BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth V. Blackburn

Mike Riley was really bad- just about the only correct call by the commentator and summariser was the constant criticism of Riley for failing to allow clear advantages, ridiculous repeated awards of fouls then suddenly letting things go when the side fouled suffered through it. There were three offsides given against Pompey which weren't but the way they were shooting, the ball would have been fished out of Portsmouth Water anyway.

Really impressed by Rovers today.

Critically important is that Samba and Nelsen are (were perhaps in case of Chris after being slid into by clumsy Krancjar) physically fully fit and are again looking to be a mighty defensive unit. Nelsen again had the freedom to get forwards into very dangerous positions in open play and could so easily have bagged a brace.

Almost as important is that we now have Vogel who is a natural play-making defensive midfielder which is not a contradiction in terms. Plus the revelation that is Emerton playing alongside Vogel.

At last we have a solid platform in either 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 that also launches forward momentum constructively with a decent chance of keeping posession and stifling counter-attacks if we lose it. That has been missing since the end of last September through injuries, loss of form, old age and Waiting for Vogo.

I thought Warnock had one of his best games yet for Rovers- Pompey are a big fast outfit of uncompromising power and Steve handled the pressure brilliantly. MGP continues to frustrate- if only he'd concentrate. He is a tremendous talent but does he really need to take his inspiration from my footballing ability? Nobody would pay to watch me take the ball into touch repeatedly because I need more space to turn, allow it to roll under my boot, pass to the opponent whilst I dummied myself etc etc so why does MGP think that's what Rovers fans want to watch him doing?

Reid isn't a right back and hopefully Ooijer will take over that role now we have played two teams where Steven's pace was badly needed.

Apart from that everyone was brilliant. Tactically it is marvelous having the 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 option. We stifled them with the first formation in the first half and killed them with the second in the second.

And how cool was Brad in drawing the Pompey forwards before the back heel shuffle and passing it out to Warnock? Never an anxious moment B):wacko:

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
QUOTE(Lurid Coat @ Apr 27 2008, 13:41 )

Fun/pointless fact: If James had been on the pitch instead of Ashdown, Portsmouth's entire starting XI had been black.

It's a sign of the times my friend. I daresay that it's going to be a regular occurence in the years ahead, so we have to get used to it.

Were you at Wembley booing Viv Anderson when he made his England debut ?

Well I thought we played well today. Reid again was the weak link and I think Pompy knew that. Every time they went down his side I got worried. MGP has his moments but played well IMO. Cruz again was class and his partnership with Roberts was impressive.

Over all very pleased with our perfomace today and wished we had played like this all season. Hopfully well finsh the season strong and then carry it over to the next season. UP ROVERS!

Looking at their prices I am not surprised. Their season ticket prices are between £925 and £600, Junior prices between £415 and £190, they have grandiose ideas of building a state of the art training ground to say nothing of the new stadium and wasn't it rumoured recently that their owner wanted to sell? Their current crop of players will be well on the way to their sell-buy date before long warranting new investment. Having said that, they have a large catchment area with virtually no competition and I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few of their fans come from surrounding districts other than Portsea Island.

The new stadium talk has been going on for so long that the one they've got will probably have fallen down by the time something happens. Wait......

Only good thing about their prices is that men and women - take note, Rovers are counted as Seniors at the age of 60.

Yes, i think they've gone as far as they can go, maybe a new stadium might pull in people who want to see Pompey but the ownwer is only their for a return on his money so things dont look too good long term on the south coast.

If they dont get a move on pretty quickly with the new ground i think they will start to go backwards pretty soonish.

Yes, i think they've gone as far as they can go, maybe a new stadium might pull in people who want to see Pompey but the ownwer is only their for a return on his money so things dont look too good long term on the south coast.

If they dont get a move on pretty quickly with the new ground i think they will start to go backwards pretty soonish.

Revised your opinion of Vogel yet JAL? I think he is looking pretty decent for someone who is free...

Just noticed JAL's comments re Pompey. Gaydarmuk is one of the new owners who is not there purely for a return on his money.

The new stadium is pretty certain to be a reality within the next five years and if its building costs don't coincide with the money for the team being constricted (a lot of players are going to get too old together in that Pompey squad), the future looks to be very bright for the odds on FA Cup favourites.

