BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham Vs Rovers

So many utter idiots on this board when we loose.

Can anybody inform me what Grella actually does in the team, what is his role?

Besided adding nothing.

He was bloody fantastic in the first half. Strayed the balls around and won almost every ball going forward for Fulham. The commentators on TV said that he was very good at ball wining and also played some very neat passes. Stop saying stupid things like that if you are not watching the game.

Our squad is very weak.

That is ridicilous. Imo we have one of the strongest squads in a long time. We have a very young and exciting squad with prospects like Kalinic and Hoilett. We have very good back four and good depth in the midfield region.

Andrews is a curse and should be sent back to Bogtrotterland.

Another idiotic post from someone who didnt see the game and as someone said before just proves the point that there is no point discussing Andrews as he will never get credit no matter what he does. He had a good first half with some neat passing and ballwinning action.

I feel bad for saying this but I wouldn't mind if Andrews had a long term injury. I like him, but as a Rovers player he is so poor it's unbelievable.

You like him, but as a Rovers player he is poor? Explain please.

And how the #### can you wish some of our players gets a long term injury. moron.

Why did he pick that team after a decent win against Bolton???

Emerton was injured and Grella is better than Nzonzi. Simples.

A game that, in a nutshell, demonstrated the vast difference in class between Emerton and N'Zonzi and the shameful Grella and Andrews.

Grella, Andrews and Diouf aren't, and never will be, good enough for our club.

I rest my case.

Kalinic did dive, there was shoulder contact but he went down like his legs were took,

He didnt dive. He was shuffled by the Fulham defender and slipped. Everyone who has played football knows that stuff like this can happen without being a cheater.

Where was Bert tonight? Injured or benched?

Oh who cares? It's all the managers fault. I'm off to slit my wrists.

Diouf, Grella, Pedersen, Roberts, Andrews, Nelsen, Salgado, Robinson, McCarthy, Kalinic,Eddie Van Halen, Doran, Andrews (yes twice) and that other one should never play for the club again as we slip to 13th.

Go support someother team. You hardly like Rovers as you want rid of our entire squad.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree that Robbo shouldn't be beaten at his near post but at least Nelsen tried to make a challenge, I didn't see any other defenders making a challenge did you?

The reason Nevland was able to get in, unmarked and score was because Nelsen's missed tackle meant that he was lying on the floor, while Nevland had absolutely no one on him and was free to shoot. It was disappointing because Nelsen was very good at the back prior to that.

having seen the goals on sky this morning...

1st goal - Robinson, no excuse being beaten at near post. Too many goals go in that shouldn't.

2nd goal - Deflection or not, Dempsey should never have been able to steal in where he did.

3rd goal - Keith, what were you doing?

our away form/results are pathetic. teams must love it when we come to town, easy three points. We never seem to be edged out in a game, we get thumped for 3 and 4.

learn how to defend for petes sake

Thanks for the various posts. I did not see or listen to the match but only followed the score which was very dissapointing. You feel that Fulham, even away, is a fixture that we should get something from if we are to have a good season where good = 7 to 10th. I have to say from reading the posts I am not sure whether to be mildly optimistic, really worried or to slit my wrists now. :wacko:

Go support someother team. You hardly like Rovers as you want rid of our entire squad.

I was actually agreeing with you Alexanders. Point being that when we win this entire board appears to have taken happy pills. Lose, and don't get me wrong it was a bad score line, and it's a fight to find the right scapegoat. They all get slagged off.

I actually blame McDonald and his 50% lose ratio.

Wow, you really can't grasp irony can you?

Thank you shillito.

Honestly though, where was Emerton? Injured? Apologies if I've missed it.

Can't believe we lost 3 nil, we really missed Big Sam today. Feel we needed to make subs earlier and sadly we made the wrong ones. If your planning to play hoof ball for the last half an hour why take off Roberts and di santo. Have to say Di Santo cannot finish I'm sure Chelsea will agree to let him go. I think it's safe to say now we've been robbed of 6 million with Kalanic, never a premiership player might become something in years to come but it won't be in a Rovers shirt. No positives from the game, As normal we follow a good performance with a awful one.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll take winning home games and picking up the odd points here and there away. Winning away at places like Bolton, Hull etc and getting the odd draw here and there is ok. Winning at home is most important for me. Let's not go overboard on the criticism, winning away from home is much harder that at home. If we get battered by a mid-table side at home, or worse, then it's time to really complain but I wouldn't put so much emphasis on the away game losses and make comments like 'we have a weak side with no depth' or worse. The performance might not have been the best second half but don't make it sound like we had Ince in charge...(This is a general comment and not aimed at anyone in particular before someone takes offence...)

