BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keith Andrews

Hopefully he'll get another chance in the Championship. We shouldn't be signing some Chilean hotshot with one hand and Joey Jo-Jo Junior Shabadoo from League One with the other

Now he sounds like a player.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You mean like Bayern did with Santa Cruz? OK, that's a little wayward in comparison, but the principle of players improving their game or form is my point.

You had to make a wayward comparison because there are no straight comparisons of a 27 year old making the leap from League Two to the Premier League for £1.5 million. The example of Santa Cruz can't be applied to Andrews for many, many reasons.

You mean like Bayern did with Santa Cruz? OK, that's a little wayward in comparison, but the principle of players improving their game or form is my point.

Name me one player who at the age of 27 suddenly improves their game this much and has successfully made such a big step up. Just one will do...

I'm not saying I'm a fan of Andrews, but you can't suggest that a player from League 2 can't improve his game simply because he's been a little-known talent for his previous playing years.

I'm not saying he can't improve his game...I am saying it's incredibly unlikely he can improve to anywhere near Premiership standard after a decade of trying and getting nowhere near (in fact, his career has been moving backwards ever since it started).

The gulf between the Championship and the Premiership is bad enough, just look at how the promoted teams and players struggle, so I'm now sure why anyone would expect Andrews to be able to make the jump from League Two (I think some of us might be forgetting how poor that league is).

If we were getting him for £200k or something then I wouldn't be bothered about it, not much to lose there really...but anything more than that is insanity, never mind fees approaching £1.5 million.

Brad Friedel (27+).

Would you like to alter your question? ;)

Oh come on. You can't seriously suggest making the 'leap' from squad-player at Liverpool to where he is now is anywhere near making the leap from League Two to the Premiership?

Name me one player who at the age of 27 suddenly improves their game this much and has successfully made such a big step up. Just one will do...

Tony Book- signed his first pro contract for Plymouth at the age of 28 ! Moved to Man City at the age of 30 and for about 4 years was in the top 3 right backs in the old first division. Given that this was 35 plus years ago it proves the point that the gulf is vast.

OK, I'm cornered on that question I guess! Maybe the price tag of Andrews is a worry, but that aside, I doubt he'd play a major part in the team, so I wouldn't worry too much. At best, he'll provide cover for midfield when we're running low - I just think that the team won't revolve around Andrews and some people are overreacting on that front!

What concerns me are both the quality of the player and the amount of money Ince appears to think we have to buy new players. Other people have rightly questioned the quality of Andrews. I want to make the point that £1.5 mill, if that is the price, would be a sizeable proportion of MH's last summer's transfer budget-did we make any sizeable purchases other than Santa Cruz?

Why are we actually giving PI a bigger pot of money than our previous manager, who really was astute on the transfer market? Do the Board really expect a manager who has never worked as a manager at this level before and who appears to like DVD'S will be more proficient than MH?

Finally I can comment on this!!

WHY?? even if we play with 3 in the middle surely with the additions of Pineapple and Castillo we have 2 in each position Mokoena/Castillo Reid/Vogel Dunn/Pineapple and of course there's still tugay!

Even at 1.5M I'd rather see it either saved for Jan or spent getting in a top draw RW to replace Bentley. I can but into the whole mole theory I've read on here, but surely a good man manager would not use a spy!

I can only assume that Ince made a promise to Andrews that if he went he would take him with him, but I suspect when he said this to him it was prior to us stepping in for him!

Others have come into the top flight late and done well, Guy Wittingham springs to mind.

I don't believe for a nanosecond that Keith Andrews will be signing for Blackburn Rovers.

Im with you all the way. If we were actually interested he would be at Ewood by now.

I could actually understand the move if we were short in midfield, but seeing as we are pobably going to have too many players in that area rather than too few, signing him seems completely daft.

Seems like rather wishful thinking on the part of Andrews and his agent, and perhaps the product of a loose promise months ago by Ince when he thought he was off to the Chamionship.. It might get MK and the player more cash though from the likes of Watford...

• 2 years later...

Archived