BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cult Heroes

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hence the name!!!!!!!

Cult hero, legend whatever you want to call him this guy had it all.

Yup, Col's my all-time favourite player. As you say, a legend!

I've no plans to have kids but if I ever do have a son, the poor sod will be taking the name Colin to school :)

Simon :brfc:

A true legend. The Blackburn End sang that for years after he left for any bad miss. Ha ha.

Yes the "Beamo, Beamo, Beamo" chant did begin at Rovers because of Ken Beamish's amazing ability to miss open goals and score difficult ones. But you would be surprised (as I was) to find how far afield the chant has spread now. The crowd up here in Dunfermline sing it all the time for precisely the same reasons. Obviously no idea where it originated from or the reasons behind it, but they do it just the same.

From the current team my choices would be Tugay and Samba. Tugay is obviously a fans favourite - and I think Samba will become the same. His start in a Rovers shirt has been incredibly impressive - his shoulder charge on Baptista on Wednesday was amazing. Made "The Beast" look not so beast like.

For me - a cult hero doesn't have to be the best player - but just a player that the fans love.

I always felt that the cult heroes usually weren't the best player in the side but they have something unique, usually an affinity with the fans, that more gifted players sometimes lack.

Here's another for us oldies - 'C'mon without, c'mon within, you'll not see nothing like Don Martin!'

I used to wonder how a one legged man had got a contract with a professional football team, but then my Dad pointed out that Stuart Metcalfe actually had two legs although was only able to turn in one direction when within the centre circle. I grew up thinking there were players whose job it was to guard the 20 yard diameter centre area of the pitch. Now, of course we have players whose main function is to stay in the same area but who (thankfully) have learned the art of two legged footballing --- super Toogs being a fine example of the art.

BEEMO! BEEMO! BEEMO!

No seriously! Beamo really was a cult hero at Ewood for a long time (probably still is with those who remenmber him). You couldn't help but like him in spite of his dreadful misses, because he always had the right attitude and he did score some crackers as well.

My few players would be

Metcalfe

Bobby Hoy

John Radford

Norman Bell

John Waddington

Graham Hawkins

Stu Ripley

sir Alan Shearer of ewood

Bobby Svarc

Paul Bradshaw

Roger Jones

Don Martin

Beamo

Mike Hickman

John Bailey

Kevin Hird

Killer keeley

Goalden Garns

Mark Patterson

Duncan McKenzie

John Lowey

Come on there is bloody loads of legends :brfc:

I thought it was cult hero :lol: or could it be me just misreading

Anyway agree with GAYLE but could add more dependent upon how you see it

GARNER/MAIL/KEELEY/SELLARS/GENNOE/WINDY/BROTHERSTON

Captain, not many could maintain Andy Kennedy's pace AND lifestyle. For that and his wobbly knees celebrations he must be considered a cult hero.

Since I'm interpreting cult hero as one who's loved by the home team, yet either hated by the oppo or not given a toss about I'm going to nominate Hendry and his flowing mane of gold. Runners up would be Savage(just look at the nation's post leg break reaction), Kuqi, Tugay, Le Saux, Stead and Jansen. Those that deserve a shout are Yordi (I thought we hit on something big when we got him and his Terry Butcher-esque goal against Southampton sealed it for me. Benitez is just copying our style!), and Craig Short.

Those who have a good chance of becoming cult hero's are Nelsen, Samba, and Hodge, Pezzoni and Alan Judge if they can ever make the jump to senior level...

Since I'm interpreting cult hero as one who's loved by the home team, yet either hated by the oppo or not given a toss about I'm going to nominate Hendry and his flowing mane of gold. Runners up would be Savage(just look at the nation's post leg break reaction), Kuqi, Tugay, Le Saux, Stead and Jansen. Those that deserve a shout are Yordi (I thought we hit on something big when we got him and his Terry Butcher-esque goal against Southampton sealed it for me. Benitez is just copying our style!), and Craig Short.

Those who have a good chance of becoming cult hero's are Nelsen, Samba, and Hodge, Pezzoni and Alan Judge if they can ever make the jump to senior level...

Hodge is already on the way to being a cult villain;according to this weeks media coverage.

Yes the "Beamo, Beamo, Beamo" chant did begin at Rovers because of Ken Beamish's amazing ability to miss open goals and score difficult ones. But you would be surprised (as I was) to find how far afield the chant has spread now. The crowd up here in Dunfermline sing it all the time for precisely the same reasons. Obviously no idea where it originated from or the reasons behind it, but they do it just the same.

I'd heard of other teams around the lower leagues picking up on it around the time Beamo was playing for us also.

Cult hero, mine has to be Killer Keeley. I dont take a cult hero to be someone who has special talent, quite the opposite in fact it should be an average player made special by certain things he does. Sort of like Cults themselves they are cults because they are different. Keeley, Beamo are perfect examples to me.

As cult heroes go Shefki is up there but he could rise in my all time cult hero league table if he hits a hat trick tomorrow. Now that would be nice.

Captain, not many could maintain Andy Kennedy's pace AND lifestyle. For that and his wobbly knees celebrations he must be considered a cult hero.

or maybe is fling with Maria Whittaker and his affinity to sunbeds.

Will always be remembered for the goal at Villa, but my funniest memory was in a home game (can't remember who) when he wa on a break for a goal completely missed it and proceeded to then pull his hamstring.

In fact i'm sure he played with a comb down his socks ;)

or maybe is fling with Maria Whittaker and his affinity to sunbeds.

Will always be remembered for the goal at Villa, but my funniest memory was in a home game (can't remember who) when he wa on a break for a goal completely missed it and proceeded to then pull his hamstring.

In fact i'm sure he played with a comb down his socks ;)

I reckon he had genuine ability but he certainly was a character! Maybe he should get a mention on the "waste of talent thread". Cant remember who he left us for?

Archived