BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Likely Transfer Window Targets

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nelsen and Samba were outstanding for us at the start of the season and I remember people talking about how much we could demand for Samba when Arsenal or United came calling. They are certainly going through a tough patch at the moment, but they have shown how well they can play together and like some of our other players at the moment don't have much confidence. If they were to be replace however, I would like to see Zurab promoted because he is a reliable defender who has had to wait in the wings this season. Two centre midfielders would be welcome. Steven Reid is obviously just getting back to fitness at the moment and needs games if he is to get back to the level he was at two seasons ago. Savages best days seem to be behind him and Tugay although still class, can't last the pace. Two quality signings in this position would really see an improvement in our performances and results.

Nelsen and Samba were outstanding for us at the start of the season and I remember people talking about how much we could demand for Samba when Arsenal or United came calling. They are certainly going through a tough patch at the moment, but they have shown how well they can play together and like some of our other players at the moment don't have much confidence. If they were to be replace however, I would like to see Zurab promoted because he is a reliable defender who has had to wait in the wings this season. Two centre midfielders would be welcome. Steven Reid is obviously just getting back to fitness at the moment and needs games if he is to get back to the level he was at two seasons ago. Savages best days seem to be behind him and Tugay although still class, can't last the pace. Two quality signings in this position would really see an improvement in our performances and results.

Was it just me? I thought Samba looked every inch his old self against Man City. Nelsen was better but still looks a bit slow.

Nope, it wasn't just you Joey. Despite the 2 against (one an OG), thought central defence - and Berner at LB - were fine last night. Big problem was Petrov's a flyer and as soon as Khiz was a couple of yards away from him, maybe venturing forward to try and give a bit of support to Emerton at RM, City would just play it wide to Petrov. He'd play a 1 -2 with whoever was a bit more central and he was away. Second half we moved Emerton back (bit quicker, but I'd still back Petrov) and Samba seemed to have the job of getting across to deal with Petrov if he got past Emo.

Result was Petrov was snubbed out. Lesson - don't play Khiz at RB against anyone remotely quick. City should have had 3 via Petrov by half time.

Samba needs telling that he's a DEFENDER, and stop trying to run with the ball every chance he gets. He also tries some questionable risky interceptions when falling back would've been a better option; yesterday they for the most part worked, and as such he had a good game. When they don't he looks really bad. Which is something we have to get used to really, and just hope he can do what he did for the early part of the season and succeed with most of them.

Samba did look absolutely shattered towards the end of the game though, or was it just me who thought that? Obviously understandable, but he has looked a bit worn out in recent weeks as well, which I'd imagine contributed to some poor performances. His style of play relies quite a lot on strength and pace, so not being fully fit can have a signficant effect. Quite the opposite to someone like Blanc.

But yeah, right back and central midfielder please.

I've got a theory why we've gone rubbish. Hughes has demanded his players start playing like they're drunk - just before the January transfer window. When the window closes - and no-one has even made an offer for our jokers - they come good again - and we finish 6th.

It's all a big plan to stop anyone trying to sign our stars in January - obvious really :D

aaah! zing!

Hughes talking to the LT about this January's transfer market.

- None of the triallists have impressed

- There is nobody of Benni's quality available out there at affordable prices

- He will consider selling and buying

- Bottom line is don't expect much activity this January

Given in player numerical terms, Rovers were the most active Premiership club last January, let's see what happens. My gut feeling is that Hughes had tarhets lined up but they are not coming available.

The Rovers boss hinted he may have to sell first if he decides to bring new players in.

"I usually only work in the January transfer market if I feel I can bring people in that will improve us," he said.

"It's very difficult to do that in January, and more often than not I do most of my work in the transfer market at the end of the season, leading into the next season.

"We'll see what's available and see what happens, but I haven't got a great deal of finance. Everybody knows that's the situation here."

Hughes talking to the LT about this January's transfer market.

