BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pre-season

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went yesterday. Poor. However it was a run out whilst SW were gearing up for the opening game. No Dunn so total absence of any quality. Samba back thank god. For the team it has little bearing onthe real action. However the starting line up yesterday will not do well on this performance. Diouf was awful again. No end product no pace no skill. Nzonzi could be an 18 year old Viera but lacks strength pace touch fitness coming from the French League and until he has will look ordinary at best. Pedersen came on and did his usual, nothing. Hollliet looked another overseas player lost.

Warnock looke. Uncomfortble at left midfield and Andrews is championship. McCarthy's career looks over and Roberts, two too his name did what he frustratingly does ever game. Argy bargy, not showing for the pass and shrugging his shoulders at the referee every couple of minutes.

Judge came on invigorated. Pocket dinamo. A man possessed and unlike Gallagher realising it's now

or never. Bustling with energy he had too little time to impress.

Gallagher was gallagher. Way above every other player for touch vision intelligence. Each pass and move thought out and purposeful. 1-2s so perfect top teams would pay £millions for. All this and so little effort. Lacking strength and pace one wonders whether the only place he'll fit in is the championship? Shame, he should be played CM where he did so well away at Chelsea 2 seasns ago.

None of the new players impressed though Rovers will have 4 new signings off

the treatment table?

Went yesterday. Poor. However it was a run out whilst SW were gearing up for the opening game. No Dunn so total absence of any quality. Samba back thank god. For the team it has little bearing onthe real action. However the starting line up yesterday will not do well on this performance. Diouf was awful again. No end product no pace no skill. Nzonzi could be an 18 year old Viera but lacks strength pace touch fitness coming from the French League and until he has will look ordinary at best. Pedersen came on and did his usual, nothing. Hollliet looked another overseas player lost.

Warnock looke. Uncomfortble at left midfield and Andrews is championship. McCarthy's career looks over and Roberts, two too his name did what he frustratingly does ever game. Argy bargy, not showing for the pass and shrugging his shoulders at the referee every couple of minutes.

Judge came on invigorated. Pocket dinamo. A man possessed and unlike Gallagher realising it's now

or never. Bustling with energy he had too little time to impress.

Gallagher was gallagher. Way above every other player for touch vision intelligence. Each pass and move thought out and purposeful. 1-2s so perfect top teams would pay £millions for. All this and so little effort. Lacking strength and pace one wonders whether the only place he'll fit in is the championship? Shame, he should be played CM where he did so well away at Chelsea 2 seasns ago.

None of the new players impressed though Rovers will have 4 new signings off

the treatment table?

So by the sounds of it we lost 5-0 then?

Bit harsh Balwar. He was only giving his opinion of the performance and one or two of the players. Maybe he wont bother again?

Sorry den and to graham too. Just sounded almost entirely negative, as though we'd been flogged. Surely there were some positives. Roberts scored two for example and almost had a third.

Sorry den and to graham too. Just sounded almost entirely negative, as though we'd been flogged. Surely there were some positives. Roberts scored two for example and almost had a third.

That's not positive. It might mean he starts in the first game...

Didn't go to the game as my lad is playing in the Yorkshire Cup junior footie tournament this weekend but interesting to learn that Sheff Wed were pacier than Rovers. That was my impression when I saw Leeds last week, who also seemed to get forward pretty fast.

I know that we are signing younger and potentially quicker players but some of our established seniors aren't exactly that quick, which is worrying.

BTW where was Dunny today? Injured or being saved for more important games?

Could our apparent lack of comparative pace be down to different fitness levels. Afterall - they are further into their pre-season than we are.

Having said that - we do have a general lack of pace in the team. There are a few players with good pace (Diouf, Emo, Warnock, Samba, Reid, Roberts) but nobody that is seriously quick. It is a worry when you compare us to some EPL teams - whose slowest players are as quick as our quickest (Arsenal spring to mind as team with good pace in virtually every position).

I don't think people should take pre-season too seriously. It's not competitive. It's mainly a chance for the players to stretch their legs. I'd panic if we were getting tonked left, right and centre, but that isn't the case. Come the new season, I'm certain we'll be competing for the top 10.

But the alleged heart of our midfield - Dunn, Grella, Emerton and Reid - are not stretching their legs at this stage, and our major signings aren't here yet with 13 days to go.

How many times have we heard players say, "I didn't get a good pre-season and was always playing catch up after that"? Well, here we are again.

But the alleged heart of our midfield - Dunn, Grella, Emerton and Reid - are not stretching their legs at this stage, and our major signings aren't here yet with 13 days to go.

How many times have we heard players say, "I didn't get a good pre-season and was always playing catch up after that"? Well, here we are again.

I may be wrong but I dont think Reid will feature much, he hasnt played for almost 2 years!!

Yup. Very worrying that none of them have had significant time on the pitch. If those four were available we would have an okay midfield. Without them it is pretty bloody abject!

Surprised we semingly haven't been able to get Reid, Dunn and Emerton fit in time for preseason with an entire summer to do it in.

What are their respective injury situations?

Emerton recently was quoted as saying he is running (including twisting and turning), and that he is getting more involved in training (presume contact work) - my guess is that he is 2 months minimum from starting for the first team. However, there is the possibility he will pick up niggles on the road to recovery (presume he will play a few reserve matches).

Dunn was involved in the early stages of pre-season but was left out at the weekend, not sure why.

Reid - heard nothing on his situation with regards to Rovers.

Hibs apparently bringing at least 2,000 on Wednesday. PNE won 3-1 at Easter Road at the week-end.

Heard 2.500 today.

Always had a soft spot for Hibs, 3rd biggest team in scotland with an incredible youth set-up(Rovers take note), problem is there chairman is a total scrooge. There playing in Jaskaliennaen testamonial for free,and all profits go to charity, this is after Barca,inter and liverpool all wanted fees for playing.

To be fair, last spring, the target for Emerton and Reid was September/October.

Not having Dunn playing v Sheffield Wednesday was an odd one- didn't see him limping or anything after the Leeds game. The total disappearance of Grella is even more peculiar.

Have to agree this pretty much sums upmy feelings on the season ahead of us, though I didn't realise until philip posted that the Emerton / Reid targets were in the autumn. We've signed no one and there seems little hope we will, it's very worrying.

As for Graham's report / opinions - it's almost exactly what I anticipated hearing so again not much improvement and with each player achieving more or less what we would expect based on previous years.

Heard 2.500 today.

Always had a soft spot for Hibs, 3rd biggest team in scotland

Hearts certainly and possibly Aberdeen too are bigger clubs than Hibs.

Disappointed to hear Emerton won't be ready for the season, and Dunn too. Having missed 2 years' and more of his career, I doubt if Reid will play for Rovers again and will be sold if he ever regains fitness.

The Man City match with their glittering array of expensive signings could be embarrassing.

Would be just like Rovers to win it.

Archived