BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Would You Rather Play For Rovers Or Chelsea?

Mr. E

Blackburn v Chelsea  

164 members have voted

1. 1. See Below

• Blackburn
    • Chelsea

• Backroom

Who said that? Please don't put words in people mouths..

I think the fact that Mr E put supporters in inverted commas in the original post implies this did it not?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all those calling it greed to go for the money, if you were offered next week's lottery OR next week's score draws, which would you pick:

1) £1 million on the football pools,

OR

2) £6 million on the lottery?

Btw, T4E is spot on about the moral high ground being easy to take when you aren't actually being offered the cash - or equally if you're a teenager full of ideals about life and no financial responsibilities. (Those were the days!)

For all those calling it greed to go for the money, if you were offered next week's lottery OR next week's score draws, which would you pick:

1) £1 million on the football pools,

OR

2) £6 million on the lottery?

Btw, T4E is spot on about the moral high ground being easy to take when you aren't actually being offered the cash - or equally if you're a teenager full of ideals about life and no financial responsibilities. (Those were the days!)

Again, I don't see who's talking about morality here.

The question is very simple and really doesn't take that much analysis. Do you care about Blackburn Rovers enough so that you would turn down bigger money to play for someone else, or does your desire for greater sums of money/better chance at silverwhere or fame overcome this affinity? It's not a crime against humanity if you pick the latter, plenty of people do. As the poll suggests though, many (most) would rather stay at Rovers. There's no need to complicate it.

Also let's not make guesses about who'se current financial situation is better or worse, as mine is currently far from good, if that's what you want to know.

Again, I don't see who's talking about morality here.

The question is very simple and really doesn't take that much analysis. Do you care about Blackburn Rovers enough so that you would turn down bigger money to play for someone else, or does your desire for greater sums of money/better chance at silverwhere or fame overcome this affinity? It's not a crime against humanity if you pick the latter, plenty of people do. As the poll suggests though, many (most) would rather stay at Rovers. There's no need to complicate it.

Also let's not make guesses about who'se current financial situation is better or worse, as mine is currently far from good, if that's what you want to know.

Not making any comment whatsoever on your financial position.

You are mixing up supporting your club with the choice you would make if football was your job. It is perfectly acceptable for a Rovers fan to play for Chelsea.

Your angle on this is that would make you less of a supporter, which is - with respect - cobblers.

It's easy to say the things being said on this thread when you aren't faced with the actual situation. It doesn't mean a lot IMO.

Just to add another spin on the debate, if Chelsea were offering you 120k a week, what sort of transfer fee do you think Rovers would be in line for? Upwards of 20m I should imagine. Rovers would be pushing you out of the door. Those that say that not only would they want to stay, but they would ask for a payrise, are in a dreamworld.

An alternative spin might be to refuse to sign a new contract with BRFC, run the old one down, offer to sign a four year deal for Chelsea (or anybody else anywhere) for a signing on fee based on 50% of market value (10m) with a 6m pa salary. Total package 34m or in simple terms £170,000 pw. Lovely jubbly.

'This time next year Rodders we'll be millionaires..........'

Still Chelsea by a country mile for me. I'd even sign on for chocky's deal at Burnley.

In this increasingly complex hypothetical situation I would never care enough about a football club to turn down a massive pay rise somewhere more successful.

I don't get this notion of "caring for the club". At the end of the day it's a business.

Mr. E, still no answer? That stunner is getting restless.

If I was that good that Chelsea would me 120k a week, how would rovers keep hold of me?

How much difference would I make to Rovers if I stayed? Not much, I'd wager (although quite frankly, I'm outrageously talented, that's what the girls say).

It's juvenile wish fulfillment to say you'd play for Rovers. Like Sean Bean in WSC (great cheesy movie, that one).

I'd play for Chelsea, not so that I can provide for my children's children, but so that I could do unspreakably depraved things with prostitutes.

I'd play for Chelsea, not so that I can provide for my children's children, but so that I could do unspreakably depraved things with prostitutes.

I don't think you need 120k pw to do that Bryan. I'd bet £20 could get you all that in Blackburn! But hey with that sort of money never mind some scabby old growler on the batter around Bank Top you could prob bonk every supermodel in christendom.

I would choose Blackburn. Seeing as it is never going to happen, you can't say that I am lying either. As it stands today, I could quite likely be doing a job where I get paid far more than I currently am. However, the job I am doing I enjoy and it is where I have wanted to be all my life.

Anyone who assumes I am lying to myself has not learnt the lessons in life that I have - mainly that the grass is always greener and the 'the pursuit of happiness' means you first must understand what will actually bring you happiness. While we all have a need for money, I am quite happy with what I earn now.

Having said that, I may use Chelsea's interest to wrangle a rise to 25k a week! ;)

Fact is that the majority of players you'll ask will tell you they care more about playing football than playing for a specific club. As a player you would always want to play with the best players and with the best team, if at all possible. We're not talking about whether or not you should do a job you love, or a job that gives you the most money, it's the SAME job just at different clubs. In any job you would want to work with some of the best people in the field and learn from them and help them and so on. Why would you settle for less?