- None of the triallists have impressed

- There is nobody of Benni's quality available out there at affordable prices

- He will consider selling and buying

- Bottom line is don't expect much activity this January

Given in player numerical terms, Rovers were the most active Premiership club last January, let's see what happens. My gut feeling is that Hughes had tarhets lined up but they are not coming available.

My guess would be that Roberts, McCarthy, Pedersen and Savage are all available for transfers out if the right money is available and replacements identified. Still don't accept that we have no money if those players don't leave. There has to be 5 million lying about if required before outgoings. If not in the long term we are screwed as we have spent very little and there has been a massive influx of cash. Even Bolton could outlay 10 million on Anelka last season.

My bet is that two of those four will leave. If I could choose it would be Savage and Roberts for a combined amount of 4 million plus but that might be wishful thinking. Even better would be if McCarthy gets back his confidence and desire. His performance against City suggests that could happen, but then he has been up and down all season.

This Guardian article seems to be the best researched and least hyped of the surveys of Prem club intentions/wishes this January.

What is striking

- several of the players mentioned as targets have had their clubs say they are not moving this January. Yes players can force a move in January but it is usually a hugely distracting month long fight.

- not even a suggestion Spurs would consider selling Huddlestone even if Diarra arrives

- apart from Diarra and Anelka, there are precious few names on the lists who would unambiguously strengthen the Rovers. Not many "Oh I wish we were in for him" there.

The Rovers boss hinted he may have to sell first if he decides to bring new players in.

"I usually only work in the January transfer market if I feel I can bring people in that will improve us," he said.

"It's very difficult to do that in January, and more often than not I do most of my work in the transfer market at the end of the season, leading into the next season.

"We'll see what's available and see what happens, but I haven't got a great deal of finance. Everybody knows that's the situation here."

That statement just goes to show how desperate we are for new investement imo

Mark has been given nothing to spend since the begining of his tenure. All of the fees he has spent has been raised by the selling of players i cannot think of any clubs in the premiership that havent given there manager the situation where he has to sell to buy for 3 consecuative seasons.

Okay if the Walkers dont want to give the club anymore of their 700 million fortune, then why dont lower their asking price to make the deal look more attractive to any prospective buyer

It is clear we will loose our manager soon if he is not backed in the transfer market, he is not a miracle worker and cannot provide the club with top half finishes with a transfer budget lower than some clubs a divsion below.

Okay if the Walkers dont want to give the club anymore of their 700 million fortune, then why dont lower their asking price to make the deal look more attractive to any prospective buyer

That statement should be borne in mind when anybody reads any of your posts. Untrue, misinformed and misguided.

why not get alfonso alves

say if we sell roberts and savo we could get up to 3.5m

if benni were to want to leave we could do a swap Benni + 3m for alfonso alves who scored 34 goals in 31 games for herenveen last season

what makes this even better is that he is goin on transfer list because herenveen cannot agree on anything in terms of a new contract.

BTW- he has only played one game for herenveen this year (in which he scored 7 goals)

i would hav thought benni would be happy to go to Herenveen becoz they are regular uefa cup and champions league competitors and play in the dutch league.

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/style_emoticons/default/rover.gif

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/style_emoticons/default/rover.gif

That statement should be borne in mind when anybody reads any of your posts. Untrue, misinformed and misguided.

Which part don’t you like Pip? You’re constant baiting of my posts is rather tedious, indeed it seems you way to much time on your hands; thus you are constantly self-policing people’s posts.

I believe that the current lack of interest and funding from the trust we will loose us our manager as he is obviously getting fed-up with the lack of backing. If that’s a situation you are happy with, then you are a fool. Without a workable transfer budget this club will decline; fast. And before you say anything I am aware that the trust pumps anywhere between 6-9 million per year into the club. However with the dramatic rise of TV money the clubs finances should become healthier than they have done for a long time ; it may even become a profitable opertion if tv revunue continues to increase and mr williams keeps the wage budget down

Rather than be childish just say why you don’t like me? Ill be honest im not much for your opinions or you’re posting style.

As ive said before until you can prove that you have information regarding the intricacies of Rovers dealings, then your opinion is no more informed than anyone else’s.

Archived