BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pompey Away

philipl

That news is from an official rovers text, Tris. [or anyone else].

So perhaps it would be better to post a forum contribution saying "Rovers official text says ... ... ... ..." ??

Or wait until the 30 minutes is up between the texts going out and the full news item going on rovers.co.uk and then post a link??

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Terrible news about Axe - I think I would have preferred to lose the match rather than him get a broken leg (if the worst fears are confirmed).

Lets hope that Reid's comeback doesn't suffer any more set backs. Though I don't think we should rush him back - it is now imperative that he is back in the first team squad within a couple of weeks.

I did wonder he could next fill the midfield berth - we only have Dunn and Tugay, possibly Bentley - but no real defensive midfield player. I did wonder about Warnock - did he not play defensive midfield for Liverpool in his early days ? Beyond that - maybe Oiijer could do a job - his passing is as good as Axe - and he is probably disciplined enough to play that position.

Berner can play midfield as well. Might be an option, but Sparky will find the best solution.

This could hardly have happened at a worse time with two big matches coming up.

Does anyone have any details as to how it happened?

cracking result for us earlier this morning. i am not as confident when we make changes, but the lads that came in have shown that they are more than adequate fill ins and well done to them. i am especially pleased for young keith treacy getting his first senior game under his belt, even though he was only out there for a few minutes. moko and bents, well i am hoping that with bents it was only an impact injury and nop point further risking him ahead of two massive games for us, but i suspect axe will be out for a few weeks.

doers anybody have a link so i can see the goals???? please

Great result tonight, very pleased for those fans that travelled to the game - that shows real dedication.

Glanced at the m/b quickly this morning and noticed quite a few comments to the effect that this game wasn't as important as the two upcoming League games against Red Scum marks one and two.

I disagree totally, despite the teams left in the "League Cup" is still the best chance of silverware this season and unlike the "big four" we can't guarantee that we would have success elsewhere if we went out of this.

And I guarantee no-one will be complaining if we lift the trophy again in February or March!

Alan - with respect is not a news item, it's a one line comment - with no source quoted - on what may well be a serious problem for our midfield.

Dressing 16 words up as a "breaking news" article is not really helping anyone. :angry2:

Bearing in mind that earlier news headline from Andy Neild "Mokoena may have broken leg This is Lancashire 22:27 31-Oct-07" and THE BBC I believe that the breaking news item was a valid news item for certain members of this site who are linked to a news update email service.

If I can give them and other members of this site an official update be it 16 words or 16 vowels, without having to trawl through pages of political / racist / homophobic drivel then I believe it's helpful.

If members think otherwise then fair enough.

According to Rover6, posting on the official site, Hughes got it wrong again, this time by not playing Olsson ahead of Berner, despite the youngster being injured. Great stuff Rover6.

:!:

Hughes got it right again by successfully deploying a winning team. Again.

Just back from the game. Great win for us. Felt we were on the back foot for the majority of the second half but we took our chances. Benni was quality and Dunny battled very well but Samba is just a legend!

Rovers fans were brilliant. Hopefully someone will upload pics because some of the outfits were awesome! :lol:

I'll second that. Great performance, great atmosphere, great result, great costumes. The conga was legendary. I have some pics to upload later. "SCOOBY, SCOOBY GIVE US A WAVE!"

Hughes made a bold decision in the first half and I am not sure that anyone else has mentioned it. He brought Emerton on and played him in a defensive midfield role. He looked alright and passed it about. Maybe he could do a job over the next few games?

I was a bit worried about Berner and Khiz in the first half. They looked a little worried about receiving the ball and didn't pass it quick enough.

Benni and Roque were class acts and they held the ball and looked really dangerous. Although, I feel that Gamst offered nothing until he scored. Is it a confidence thing? Is he over confident? I guess his goal is the only thing that counts, but it would be nice if he showed some more 'Robbie Savage' passion!

:rover:

Set Sky+ to record the highlights show on ITV last night. Got up this morning to watch it but it had chopped off the last ten minutes off the programme (we were on the end as usual even though from leauge positions it was the biggest all Premiership clash).

Gutted :(

According to Rover6, posting on the official site, Hughes got it wrong again, this time by not playing Olsson ahead of Berner, despite the youngster being injured. Great stuff Rover6. Maybe Alan Mahon should be considered for Saturday's match.

CORRECTION: Now that I am told Olsson was injured, I take everything back. BTW - I don't think it'll worry you too much, but your Alan Mahon-related sarcasm is about as idiotic as they come. Try again, mate. Maybe it should have been something more contemporary like Paul Sturrock or Ciaran Donnelly.

Hughes has decisions to make based on a balance of a number of things - his job is not just about keeping the young players encouraged (although there is value in this). Apparently Olsson was injured, but in any case Hughes probably wanted to have a proper look at Berner in first team action again to judge a number of things.

If Warnock was to get injured, an experienced international full-back may be a more suitable person to step in for a longer run than a young, but potentially talented player or a player being played out of position (Emerton, Zurab etc)

Also, come January it is may be that we may receive an offer for Berner, Hughes would surely want to make a decision on whether to accept this based on performances he gives in competitive games and how much he feels he can offer going forwards.

Set Sky+ to record the highlights show on ITV last night. Got up this morning to watch it but it had chopped off the last ten minutes off the programme (we were on the end as usual even though from leauge positions it was the biggest all Premiership clash).

Gutted :(

My experience Jonno also with Virgin Media`s box. i thought this was new technology which made recording easier; not to lose 10 minutes. Has anyone got the goals for us to see?

My experience Jonno also with Virgin Media`s box. i thought this was new technology which made recording easier; not to lose 10 minutes. Has anyone got the goals for us to see?

the news ran late so the timings were out. you can set a buffer to record slightly longer though.

Just a quick quirky thing that I noticed this morning.

The Carling Cup Final is again on my birthday, the last time it was was the season when we won it.

I really dont mind who we play but a home tie versus wham, everton or man city would do nicely :brfcsmilie:

Just a quick quirky thing that I noticed this morning.

The Carling Cup Final is again on my birthday, the last time it was was the season when we won it.

I really dont mind who we play but a home tie versus wham, everton or man city would do nicely :brfcsmilie:

It was the day after your birthday last time ;)

I only know this cause we share a birthday :unsure:

Not sure if its been mentioned - but when was the last time we won 7 in a row? I can't remember it happening.

Sky Sports News were saying that it was 8 in a row. Which is wrong. They also said that it would be the first time since 1980. That could be a load of rubbish as well for all I know.

Did anyone else have to suffer John Solako (sp?) and his "reporting" last night? Garbage. Every time they went over to him live from Fratton he was saying it was only a matter of time before Pompey score. Then at the end of the game "It's all over. What a good team Blackburn are, very well organised. It's been comfortable for them." He was clearly gutted as well. Ha.

Sky Sports News were saying that it was 8 in a row. Which is wrong. They also said that it would be the first time since 1980. That could be a load of rubbish as well for all I know.

Did anyone else have to suffer John Solako (sp?) and his "reporting" last night? Garbage. Every time they went over to him live from Fratton he was saying it was only a matter of time before Pompey score. Then at the end of the game "It's all over. What a good team Blackburn are, very well organised. It's been comfortable for them." He was clearly gutted as well. Ha.

Aye, I brought it up earlier in the thread, he was dying for Portsmouth to score. Even let it slip that hopefully the next goal would be a Portsmouth one (when they were 1-0 down). Typical standard of Soccer Saturday though. :closedeyes:

Archived