How bloody quick is Glenn Johnson? I know Warnock's no slouch but he left him for dead towards the end of the match.

I only got to watch the second half (not a bad thing by the sounds of it) but I thought Pompey created enough chances for a draw (that chance that went right across the goal and then back again still has me wondering how they missed it) but really didnt make Friedal pull off any outstanding saves. Although I really wish keepers wouldnt try and play football, there's a reason they're between the sticks and not running around up field, and Brad proved it yesterday.

Just re-watched the highlights on Sky.

I have to say I like the flexibility we have when we start with 451 - especially with that set of players.

Reid was poor. I am hoping a good and thorough pre-season sorts him out.

Roberts and Roque were a handful. Roberts' problem will be a poor goal:game ratio. That will get a few peoples' back up. I don't feel he gets the credit he deserves. He's similar to Heskey (don't cry or laugh) - view his overall contribution is very good and worthy of a starting position at the moment. I think the players appreciate his role.

Vogel getting better. Emerton proving he can play in central midfield - He's an excellent ball carrier. Bentley looks unhappy or fed up or bored.

All in all a good win - just too late.

I was very pleased with the result yesterday.

I'm in favour of using the 4-5-1 and I'm also pleased that we've become a side under Hughes that has the flexibility to switch if a particular formation isn't working. A lot of credit also has to go to players for being able to be so versatile and able to cover many positions.

I thought that MGP had one of his better games, his running into the box at the far/near posts causing mayhem was pleasing to see as we all know what he can do if he gets a decent opportunity. He's also very underrated in the air that boy.

I do get a little bit nervous with Emerton in the centre, I think that he panics a little when given the ball and under a bit of pressure. In contrast to Vogel, who I was very impressed with seems to be like another Tugay in his ability to create time and space when he's on the ball and always find a man.

Roberts was good yesterday, he works ever so hard for the team and I thought that he was very unlucky with the ref and decisions going against him. I can see why he must get a bit worked up when you're getting lumps kicked out of you with the ref doing you no favours either.

When we went to 4-4-2 it also made me think that due to the 4-5-1 starting eleven put out initially, it makes us a very solid defensive/counter unit. If you think about it, we had our back 4, which didn't change, but across the midfield we had MGP and Bentley on the wings and Vogel and Emerton, both as DM's screening the back 4. Up top we have two powerful forwards and with Santa Cruz's liking to playing slightly deeper than normal and Roberts playing as high up as we can, it creates a little bit of space for Roque. I think maybe in the future it might be an idea to switch Reid and Emerton around (when we go to 4-4-2) since I think Reid's ability to keep the ball is better than Emerton. Emerton also provides better support for Bentley to do his stuff.

I do get a little bit nervous with Emerton in the centre, I think that he panics a little when given the ball and under a bit of pressure. In contrast to Vogel, who I was very impressed with seems to be like another Tugay in his ability to create time and space when he's on the ball and always find a man.

Roberts was good yesterday, he works ever so hard for the team and I thought that he was very unlucky with the ref and decisions going against him. I can see why he must get a bit worked up when you're getting lumps kicked out of you with the ref doing you no favours either.

I agree about Emerton. He puts his head down too much to distribuite the ball properly, although on the counter attack his pace and drive can be very effective from the centre. Having two who can cover the buckets of ground in Vogel and Emerton is an amazing shield for the defence.

I guess if we signed someone like Huddlestone he would slot in where Emerton is and the Aussie would go to right back again.

And yes, Roberts is outstanding in that lone role. He might lack the consistency of touch (sometime it is awful, sometime it is very good like for the goal) but really despite being only one man he makes both centre backs work so hard. Benni and Derbs certainly can't do that, I doubt Cruz can either. The amount of space he creates for others is massive. Pompey were very lucky they had an extraordinarily quick centreback in Distin otherwise they could have suffered much more.

Good result for us and well deserved.

Vogel looked a good player in the holding role and could well be a good acquisition. Samba and Nelsen were both excellent and Emerton was a revelation in the centre of midfield.

I know Reid was playing out of position and is not long back from a long lay off but to me the only thing he excels in is being average.

Bentley looks unhappy or fed up or bored.

Agreed, and we've seen far too many performances like that from him this season imo.

