• Savage
    • Dunn
    • Pedersen
    • Sants Cruz
    • McCarthy
    • Tugay
    • Ooijer

As for the lad calling us a poor side,

Your not a poor side at all. I think you'll be top 10 and have some very talented players. Liked the look of petrov and his ability to hit the ball.

The simple fact was that we moved the ball around so well and closed down your attacking options so quickly there was little you could do. Set Pieces has to be a key area for citeh to improve on, far to many being wasted.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMO as far back as 1995. Interesting question is, do you reckon our team of 2007/2008 could beat the team of 1994/1995?

Ugh guys step back a bit. We're only 4 games in. This board is beginning to show the mindless optimism that made everyone laugh at Man City after their 3 wins at the start and look how it turned out for them.

i'll go on record and say the brand of attacking football we're playing at the moment is the best we've played since the 1st 6 months under hodgson.

It's still very early days but I think we're looking a lot more convincing than that false dawn under woy, if you recall we flopped spectacularly after Christmas that year and rarely won again until he was sacked the following November. In fact man for man I don't think the current line up compares at all unfavourably with the Championship team - Shearer apart. Stick a 22 year old Shearer in this side and there's no doubt we'd be legitimate title contenders again.

I have to admit I'm surprised with quite how well we've started this season, and I think the intertoto qualification has definitely helped sharpen us up in that respect.

We're looking extremely difficult to beat and yesterday saw the best football we've seen during Sparky's reign. If we can be criticised it's for not taking our chances in front of goal, because as against Everton we should have been out of sight by half time. As it was Tugay's sending off in the second half led to more than a few stomach churning moments prior to Dunne's dismissal.

Some superb individual performances yesterday, I thought Dunn was absolutely outstanding again and shaded the MOTM but no-one could complain at Nelsen getting it (best performance since return from long term injury and hopefully back to his pre injury form) nor could they have complained if Emerton had got it (best performance since that debut v Wolves)

Tugay can have no complaints whatsoever about his sending off - very stupid and totally unnecessary committing a foul in that area of the pitch so soon after his first yellow. On another day that could have cost us the three points and a player of his experience should know a lot better. Prior to that he'd actually been having a very good game.

For all the money spent Citeh looked decidedly average and it looks as though their start has flattered them. Quite reassuring to see an indication that our original views on Sven may still be correct!

It would be really nice to go to Chelsea and come away with a point and then go on a lengthy unbeaten run. Because in this sort of form you wouldn't expect anyone outside of the "big four" to beat us. Shame we're not playing Chelski this weekend given Lampard's and Drogba's injuries.

Bloody internationals.

:)

City passed the ball around well for the first 15 minutes, probably the first time I've ever seen them do so in 30yrs, but after that they had little to offer. The good thing for us is despite them spending 30million plus they're still a good way behind us and thats something to be pleased about with all the money floating around.

I must admit to being rather surprised they didn't sellout the darwen end, I'm by no means calling their support in general, but times have never been better at city over the past 30yrs yet plenty of empty seats and discounted tickets?

I thought the home support was excellent, everyone seemed up for yesterday’s game and team responded.

The feel good factor is back.

What can I say other than to echo the praise you've all been heaping on the Rovers!

The game was fantastic, our passing superb (if it had been Arsenal passing like that the pundits would still be gushing about it) and the turnout impressive.

Thoroughly deserved victory and another hard time choosing a Man of the Match.

Some superb performances at the back: Nelsen solid as ever, Samba also solid (and absolutely livid not to get that goal - I bet he's left a massive dent in the ground where he punched the BBE penalty area) and Warnock inspired (and those runs!).

I had to vote for Dunn though, for three reasons: his overall performance was a match for those above; he's well and truly back with the best performance in his second spell and finally his winding Elano up early on, which gave me a laugh anyway.

Ref was dreadful but I think we just need to get used to that - better to bask in a fantastic victory and be happy that there are loads more to come!

A note on the crowd: on Friday I tried to get a couple of seats together in the BBE. The only pairs of seats they had were down by the corner flag (in the rain). Instead I switched to the JW Upper. View was superb, atmos better than I expected and I'm tempted to go back again (I might even talk my dad into coming).

I'm so proud of my club!

The feel good factor is back.

It certainly seems that way, after spending years of seemingly making a concerted effort to discourage people from attending matches at Ewood with the pricing and silly restrictions, we now seem to be making a concerted effort to get people in and the Public seem to be responding!. :tu:

Interesting that some other clubs now seem to be experiencing what we did over the last couple of seasons - Just 22k for the Bolton/Everton Derby and also 22k at Boro.

Interesting question is, do you reckon our team of 2007/2008 could beat the team of 1994/1995?

