BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes For England

Its debatable whether this deserves a new thread but I think as it is very much a concern for Rovers fans it probably deserves to be seperated from the vitriol attached to McClaren.

The list of candidates for the England job is very short. Shorter even than when Eriksson left. Effectively I think England are left with a straight choice between O'Neill, Redknapp and Mourinho. Allerdyce and Curbishley are both good managers but have failed to make real strides with the resources available at Newcastle and West Ham. Shearer is devoid of experience. Wenger won't go for it. Ferguson won't. Hiddink and Scolari are taken. Lippi and Capello just don't seem like the sort the FA will fancy.

I think its highly likely Redknapp will be discounted due to his dodgy outspoken nature and mediocre career record. Mourinho's aggression on the other hand can be balanced against an outstanding record and ability to get the best out of under performers. O'Neill will be approached but could not fancy it as he is getting into the swing of things at Villa and might not want to work for people who have already rejected him once.

So, for me, the obvious candidate outside that lot is Hughes. International experience, commands respect, gets the best out of average and talented players alike, handles the media very well. Obviously I am biased a bit as he is our manager but really we are in a positon where anyone who gives it a modicum of thought will realise he is in the same sort of ability bracket as O'Neill, and got better qualities than Redknapp.

If Mourinho doesn't want it then I think Hughes, if interested, will at least get an interview...

I can't see Hughes wanting to step back into the international fold anyway. I think he thrives on the day to day activities of being around a club and working the fine details with players. We also have seen evidence ourselves that he is also still learning. However the one touch stuff we are playing right now was something, I thought while watching the game, that England should be doing.

Hughes would be brilliant for England but luckily for us there are 2 BIG problems:

1. Would he want it? at the moment he's enjoying club football and is seemingly the next man for Manure, therefore surely he could only go downhill.

2. The FA cant see a good manager when they see one and listen to the press too much i.e. Lets have an english manager so they choose between Mclown and Dodgy Sam.

There is one big reason why Hughes wont be the next England Manager.

He's a very passionate Welshman.

spot on, plus there is no chance the fa would appoint a welsh man and vice versa if the situation arouse at wales.

my money is on jose, house in london, reunited with his chelsea bum chums and he could do great things for england.

spot on, plus there is no chance the fa would appoint a welsh man and vice versa if the situation arouse at wales.

my money is on jose, house in london, reunited with his chelsea bum chums and he could do great things for england.

Mike Smith - Bobby Gould :blush:

There is one big reason why Hughes wont be the next England Manager.

The reason being that 15th, 6th and 10th place finishes in the league (plus a couple of semi-final appearances) and one failed international tournament qualifying event aren't good enough to be England manager?

Even if Hughes was English I doubt he'd get the job. He has massive potential as a manager, no doubt about it, but there has been little-to-nothing achieved as yet.

Two of the ten the BBC are suggesting have strong Rovers connections- one made his name as an all time great on the pitch, the other as an exceptional Manager.

It really depends how poisoned a challice the England job is. The FA completely ballsed up its handling of Big Phil last time so if they get rapidly down to 5th choice then Hughes is very much in line.

In terms of domino risk from someone else's Manager getting appointed, there is perhaps too much previous for Arsene to come calling in the unlikely event of Arsenal getting the England job (Hughes managing Fabregas and van Persie?)

Villa under Lerner might be disturbingly similar to Rovers but with bigger crowds and budgets so I would be concerned if O'Neill gets the gig.

Realistically, Pompey are the only other Prem club which might be raided and I just don't think Hughes fits at Fratton- pure prejudice but there you go.

None of the other Big 4 are remotely likely to get the FA call although it would be fun seeing Rafa select all 150 eligible Premiership Englishmen in random combinations during the course of a 12 or 14 match World Cup qualification campaign.

Personally I think (and this illustrates the sorry state of English international football) Hughes is too young and will not take on a no win situation that will jeapordise his chances of managing a top Prem outfit. Also as with Martin O'Neil he is not english. The man that fits the bill most imo is Steve Coppull. Good manager, intelligent and deep thinking, diplomatic, nearing the end of his career and commands lots of respect within the game.

Coppell has apparently ruled himself out of the running. (As has Allardyce)

Not sure I agree that the England job is a no win situation. It's one of the biggest jobs in world football and anyone enjoying a degree of genuine success in the job will be practically able to name their price in any club job. In the (hopefully unlikely) event England came calling it would be like expecting Sparky to turn down ManUre.

Interestingly Talksport's German correspondent, Rafi Honigstein (spelling?) said today that Jurgen Klinsmann was practically sat at home in Florida by the phone waiting for the call.................

Imagine that, a Geeeeerman in charge of England! :blink:

The main problem with that apparently would be the fact that his would be staff are all currently employed by the German FA.

He's currently at odds of 40/1 to be the next England manager, the same odds as Wenger, Hoddle & Pardew.

Well he's just signed an extension to his Rovers contract so that presumably means he's not interested or that Rovers have just massively increased the compensation.

Well he's just signed an extension to his Rovers contract so that presumably means he's not interested or that Rovers have just massively increased the compensation.

Interestingly enough, and surprisingly to me, he has not ruled himself out of contention, quite the opposite he has stated he would like to return to the International scene, albeit when he's "older and greyer"

Coppell has apparently ruled himself out of the running. (As has Allardyce)

Coppell on SSN ruled himself out because of the intrusion in the personal lives of the England managers, the constant scrutiny by the disgraceful element that erroneously call themselves journalists. (No nicko not you).

Who could blame him, was that the reason offered up by Scholari too.

Archived