to generate an atmosphere/ west brom and pompey prove that!)*

then we dont deserve hughes, bellamy or a top 7 side!

maybe bellers' felt the same ?

no standing ovation or cheering off his name, he did well for us, but lied cant ignore that, he said he was here for the long haul and no clause when he signed, then left with the clause that dint exisit :unsure:

Liverpool 0 Referee 3 Rovers 0

0 points it is then. To me, referees are not made of stern stuff these days - an Anfield crowd will influence the result.

spot on Nayef

the ref spot worrie sme greatly about this game.

But something has to give with Liverpool and they have to lose at home sometime so why not versus Rovers ?

Hard fought game but I dont see anything positive for Rovers as you can see the outcome now :-

Liverpool 1 -0 Rovers - Bellamy scores his first league goal off his arse with a triple deflection via lucas Neills hand of go imitation ! Rovers to finsih the game with 13 bookings and 3 sending offs, Liverpool fans steal the coach wheels, the refs car and burn the linesmans flags and despite whatever happans rafa the fat spicko git will not have seen anything untowards in the post match interview :tu:

bellamy is nothing to me

I am in debt to him for how well he did for us

but he is in debt to us for lieing, he doesnt deserve boos` nor a sing song or clap

I think Bellamy should be treated like any other opposition player. I don't think he deserves to be singled out for stick, but he also doesn't deserve anything like a standing ovation, one year of service and then leaving on the cheap doesn't entitle you to that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.