Absolutely definitely. Most of them have retired now and Tony Gayle must be in his mid-70's. Tim Flowers has had both knees, hips and arms replaced and they may also have Jeff Kenna playing for them. The current team would absolutely murder them 1-0.

I am so happy to have got the three points today. City was a game that I really thought we could struggle with, but the boys put in yet another good performance. Our start to the season has been simply fantastic. If we'd have beaten Everton, like we deserved to, we could be right up at the top.

If our players can avoid long term injuries, then we have what it takes to challange for fifth and sixth this season.

Before I go though, I do have to make mention to the ridiculous decision to give Tugay a second yellow card for a bloody shirt pull! That could have cost us all three points today. Instead, we might be without both Savage and Tugay for out visit to Chelsea.Anybody know what injury Savage picked up by the way?

Absolutely diabolical decision, especially as the ref knew it would mean a sending off. When you look at it in the replay on TV you can see that Hamman made a complete theatrical dive and roll over to follow. How on Earth do you get that to happen by simply tugging on someone's shirt? The ref was obviously in the throes of having a "mad igg" as Granny would say. Rovers should definitely appeal that one!

In the circumstances that should have been a severe ticking off for Tugay and a warning that his next foul would see him off the pitch. Followed by a yellow for Hamman for diving.

Absolutely diabolical decision, especially as the ref knew it would mean a sending off. When you look at it in the replay on TV you can see that Hamman made a complete theatrical dive and roll over to follow. How on Earth do you get that to happen by simply tugging on someone's shirt? The ref was obviously in the throes of having a "mad igg" as Granny would say. Rovers should definitely appeal that one!

Unfortunately we can't appeal as it's a second yellow. Clubs can only appeal straight reds.

In the circumstances that should have been a severe ticking off for Tugay and a warning that his next foul would see him off the pitch. Followed by a yellow for Hamman for diving.

I agree with you that the sending off was laughable, but think Tugay needs to think about what he's doing a little more. It's obvious that as we regularly finish bottom of the Fair Play table Rovers are under particular scrutiny (the most polite phrase I could find for "criminally biased refs") and Tugay really needs to keep his nose clean (all our players do).

It was a bit stupid of Tugay but Hamann went down like he was in the synchronised diving competition obviously knowing he'd get Tugay sent off but also how many times do you see Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool players get away with much more than that when already on yellow cards, especially when they are playing against each other, and all you hear the commentators saying is "thats good refereering, we don't want to see red cards in this match, it would ruin the game between two great clubs" its double standards, the fact is, if Tugay was playing for one of the big 4, he wouldn't have been sent off

Absolutely definitely. Most of them have retired now and Tony Gayle must be in his mid-70's. Tim Flowers has had both knees, hips and arms replaced and they may also have Jeff Kenna playing for them. The current team would absolutely murder them 1-0.

Thanks bob, that had me laughing out loud.

As for the question being posed, let's just say the fact a serious question can be asked whether Rovers 07/08 would beat Rovers 94/95 (with the Championship side returned to 94/5 youth) shows we think we have got a tremendous side this season.

Going man for man:

Tim Flowers (before his injuries) v Brad Friedel - the only tie- both world beaters

Graeme Le Saux v Stephen Warnock- Sauxie by some distance

Colin Hendry v Chris Samba - Braveheart but Samba is going to be every bit as iconic as the (comparatively wee) big Scot

Tony Gale v Ryan Nelsen - the Admiral

Henning Berg v Brett Emerton - Henning for defensive ability but Bert's forwards foraging makes this close. Henning just.

Tim Sherwood v David Dunn - Tim still but Dunny could be good enough to win this one by the end of the season.

David Batty v Robbie Savage - Batty wins the battle of the hardmen.

Jason Wilcox v MGP - tight but MGP just edges over handbag

Stuart Ripley v David Bentley - Rippers still by a distance but Bentley catching up fast

Alan Shearer v Benni - 34 goals plays 24. Benni is very very good but this is no contest.

Chris Sutton/Mike Newell v Roque/Matty - got to go with 95 again but who knows what Roque and Matty will have achieved very soon; this one could also swing to 07/08.

If you drop to the reserves available, 07/08 wins hands down except for keeper (we had Shay Given in 94/5) notwithstanding a tie between Stephen Reid and Super Atko.

So first team head-to-head, that is 8.5-2.5 to the League winners BUT four are close enough to swing to 07/08 if we have an exceptional season.

Now, having a team which could be within touching distance of being better man-to-man than the Premiership winners is an awesome prospect.

That's an interesting one Jan- two remarkably similar players; both disappear(ed) from games; both could irritate the Rovers faithful to distraction; both could/can cross into row Z or occasionally drop it exactly where it is needed. On the other hand both are scorers of unforgettable goals, both good in the air. Jason had the pace and the beating of the full back and the benefit of playing with a better full back on that flank.

