BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Chelski

Perhaps...we will have to wait and see I guess.

That is a huge number of tickets for Utd to give away, that is 16% of the capacity of the stadium although perhaps it wasn't that attractive to their fans who are used to bigger games. Working on that percentage though you would be looking at 6'720 tickets for Villa Park.

What is the capacity for Ewood?

Well done that man. In that case you will be getting circa 6300 for Villa Park.

don't wish to p*** on everyone's chips but does noone remember last time we played at Old Trafford in the League Cup semi in 2006? we were allocated the whole top tier behind the goal and the usual corner, we sold about 2/3rds of the top tier and didnt need the corner. So thats around 4k.

So for us to be talking about taking 7k to Birmingham on a midweek night may not happen (though I would love it to!)

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have the right to ask for 15% as previously stated, however it could also be the case that Villa would say a section of those tickets would not be on a sale or return basis, so Rovers may settle for less.

We will probably end up with around 3000,

Any less, then we should give priority to those season ticket holders who went to 2 of the previous games and there would be no problems.

its in the interests of both teams to have as small an away allocation as possible. I also sincerely doubt that the tickets would be reduced. Perhaps the FA Cup 3rd round game will be though, as I think we wont take too many there at all.

The situation as it stands now is that you will be offered the upper Witton corner and the upper North as a given, working out at just over 5000. The only reason you’d have more or indeed less is because you asked for an increase/decrease.

The evening after the night before and one can not just stop smiling, its like the mouse who got the peice fo cheese from under the nose of the big fat cat.

I have read the reports, listened to the radio pundits on talk sport all day and watched the highlights. All offer a different view on last nights game.

What we Rovers fans saw last night was simply a fantastic footballing night at Ewood.

To beat Chelsea on penalties was the stuff made of dreams but in all reality noone could have moaned if Rovers had won by several goals before we had the agoney/ecstacy of penalty warfare.

To a man Rovers were team who set out to upset the apple cart. Yes, Chelsea had a second string out but it still contained a midfield many clubs can only dream of added with international players in defence and quality up front in Kalou.

The manner in which they set off was to be quite honest unbelievable and then to score with a fantastic team goal that reeked of effort set the pulses racing. Watching Kalinic end the move with a goal was great, the lad showed true finishing instinct after good work by Chimbonda down the flank.

The rest of the half had Rovers all over Chelsea like a rash, they didnt like it and I suppose the only downside was that Rovers couldnt find the second goal. there was simply no way Rovers would be allowed to dominate this Chelsea team in the second 45 minutes.

And so it came, a 3 player exchange at half time saw Diver dogbreath enter the fray. A new Chelsea team were on the hunt for quick goals and they quickly got them courtesy of two Rovers mistakes. Firstly Emerton dived in allowing a free cross and DD headed home. 5 minutes or so later losing the ball in midfield cost us as Kalou was let free to beat Robbo with ease. At 2-1 down with 40 mins to go, Rovers were staring down the barrell as the fans lost all shred of the confidence showed some 20 minutes earlier.

What happened though wasnt in the script. Again Rovers regrouped and went hell for leather at Chelsea who by this time had hit the cruise button. Emerton slapped in a cross and kalinic went or it which clearly confused Hilario as the ball bounced high and mighty into the net. 2-2 game most definately on.

As Kalou left the game Chelsea were down to 10 men but still with an inordinate amount of quality on show. Rovers continued to go at Chelsea as they introduced Hoilet an Elrio as well as bulking the middle with Grella taking his place in midfield. Despite a man advantage and some wayward finishing the game went into extra time. Could Rovers continue to stretch this Chelsea team into submission ?

Two or three minutes into ET, a penalty was given to Rovers. Up stepped the Mac 3-2 Rovers, game definately on. I honestly thought that we had scored far too early. Despite this Rovers controlled the game and opened up Chelsea time and time again however despite this Chelsea always looked dangerous down the left flank.

As we went into the second half of ET we were actually comfortable. Chelsea looked tired and beaten as Rovers attacked at will. Seriously bad misses by Hoilett ensured a nailbiter to the end as dogbreath fell under a Samba tackle. Then as the clock licked 120 minutes you guessed it. A free kick, needless free kick, sent the ball into the box. Robbo only had to catch or swing his big fist at the ball but flapped instead. The ball fell to the Chelsea right back who placed his shot into the top corner. 3-3 penalties a certainty.

The final whistle saw Chelsea fans greet it like they had won the Champs League whilst the Rovers fans waited for their fate. With Chelsea buoyed by the last gasp goal there was only going to be 1 winner. Samba and Benni, assisted by Chimbonda all had a nibble at Hoilett as they clearly thought the big chance to progress to a semi final had gone when it could easily have been won with upteen golden chances for Rovers to take the spoils. I think the look on his face said it all as he looked at the big screen.