Tris you didn't appear on here when we won at Bolton! We should have won it in the first half which we totally dominated

I do apologise - I was away all weekend, went home for a few hours and then have been away since Monday again ... I must pay more attention to this MB.

I did manage to see the Bolton game on TV (my match ticket went unused) - and all I would say is thank goodness there are teams in this league which are that poor. Against Bolton, we did play well and deserved the result - it's just as well because we will need those points.

We didn't totally dominate the first half last night. We had a lot of the ball, but seemed incapable of doing anything with it. I said to someone at h/t, it's like watching cricket. You can glance up from the newspaper once every couple of minutes and may see something interesting (like a throw in), but in between time, there's nothing to watch.

It was really really poor yesterday, I've slept on it and I'm still fuming. What a waste of 30 quid, and an entire evening.

Fulham have a proper manager in Roy Hodgson. It's a total contrast - Hodgson varies his tactics, has a game plan for every fixture, and gets performances and results from poor to average players (Dempsey anyone?)

But Allardyce leaves our best players out of the team, plays formations and selections that don't work and his inevitably crap plan A is only backed up by a panic button reaction.

Football shouldn't be like this.

Roy Hodgson was sacked by Rovers 10 years ago because he wasn't good enough.

Funny how you disappear on here after Rovers played well and won at Bolton.

And unless I missed it, it's also funny how you were one of the few not to wish the manager all the best for his impending operation.

Genuine supporters shouldn't be like this.

Roy Hodgson was sacked by Rovers 10 years ago because he wasn't good enough.

Funny how you disappear on here after Rovers played well and won at Bolton.

And unless I missed it, it's also funny how you were one of the few not to wish the manager all the best for his impending operation.

Genuine supporters shouldn't be like this.

Roy Hodgson is one of the best coaches around - sacking him turned out to be a mistake.

This MB is not a public greetings card. If I want to wish someone well (or offer condolonces, or whatever) then I will do so in private and in person or by mail.

Rather than offering up meaningless utterings in an internet site, which will never be read by the intended recipient. But if it makes you feel good, you carry on, I'm sure people will press the little green button in the corner for you to make you feel even better.

We didn't have 3 chances from where I was sat in the Putney End. The Golden Boy from Argentina has clearly been training with Roberts too much, because he had far too long to mess up the one obvious chance early on, and the failed attempt to score was pure Jason Roberts.

The ref was no better or worse than any other ref in any other fixture. Didn't even notice him to be honest.

Fulham showed better application and intelligence because they were better prepared, and knew their roles. They have a proper manager in Roy Hodgson. It's a total contrast - Hodgson varies his tactics, has a game plan for every fixture, and gets performances and results from poor to average players (Dempsey anyone?)

But Allardyce leaves our best players out of the team, plays formations and selections that don't work and his inevitably crap plan A is only backed up by a panic button reaction.

The extent of the problem won't become apparent until next seasons STs go on sale - at whatever price, cheapest or most expensive in the league. The hard core will always be there and hats off to them.

I fear that thousands of others - tempted by the great prices this season - will choose once again to stay well away from Ewood Park on Saturdays - even if it was free - because right now it's like watching a painful divorce in slow motion. Football shouldn't be like this.

We didn't totally dominate the first half last night. We had a lot of the ball, but seemed incapable of doing anything with it. I said to someone at h/t, it's like watching cricket. You can glance up from the newspaper once every couple of minutes and may see something interesting (like a throw in), but in between time, there's nothing to watch.

It was really really poor yesterday, I've slept on it and I'm still fuming. What a waste of 30 quid, and an entire evening.

Sorry Tris, but I disagree with much of what you say.