I hope he'll still be with us next season, new deal in the bag, and finally able to fully focus on these mundane little games involving Blackburn Rovers not affecting the title race.

Not personally optimisistic on that count really though.

Overall though I think the last two performances have been very good. It's just a real shame over the season we allowed ourselves to slip from a position of strength into a position whereby any good efforts now are all for nothing.

The new formation worked well once again for a smash and grab style victory away from home but I still wouldn't like to see us use it all the time.

The new formation worked well once again for a smash and grab style victory away from home but I still wouldn't like to see us use it all the time.

I wouldn't mind it at all. I think it suits our players pretty well. Mind you I've never been a critic of 4-5-1 like many, mainly because so many top teams play that system.

Roberts and Roque were a handful. Roberts' problem will be a poor goal:game ratio. That will get a few peoples' back up. I don't feel he gets the credit he deserves. He's similar to Heskey (don't cry or laugh) - view his overall contribution is very good and worthy of a starting position at the moment. I think the players appreciate his role.

Nothing at all wrong with that imo..... and certainly not after watching a season of Shefki Kuqi. :rover:

Revised your opinion of Vogel yet JAL? I think he is looking pretty decent for someone who is free...

He's silent when his hate figure is doing well, and comes out whenever he makes a mistake. I recognise this 'cos of MGP..................!! Who has been playing better recently.

Whilst Emerton's can be a abit dodgy on the ball, there is nobody worse on the ball that Nelsen. That guy makes me cringe when under pressure and he is passed the ball.

Reid is playing out of position dont forget, he is a driving midfielder, not a defensive full back. In his own position we will see him back to his best in time. Next season looks promising if we can add 2 or 3 new quality players and hopefully add abit more pace.

Hes not done too badly as he, didnt see the whole game just the second half were i thought every Rovers player seemed to do something very good but then contrary to this they seemed to do something poorly like giving the ball away letting it go out of play etc., great result though.

Just noticed JAL's comments re Pompey. Gaydarmuk is one of the new owners who is not there purely for a return on his money.

The new stadium is pretty certain to be a reality within the next five years and if its building costs don't coincide with the money for the team being constricted (a lot of players are going to get too old together in that Pompey squad), the future looks to be very bright for the odds on FA Cup favourites.

So whats he in it for ...British citizenship?

How long would it be before he can realistically acheive this status, any chance before he builds (5 years) the new ground ?

Has anyone noticed that we quite often in games we make a pretty dangerous back pass to Brad that requires brad to really stretch or run after the ball and puts him under pressure?

Seen it plenty of times this season...

Maybe cos he is so reluctant to leave his 6yd box it takes him a few split seconds longer to decide the odds before he sets off.

Not a game..I thought most players played well except Warnock...He constanly gave the ball away or had it taken off him...But it is three points and we go above City..

4 points gleaned from MU home and Pompey away, 3 more points than last seasons total with 2 matches still to play and still some of out members feel fit to whinge about it! What more do Hughes and his team have to do to satisfy some people? :angry:

And with Sparky having to find bargain buys that for the princely sum of around £3m will net over twenty goals. As Jack Straw said this morning on Talksport, the total value of our entire squad equates to 'Ronaldo's left leg'.

Some of the posters on here should be ashamed of themselves, criticizing a man who delivers league success despite dwindling income from a half empty ground.

Enjoy it while you can, Hughes, Roque, Brad won't be around for ever.

Westwood is a complete and utter prat. I shared a drink with him last season and froma friend of his discovered that although he is despised by a lot of fans he is actually despised because of the money he managed to get lucky with.

Apparently he found a very very old book through his ex employment as a book restorer and managed to sell it for a few thousand pounds, in fact a very very good few thousands of pounds. When he got interviewed about it he said he would put money into a charity but didnt and went back on his word. Thats why he is despised.

I was delighted with yesterday's result. I didn't see the game but have read the match reports and saw some highlights. It appears that it was a bit of a smash and grab result which is fine by me. You need those sort of results most of the time that you go away from home. Again it shows how we can compete with the teams around us and win these sort of games. With more quality added to the squad, our better players staying and more consistency in our performances and results, then there is no reason why we couldn't be like Everton, sitting in 5th and knocking on the Champions League door.

Archived