BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 20% Warnock

Hughesy

After throwing the game on Saturday, and giving away soft goals all season to get Ince fired, he'll be celebrating more than most today; probably thinking he's in charge - kingmaker.

But not for long I hope. Any new manager worth his salt will see that his attitude under Ince is a cancer that could reappear at any time. It's even got me hoping that Souness gets the job and in his meet the players session, walks up to the scouse ######, nuts him then sells him on Jan 1. Message to the rest: you may not like me and I may not like you, but when you are in the team you give 100%.

He needs to be put in his place ASAP

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Warnock. My opinion on him is thus:

1) There's nobody I'd rather see going into a 50-50 tackle to save us from relegation than Steven Warnock.

2) If he could pass the ball he'd be a midfielder - because he can't, that's not an option

3) Young players like Warnock make mistakes, his concentration etc will improve with age - that's why he didn't cost £10m - he's not the finished article yet.

I like Warnock. My opinion on him is thus:

1) There's nobody I'd rather see going into a 50-50 tackle to save us from relegation than Steven Warnock.

2) If he could pass the ball he'd be a midfielder - because he can't, that's not an option

3) Young players like Warnock make mistakes, his concentration etc will improve with age - that's why he didn't cost £10m - he's not the finished article yet.

:rover: YOUNG how old is he :unsure::brfcsmilie:

Warnock is 27.

He did have a stinker last week, but I still rate him at left-back. It wasn't that long ago he broke into the England squad. I don't really think he has what it takes for centre-mid.

:rover: at the moment i would rate him better than,dunn,andrews,pedersen,spit,the axe in midfield,givet by all accounts played well the other night :brfcsmilie:

• 3 weeks later...

Think it's time to boost this one again. He scored and made one on Sunday and seemed to be delighted with it all. He's doing all the press interviews today and that's good too. But for me one of the most important things he did on sunday was to stop diouf being sent off. A moment or two more of the obnoxious Mr Diouf mouthing off at the ref and he might have seen us reduced to 9 men. Stevie's timely intervention, talking to the player and the ref and getting Diouf out of the way was great. well done!

Strange game yesterday as 90% of it was in the air! So Warnocks passing (or lack of passing....) skill was not too exposed. However, as we are clearly going to go down the 451/433 route I can see Warnock having a real impact. He will get up and down the pitch, get his foot in, support the striker. We could also see the beginnings of what could be a beautiful partnership between him and Pedersen down the left. Pedesen can cut in and Steve go outside (as he did for the second goal) or the reverse can occur (for the first goal). It is a nice combination. He also has a bit of pace which is nice.

Warnock moving from strength to strength in midfield is utterly crucial for us. As is Dunn and Grella being fit. If we can put out a five of Peds, Warnock, Grella, Dunn, Diouff that is actually quite a decent unit.

How long did Liverpool let him rot in their reserves? Football's a short enough career as it is.

Danny Murphy was another who only saw the light of day when he was about 23, at Liverpool. Talk about strangling talent.

Warnock is 27.

He did have a stinker last week, but I still rate him at left-back. It wasn't that long ago he broke into the England squad. I don't really think he has what it takes for centre-mid.

So did Nicky Shorey - can't get in at Villa with a right back covering his position.

Being picked for England last season does not mean much towards the back end of this one.

But now is the time to decide if he is a leftback or midfielder and keep him in that position. No good will come of keep swapping hos position. BTW I think it will be midfield.

Shorey was always overrated. Warnock is a solid left-back; good defensively and offers a decent amount going forward (even if that is somewhat unreliable and inconsistent). He'll never attract the attention of the big teams, but he's also a player we don't need to replace even if we want the team to improve significantly. I still remain unconvinced that he is anywhere good enough to play central midfield in the premiership in any capacity. He had quite a poor game overall against Hull apart from the couple of minutes in which he finished his chance nicely and made a nice run to set-up the goal. Obviously if a midfielder could get an assist and a goal every other game we'd be onto a star, but I don't think Warnock will do that and I am also certain we are weakened more by him not being at left back than we are strengthened by him being in central midfield. Givet is a good defender and good left back, but he will not offer anything going forward. In a team like ours that has very little pace on the wings we need to have at least some threat of overlapping fullbacks, if we can't do that then teams will find it very easy to mark someone like MGP out of the game.

Shorey was always overrated. Warnock is a solid left-back; good defensively and offers a decent amount going forward (even if that is somewhat unreliable and inconsistent). He'll never attract the attention of the big teams, but he's also a player we don't need to replace even if we want the team to improve significantly. I still remain unconvinced that he is anywhere good enough to play central midfield in the premiership in any capacity. He had quite a poor game overall against Hull apart from the couple of minutes in which he finished his chance nicely and made a nice run to set-up the goal. Obviously if a midfielder could get an assist and a goal every other game we'd be onto a star, but I don't think Warnock will do that and I am also certain we are weakened more by him not being at left back than we are strengthened by him being in central midfield. Givet is a good defender and good left back, but he will not offer anything going forward. In a team like ours that has very little pace on the wings we need to have at least some threat of overlapping fullbacks, if we can't do that then teams will find it very easy to mark someone like MGP out of the game.

I agree about Warnock in the Centre of Midfield but if we move him there he has stay there until the end of the season. Sam likes athletes in his midfield to compress the opposition and prevent them from playing. In the attacking sense their only contribution should be like our midfield did to great effect on Sunday - by breaking into the box. A prime example is Kevin Nolan, who looked great for Sam but when other managers tried changing his playing style looked crap according to Bolton fans.

Givet not offering anything going forward won't bother Sam because I think he would want his defence in position and not concede goals. Warnock main attribute as full back is breaking forward but this does tend to leave a gap which can be exploited.

• Backroom

Got to say Warnock in the centre and Givet at the back is looking great, Warnock been a real attacking threat and Givet looks superb. Long may it continue.

Strangely enough, considering he's a left back, he provides a credible goal scoring threat from midfield. His drive and energy are really being put to good use in midfield at the moment. I'd argue that his passing isn't good enough for him to stay there long term, but right now he's one of our best options there.

Archived