BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan Preview

• Backroom

Had the match recorded on Sky+ and just watching it back, Roberts comes across as a top bloke but I was shocked that jamie Redknapp claimed the first goal was a foul on Kirkland, never mind the fact that Kirkland had two hands on Samba.

I've never understood how he gets work as a pundit is it because he's 'easy on the eye'?

Give his job to Robbie Savage when he hangs his boots up he'd be much better.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus, just had Dixon and Keown on MOTD2 saying it wasn't a great game and you couldn't charge much more for the game than £7. Cheeky gits, both products of George Grahams boring, boring Arsenal 1-0 offside merchants. Talk about pots and kettles... :angry2:

• Backroom

To be fair other than that they were largely complimentary about us and Samba in particular.

Edit: For some reason in the table they just showed they hadn't updated our status... we were still 16th with 34 points :huh:

• Backroom
Re the 2 above posts!

Disgraceful stuff from the BBC!

Also they didn't show the Kuqi pile on's when Nelsen scored! Rubbish editing!

They fixed the table at the end, but yeah, poor form on not showing Nelsen's goal celebration in full :angry2: although I got goosebumps when watching that goalmouth scramble, superb stuff.... especially Dunny flinging himself in front of the ball, smashing through his own players to get there :D

Watched it on Ford Footy special, just finished now.

Was brilliant stuff.

Btw who said earlier in the thread 2-0 and Nelsen to score? Whoever did is a legend!

I said Nelsen and McCarthy to score but said 2-2 :brfcsmilie:

Funnily enough, I thought me and Presty could get a competition going to see which player would score first, so I thought i'd choose Nelsen to score every game, starting at Wigan, and Presty always goes for Pedersen. However, the competition didn't last long :lol:

I win :P

Not sure if anyone has mentioned..Robbie Savage (and his hat) was near me in the corporate section for the game. Jumped up and down like mad for the second goal!

That's it!

Well it's good to know that Rovers mean something to Robbie, and indeed from what we saw out on the pitch today....also to our our present players. It was plain to see from the way they celebrated the two goals, and also the way they reacted to the several saves that Robinson made. Then at the final whistle they all again showed their very genuine pleasure and relief. Who says they don't care?

Didn't p me off. I bought my season ticket last year and still believe it was/is value for money.

Me too jisty.... but I have heard grumblings.

Removed

I'm a part timer after having a season ticket for 15 years too eh?

I guess thats you banned for a while so it's not worth a reply.

Fantastic result for us!

Robinson and Grella were the key for me, that and playing 4-4-2, Bleedin' genius that Big Sam for taking his boys out for a break before our biggest game in years :rover:

Agreed Grella did a very good job, and I can see him being a much better midfielder for us if he can stay fit. Robbo was superb.

for those playing at home ;)

Att: 25,019

Compared to 23,541 last season when we were in a much stronger position and not on sky tv and less of a credit crunch. Good effort from the fans. Also good that we have that end full for the remaining 2 games.

Jesus, just had Dixon and Keown on MOTD2 saying it wasn't a great game and you couldn't charge much more for the game than £7. Cheeky gits, both products of George Grahams boring, boring Arsenal 1-0 offside merchants. Talk about pots and kettles... :angry2:

NOBS! I saw it too and was fuming. Im fed up of either Arsenal or Liverpool pundits, so biased towards their darlings. Aparently Samba was clumbsy (at which point they showed him take a ball from about 5 foot down to his foot with perfection and then spray the ball at wide) and 3 for £20 was enough because it wasnt worth anymore. What compared to about £40 at arsenal v boro? Yeah ok you pricks!

Had the match recorded on Sky+ and just watching it back, Roberts comes across as a top bloke but I was shocked that jamie Redknapp claimed the first goal was a foul on Kirkland, never mind the fact that Kirkland had two hands on Samba.

I actually think he does a pretty good job. There was legitimate reason to bring up the Samba and McCarthy challenged on the keeper, although they all agreed that it was good to see the goal given. Same goes for the second one and Samba being offside once Nelsen had touched the ball.

under allardyce our points per game is 1.411 and if we would have 54 points which would put us around 7th at the end of the season. when 'his' signings added this summer i believe he can probably get 1.6 points average per game which would put our points total to 63 and firmly be in a european placing.

looking forward alot to next season.

have to say today's match was one of the best perfomances i've seen from rovers in a while. they wore the famous blue and white halves with pride today :P

do this every week and we'll be back up there where we belong.

