BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Strachan Quits / Owen Coyle To Take Over Tomorrow

Ok I was sparing your sensitivities by not saying Celtic are dire and in Rangers are facing an opponent that now has the odds stacked heavilly in their favour.

:lol: Cheers Phillip.

Again, the odds are not stacked heavily in their favour. Celtic and Rangers have been equally shocking this year - though the Gers deserve huge kudos for continuing to plug away while Celtic embarrassed themselves. Having said that, I'm not going to come on here and claim that Celtic deserved the title and Rangers got lucky; that's clearly not the case. The most obvious requirement needed at Parkhead is some freshening up. Strachan's side was so toothless and slow in the last few weeks. It could go either way next year though.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spot on tgm. If he made up his mind that he was definitely staying at Burnley then he'd explicitly say so. The above absolutely reeks of Coyle waiting on Celtic.

It would be surprising if Coyle didn't at least want to hear what Celtic had to say.

In the minority but still think he'd be mad to actually move.

You will also note that he says personal terms aren't the issue. So if they give him some funds he'll be gone in a shot and you know what they will do? Find some funds to give him. It's all a game of cat and mouse.

Now, I bet Nicko has heard this from a closer source than me, but I have heard that Mr Coyle is in a quandry, he wants to stay loyal to Burnley, he really does, but is wondering if the opportunity to manage his boyhood heroes will ever come up again!

He must act as the professional he is and thats that.

We're just witnessing the opening plays in this game.

Of course he's interested, but he can't make it so obvious so soon after promotion.

If Celtic haven't announced anyone else within a week or so, I reckon he'll jump ship.

I think he'll go eventually.

Even Nicko admits he has talked with them confirming that he is interested and that he is their No1 choice.

I reckon its just early sparring about funds etc

I am sorry to see Coyle linked with an exit so soon after the greatest day in Burnleys history

What, greater then being Champions of the country? Greatest in a long long time but not the greatest ever.

it does however make you think just what is or has happened behind the scenes. Is it really a bed of roses like Nicko previously reported or are the home truths about being substantially in debt ringing true ?

We are not substantially in debt at all. We do have around 6 million of debt to directors though. The figures being bandied around suggest 25 million of the money we will get over the three years (assuming immediate relegation and no further promotion of course) will go on paying these back, buying the ground back and ground improvements.

I don't think there are any issues behind closed doors - the way the team have performed suggests there definitely isn't. i'm sure the manager and board clash on occasion - nature of the beast.

Looks like he is staying for now, which is tremendous news if true. No doubt he will be off before long. For me I just hope that is after he has managed to keep us in the Prem, playing the brand of football he has this last year. No Burnley fans could really have any gripe at all.

Looks like he is staying for now, which is tremendous news if true. No doubt he will be off before long.

I don't think he will start next season with you. The problem is that Celtic have to get the man they put out to the press or risk making themselves look very poor when they can't get him. I think he would be daft to stay though, there is a great chance for him to go to Celtic and win the league, etc, then come back to the premiership in a year or 2s time at a top half club.

I don't think he will start next season with you. The problem is that Celtic have to get the man they put out to the press or risk making themselves look very poor when they can't get him. I think he would be daft to stay though, there is a great chance for him to go to Celtic and win the league, etc, then come back to the premiership in a year or 2s time at a top half club.

Other than O'Neill no old firm manager that I can recall has come down to manage a top Premier League club. Jeez didn't whats his face, McLeish, leave Rangers to go to Birmingham?

Other than O'Neill no old firm manager that I can recall has come down to manage a top Premier League club. Jeez didn't whats his face, McLeish, leave Rangers to go to Birmingham?

No, you're a million miles away.

McLeish was sacked from Rangers after the 2005/06 season. 8 months later he took over as manager of Scotland. At the end of 2007 he left Scotland to go to Birmingham.

I wonder if Roy Keane is kicking himself taking the Ipswich job now that the Celtic job is available.

I don't think Celtic would have taken him. Maybe wrong, but I don't think so.

As for Coyle... apparently Celtic are really really broke. Going to Celtic with no money to spend is not quite as appealing as it might otherwise be. Burnley might be able to hold on....

No, you're a million miles away.

McLeish was sacked from Rangers after the 2005/06 season. 8 months later he took over as manager of Scotland. At the end of 2007 he left Scotland to go to Birmingham.

True. It will be interesting to see where Strachan ends up. My gut is that he will struggle to get any better than bottom six or seven in the Prem. Even the likes of Sunderland don't really fancy him. Saying that he may be able to get Wigan if brice oes to the Mackems.

For an Old Firm manager to land a "big" job they would need to consistently get to the last eight of the CL, or something like that. Even then it woule be more Everton or Villa than Arsenal or Man Utd.

Celtic coming in has in itself raised brand Coyle to a new level.

There will be better vacancies in the Premier League.

Not with regular CL involvment there wont.... abnd that is absolutely crucial for any top 4 wannabee.

For an Old Firm manager to land a "big" job they would need to consistently get to the last eight of the CL, or something like that. Even then it woule be more Everton or Villa than Arsenal or Man Utd.

He would have more chance of going to Villa/Everton from Celtic than he would from Burnley. Then he would need to do a good job there to get looked at in terms of Man United/Arsenal/Liverpool etc. Just like O'Neill.

Like I said earlier, the opening plays in a game that will go on for a few weeks.

That'd be even better, Coyle to leave mere days before the season begins and leave the Dingles in mayhem.

He left St Johnston a few days before their cup final so he isn't averse to jumping ship, it seems. I can't say that with full confidence or anything though, as I don't know the guy. Maybe there were mitigating circumstances.

That'd be even better, Coyle to leave mere days before the season begins and leave the Dingles in mayhem.

He left St Johnston a few days before their cup final so he isn't averse to jumping ship, it seems. I can't say that with full confidence or anything though, as I don't know the guy. Maybe there were mitigating circumstances.

Yeah, cos Celtic are likely to wait till a few days before the season to appoint a new manager in such a crucial season for them.

Its ok, i hear paul ince is available :closedeyes:

Archived