And not to put down any of the people living in Blackburn, but given the choice of living in a big city like London is likely a LOT more appealing to players than living somewhere like Blackburn, especially when you have family and you think they'll be happier and have more things to do in a bigger city. There's just so many factors to consider, but you would unlikely stick with Rovers, if Chelsea came knocking on your door.

Anyone who assumes I am lying to myself has not learnt the lessons in life that I have - mainly that the grass is always greener and the 'the pursuit of happiness' means you first must understand what will actually bring you happiness. While we all have a need for money, I am quite happy with what I earn now.

You're forgetting that football is not a job for life. You're done by your mid-thirties with plenty of time still left to go and do what you want to do.

Money is not everything, but money in the bank brings peace of mind.

I've had my backside hanging out of my trousers and holes in my socks; I've also had a wallet full of dough. I know which one I prefer. and I'm not especially materialistic.

Freedom, that's what all the poor souls doing the same commute and job for 40 years are desperate for.

You kiddin? It's only 22 grown men kicking a bag of wind about for an hour and a half when all is said and done! :tu:

Get away! Really BRFC4Eva? Well I never. ^_^

Next time around I'm gonna be a footballers agent! They are so thick that Mr 20% would be the player.

Thank you Mr Smartarse. The point I was trying to make-which has now been echoed later in the thread is that whilst 20k a weeks sounds small compared to 120k a week, its a life changing salary of £1m a yr would make you very comfotably off!

Just an added question to those who would only ever play for Rovers. Would you terminate your contract if you had a career ending injury 3 months into a 5 year contract?

if you had a career ending injury your contract would be terminated. That's what the players and the clubs insurance is for.

Are you trying to ask what would you do if you were in the likes of Stephen Reid's shoes? If so I would carry on rehabilitation and work to regain fitness and get back in the fold. Until I had another setback of course.

I think the key thing is it is never as simple as that. There would be a million ever changing factors in anyones life. You can love a job this year, hate a job next year, personal circumstances change, the working environment changes.

Thats kind of why this is a pointless (but entertaining) thread! You cannot reduce a constant ever changing assessment of where you are going to work to a single decision. I doubt very few footballers are certian where they will play the season after next, let alone the rest of their career.

While that is true, if, in order to play for Chelsea, I'd have to leave my family behind in Blackburn, then I wouldn't do it. Similarly, if I had to take two young children out of their schools and away from their friends, I wouldn't. Almost a million a year is so much money that you could afford to make decisions like this and live comfortably the rest of your life.

Are you trying to ask what would you do if you were in the likes of Stephen Reid's shoes? If so I would carry on rehabilitation and work to regain fitness and get back in the fold. Until I had another setback of course.

Or as in Dean Ashtons case. Also if my career ending injury was related to a set of injuries I had in past I doubt it would be covered by insurance.

if you had a career ending injury your contract would be terminated. That's what the players and the clubs insurance is for.

Absolutely. You can bet your bottom dollar Steven Reid wishes he had gone to Man United when it was mooted 3 summers ago.

It's amazing how many people on here would do the 'moral' thing yet how often do we see it in the real game?

This leads me to believe it is 100% different in practice than in theory

Exactamundo.

We still haven't come up with a single example of a footballer who turned down 3x salary to stay where he is...

That rather highlights this as complete fantasy!

Exactamundo.

We still haven't come up with a single example of a footballer who turned down 3x salary to stay where he is...

Shearer would have had more money if he'd chosen ManUre over us.....and that's the closest we'll get I think.

£20k or £120k isn't really a just comparison.

If Rovers had a player who Chelsea were willing to pay £120,000 a week to, I'm pretty sure we could give them somewhere between £50k-£60k p/w.

£20k or £120k is a complete no brainer for me. I think I'd have a much harder choice between the more realistic decision of £60k or £120k though.

£20k or £120k isn't really a just comparison.

If Rovers had a player who Chelsea were willing to pay £120,000 a week to, I'm pretty sure we could give them somewhere between £50k-£60k p/w.

£20k or £120k is a complete no brainer for me. I think I'd have a much harder choice between the more realistic decision of £60k or £120k though.

I know where you are coming from and everyone to their own, but it's still a no brainer to me. If someone was to double my salary I'd be off like a flash. The more you get, the more you want.

Exactamundo.

We've talked about Brad Friedel, then there is John Terry (City wanted to more than double his salary), Henrik Larson who stayed almost until the end of his career with Celtic in the Scottish league, Alan Shearer who went to Newcastle when he had the world at his feet, Kaka who turned down Man City before he was sold as a necessity to Real. And how about Pele?

edit: Or to take an example from management, how about our very own John Williams? I've heard he's been offered the job at much bigger clubs, presumably for a great deal more money. Is he illogical too for sticking with us?

What do all these players have in common? They are considered legends for the clubs they played for and will not be forgotten any time soon. Sure they've made some good money anyway, but had they taken the other offers they may have made a lot more. Not to mention that these are just the famous examples, because you can't account for the deals that are never really given media attention.

One last point - if all this "loyalty" stuff is just fantasy, then why do so many players today still kiss the badge or talk about how much they love the fans? Even if they are lying, certainly they are basing these lies on something real that the fans at least believe in.

Archived