The first half was exactly how you'd want your team to perform away from home. We kept posession in good areas of the pitch, passed the ball along the floor and created chances. Away from home against a side as defensively sound as Fulham, you're not going to create numerous glaring opportunities to score, and it's vital that, when you are gifted one, you put it away (Di Santo). Just as importantly, however, the way we won the ball back when we did give it away was absolutely outstanding (thanks largely to Grella). It meant that Fulham couldn't get their passing game going, nor string more than a couple of passes together at a time. Unfortunately we suffered a sucker punch right at the close of the half that was conmpletely against the run of play.

The second half, I don't know what happened. The number of times our players had options open but chose instead to lump it aimlessly over the striker's heads and back to the Fulham defenders / keeper was frustrating, to say the least. We were terrible.

Still Allardyce has demonstrated that he is able to mix it up when circumstances dictate. People were calling for 4-4-2 before the game, but we still lost. Personally, I'd always play five across the midfield against Fulham at the Cottage. In certain respects, there is no winning as far as a manager is concerned.

In terms of STs. Well, you have to remember that Allardyce is delivering at home, and that is what will ultimately win over the fans / keep them on side. The football may not be as attractive as in past seasons, but the results are the most important thing.

By the way, I thought Andrews was actually one of our better players first half. Second, he was absolute cack, mind.

Coming back from London last night our discussions about the match didn't centre on the manager or systems but on the players. We have players who are paid a good wage to compete for 90 minutes and, sadly, far too many of them seem incapable of doing that.

We dominated the first forty minutes but never really threatened the Fulham goal. We have two good chances but Di Santo and Roberts were unable to take them. Fulham had once chance and finished it in clinical fashion.

I found it worrying that having dominated the match our four midfield players were unable to carve out more than a couple of chances. Passing the ball back and across the pitch is all well and good but we were unable to play the ball into the forwards behind the Fulham defence. Our lack of pace in midfield is a real worry. We don't have one player with the legs to go past a player, get to the dead ball line and then whip in a centre to worry the defence. I would now like to see Olsson being given a run on the left wing. At least he has pace. I would have suggested Hoilett, but his dire performances in the last two reserve matches suggest that he does not see his future at Ewood Park.

The second half was as poor a performance as I've seen in a long time from a Rovers team. Against Chelsea and Arsenal our collapse was understandable when you looked at the quality of the opposition. Last night, Fulham had an off night and still hammered us 3-0. Too many players faded as the game went on. Andrews is not up to the job and Grella struggles for pace and gives away too many free-kicks. While I would agree that both were reasonable in the first half - and no more than that - both were very poor in the second period. Dunny is nowhere near as dangerous playing in a 4-4-2 system. He lacks the pace to get up and down the pitch for 90 minutes and ends up dropping deeper and deeper as the game goes on. Diouf, who I felt contributed a great deal last season, is struggling and needs to be replaced. This is where I would like to see Olsson given a run.

Our strike force looks very poor. Di Santo, despite his miss, was the pick of our front men. His non-stop running and closing down of defenders was something that one or two others might have tried to copy. Roberts, once again, spent much of the evening on the floor moaning at the referee. How we need a centre-forward like Kevin Davies. Someone who can stand up to defenders, win the ball and then lay it off to colleagues. When Benni came on he didn't look interested while Kalinic continues to disappoint.

Our defence looks increasingly fragile when put under pressure but, once again, they get little support from the midfield. I think the brilliance of Friedel covered over a number of these defensive frailties but Robinson is no Friedel and we are now conceding goals at an alarming rate, particularly away from Ewood Park.

Defeats like this put increased pressure on the team to win at home and after last night's performance I'm not overly optimistic about beating Stoke.

Having watched the latest of some indifferent performances by the Reserves on Monday and this shambles last night, I believe that there needs to be a major overhaul of the squad in the summer. We are carrying too much deadwood, particularly in the Reserves.

Also, how nice would it have been to have Tugay on the bench last night? He's worth having in the squad purely for games situations like those.

I know what you mean but our bench looked awesome last night. Plenty of options, with a mix of youth and experience. Perhaps you could question why half of them weren't on the pitch.

RIML with regards to Nelsen, I do love his commitment and attitude on the pitch, but IMO he dives in for challenges too easily when he'd probably be best to stay on his feet and press the opposition.

I cant believe i am saying this but andrews in the first half was probably one of our better players grella seemed to do well also, whatever happened to them in the second half can only be described as a tactic failure.

