SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nikola Kalinic

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol: anyone who went last night care to comment,grabbi or santa :huh:

:rolleyes: I'd say more of a Kalinic :o

Definate ability and growing in confidence every minute of the game last night. Created a couple of good chances for himself, will be a handful for most defenders when he gets up and running IMO.

I fully intend to "give him time" hence the "needs some work".

His input last night has been well overstated on here, he was not impressive.

well thats your thoughts, i thought he was ok last night and should warrant a starting place in the team at the weekend against Villa. What he needs now is a RUN OF GAMES!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am very disapointed that Kalanic has not been able to establish himself in a team that is struggling for goals. The best description I have heard about him is " Grabbiesque" but as I have not seen enough of him in the flesh I will reserve judgement. Sam recently alluded that some players should not be rushed into this league so I presume he is trying to protect Nico and himself as it is indeed he who spent a fortune for this lad.

We cannot afford 6 million pound flops any more so is there anyone out there who can reassure me that Nico is not another Cichio?

He really should start getting 15 minutes here and there. Today when it was looking like a defeat at 4-2 I felt he should have been brought on and told that there was no pressure just to get him used to the pace. He's never going to be ready if he doesn't get some match time.

Would be great if he could recapture his form at Hadjuk Split!

Let's hope he's more Matty Jansen (who he looks a bit like when on the pitch) than Grabbi-esque.

I am very disapointed that Kalanic has not been able to establish himself in a team that is struggling for goals. The best description I have heard about him is " Grabbiesque" but as I have not seen enough of him in the flesh I will reserve judgement. Sam recently alluded that some players should not be rushed into this league so I presume he is trying to protect Nico and himself as it is indeed he who spent a fortune for this lad.

We cannot afford 6 million pound flops any more so is there anyone out there who can reassure me that Nico is not another Cichio?

Big differences between Grabbi and Nikola is, Grabbi was at his peak 26 years of age only playing in his domestic second division and nowhere near an International player. Were as Nikola has played International football already and is only 21/22 years of age for me two big differences.

You should try to take out the £6m fee and just think about his age.

He really should start getting 15 minutes here and there. Today when it was looking like a defeat at 4-2 I felt he should have been brought on and told that there was no pressure just to get him used to the pace. He's never going to be ready if he doesn't get some match time.

Would be great if he could recapture his form at Hadjuk Split!

Let's hope he's more Matty Jansen (who he looks a bit like when on the pitch) than Grabbi-esque.

Its that reason why I am worried, obviously Sam does not rate him or he would get some time on the pitch, at first I thought or hoped it might be a fitness issue but he should be up to the mark by now so I can only presume he is not developing or has not settled into the way of life. We really should be expecting something from this lad by now.

Grabbiesque or Kevin Daviesesque might be appropriate.

Its that reason why I am worried, obviously Sam does not rate him or he would get some time on the pitch, at first I thought or hoped it might be a fitness issue but he should be up to the mark by now so I can only presume he is not developing or has not settled into the way of life. We really should be expecting something from this lad by now.

Grabbiesque or Kevin Daviesesque might be appropriate.

Really?? I'm not expecting a massive amount from him for this season, 5 goals and I'd be happy! It takes most strikers a long time to get used to this league besides the very best (Torres etc) even Drogba didn't find his best form until after his 1st year

If we brought him on today then that's technically another game without a goal and much to do. It wouldn't help his development and would probably have more of a negative impact on his career than if he played 90mins in the reserves and had a good performance.

Give him time and don't expect too much just yet. He's a player who I expect will feature more in the 2nd half of the season and next season. Any game time between now and then needs to be a learning excerise and not put too much pressure on him.

This lad has already interested both Barca and Real Madrid so there must be something about him.

He just needs a little time to adjust, he is young, he has pace and he clearly has a striking pedigree that I beleive will see him become a good goal scorer for us.

I do think that with Mccarthy injuring his ankle again today that come a week on Sunday he might just be let of the leash.

This lad has already interested both Barca and Real Madrid so there must be something about him.

He just needs a little time to adjust, he is young, he has pace and he clearly has a striking pedigree that I beleive will see him become a good goal scorer for us.

I do think that with Mccarthy injuring his ankle again today that come a week on Sunday he might just be let of the leash.

Might as well have said 2 weeks today :P

If Kalinic scored vs the Dingles I would be incredibly happy. He would be a legend!

I think the issue is upper body strength which is exceptional in the Premier League. That is not something that is fixed in six weeks from what little I know about these things.

Worryingly similar excuses were trotted out for Cichio and Kev....... Kev was homesick for Chesterfield I recall, also had a throat infection that affected him.

I am not saying Kalanic is a dud but I am a little worried hence my appeal for supportive comments, I just can't help thinking that I have heard it all before.

I am also concerned that our club with a limited budget should blow most of it on a young unproven weakling from Croatia who may at best be expected to score only five goals this season.

I really expect our big signing to be up for it from day one.

If we brought him on today then that's technically another game without a goal and much to do. It wouldn't help his development and would probably have more of a negative impact on his career than if he played 90mins in the reserves and had a good performance.

Give him time and don't expect too much just yet. He's a player who I expect will feature more in the 2nd half of the season and next season. Any game time between now and then needs to be a learning excerise and not put too much pressure on him.

I was just saying he's not going to get better without experience. His confidence must be suffering a little already with not getting match-time and people like Roberts and McCarthy getting in ahead of him.

I think some people (not you Tim) are being a bit unfair on him on this thread if I'm honest. The guy has seen little match-time since he's been here. It's not like a Kevin Davies situation where he's in every week and consistently under-performs.

If he doesnt rate him why pay big money for him? bit late to change his mind.

I think there is a lot to Phillipl's point about bulking up. That will be where he will be doing most of his work.

I think we will probably see him again in the Chelsea game when Di Santo can't play.

Personally I have found him deeply unimpressive when I have seen him play, but there is something about him which makes me think he can turn it around.

The one issue for me is, unless he gets a lot stronger, he isn't a lone striker kind of guy. If that's the case it is hard to see how we will accomodate him in our current set up which seems pretty permanent to me.

When he played in the match where he missed a few sitters i think it was against blunderland to me he looked good, good first touch, good positioning very aware of his surroundings, on the day i think nerves got the better of him, but i think its very much like phillip said, his upper body needs way more bulking up to be able to shrug players off.

He certainly wont be the kind of player who fits the lone striker role, if played with another striker im confident he will be a good signing.

Archived