BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Likely Transfer Window Targets

I really don't get it. I really just don't see this Benni sulking down the tunnel, never running or anything like that. I don't get it. Yes, I'm never there, so maybe the cameras choose to ignore this fact every game. Certainly he was very poor for the period before he was dropped, and there has been a slight drop off in the past few games, but he's certainly been no worse than the majority of the other players. This just seems to be a popular opinion ever since the Newcastle game. People seem to want to pick up on anything they can so that they can hate the man more. We don't even know exactly what happened there. It just seems odd to me that people really want to turn on, hate and sell one of the best players we have ever had.

I think you say players play poorly when they play poorly, but it is unfair what is happening to the guy at the moment. The entire team, except for RSC and maybe Friedel, were shocking, why is Benni on the recieving end of it?

If you'd been at the game on Tues (which I accept that living abroad you couldn't be) you'd have heard McCarthy being welcomed on to the pitch by fans chanting his name. We knew there'd be chances for him and so desperately wanted him to score. Instead, he produced his usual fancy dan tricks when all that was needed was some solid effort and the chances would have appeared for him. He could have cut out the ball that led to their goal and just doesn't look like a team player. It's alright not being a team player if you're in form and it's all going well with the team, then you can try individual skills out, but when you're struggling and the team's struggling and you really need to score and the rest of the team need a lift and to see you prepared to work as hard as they've beeen working to get the game back from an excellent Arsenal team, then the tricks cut no ice with fans. It's not that the fans get on his back just for the sake of it. They see a big player like Santa Cruz working his socks off for the team and for his own personal pride and they see McCarthy trying to showboat all the time and they know which we need at the moment.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to MH on Radio Lancs today there will be very little movement in January.

He doesn't have a lot of money to play with.

"It makes us a better club as I have to work with our present staff and make them better players" or words to that effect.

According to MH on Radio Lancs today there will be very little movement in January.

"It makes us a better club as I have to work with our present staff and make them better players" or words to that effect.

i.e we have no money so don't expect much.

Maybe we can get a couple of loan players in. Or someone from the Championship.

So we have to be very realistic here then dont we with transfer targets. It has to be one of our "stars" out for another star to come in. However, i personally think we could get rid of Pedersen (i like him but i think teams have found him out now and he is so low on confidence. His lack of pace is a problem), Roberts (only because he wants to leave, i like him), Mokoena (Crap), Savage (had his day now i think, these type of players are no longer needed) and even Benni (is his heart in it anymore?)

I would replace them with Matt Taylor, Huddlestone and Afonso Alves. I think the monies in from the above would cover the ins and they are realistic.

Matt Taylor (26)- English, hard working, battler, good at set pieces, good passer, comfortable on the ball, good engine - forward thinking player but can also play left back. Price - £5-6m

Huddlestone (20) - play maker, strong, English, battler, good passer, comfortable on the ball, good engine - forward thinking player - rumoured to be on the transfer list. Sparky could turn him into an awesome player. Price - £5m

Alves (26) - Goal Machine really, scored everywhere he has been and from what i have seen he looks a very decent player. Price £7m.

Just my thougts - i think Anelka is top of the list but a bigger club will get him.

I would forget about Anelka- of course we would be enquiring but in reality it was a nicko idea it might be serious. That said, I think all of Man City, Chelsea and Man U being interested is bound to be Anelka agent talk but they have been brilliant at engineering moves throughout Anelka's career.

Hughes is fiercely ambitious and if the current slump isn't sorted by the time we have played Sunderland, he will want to be ruthless irrespective of the "no cash, we have got to stick together" stuff put out in the media.

We probably have little cash but I am convinced Rovers do have "rainy day" money put to one side. Lets hope our form isn't so bad its raining when January comes round.

I seriously hope we don't get that Bulgarian by the way.

So we have to be very realistic here then dont we with transfer targets. It has to be one of our "stars" out for another star to come in. However, i personally think we could get rid of Pedersen (i like him but i think teams have found him out now and he is so low on confidence. His lack of pace is a problem), Roberts (only because he wants to leave, i like him), Mokoena (Crap), Savage (had his day now i think, these type of players are no longer needed) and even Benni (is his heart in it anymore?)

I would replace them with Matt Taylor, Huddlestone and Afonso Alves. I think the monies in from the above would cover the ins and they are realistic.

Matt Taylor (26)- English, hard working, battler, good at set pieces, good passer, comfortable on the ball, good engine - forward thinking player but can also play left back. Price - £5-6m

Huddlestone (20) - play maker, strong, English, battler, good passer, comfortable on the ball, good engine - forward thinking player - rumoured to be on the transfer list. Sparky could turn him into an awesome player. Price - £5m

Alves (26) - Goal Machine really, scored everywhere he has been and from what i have seen he looks a very decent player. Price £7m.