Sat far far away, top performance from the players and the fans.

I was nervous from the start and still so at the 90, glad to now have renewed optimism for the staying up party when I return on the 1st of May.

Still not over the finish line, but where coming up on the rails, and looking good to possible pass S/land and and Notlob on the home straight.

COME ON YOU BLUES. :rover:

Grellas the fella, told you so, and that's without too much match fitness either. Players like him are like rivets on a ship, you can't see them but they hold everything together, when they go missing everything falls apart.

Magic win, everyone was up for it. Frankly Wigan were by far the best team and I'd love some of their players but we topped them in spirit, fight and bite. To overcome that team putting in that performance and given the nerves of the must win game I think every player without exception was top draw. Sure they got through the back four on several occasions but how many back fours would they not have got through with attacking play like that, hats of to them but all the credit to our boys. Robbo's performance took me back to thinking of Brad, how many times did we see him save us like that. Back fours sometimes get beaten.

Fans were just different class, the atmosphere crackled, can't imagine any team wanting to visit Ewood and face that every week. If that's what cheap tickets buys us then I'm all for it, season ticket holder or not (which of course I am).

Nelson Rules but Sambas player of the year for me.

Did anyone else catch McCarthys appraisal of Samba? Apparently Samba is known as Drogba or Adebayor amongst others on the training ground.

Reading the prognosis on Jason and Roque, I guess Samba has booked his place up front for the rest of the season.

He could do some damage getting in amongst those precious egos in City's backline.

Fans were just different class, the atmosphere crackled, can't imagine any team wanting to visit Ewood and face that every week. If that's what cheap tickets buys us then I'm all for it, season ticket holder or not (which of course I am).

Unfortunately it wont. If we keep this 3 matches for £20 malarky then in time the novelty will fade and then we'll have to sell 3 for £10 to get the same effect. This is obvious when considering that the reduction in ST prices has made little to no difference just 2 years down the line. There are still lots of gaps on the Riverside despite ST's being about £250 / £13 per match.

What I do suspect is that if we ever try to put them up now to the previous level that support will fall away dramatically.

Some very interesting posts most of which I agree with. I was nervous throughout the game, nervous when we went 1 nil up and still nervous when we were 2 nil up. It was only the last 12 minutes or so when I though we were actually going to win.

Feel somewhat uneasy about having to play Samba upfront like that and all the reliance on long balls etc. However, loved the result. I was able to go home and spend a couple of hours calculating if we get a point here and they loose a point there what would be the likely final outcome . Very much admire the spirit of the players - glad they were not as nervous as me.

I thought we looked alot better with a recognised formation that we stuck to and a more orthodox midfield. Still not sure how good Grella is but he is usually very neat with his first pass when he gets the ball. Was able to watch Givet in some detail in the first half. He certainly looks like he knows what he was doing. Warnock ( ? ) ran into Mido like an express train in the first half and was not surprised when Mido did not come out for the second. That was fortunate for us as I thought he looked dangerous before that.

Benni's free kick that lead to the second goal was superb. We were behind the goal and you could tell it was danderous from the moment it left his foot. He really is the most frustrating player in the world in that he is good but could be so much more.

Glad to see Carlos come on. In 10 minutes he gave away 3 niggling fouls but got a shot off on goal and made a great cross field pass.

One last thing, my daughter was watching the match in a pub in Glasgow with her friends. Because it did not involve 1 of the big 4 they would not turn the sound up. When we scored the second, her friends were both bemused and impressed by the goal celebrations, not apprectationg the added significance of the fact that it was Ryan's 1st goal. One of her friends was heard to say " I presume you dont win many matches ? "

Well Gordon here's an idea that I know you and one or two others will really appreciate: How about making it free admission for Asians in order to introduce the delights of Ewood to that section of the Blackburn community? just until the idea has taken a firm hold and they have become true fans. Could be worth a go!

Archived