Went for MGP because of work rate (although Jason was no slouch), his free kicks and overall technically the more gifted player.

Damien Duff (our version) and Scott Sellers are well ahead of both of them.

It may well have been a slightly harsh second yellow. However, even if the ref had let him off with a talking to, you can bet your life that within two minutes our Turkish Delight would have done a deliberate handball or similar, just to seal the deal! Anyway, he only tends to get himself sent off once a season so hopefully that will be it for this campaign.

It's still very early days but I think we're looking a lot more convincing than that false dawn under woy, if you recall we flopped spectacularly after Christmas that year and rarely won again until he was sacked the following November.

In fact man for man I don't think the current line up compares at all unfavourably with the Championship team - Shearer apart. Stick a 22 year old Shearer in this side and there's no doubt we'd be legitimate title contenders again.

i agree with most of your post, rev. i do remember the post chrimbo slump under hodgson, but - up until then, it was the best 'attacking football' i'd ever seen rovers play (i was 18 at the time).

dont get me wrong, the championship winning side excited me, (and IMO would beat TODAY'S chelsea, arsenal, liverpool and man utd to the title) but that side played more direct and explosive football, whereas hogson's teams got the ball down and played teams off the park (technically).

i was having the "championship winning team v the current side debate", last night (with a few city, man u and burnley fans) - and i came up with with a team that'd be more of less unbeatable :

GK FREIDEL

DR BERG

DL LE SAUX

DC HENDRY

DC NELSEN

CM SHERWOOD

CM TUGAY

MR BENTLEY

ML PEDERSEN

FC MCCARTHY

FC SHEARER

Are you suggesting that Toogs got sent off deliberately?

:blink:

I wouldn't go that far, but he clearly can't be trusted when on a yellow card, as he has no discipline whatsoever. The best example was against Boro a couple of years ago, when he did two deliberate handballs in the first half and we went on to lose 4-0. It's not good enough from a 37-year old with nearly 100 caps.

Anyway, as I said earlier, he tends to have this brain-freeze once a season so hopefully it is out of the way now.

Another quote: "It seems stupid to say but it was almost easier than I thought it would be, but any how we lost the game."

MCFC

I think he meant that he had expected a much more bruising, long ball, Egil Olson under Wimbledon type showing from Blackburn. He definitely said that we weren't as physical as he had expected.

Which just goes to show the man's amazing attention to detail. His preparation for the game must have been to read some tabloid cuttings.

i agree with most of your post, rev. i do remember the post chrimbo slump under hodgson, but - up until then, it was the best 'attacking football' i'd ever seen rovers play (i was 18 at the time).

dont get me wrong, the championship winning side excited me, (and IMO would beat TODAY'S chelsea, arsenal, liverpool and man utd to the title) but that side played more direct and explosive football, whereas hogson's teams got the ball down and played teams off the park (technically).

i was having the "championship winning team v the current side debate", last night (with a few city, man u and burnley fans) - and i came up with with a team that'd be more of less unbeatable :

GK FREIDEL

DR BERG

DL LE SAUX

DC HENDRY

DC NELSEN

CM SHERWOOD

CM TUGAY

MR BENTLEY

ML PEDERSEN

FC MCCARTHY

FC SHEARER

That is a pretty sensational line-up.

You are also right about Woy's first six months- that was a fabulous football playing team with the 3-1 destruction of the eventual champions at Highbury ranking amongst the finest one game performances I have ever seen from Rovers.

I wouldn't go that far, but he clearly can't be trusted when on a yellow card, as he has no discipline whatsoever. The best example was against Boro a couple of years ago, when he did two deliberate handballs in the first half and we went on to lose 4-0. It's not good enough from a 37-year old with nearly 100 caps.

Anyway, as I said earlier, he tends to have this brain-freeze once a season so hopefully it is out of the way now.

I suspect from Hughes' lack of a reassuring pat on the back that we won't be seeing Tugay near the team for a while now.

It certainly seems that way, after spending years of seemingly making a concerted effort to discourage people from attending matches at Ewood with the pricing and silly restrictions, we now seem to be making a concerted effort to get people in and the Public seem to be responding!. :tu:

Interesting that some other clubs now seem to be experiencing what we did over the last couple of seasons - Just 22k for the Bolton/Everton Derby and also 22k at Boro.

Both the Arsenal and City games have seen a marked increase in attendance when compared to last season...... this bodes very well.

What has struck me most is the improvement in atmosphere in Ewood, the ticket price scheme has seen a knock-on effect and is really benefiting ALL concerned with the club!

Lets hope we can further attract another 2-3,000 back with this fantastic football on offer.

Fair play to City fan in peace for his comments.

Archived