BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Likely Transfer Window Targets

Pretty speculative this and I've no evidence to back it up whatsoever but does anyone think McFadden at Everton might be worth a look? Seems to impress whenever he gets a chance but looks to be moving on in January. Might be an improvement on MGP on the left and provide a decent bit of creativity.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sam would love to put one over on Sparky after Dunn's escape act last January, I think we can be pretty sure of that. Anyway why come to a club where everyone is playing dunk the bad apple (if the loads in town are to be believed)?

If he's willing to buy a player just to "put one over" another manager, he's even dumber than I thought.

We need a utility player at the back, especially one who can play at right back, and Davids might be the right man. In Hughes we trust?

On top of that, we're not in any desperate need. Players leaving would need to be replaced, but if no one does leave I would say a versatile winger (ala Milner) would do the trick. I know Milner is probably not in our reach now, but a similar player would be nice.. Does Arsenal have any more youngsters on the brink of leaving, perhaps?

When McCarthy (Mick not Benni) turned down the S Korean job, I read an article saying that all current Korean footballers are hopeless and brought up Ahn who didn't consider a trial with Rovers worthy of his status as typical of the post World Cup mindset.

Ramos on Huddlestone

"Tom's (Huddlestone) weight worried us a lot at the beginning but you could see that he is making a real effort to be fit enough. You can see the results now.

"He was magnificent. His ball control and touch, he's had a really good performance today and he's participated a lot in the match.

"I don't know how much weight Tom has lost but we have it on record."

Ramos on Huddlestone

"Tom's (Huddlestone) weight worried us a lot at the beginning but you could see that he is making a real effort to be fit enough. You can see the results now.

"He was magnificent. His ball control and touch, he's had a really good performance today and he's participated a lot in the match.

"I don't know how much weight Tom has lost but we have it on record."

Not coming to us then.Booo. Under Jol we might have been ables to get him for 3 million as he was completely out of the picture.

Apparently Isaksson might leave City for as little as £2m. Although it's obviously of no importance to us as Brad isn't retiring, it's a good price for a young (26) keeper who's first choice (50 caps) for a pretty good national team. Really surprised Sven doesn't seem to rate him as I've always thought he was quality. Oh well.

On a related note, how many more seasons do you think Brad will play? That he's with us next season is pretty much certain, but beyond that? He's never injured so it's not as if he'll quit due to that, but if he starts losing some agility and reflexes then I'd imagine he'd quit fairly soon. Strikes me as the type of player who'd want to quit while still on top, and not slowly become worse. One thing is for sure though, those'll be some big boots to fill.

Its a tricky one as we clearly need to strengthen in a couple of areas if we are going to push for the European places. Now I know somone will point out pretty quickly that UEFA Caup doesnt make us any money but surely it raises the profile of the club and should therefore increase potential buyers and possibly the value of the club. If we could push for a top 4 place with the 'pot of gold' that is the Champions League then I'm sure the club value could increase dramatically.

So it could be a case of speculate to accumulate for the trust.

Its a tricky one as we clearly need to strengthen in a couple of areas if we are going to push for the European places. Now I know somone will point out pretty quickly that UEFA Caup doesnt make us any money but surely it raises the profile of the club and should therefore increase potential buyers and possibly the value of the club. If we could push for a top 4 place with the 'pot of gold' that is the Champions League then I'm sure the club value could increase dramatically.

A point no doubt being made in most of the Champions league 'hopefuls' boardrooms as we speak Ricky. I suppose LUFC are currently proving that there is indeed life (of sorts) after death.

So suppose that we invade the elite CL clubs at the expense I guess of Liverpool / Chelsea (whose squads depth btw are currently miles in front of ours). What then? A few qualifying matches before we get ignominiously dumped into the potless UEFA where we continue to struggle to fight on 4 fronts with a minimal.... but disgruntled and by this time prohibitively expensive in remuneration terms.... squad and end up in a relegation scrap?

Just who with enough gumption to make billions would buy into that? How about writing to Paris Hiltons grandad? He's looking to offload 97% of his wealth before he dies to any just and worthy cause...... except his granddaughter's that is. :rolleyes:

Why don't we spend some money on a midfield-working-horse?

Zokora @ Tottenham?

We should, but Premier League based working horses tend to be extortionately priced (Nigel Quashie anyone?!). Zokora, despite having been iffy since joining Spurs, would be overvalued.

If fans are reduced to suggesting Zokora then they are reduced to being CM'08 junkies.

Zokora would not offer us anything we don't have and plenty of what we do have and don't want.

The 'drog's point is extremely salient- there is no point in busting a gut to get drawn against Barcelona in the CL qualifier- our defeat against Larissa did for any chance of getting into the top half of any CL draw unfortunately.

As things stand, Rovers do have financial strength in reserve but I'd rather keep it that way in case we ever have to combat relegation than go and by extremely dubious players in a ridiculously over heated market.

I think there are plenty of pointers that EPL is at its peak. In current circumstances, I'd far rather the Rovers board be thinking two to five seasons ahead than chasing after something nebulous this January.

Quite right Phil

If we have the money to spend then by all means we can bring in players to improve the team. Otherwise it's a case of picking up some bargains or stop gap players to help our small (fewest players used in the PL so far this year) squad.

Cover (or a replcaemnet..?) at right back is no doubt a priority. Our long term goal must surely be to acquire a good defensive minded midfield player who can play a bit as well. If the right player isn't out there then there's certainly no point in bringing any old fringe player in to the team when a fully fit Reid will be like a new signing. I'd love to think having Reid's presence in midfield would allow Dunn time and space to dictate the game. We'll only find out by having them in the team together for a run of games.

Don't worry folks, Hughes is aware he has to replace Tugay eventually. He also said he is irreplaceable, but when he finds the player he wants, I am sure the board will back him.

Also, a young right back is on the agenda, but again it is a case of finding the right one, at the right price!

A point no doubt being made in most of the Champions league 'hopefuls' boardrooms as we speak Ricky. I suppose LUFC are currently proving that there is indeed life (of sorts) after death.

So suppose that we invade the elite CL clubs at the expense I guess of Liverpool / Chelsea (whose squads depth btw are currently miles in front of ours). What then? A few qualifying matches before we get ignominiously dumped into the potless UEFA where we continue to struggle to fight on 4 fronts with a minimal.... but disgruntled and by this time prohibitively expensive in remuneration terms.... squad and end up in a relegation scrap?

Just who with enough gumption to make billions would buy into that? How about writing to Paris Hiltons grandad? He's looking to offload 97% of his wealth before he dies to any just and worthy cause...... except his granddaughter's that is. :rolleyes:

While certainly anything can happen, I still see the CL as the only way to truly progress. Why? Because it will open doors we would have never imagined. A Premiership club in the CL would be able to attract pretty much any name on the planet. (though we should still spend reasonably and on the right players). On top of that, we'll actually have a chance of keeping our best players. A CL place is far from a guarantee for success, but I see it as the only way to give ourselves a chance for going forward. I fail to see how else we can achieve this?

Archived