BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah good spot. He wasn't exactly in the team but I still think the point stands that Jason Brown is a good enough replacement to last until the next transfer window, in the case of injury. He's no world beater because of his height but he does a good job.

Brown has looked even poorer than Robinson in pre-season. I think we need to bring in an experienced 'keeper to put pressure on Robinson and hope that the prospect of a serious challenge for his place will help to improve his form. Having watched Robinson in all the games he has played so far I think that the goalkeeping position is now an area of concern and needs strengthening.

Everyone keeps saying how great our strikers are going to be now that Fowler is here to teach them? Given this, why haven't we signed him as a coach rather than a player?

Lots of people get carried away by how much you can teach a player. What Fowler has/had couldn't be taught. If it could there would have been many more of his calibre.

1 in (Robinson) and 1 out (Brad). We always loan out a keeper from our youth setup.

If he is going to bring in an average league 1 keeper then it won't boost Robinson's confidence much.

Maybe it won't boost his confidence, but signing a 2nd/3rd choice keeper won't hurt his confidence either. Signing him would allow us to send Fielding out on loan, which should help him develop further.

Bit of a non-issue this. A cheap backup keeper is there in case of injuries and suspensions, but shouldn't have much of an impact on anything. Us Rovers fans haven't cared much about depth in the GK department, due to having Brad. But there clearly is a need, as shown even by teams like United and Chelsea. United have had van der Saar and Foster both out at the same time, and Chelsea had to call Magnus Hedman out of retirement to provide cover when Cudicini, Cech AND Hilario were out at the same time. Hilario recovered enough to play though. Simply put we need to have three keepers. Fielding would be OK as third choice I think, but he's better off on loan. What would that then leave us with? Bjorn Bussman, a 17 year old who I don't think has even played for the reserves?

We've actually had some very good depth in my time as a Rover. Given, Kelly, Fettis, Filan, Enckelman, Brown have all been backups and were all internationals (Well, Given at the time, and Brown, weren't/aren't exactly regulars, but still).

Lots of people get carried away by how much you can teach a player. What Fowler has/had couldn't be taught. If it could there would have been many more of his calibre.
I'd agree with that, but only to an extent. Fowler, like Derbyshire (and Gally to a point) has a pure and simple natural ability, and this cannot be taught to the likes of you and me (I'm assuming here - For all i know you could be an instinctive finisher, but i'm certainly not ;) )

However, although this cannot be "taught", it can certainly be coached and improved - You can't teach a rugby player gymnastics to a great level, but you can make a good gymnast a better one.

Derbyshire's ability cannot be schooled in a traditional way, but in that game it's all about an extra couple of inches on the defender, or having your weight in the correct proportions on each foot to be able to make the percentage turn properly - None of this can be taught from scratch, but it can certainly be honed.

With the type of striker that Fowler is, and the type Derbyshire is shaping up to be, there is definately benefit to be had from them working together.

£9 million for McCarthy would probably be the best piece of footballing business that the club has ever been involved in! I would be ecstatic if we got that for him, but I just cannot see it happening. He has done absolutely nothing for over a year now and has started the season on the bench. We would, however, have to be very quick in bringing in a replacement because, if anything happened to Roque, we'd be screwed!

Oh yeah, I know somebody asked Nicko about whether Vogel was injured or left out of the squad, but Nicko's response was rather cryptic. Does anybody know what the score if with him, because I know nothing. We seem to be collecting central midfielders at the moment. Right now we have Dunn, Tugay, Villenueva, Mokoena, Vogel and Reid who play there as their natural position while Emerton filled in brilliantly in the holding role last season. Surely we cannot be signing two more in Grella and Andrews? Even bringing in one of these guys would mean somebody being moved on?

Lastly, can somebody confirm what kind of midfielder Grella is? Does he defence or attack minded, right / left footed, versatile? Cheers!

Having watched Robinson in all the games he has played so far I think that the goalkeeping position is now an area of concern and needs strengthening.

I'm more concerned about of Central Midfield which has been weak for years.

Dropping Robinson from spurs didn't pick up his form, so i doubt bringing in another keeper will. Depends on price but there are other areas we should be spending our cash on.

Top strikers do have that instinctive ability that can't be taught. But instinct alone won't make anyone a professional footballer, there's more to it than that. Perhaps one can't teach exactly *when* to make a certain move, but they can teach *how* to do it. There's also a lot of improvement to be had off the pitch. How to behave, how to prepare, how to train, how to stay fit in the off season, how to handle media, how to handle pressure and expectations etc etc.