So penalties it was. Benni, Emerton and Grella all succeeded with 3 out of 3. Bollock the nasty missed to a superb save from Robbo whilst the other two notched to make it 3-2 Rovers. The lad next to me said it looked like Kalinic didnt have the fire in his step as he approached the area, he was right as Hilario saved a weak penalty. Chelseas next penalty made it all square. 3-3 with 1 penalty to go for each team. Junior, in the knowledge that he would be the villain if Rovers exited the cup, strolled forward. A superb and confident finish blew away the doubts as Rovers went 4-3 up. Every credit to the young lad he showed some serious bottle. Chelseas hopes rested on the young shoulders of Kakuta, the young lad that hid the healines for all the wrong reasons earlier this year and the sole reuslt of the so called transfer embargo instilled on Chelsea prior to their appeal. He looked very nervous as he strode to the spot, a sign of responsibility but more importantly the last step on the Chelsea win all four trophies scenario. He slammed the ball almost straight at Robbo who stopped the ball and beat it out.

Ewood erupted and Chelsea went home out of the cup. Villa were drawn to Ewood, Wembley awaits the winners.

Robbo - fantastic penalty saves only blighted by the horrendous cock up in the 119th minute.

Chimbonda - all action and solid.

Salgado - this is what we paid for. Solid

Nelsen and Samba - solid for most. Struggled with DD at the beginning but snuffed him out.

nZonzi - fantastic effort from the lad. Ran all night.

MGP - in and out but more improved on recent games.

Emerton - another good display.

Benni - back to his best but showed touches of his former slef with some lazy football.

Roberts - snuffed out for the most and not alert enough.

Kalinic - my MOTM. Great all round effort from start to finish.

subs

Grella - gave away possession in the middle too often.

Hoilett - fantastic turn of pace, poor finishing but bottle for the penalty.

Elrio - again solid against the waiting champions.

tactics/formation - well what a change and what a result. I wonder just what Liverpool make of it.

Whatever it is, I really enjoyed the game, the atmosphere and the result of course. I wont count the chickens but for me drawing Villa at home first is probably the best way it could be for Rovers. January will see us and Villa exchange 3 games in 2 weeks. For me, the outcome has to be lose in the FA Cup, a win at home in the Carling Cup first leg with a draw in the return.

Thats all I want for Christmas Santa, now please, theres a large brandy in it for you under the tree.

Seem to recall Rovers taking 9,000 to OT in 2003 and 7,000-ish to Hillsborough in 2002. I assume we'd be entitled to something similar at VP?

Can't see too many trekking down for the FA Cup tie now...hopefully a fantastic following for the CC match though.

I massively regret not going last night but it was a "no-go", well-done to everyone who got down there and was handsomely rewarded!

Hillsborough was free coach travel which definitely boosted the following.

Not had chance to be on here since yesterday but what a night! Utterly brilliant from Rovers.

Highlights for me were Nzonzi putting Cole in his pocket all first half. I've never seen such an accomplished midfield performance for one so young. Grella coming on and continually nicking the ball off Chelsea midfielders worth many times what we paid for him. Nico playing a blinder and scoring a very well worked goal. Emo, well he was brilliant all match and I hope the goal is his because he deserved it. Benni scoring a pen in normal time and then belting one in the top corner at the end and having a great game in a midfield/striker-in-th-hole role. The entire team did everything they were asked to do and were magnificent. Finally, Robbo brilliantly saving Ballacks penalty. Robbo is a top quality goal keeper. He might have made one mistake which was capitalised on but he more than made up for it in the match itself (saving from Drogba was one) and topped it off with winning the match for us on pens. That one penalty save should have won a lot of doubters over on it's own.

It took me AGES to get to sleep last night. What a night, what a buzz...

I think it was said on the radio lastnight but Robbo dived to his left for all 5 pens and saved 2.

Did he make up his mind to do this before the shootout or was it the way he was reading the run up.

Whatever the case, the probabilty of diving to the same corner actually increases the chance of at least saving one.

Well, Im not rooting out the rule book cos I cannot be bothered, but I suspect you are wrong.

United gave Derby County 12000 tickets last season. They wouldnt do that if they didnt have to.

I changed my mind, the minimum for the other rounds is 15%, it doesnt refer to the semi final's, but see above on United v Derby

Did you notice that United had 20,000 EMPTY SEATS for the Spurs cup game mid week.

A huge amount by Man U's standard maybe times they are a changing at Old Trafford.

Does anybody mention the fact that Rovers played with TEN men for about ten minutes in the second half when NzonZi went off after a clash of heads.

It seems the press are focusing on Chelsea being down to ten men but not Rovers.

The team spirit shown during this period was most impressive, everyone pulled together and they played like there was a true belief in one another, so, so good to witness this kind of spirit and committment.