Just my thougts - i think Anelka is top of the list but a bigger club will get him.

absolutely no way we would get afonso alves. theres plenty of big clubs with their eyes on him and i think he'd go for more than 7 million. and also that situation just isnt that simple, for that to happen we need buyers for all those players who would match our valuations and who the players would want to go to. next we'd need to have our bids accepted and the players wanting to come to us over whichever rival bidders there are.

We could get Alves and the fee being discussed this summer was around 7-8, so I'd imagine that is what he'd go for. You have to remember that we would offer him much more money than he is getting in Holland right now, so unless a very big team came in we'd have a good chance. Don't think it will happen, but it could.

One team that Rovers should have a look at is Valencia.

Koeman is going to make several changes in the squad and Albelda, Canizares, Zigic and Manuel Fernandes might be on their way out.

Their price might be lower than their market value and there is also the possibility of getting them on loan.

So, what do you think of selling some of this group:

- Mokoena

- OOijer

- Berner

- jason Roberts

And trying to get:

-Albelda

-Manuel Fernandes

- Zigic

New players won't change much. We have a decent squad its just a matter of getting them to play like a team. Two months ago most of the people on here where very happy with our team. "the best since 94/95..." etc...

In my opinion we need to fix our problems on the training ground and not in the transfer market.

Sad to hear in a way but not entirely unexpected.Hughes deserves to be supported in the transfer market and some,we all know this side needs strengthening to move forward. <_<

We will continue like a dog chasing its tail in the money stakes for good players until,finally,the Walkers sell up for good... it appears the purse strings have well and truly been closed untill that day comes.

Sad to hear in a way but not entirely unexpected.Hughes deserves to be supported in the transfer market and some,we all know this side needs strengthening to move forward. <_<

We will continue like a dog chasing its tail in the money stakes for good players until,finally,the Walkers sell up for good... it appears the purse strings have well and truly been closed untill that day comes.

Or they're boxing clever. If we go in for a player we won't get held to ransom.

We've not spent a lot of money recently and I wouldn't be surprised if we had a war chest that is getting larger and larger. Maybe there's the view that money spent in dribs and drabs here and there won't push us on, but if we spend BIG one summer that could push us up into the top 4?

One team that Rovers should have a look at is Valencia.

Koeman is going to make several changes in the squad and Albelda, Canizares, Zigic and Manuel Fernandes might be on their way out.

Their price might be lower than their market value and there is also the possibility of getting them on loan.

So, what do you think of selling some of this group:

- Mokoena

- OOijer

- Berner

- jason Roberts

And trying to get:

-Albelda

-Manuel Fernandes

- Zigic

It'll be interesting to see what happens at Valencia, but I have a feeling that all three will have wage demands far in excess of what Hughesy and the board will be willing to shed out.

Albelda is quality from what I've seen. He'd be exactly the kind of holding midfielder we'd want. But I'm not as convinced he's leaving as Oklahoma is, as he is (IIRC anyway) the Valencia captain. Both the fee, the salary and the competition could put us off as well.

Albelda is quality from what I've seen. He'd be exactly the kind of holding midfielder we'd want. But I'm not as convinced he's leaving as Oklahoma is, as he is (IIRC anyway) the Valencia captain. Both the fee, the salary and the competition could put us off as well.

I think it mentioned on SSN that Everton were interested in Albelda.

Quality player however will cost a fortune.

From skysports.com, Mark Hughes talking about the transfer window.

If needed, Hughes can always boost the numbers in his squad by recalling a number of fringe players who are currently out on loan.

"It is something I will be looking at," he said.

"If we are sending young players out on loan, we want them to play, so if they are not getting as many games as I feel they need, they are better off coming back.

"I would say a number of them will come back and hopefully we will get the benefit of that."

Who do you think he's talking about? Gallagher, Andy Taylor, Bryan Hodge and Eddie Nolan are the current outfield players on loan, as I doubt we're recalling Frank Fielding to replace Brad. And is he talking about actually playing them, or recalling them to make up the numbers?

Would be nice if we could sell the wantaway players (Mainly Mokoena and Roberts of course, although I'd be happy if Roberts changed his mind) and have readymade replacements in our youngsters, allowing us to spend the money on someone who can really improve the side rather than "just" on replacements. I guess that's just wishful thinking however.

Can someone please explain to me how much extra Sky money we recieved this season and why we have no money to spend now?

The extra Sky money boosted turnover by 10m.

We returned 1m to the fans in reduced admission prices and presumably will have paid the first installment on RSC's fee. About 800k - 1m?

We have also improved one or two players contracts.

After that it's anyone's guess.

Archived