BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Strachan Quits / Owen Coyle To Take Over Tomorrow

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unless the 40m TV/place money is going straight into Kilby/Flood's back pockets Coyle would be mad to leave.

Manage in the biggest League in the world or four decent games per season in the Mickey Mouse League?

No brainer.

It all depends. If the best Burnley can reasonably expect is to finish fourth bottom then he will hardly be all that sought after. Pulis did that this season and is hardly on the Chelsea shortlist is he?

However...perform well at Celtic and do well in the Champions League would enhance his reputation.

If Burnley are going to give him plenty of money to spend then it would be a different story. With the stories about how skint they are and how the likes of Kilby and Flood need their investment back it does not seem to be.

The likes of McCarthy, Davies and Brown have done what Coyle has done. Can you imagine a Champions League club ever coming in for them?

Managing in the Prem can quickly ruin a reputation.

Don't be silly.

Coyle wouldn't turn down a once-in-a-lifetime chance to manage one of the biggest clubs in Europe, never mind Britain.

It's all academic anyway - Celtic want Moyes apparently.

Hell is going to freeze over - I actually agree with Jim!

There is a difference between the Moyes and Coyle situations. In twelve months Coyle will be back in the Championship and maybe won't be asked again (if indeed they ask him now). I think 12/18 months ago Moyes was in a bit of a rut and the feeling on Merseyside was that he'd taken Everton as far as he was able. Since then he has kept his resolve and is now on the verge of making Everton even bigger and better. Of the two, Celtic will go for Moyes but I do not feel he would accept, preferring instead to keep the momentum going in the Premier League.

Difference is...Moyes is at a big club in the form of Everton. They get 40,000 or so every week and each summer he gets to buy a player of 10 million plus...while somehow being thought of as a manager building a top 5 side without spending anything.

Burnley will not be able to spend that and can hardly be compared with Everton.

Having said that Moyes might go for a change as he has been at Everton for years already and they do not look like being a top 4 side anytime soon. Furthermore he is a former Celtic player and it might appeal to him.

Didn't Moyes come out saying he wants to build a legacy at Everton??? I don't see him leaving for Celtic he's my tip to replace Ferguson.

Mine too from way back although the Glasers might now want a bigger foreign name.

Ditto for Moyles. I don't think you get any real kudos for winning the title in Scotland - it's always going to be you or t'other lot anyway but I think it reflects extremely badly if you don't.

I don't think you get any real kudos of winning the title in England - it's always going to be (insert top 4 club here) but I think it reflects extremely badly if you don't.

I'm just relievd the Ginger Whinger has finally gone. To be fair he had, and did, a hell of a job after "Saint Martin" (AKA god), but you just couldn't have the same affection for him as you had for god!

I'm just relievd the Ginger Whinger has finally gone. To be fair he had, and did, a hell of a job after "Saint Martin" (AKA god), but you just couldn't have the same affection for him as you had for god!

Jan,

I've got family in Penilee (Gers) They reckon Strachan was never accpted at Celtic due to his "Presbyterian" background. According to them Coyle fits the Celtic profile, what do you think?

I think you understimate the pulling power of the Old Firm clubs.

No Scot is going to turn down either of those 2 jobs.

A field of candidates led by Mowbray (freshly relegated from the Prem with WBA) and McGhee (7th in the SPL with Motherwell) doesn't exactly indicate the job has massive pulling power!

Jan,

I've got family in Penilee (Gers) They reckon Strachan was never accpted at Celtic due to his "Presbyterian" background. According to them Coyle fits the Celtic profile, what do you think?

It really was more down to the Martin O'Neill effect. Anyone after him would have suffered.

Jan,

It's not a ludicrous theory. That Strachan doesn't have an Irish name and no discernible Glasgow roots was tolerated by the fans for as long as he was bringing success, but the disgraceful surrendering of the league this year (not to mention the dreadful away record and goal-scoring in the final weeks of the season) was exactly the nail many supporters required for his coffin.

For my own part, my problem with him extended only as far as his team selection and failure to close the deal when Rangers were buried after the first Ibrox Old Firm game. I'm glad he's gone.

Don't be silly.

Coyle wouldn't turn down a once-in-a-lifetime chance to manage one of the biggest clubs in Europe, never mind Britain.

It's all academic anyway - Celtic want Moyes apparently.

Moyes will never leave Everton. He has them on the up.

Coyle on the other hand.... if they ask him it will be a seriously hard decision for him. You could see the team spirit of Burnley and the belief. He must think he has a chance of keeping them up and doing something extraordinary in the Premiership. We all hope they'll get tanked, but from his point of view he must think it could be worth the gamble.

I guess it comes down to how much he believes in his ability to do well with Burnley. He seems the type to stick where he is to be honest. At least for one season.

No-one seems to be giving Tony Pullis any credit at all for getting Stoke into (12th?) using their style of football whereas bizarrely Tony Mowbray seems to be regarded as an all round good egg for taking WBA down playing pretty football.

If Coyle could keep Burnley up using the attractive style they've employed in their Cup exploits, his profile would be boosted no end. Even if they go down but play nice stuff and make a reasonable fist of it, I can't see his reputation will be harmed that much.

If say Mowbray was appointed at Parkhead and finished 2nd again, he'd probably be out of a job by this time next year.

Thinking about this and imo Coyle should leave Burnley now for the good of his career. The only way is down in all reallity. His stock is excellent now but we've seen many promising managers who have brought clubs up lose their jobs by Christmas. They quickly become damaged goods never to be seen at top level again!

Alternatively at Celtic he cannot really lose and the big draw must be european football. If he makes himself a name in that then he will be in big demand by top clubs right across Europe.

It's head and heart for the lad....... and in the cold light of day both point to Celtic imo.

Isn't Moyes better then Celtic though? I am a fan of the Bhoys and would love to see him go there but where does he go? Martin O'Neill undertsandably went there and gave himself some pedigree to move back the the Premier League but Moyes is already doing well.

Maybe it will be a Scottish thing.

He would be a fool not to go, more money, better side, Champions League football. As others have said, at Burnley now the only way is down for him. He will likely be relegated with them which will see his stock fall dramatically, if he keeps them up he'd possibly get a job at a side a level up (Sunderland, Bolton, etc) but wouldnt go on to a team bigger than Celtic.

He's proven himself managing a lower league club, and has not got a chance to prove himself on a European stage and win some trophies. His situation is very similar to Martin O'Neill's before he went up there.

Archived