BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Roberts

benhben

According to The Times today Fulham are now after Jas. It also mentions that Everton and Charlton are keen but he wouldnt be prepared to drop divisions. Sorry I dont have a link.

Tribal link

It is strange indeed, but I will put this in the biased media bracket, the only quote from JR himself is about wanting Benni to stay, which I guess says it all.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Also there is a bit about Bentley later as well.

Bentley made a comment that I thought was weird:-

Question - who were your football hero's?

Bentley says

"Gazza and Cantona were both good role models on and off the pitch"

Wait for the reports that Bentley has kung fu'ed a fan while drunk and eating a curry :lol:

• 2 months later...
I hate to lose Roberts. May not be one of the most technically-gifted but certainly one of the most hardworking and down-to-earth person.

If he was down-to-earth he would realise he's not good enough to be starting in a side chasing European places.

another option is rigters?

If Hughes doesn't feel he can play Rigters against a poor Championship side then I'm not that Rigters should be here any longer. He's 23 already so he can't have that much improvement left in him, it would be best all round if he went somewhere he could play regularly.

another option is rigters?

On Radio Rovers they kept calling him Maceo, which to a woolly hat covered ear, sounded like Matteo. My mate nearly had a heart attack "He's not still bloody here, is he?"

Imagine Benni and Matteo. Slowest attack EVER!

Gone OT, sorry...

If teams are actually offering a few million quid for him, which has been reported then I would take it. I think that he is a good squad player, who adds great strength, power and pace to the attack. But his finishing has always let him down. Hughes has said that he won't let players leave if it is going to weaken the team and unless Hughes had a replacement lined up, I don't see him leaving because Derbyshire, Rigters and Gallagher would be the only cover. The latter two's ability to perform in the Premiership is very much in doubt.

Im reading Ian Holloways autobiography at the moment and he has some pretty negative thoughts on Jason Roberts from their time at bristol rovers. In my opinion hes not prepared to fight for his place here and wants it easy which shows what type of player he is and this is similar to what happened back then...although at that time it was more about money.

Roberts has never had the finishing ability to be of any real use to us.

His level is as a player for a struggling premiership team or an asprirational championship side.

Derbyshire for me is a superior option.

Roberts has never had the finishing ability to be of any real use to us.

His level is as a player for a struggling premiership team or an asprirational championship side.

Derbyshire for me is a superior option.

Rubbish. It's horses for courses with those two.

Where have you heard that Roverite? Hopefully we can hold out for £3.5 million. If we can get a combined £5 million for him & Savage then that is very good business on our behalf!

but might not be good for the team, if we don't bring in quality players to replace these players, i would much rather Savage and Roberts stayed at Rovers and get rid of some players who quite simply are not producing the goods on the pitch this season

but might not be good for the team, if we don't bring in quality players to replace these players, i would much rather Savage and Roberts stayed at Rovers and get rid of some players who quite simply are not producing the goods on the pitch this season

There is no problem imo with Roberts ability it's just that the abilities of RSC and Benni have shut him out. Compare the haul of Bent and Kuqi when Charlton and ourselves raided Ipswich Town. They had scored about 40 goals between them..... only slightly in favour of Darren Bent. But hindsight tells us a far different story. Who knows how Roberts would have done with a decent length of time up top with RSC?

• 2 months later...
There is no problem imo with Roberts ability it's just that the abilities of RSC and Benni have shut him out. Compare the haul of Bent and Kuqi when Charlton and ourselves raided Ipswich Town. They had scored about 40 goals between them..... only slightly in favour of Darren Bent. But hindsight tells us a far different story. Who knows how Roberts would have done with a decent length of time up top with RSC?

It appears that we are in the process of finding out. He must be ahead of Benni now after his last few performances.

It appears that we are in the process of finding out. He must be ahead of Benni now after his last few performances.

Until Roberts went on a fantastic slaloming run late in the first half, Roberts was woeful yesterday losing posession every time the ball went to him. That two-thirds the length of the pitch charge seemed to settle him down though.

Archived