BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Strachan Quits / Owen Coyle To Take Over Tomorrow

Celtic to talk to Coyle, and offer him 3 times his current salary!

He would be a fool to not go!

They cannot outbid Burnley over the next 12 months. :angry:

BUT as I said a few posts back he's on a 90% chance of losing his reputation in the next season. Does he really want his wife torched in the chippy? (Mullen?) Does he want to work at a club that has 'champagne tastes on beer money? (Ternent) Should he speak to the last scot to manage the dingles.... if he can find Buchan that is? Should he ask Roeder and Waddle? John Bond even? etc etc :rolleyes:

Rem this is a Mirror story so my guess would be that Agent Nixon is pulling some strings somewhere. ^_^

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the dosh will come into it. However if Burnley feel they can't match Celtic financially right now it will really tell us something.

It's all about how far he thinks he take the respective clubs. I know what I'd do in his place. I'd be off up to Jockshire as fast as my little legs would take me.

The more I think about it, the more it does make sense for Coyle to go to Celtic now while his stock is high.

Best example I can think of is Aidy Boothroyd. A few years back he was thought of as one of the brightest young prospects in managements. Iain Dowie too. Relegation makes people ask questions, and when an immediate return to the Prem doesn't materialise then they quickly become discredited and forgotten about.

In all truthfulness Burnley's promotion is akin to Derby's in that it is almost definitely too soon, which means they will struggle like hell to finish anywhere other than 19th or 20th. If Coyle stays on and takes that hit, can he recover from the subsequent first season back in the Championship, given how difficult several other good managers have found it?

No-one seems to be giving Tony Pullis any credit at all for getting Stoke into (12th?) using their style of football whereas bizarrely Tony Mowbray seems to be regarded as an all round good egg for taking WBA down playing pretty football.

If Coyle could keep Burnley up using the attractive style they've employed in their Cup exploits, his profile would be boosted no end. Even if they go down but play nice stuff and make a reasonable fist of it, I can't see his reputation will be harmed that much.

If say Mowbray was appointed at Parkhead and finished 2nd again, he'd probably be out of a job by this time next year.

WBA should have beaten us the other day, if he had better players and a chairman willing to spend a bit of the fortune they must have made who knows.

Three times his salary! Oh dear. I think our neighbours are going to have a nervous few days..

Incidently - seeing as that article is from the mirror the source is probably Nicko.

Perhaps Nicko/mirror is doing it to make sure owen gets a new contract on some serious money considering the season they have had he deserves it. It may also persuade the chairman to spend a little more than he wanted too as I can see him getting lynched if Coyle leaves Burnley.

Coyles done really well but he's still young and is learning, Celtic maybe just a bit too soon for him on reflection, he'll be expected to do well in europe and they will have to qualify for the CL now as well as winning the league back. Celtic hardly have oddoles of cash to spend its no mean task TBH.

However if he's going to take it, Nicko could you drop me a PM so I can go down the bookies.

If your boyhood club comes along, offers you three times your current salary then surely its a no brainer to what you do next.

Is there any truth in Celtic offering Coyle the job ?

He would be a fool not to go, more money, better side, Champions League football. As others have said, at Burnley now the only way is down for him. He will likely be relegated with them which will see his stock fall dramatically, if he keeps them up he'd possibly get a job at a side a level up (Sunderland, Bolton, etc) but wouldnt go on to a team bigger than Celtic.

He's proven himself managing a lower league club, and has not got a chance to prove himself on a European stage and win some trophies. His situation is very similar to Martin O'Neill's before he went up there.

I'm sorry but i'd rather have a go at managing in the best league in the world. This could be the only shot Coyle gets at managing in the premier league, no way would i leave if i was him.

If your boyhood club comes along, offers you three times your current salary then surely its a no brainer to what you do next.

Is there any truth in Celtic offering Coyle the job ?

Mirror claim it's true. Mind you if the Mirror claimed it was Tuesday I'd buy another paper to double-check.

The salary thing is surely irrelevant.

Celtic might be offering 3x Coyle's current Championship salary but surely the Dingles would be in a position to blow Celtic completely out of the water on that front if they wanted.

As for the job at Parkhead, Celtic have no significant funding available to make any real inroads into Europe and if he fails to win the two horse race next season his stock won't exactly be sky high.

Strachan has just won 3 titles in a row and been pipped on the last day on the fourth and appears to be generally despised by the Celtic fans!

Strachan has just won 3 titles in a row and been pipped on the last day on the fourth and appears to be generally despised by the Celtic fans!

As Jan said, this is only because he is compared to MO'N. If Strachan had come before him he'd be revered in a similar way.

If Coyle went in and did was Strachan did, he'd be worshipped.

Coyle met with the Celtic CEO on Monday Night after their Wembley win whilst the CEO was on route to Rome.

Betfair have stopped taking bets and the new Celtic manager, Owen Coyle, will be announced tomorrow, Friday. :brfcsmilie:

this is from within the Celtic inner circle.

Archived