Fulham were awful first half and improved "a little" the second half - that's what happened. It doesn't take much to overwhelm those two.

I would never want to see either Andrews or Grella in our line up again. One of them has no idea whatsoever but can run around a bit, while the other has a bit of idea but can't run at all.

I've thought about this - the subs should of happend on sixty minutes or so, and we should have brought on McCarthy and Nzonzi for Andrews and Diouf. Then we should have rearranged the side like this:

-------------------Roberts-------Di Santo

--------------------------McCarthy

---------------Grella------------------Dunn

----------------------------NZonzi

Chimbonda----Nelsen---Samba----Jacobsen

---------------------------Robinson

Our midfield was better than theirs (a pretty shocking indictment of Fulham) and we would have coped with bringing on the extra striker. Also NZonzi's athleticism in the middle was sorely needed as legs were tiring. Kalinic could then of come on around 70-75 for one of Roberts or Di Santo. We needed McCarthy to sit behind the front two and create. I really hope NZonzi and Emerton come back in on Sat.

We also need a player who offers genuine width in January as all of our wide players like to play narrow, and a left back.

I was furious when I saw the selection but I hold my hand up.

It appears that Andrews and Grella were our best players according to those who went.

Sounds like Di Santo knocked a few millions off his asking price last night.. we hope!

Fulham have made quite a habit of being played off the park then spanking the opposition at Craven Cottage this season. We were just the latest victims.

Still mega frustrating not to have taken advantage of our game in hand and in fact have our rubbish goal difference made even worse. The defeats at Everton and Fulham were seriously bad and pretty identical in the way they unfurled.

Not a good day for Allardyce/McDonald and anyone expoecting a walk in the park because it is "only" Stoke at the weekend has a rude awakening coming.

Good post Parsonblue - i think a lot of rovers fans know that the team needs a radical overhaul. I cant see how the overhaul will happen in the summer though as we hardly have enough to keep going never mind buying new players. And if we do sell, how much we get for our current crop, I aint gonna hold out for much money to be honest.

We didn't have 3 chances from where I was sat in the Putney End. The Golden Boy from Argentina has clearly been training with Roberts too much, because he had far too long to mess up the one obvious chance early on, and the failed attempt to score was pure Jason Roberts.

The ref was no better or worse than any other ref in any other fixture. Didn't even notice him to be honest.

Fulham showed better application and intelligence because they were better prepared, and knew their roles. They have a proper manager in Roy Hodgson. It's a total contrast - Hodgson varies his tactics, has a game plan for every fixture, and gets performances and results from poor to average players (Dempsey anyone?)

The extent of the problem won't become apparent until next seasons STs go on sale - at whatever price, cheapest or most expensive in the league. The hard core will always be there and hats off to them.

I fear that thousands of others - tempted by the great prices this season - will choose once again to stay well away from Ewood Park on Saturdays - even if it was free - because right now it's like watching a painful divorce in slow motion. Football shouldn't be like this.

Tris the attendance last night for a attractive club with a 'proper' manager instead of our 'fat slug' and apparently committed to entertaining football with a huge huge hinterland of potential support was 21400. Our average is 25500.

You are relatively close to John Willams, do you discuss this with him? Surely he's quite aware of and very comfortable with with the above stats isn't he?

Robinson back to his "best" during the last few games. It seems every shot on target is going in.

Every low shot. He lacks the athleticism to get down quickly enough. I may be looking through star spangled glasses but I'd have expected Freidel to have save 2 out of our last 4 Prem goals conceded.

Every low shot. He lacks the athleticism to get down quickly enough. I may be looking through star spangled glasses but I'd have expected Freidel to have save 2 out of our last 4 Prem goals conceded.

Thing is, he could have saved the opener quite easily with his legs last night without having to get down. However he chose to kind of dive over the ball :wacko: .

I would never want to see either Andrews or Grella in our line up again. One of them has no idea whatsoever but can run around a bit, while the other has a bit of idea but can't run at all.

Same here. I never imagined we would see those two paired in midfield again. I can't believe we dismantled the core of our win over Bolton. Was Nzonzi carrying a knock or something?

I know Grella & Andrews did alright in the first half, but once Fulham stepped up a gear they lost control of the game.

Archived