BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

I personally think we'll see a few cameo appearances for Villanueva for a while, the odd 10-20 minutes until he's settled in a bit more.

That's one advantage of having seven subs isn't it. You can have players like Villanueva, that because of their lack of involvement pre-season, probably wouldn't have been involved at all last Sataurday, and possibly wouldn't be involved next Saturday, sitting on the bench, feeling part of the set up and also with a chance of making an appearance.

Hadn't thought of it that way before.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd agree with that, but only to an extent. Fowler, like Derbyshire (and Gally to a point) has a pure and simple natural ability, and this cannot be taught to the likes of you and me (I'm assuming here - For all i know you could be an instinctive finisher, but i'm certainly not ;) )

However, although this cannot be "taught", it can certainly be coached and improved - You can't teach a rugby player gymnastics to a great level, but you can make a good gymnast a better one.

What I think I'm trying to say, and it's nothing new really, is that players can be improved with good coaching, - of course they can. There would be no reason to believe that Fowler would be any better a coach than anyone already at the club though, because the first thing a striker must have is the timing of his runs. He must find space in a crowded area and you can't teach that to anyone. It's pure instinct.

You can coach control, passing, shooting, heading etc, but you can't coach "timing" into anyone. Hence, no need for Fowler.

Now watch rovers offer him a coaching job in 12 months time. :D

That's one advantage of having seven subs isn't it. You can have players like Villanueva, that because of their lack of involvement pre-season, probably wouldn't have been involved at all last Sataurday, and possibly wouldn't be involved next Saturday, sitting on the bench, feeling part of the set up and also with a chance of making an appearance.

Hadn't thought of it that way before.

Think it is a great step forwards. Even Tugs must have been made up for his 5 minutes at the end there.

Big season for Matty IMO.
Absolutely massive - If he doesn't start making the grade and forcing very difficult decisions on the manager, then this could be his last to be honest.

He'll be getting on for 25 without a serious place in a squad, and Rovers fan or not, that'd make me want to look elsewhere.

He's definately lagging behind those two time-wise, but if he could be half the striker they were in their prime then it's a job well done.

Oh, and to stick with my "tutoring" theme, those two had a fair few fantastic strikers who payed a similar game to them to learn the ropes from - Something that Matty hasn't really had yet ;)

:rover: paul ince has expressed a lot off pressmen/reporters have been causing him/the club grief.silly reports about unrest/transfer speculation and still 90% off the board take everything said by our resident reporter as gospel.grow up and see him as a agent provocateur :brfc:

Why is it you can spell 'provocateur' but you can't spell 'of'?

What I think I'm trying to say, and it's nothing new really, is that players can be improved with good coaching, - of course they can. There would be no reason to believe that Fowler would be any better a coach than anyone already at the club though, because the first thing a striker must have is the timing of his runs. He must find space in a crowded area and you can't teach that to anyone. It's pure instinct.

You can coach control, passing, shooting, heading etc, but you can't coach "timing" into anyone. Hence, no need for Fowler.

Now watch rovers offer him a coaching job in 12 months time. :D

Of course you can improve the timing of the runs. There are some very easy aspects to grasp and improve on, such as when to start and which channel to run in when the ball is in a certain area. How to angle the run to avoid offside etc.. Even at the low level I used to play at, these things were coached and improved. I'd imagine at PL, they would be able to coach at a more detailed level.

The whole art of natural finishing is not necessarily such a big mysterium. It's a well known fact that Solskjaer is a product of spending endless hours of his upbringing alone finishing, shooting and scoring. It's not something he was born with but a product of the training he put. It meant that in a game every situation in front of the goal had been practised so many times that body would just react to drill he'd done thousands of times before.

I assume that was because Ooijer is more defensive and against Arteta that was needed.

Agreed on your point Modes, but would add that Ooijer is always worth a place in the back 4 for his experience and sheer ability to read the game. Against a classy player like Arteta this was needed, and if we had put Simpson in against Arteta it could have had a bad effect on his confidence.

