BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Strachan Quits / Owen Coyle To Take Over Tomorrow

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure of his sources (and apologies if already posted) but Roddy Forsythe the 5Live Football man in Scotland reckons Coyle is Celtic's number one choice and that Coyle wants to hear what they have to say?

Would that be Roddy the Proddy? He got it half right, mainly because he read it in the paper today. The 'wants to hear' stuff is rather silly...I think he already knows.

• Backroom
Would that be Roddy the Proddy? He got it half right, mainly because he read it in the paper today. The 'wants to hear' stuff is rather silly...I think he already knows.

From what Nicko says here it sounds as though Celtic want him but he's gonna stay at Burnley.

Shame but fair play to him.

If he goes, he goes. In truth Celtic are a massive club - not sure it is a massive job, not much credit in winning a 2 horse race and frankly no chance in Europe.

As for nobody wanting to replace him? Are you sure? Most managers outside the Prem would give their right arm for a chance to manage in it. Whether that manager can do much for us would be another question but we'd have no shortage of takers for the job.

And if he does go, we will still be in the prem and inline for the financial benefits that will bring.

In brief I'm praying he stays but preparing for him to leave. At the end of the day if he carries on doing what he has been with us then it is simply a case of when, not if he goes.

longsiders

there is no doubt at all that you will have a long list of applicants, the problem is simple, its not the numbers applying its the quality of the applicant.

You can bet your bottom dollar the likes of O'Leary, Gregory, Reid, Boothroyd, Strachan, Ince, Dowie, Shearer and co will all be linked and just looking at the list it surely cannot fill you with confidence.

You wont attract a top notch manager because there is hardly any about. The likes of Curbishly wont come North, youwont attract anyone with any substantial Premiership experience and will no doubt take the easy road with a doft appointment of someone like Glenn Roeder.

I am sorry to see Coyle linked with an exit so soon after the greatest day in Burnleys history, it does however make you think just what is or has happened behind the scenes. Is it really a bed of roses like Nicko previously reported or are the home truths about being substantially in debt ringing true ?

remember mate, we have been there when King Kenny left us after our greatest achievement.

Chin up (or is tha chim chiminee chim chiminee chim chim cheroo ?)

If he goes, he goes. In truth Celtic are a massive club - not sure it is a massive job, not much credit in winning a 2 horse race and frankly no chance in Europe.

As for nobody wanting to replace him? Are you sure? Most managers outside the Prem would give their right arm for a chance to manage in it. Whether that manager can do much for us would be another question but we'd have no shortage of takers for the job.

And if he does go, we will still be in the prem and inline for the financial benefits that will bring.

In brief I'm praying he stays but preparing for him to leave. At the end of the day if he carries on doing what he has been with us then it is simply a case of when, not if he goes.

Burnley's one and only asset is the manager because Kilby gambled, got lucky and found a gem.

Lose him and you're sunk.

I have a feeling that Coyle is wishing it was 12 months from now - having put on a good show but ultimately been relegated, or kept Burnley up Pulis style - and he'd be on the next plane. 2009 though, a crack at the Prem must surely be too tempting to turn down.

Hope he goes though, and Neil Warnock comes in. The one Burnley fan I know HATES Neil Warnock more than he hates Jack Walker...

OC would have to kiss goodbye to a 1m windfall if he joins Celtic.

Daily Record

IF Celtic cant make up the difference having drastically reduced their overdraft over the years, then they deserve a good what does that mean? wide berth.

Now, I bet Nicko has heard this from a closer source than me, but I have heard that Mr Coyle is in a quandry, he wants to stay loyal to Burnley, he really does, but is wondering if the opportunity to manage his boyhood heroes will ever come up again!

The last paragraph in the Daily Record is the one that seems to imply it's a done deal.

Coyle, like Strachan when he took over from Martin O'Neill four years ago, is aware he won't be able to throw money at new talent, but even so that and the loss of his bonus money weren't enough to put him off the club he has supported man and boy.

Neither Coyle nor Kilby was available for comment.

Like Longsider1882 I'm desperately hoping he stays, but, if he goes, he's left us in a position that was beyond our wildest dreams at the start of the season.

The timing, however, would be awful. Not only would we be losing our miracle worker, we'd be starting a manager search at a time that thoughts should be focussed on plotting a route to survival. As has also been said above, it's going to be difficult finding a manager up to the task.

• Backroom

So he stays then, ah well there is no guarantee of success in the Prem with him at the helm, just a lot better chance.

Owen Coyle tonight scuppered reports that he is all set to join Celtic as manager.

TV and newspaper speculation has been wide of the mark all day, with many journalists - especially those north of the border - insisting that Coyle was to be unveiled as the Scottish side's new manager before the weekend.

However, the Burnley manager, who has guided the Clarets to the Premier League, tonight (Wed) told burnleyfc.com: "There has been no approach to Burnley Football Club.

"It is people simply putting two and two together and making five.

"I am going on holiday with my family this weekend and I can assure you I will be doing so as Burnley manager."

Not necessarily meaning he's staying by any long shot. By the sounds of it if Celtic were to come in for him he'd go. There's NOTHING about him not being interested, nothing about him wanting to stay at Burnley for their season in the Premier League, all we know is that he's going to be Burnley manager this weekend.

Keep the faith...

Not necessarily meaning he's staying by any long shot. By the sounds of it if Celtic were to come in for him he'd go. There's NOTHING about him not being interested, nothing about him wanting to stay at Burnley for their season in the Premier League, all we know is that he's going to be Burnley manager this weekend.

Keep the faith...

Celtic or Burnley, tough call!

not

:lol::lol::lol:

Coyle taking his holidays in the Gorbals by any chance?

Being serious, Celtic is at least as big a poisoned chalice as the dingles in the Prem are. Rangers have a very good side and excellent management and are now set to dominate up there for many years. Celtic are in the Champs league qualifying rounds with every prospect of not making it to the group stage.

Like Longsider1882 I'm desperately hoping he stays, but, if he goes, he's left us in a position that was beyond our wildest dreams at the start of the season.

The timing, however, would be awful. Not only would we be losing our miracle worker, we'd be starting a manager search at a time that thoughts should be focussed on plotting a route to survival. As has also been said above, it's going to be difficult finding a manager up to the task.

At least you'd have a fair amount of time to find a replacement. It would be a lot more difficult if he went in Oct/Nov.

Coyle taking his holidays in the Gorbals by any chance?

Being serious, Celtic is at least as big a poisoned chalice as the dingles in the Prem are. Rangers have a very good side and excellent management and are now set to dominate up there for many years. Celtic are in the Champs league qualifying rounds with every prospect of not making it to the group stage.

Rangers do not have a good side by any stretch of the imagination. The Old Firm are pretty shocking these days. One only has to look at the way Celtic p!ssed away the championship and Rangers just about managed it to see how utterly dreadful the standard is up there.

Rangers do not have a good side by any stretch of the imagination. The Old Firm are pretty shocking these days. One only has to look at the way Celtic p!ssed away the championship and Rangers just about managed it to see how utterly dreadful the standard is up there.

Ok I was sparing your sensitivities by not saying Celtic are dire and in Rangers are facing an opponent that now has the odds stacked heavilly in their favour.

Coyle will be off soon enough - if it ain't this week to Celtic he'll use the whole episode to max out his salary at B*rnley and insert a useful "release clause" into the bargain ... once it's clear they're dragging him down with them (around September time) he'll jump.

The gap is widening again already, and they've only been up 48 hours!! :rover:

Archived