BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 20% Warnock

Hughesy

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your gonna drive me back to smoking Gav.

Warnock is quoted on BBC; "I enjoyed my time there. I always felt that a move to Blackburn was a stepping stone to a move back to a big club.

"I had the chance to play for Villa, who are as ambitious as anyone to break in to the top four. I had to take it.

He said some good stuff about us.

No booing or cheering for me. I'm going to carry on the new trend of racist comments.

I will say here and now that booing ANY former player (in whatever circumstance) is pointless when that effort should go to cheering on your own team. Showing former players appreciation is a different matter altogether and we should be forthright in such appreciation. Especially with our best LB since the title-winning Le Saux and arguably the best goalkeeper ever to don the blue and white halves.

Warnock was sold to balance the books, he didn't ask to leave.

Are you sure about that?

Here - I'll clear it up all in one go.

Warnock was more than happy to leave when the chance came - to get away from BFS and his anti-football which will never get Rovers where the players thought they were going when they signed for Hughes.

BFS had to sell Warnock to pay Salgado's wages (ie to balance the books for that signing).

So you're both right, worryingly.

Here - I'll clear it up all in one go.

Warnock was more than happy to leave when the chance came - to get away from BFS and his anti-football which will never get Rovers where the players thought they were going when they signed for Hughes.

BFS had to sell Warnock to pay Salgado's wages (ie to balance the books for that signing).

So you're both right, worryingly.

And there's the rub. Has the full story ever come out over how and why Hughes left? Anybody in't posh seats could not fail to see that his normally positive pitch side mood and demeanor changed massively for the worse at the end of the 2007 January transfer window. We've heard JW's version but it's a bit like hearing one side of a divorce argument so I wonder if Hughes story will ever come out?

That man unearthed and left us with 50m worth of saleable assets in just 4 years from virtually a standing start! Without a doubt our very own Golden Goose. It's quite possible that history will show that losing him so cheaply and on the face of it without a whimper will be seen as disaster of cataclysmic proportions for BRFC.

It has got little to do with the manager. Financially we are clearly not in the same league as a lot of PL clubs. Players can simply get a higher wage at other clubs, that's what happens when they leave us.

What has changed is the club and its outlook on selling players. We resisted so many bids for players when Hughes was manager, now we just bargain and accept a suitable price - that is what JW has said recently too......

It has got little to do with the manager. Financially we are clearly not in the same league as a lot of PL clubs. Players can simply get a higher wage at other clubs, that's what happens when they leave us.

Like Bellamy and Bentley who both allegedly took pay cuts to leave us?

He said almost always. Again, reports at the time of both departures were that Bellamy and Bentley turned down more lucrative contracts from us (I think in Bellamy's case, the reports came from the club).

Pretty sure they would have been on higher wages.

Spurs have quite a low wage cap but they still make it financially attractive for players to join them. They have paid signing on fees for players who are not just out of contract. Plus their bonuses are much more lucrative than ours for example.

The fact remains, financially we are not in the same league as a lot of PL clubs.

I ended up having to wear sunglasses as the start of the second half. The reception the BBEnd gave Brad made me cry.

Losing Brad is still one of the things that makes me want Ince dead most- although I'm a bit more comfortable about Robinson now. (Brad's save from Dunn today was still top notch)

By the way neither the Wince nor Sourpuss apologists will ever convince me that the impetus to sell Duff and Brad did not come from the respective managers. And both were wrong. Funnily enough the numpties that still hanker after both are the same. Funny that.............

I ended up having to wear sunglasses as the start of the second half. The reception the BBEnd gave Brad made me cry.

Losing Brad is still one of the things that makes me want Ince dead most- although I'm a bit more comfortable about Robinson now. (Brad's save from Dunn today was still top notch)

By the way neither the Wince nor Sourpuss apologists will ever convince me that the impetus to sell Duff and Brad did not come from the respective managers. And both were wrong. Funnily enough the numpties that still hanker after both are the same. Funny that.............

:wstu:

No comment needed.

anyone who accuses Souness, Hughes, Ince or Allardyce of wanting to sell our top players is crazy. We don't have much resources as it is, and they know they won't be given much to replace them with, so why on Earth would they want to sell almost irreplaceable people?

I for one have a lot more respect for Souness than any of our former stars currently playing football.

I appreciate Tris' attempt to give us the inside story but when I see a phrase like "Sam's anti-football" I suspect we are getting the truth after it has been through a filter.

I have heard a number of conflicting stories/versions so all I can say is that I am reasonably confident the following is true:

- nobody whether pro or anti Sam will dispute that Sam got Stoke away completely wrong last season. After the game apparently, Sam raged at the players and to his credit, Warnock was one of the players who voiced their opinions.

- but that does not mean Warnock was unhappy with Sam or the Rovers. To the contrary he was immensely well liked and together with the rest of the squad were extremely pleased with how Sam and Neil had set up the pre-season training and fitness regime and the team spirit they engendered up at Brockhall. Warnock was not battering the doors down to leave, not giving interviews to Paraguayan radio stations or with a glazed look whilst on holiday in Marbella, and I believe would have been perfectly happy had he been on the winning blue and white side yesterday afternoon.

- however, there were undoubtedly people close to Warnock (of a scally origin) who could not wait to get him out of Ewood and to somewhere "bigger" and made no secret of what THEY wanted for Warnock.

Watching Warnock's demeanour yesterday I would say he was genuinely dismayed by the booing he got from a small portion of the Rovers crowd.

My gut feel is that despite the errors that had come into Warnock's game towards the end of his time at Ewood, Rovers would have been a much stronger club had we retained Warnock and not signed Salgado and Chimbonda. I do think Sam lost the plot in the last two or three weeks of the transfer window.

Archived