Agreed on your point Modes, but would add that Ooijer is always worth a place in the back 4 for his experience and sheer ability to read the game. Against a classy player like Arteta this was needed, and if we had put Simpson in against Arteta it could have had a bad effect on his confidence.

Simpson had a nightmare when he played Everton with United last season. He was subbed after first half.

Totally agree. Ooijer is by far and away our best defender in being able to read a game and position himself accordingly. If Samba and Nelsen are going to start in the middle then I suspect Ooijer is going to be right-back and young Simpson will have to be content with a place on the bench.

Totally agree. Ooijer is by far and away our best defender in being able to read a game and position himself accordingly.

Lacks a bit of mobility though.

Got himself slightly out of position and then was skinned for pace for their second.

He is still better at centre half imo, albeit not as good as Nelsen and Samba at their best.

ANDREWS - The whole situation should become clearer shortly...I suspect he is pushing hard for the move. From his point of view it is a dream chance.

FOWLER - The way the manager is talking him up and putting him in the team pic suggests that is a formality.

GUERET - I think there is something in that too...you have lost one keeper and loaned out another.

GRELLA - Still checking, would imagine he would be watched in the Australia game in midweek. He will also talk up his chances in the next few days too. We shall see.

MCCARTHY - If it gets to £9 million there has to be the chance of a sale.

ROQUE - Daft Man U rumours, but I still think it will be Berbatov who goes to OT.

TARGETS - No feedback from weekend games that were covered...yet.

Flippin' eck nicko - would you like some vinegar with that saurkraut?

Was someone feeling a bit grumpy this morning because Ince got off to a flier and the footballing deity known as Owen Coyle is bombing without trace?

;)

Of course you can improve the timing of the runs. There are some very easy aspects to grasp and improve on, such as when to start and which channel to run in when the ball is in a certain area. How to angle the run to avoid offside etc.. Even at the low level I used to play at, these things were coached and improved. I'd imagine at PL, they would be able to coach at a more detailed level.

It's "vision" isn't it. It's "instinct" - knowing where the team mate is going to put his cross. It's about finding space where others don't. Not everyone has it. Not something you can teach.

Anyway, this is old ground, so I'd better leave it at that. :)

It's "vision" isn't it. It's "instinct" - knowing where the team mate is going to put his cross. It's about finding space where others don't. Not everyone has it. Not something you can teach.

Anyway, this is old ground, so I'd better leave it at that. :)

For the record Den I'm with you here. It's a "mental" skill as opposed to a "physical" skill. You may have the speed to make the run, but if you don't have the vision to see it, everything else is irrelevant.

For a working example see; Emerton, Brett.

Lacks a bit of mobility though.

Got himself slightly out of position and then was skinned for pace for their second.

He is still better at centre half imo, albeit not as good as Nelsen and Samba at their best.

Got to disagree with you there Rev. Yes he's not quick but he reads the game far better than any other defender we've got. Rather like Berg and Moran in the past, he uses his head to see where the danger is developing and positions himself accordingly rather than having to use speed to recover.

However, I think we both agree that the Rovers are fortunate to have three defenders of the quality of Samba, Nelsen and Ooijer, not to mention Zurab. We have a wealth of riches in this department and it is going to be a tough decision for the manager to decide who to leave out. This is the reason why I believe Ooijer will get the nod over Simpson at right-back as his covering ability will be of major benefit to the defence.

If we can somehow just beat Hull (It would have been typical for us to blow it under Souness and Hughes) and we are sat proudly atop the table on saturday evening, I wonder if any potential signings might look at us a tad more favourably?

Was thinking Pennant in particular, but also of any overseas players who don't know the first thing about us, but see us top of the pile, therefore assume we can't be half bad.

Flippin' eck nicko - would you like some vinegar with that saurkraut?

Was someone feeling a bit grumpy this morning because Ince got off to a flier and the footballing deity known as Owen Coyle is bombing without trace?

;)

Just telling you what's happened.

But you seem to have a problem with that.

Anyway, keep it up.

Archived