Arte et labore

At last an attacking, exciting performance with creative players all over the pitch, not least at full back.

My MOM was Salgado, with Bert mk. 3 a close runner up.

Please no more long ball stuff Sam.

Nothing wrong with long ball as long as it's mixed up with the other stuff. Best goal against us was Torres's moment of genius after being supplied by a big boot from Carragher from his own half. Course some from the massed ranks of big club brown nosers would describe that as an intelligent and incisive through ball.

Nothing wrong with long ball as long as it's mixed up with the other stuff. Best goal against us was Torres's moment of genius after being supplied by a big boot from Carragher from his own half. Course some from the massed ranks of big club brown nosers would describe that as an intelligent and incisive through ball.

Quite right. All good teams know how to mix it up. It's when we play one-dimensional ###### that problems occur.

Absolutely brilliant last night - best 10 quid I've ever spent! Flew in from Zurich for this and the Liverpool game. No sympathy whatsoever for the stay aways who missed the game of the last few seasons. Most folk have to fork out 10 quid every fortnight to see top flight football (Colchester, Bury, Darlington and Exeter fans must be green with envy at our meagre entrance fee). The club price the quarter final at a mere 10 quid and in the club's hour of need, what do the Ewood public do? Well, nine thousand of them stay away. Incredible. If we get to Wembley, we'll be lucky to shift 20k, unless the club offer to bus them down, subsidise prices, etc etc. The phrase 'spoon fed' was invented for the people of Blackburn and District. Well done to the 13k Rovers fans who made the effort, the atmosphere was excellent.

Absolutely brilliant last night - best 10 quid I've ever spent! Flew in from Zurich for this and the Liverpool game. No sympathy whatsoever for the stay aways who missed the game of the last few seasons. Most folk have to fork out 10 quid every fortnight to see top flight football (Colchester, Bury, Darlington and Exeter fans must be green with envy at our meagre entrance fee). The club price the quarter final at a mere 10 quid and in the club's hour of need, what do the Ewood public do? Well, nine thousand of them stay away. Incredible. If we get to Wembley, we'll be lucky to shift 20k, unless the club offer to bus them down, subsidise prices, etc etc. The phrase 'spoon fed' was invented for the people of Blackburn and District. Well done to the 13k Rovers fans who made the effort, the atmosphere was excellent.

It's called the benefits culture nowadays CLB.

As someone who couldn't make it because of family commitments - I have some sympathy for those that couldn't make it. Mid-week matches can be difficult for a number of reasons - including for many people work.

Full credit to those that did attend - sounded a good atmosphere on the radio.

The fans of this club have been that spolied for 18 years that a good chunk of the fanbase still EXPECT top 8 finishes, European football, cup semi finals, even though we have one of if not the smallest budget in the league. Not turning up for cup quarter finals is testimony to how success is taken for granted.

I cherish every single triumph this club has because who knows what could happen in 1/2/5 years. Hats off to everyone involved in the club post Jack Walker for keeping the dream alive

This stat says it all:

Manchester City- 1 Semi Final in 28 years

Blackburn Rovers- 6 Semi Finals in 8 years.

:brfc:

Just a couple of interesting points here, does anyone agree that the fluidity and passing seems much better when Andrews doesnt play? Secondly, I wonder what the Rovers record is this year when Benni plays? I seem to feel we do much better, his touch and vision is superb and though appears lazy, he is a wonderful talent!!

As indeed is another similar player Berbatov, who for me has the best touch in football!! he would be amazing at Arsenal!!

OK, how about long hoof up the pitch. You know what I mean.

Loved it.Had a feeling, as we sat down at the start of the match, that something big was going to happen. It was brilliant. The only thing I really wanted that didn't happen was for Kalinic to get a hat trick! The lads were tremendous, each and every one of them. We have some awesome youngsters, Nic, Nzonzi, Junior (pace to die for); the future is bright.

THIS was why I was so upset after the Fulham match. I knew we could do so much better. I know we have to vary tactics, etc, but meh.

Bring on the rest of the season. There can be no more excuses now.

I've been working 9 till 5 each day this week, followed by 8 till late as I'm so busy, so could not make it last night.

I listened to the radio coverage whilst in the office, and every time I left the room a goal was scored. It got so I had to wait for obvious long breaks in play before I could do anything.

At about half ten, with injury time in extra time starting I left for home thinking we had won. About 2 minutes later, Chelsea of course equalised and i immediately pulled over, switched the car off and sat in the nearest pub (Malt And Hops), no phone or TV etc and sulked, convinced we would be out on pens.

Had one pint (Krombacher Weizen) and set off for home. The 11pm news came and, and at the end I heard the glorious news. Then watched the whole highlights show and the buzz kept me awake till 2am, despite the long working week.

Football eh? Bloody hell.

Archived