I do agree with the point that at 30, someone like Jason Roberts isn't likely to improve a whole lot in an area like finishing, as he's been surrounded by professional coaches for many years already. However things that could still improve would be how he interacts with the team, and they with him. In some tactical systems he might be much more effective than in others; if Ince's philosophy ties in with Roberts strengths then he could have a very good season. Perhaps one of our new coaches is a perfect match (Coaching-wise...) for Roberts. Maybe he's one of those players who only play really well wehn everything else in life is going well. And so on.

I suppose that the point I'm trying to make is that one won't dramatically improve individual skills at that age, but one can still improve as a player. Heck, after all it *is* possible to change completely as a player. I mean when we saw Dwight Yorke at Ewood, did anyone think that four years later he'd be a hard-working defensive midfielder, still playing in the Premiership?? I mean with that in mind perhaps Jason will turn into Pippo Inzaghi.

BAD NEWS - A couple of absentees from the side today, but I am not going into detail. Away win less likely, so I think the bet is a hunch that Spurs will beat Middlesbrough who don't have a right back.

Nicko, surely that post implies that we had a couple of absentees from the side?? I cant for the life of me think who was absent apart from Bert. I know you said earlier that it was due to Mokoena and Reid playing but surely that doesn't back up the original absentee comment. Had you initially heard that RSC was out, I know he had been a doubt all of last week.

With the type of striker that Fowler is, and the type Derbyshire is shaping up to be, there is definately benefit to be had from them working together.

Big season for Matty IMO. If your talking about natural talent and ability at the highest level - remember that both Fowler/Owen - were in their respective teams at 17 and scoring goals for fun. Matty is now 23, if he does not show signs of cementing a place this year, will he ever?

Nicko, surely that post implies that we had a couple of absentees from the side?? I cant for the life of me think who was absent apart from Bert. I know you said earlier that it was due to Mokoena and Reid playing but surely that doesn't back up the original absentee comment. Had you initially heard that RSC was out, I know he had been a doubt all of last week.

I heard Reidy and Mokoena were starting, which meant Emerton was out and Villanueva was not fit to start. Didn't expect Ooijer to get the nod over Simpson, turned out quite well in the end.

:rover: paul ince has expressed a lot off pressmen/reporters have been causing him/the club grief.silly reports about unrest/transfer speculation and still 90% off the board take everything said by our resident reporter as gospel.grow up and see him as a agent provocateur :brfc:

I was a bit surprised to hear that Simpson was only on the bench as well Nicko. Not complaining though.

I personally think we'll see a few cameo appearances for Villanueva for a while, the odd 10-20 minutes until he's settled in a bit more.

I am not gullible enough to totally believe the statement from Ince that the exit doors are closed.

On the other hand, the likes of Benni, Roque are names Ince did refer to.

If the so called figure of 9m for Benni is reached, after the above statements in public of not selling anyone, you would have to consider his replacement.

Not only for maintaining, and improving the squads strength, and Ince's creditability for standing by his statements, then the replacement would have to be almost in the door.

Nicko suggest we have looked at a few, but are they that close that we could have them in within two weeks.

I am sure that neither BRFC, or the supporter would want another 9m sat in the kitty with no one to spend it on until January.

So Nicko if say the deal went through this week, are we close enough on a replacement?

:rover: paul ince has expressed a lot off pressmen/reporters have been causing him/the club grief.silly reports about unrest/transfer speculation and still 90% off the board take everything said by our resident reporter as gospel.grow up and see him as a agent provocateur :brfc:

You've been a bit quoet since you said the Fowler stuff was garbage...

Strange that.

Nicko,

Any word on Warnock-Milner swap rumours? Is Milner off to Villa? Is Warnock staying put?

Do you expect much transfer action between now and the end of the window or have most sides done their shopping this summer?

That swap is a new one on me...I heard Keegan was trying to sign Atouba from Hamburg...so Warnock won't be going there.

I think there are an awful lot of deals still to be done. There are so many clubs short on players right now.

nicko are we still looking at paul konchesky-he made a terrible mistake for hull to win the game, but i do think a back up left back is needed and you couldnt go wrong with him??

milner's figure is around 9million-who would really play that much-id prefer seb larsson, jermaine pennant and michael kightly to him..

Archived