BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Chelski

But the best bit for the stawaways to consider is that the general concensus in the pub was that that was the best £10 spend ever!

Yep everyone I spoke to on the way home said exactly the same. 2-2 in normal time, 1 goal each in extra time, and then penalties. We played very well and should of finished them off in both the full 90 and also then again in Extra time.

The penalty save on Ballack was awesome!

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest thing for me was that the team all worked for each other and pressed the ball well, a 15 minute spell after half time excepted, Emerton was awesome, Nzonzi was excellent and along with Dunny and Grella, they must be our top four midfielders!

Hoilett must now be given opportunities as the Chelsea full back had a bad case of the runs each time Hoilett got the ball, Kalinics workrate and movement, plus his goal shows he is almost there and needs games now!!

Salgado played well, some really good runs and experience and a great tackle late on!!

No one could be said to have had a bad game, even Pedersons deliveries were better than of late!

We are getting there I think and if we can get some decent space between ourselves and the bottom three, I think we will play this type of game more often, until then though, dont hold your breath but what was evident was that we have the quality and ability in the squad!!

Waggy, I wish you could have seen this game mate!!

I think Pedersen is much more suited to playing inside left than as an out and out winger and 4-3-3 suits our players much more than either 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-2. I'd like us to stick with that. We don't have much creativity in the midfield so we should pack it with energetic players and leave the front 3 to create and score the majority of the goals.

My team would look something like this:

Robbo

Chimbonda-Samba-Nelsen-Givet

Emerton-N'zonzi-MGP/Dunn

Kalinic/Hoillet-Franco-Dunn/Benni

Benni can also play up there instead of Kalinic or Dunn and Dunn can also move back to replace MGP. I think that team would make the best use of our players and could see us have a solid season.

I think one thing was proven last night. There is no room for Diouf, he weakens the team.

I think Pedersen is much more suited to playing inside left than as an out and out winger and 4-3-3 suits our players much more than either 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-2. I'd like us to stick with that. We don't have much creativity in the midfield so we should pack it with energetic players and leave the front 3 to create and score the majority of the goals.

My team would look something like this:

Robbo

Chimbonda-Samba-Nelsen-Givet

Emerton-N'zonzi-MGP/Dunn

Kalinic/Hoillet-Franco-Dunn/Benni

Benni can also play up there instead of Kalinic or Dunn and Dunn can also move back to replace MGP. I think that team would make the best use of our players and could see us have a solid season.

I think one thing was proven last night. There is no room for Diouf, he weakens the team.

After last nights performance I think we will look something like this on Sat. While it seems like lunacy to play 433 against Liverpool the bottom line is we seem to play better with three strikers (well Dunn is sort of a striker):-

-----------------Di Santo------Kalinic

-----------------------------Dunn

-----------Pedersen---NZonzi----Emerton

Chimbonda----Nelsen----Samba----Salgado

--------------------------Robinson

Subs:- Brown, Givet, Grella, Andrews/Diouf, Roberts, McCarthy, Hoilett

If Dunn is still not fit McCarthy will start. I agree that the inside wide player positions suit Emerton and Pedersen's game. They will have to work like absolute monsters though against a very talented Scouse midfield. Luckily Emerton has a fantastic engine and pedersen has decent fitness, plus we can bring on Grella when he tires.

The things that would disappoint me is if 1) Andrews starts, 2) We revert to one up front

What an amazing night and what entertainment for £10! Is this the new Rovers? Or was it the return of the old Rovers that we used to see years ago? I would say that`s the most entertaining game I`ve seen in years and such a pity that so many didnt witness it.Although to be fair I went thinking we`d lose so probably did most people.

It was flowing attacking football with Rovers having quality players in most positions. Salgado just oozed class and Benni seemed to enjoy the type of football. Nzonzi was awesome for a 20 year old and what a future he will have in the game.Emerton is playing like he was a few years back when we signed him from Feyenoord.

In fact at the end we had probably 5 players who will be at the World Cup in June,Emerton,Grella,Nelsen,Benni and Robinson and Chimbonda could be in France`s squad.

Such quality deserves this type of game with a great Chelsea team who played some brilliant football at times but were let down by a manager whose vanity at halftime led to him gambling on the result and losing.We kept up with them and put some great moves together with Kalinic looking big and strong and keeping things moving although he had a "Derbyshire" moment at the end of extratime when he should really have put Benni in, lost the ball and they scored.

Hoilet did well but seems a bit selfish and doesnt look to me like a team player yet.

Interesting what will happen on Saturday but I`ll be surprised if we dont go for a more attacking lineup. I think Di Santo will play as he wont be knackered from tonight. Great night for all Rovers fans everywhere.

Fantastic result, and I'm so proud of the team. They excelled themselves against Chelsea and deserve all the plaudits. And of course credit to Sam for his team selection and McDonald's man-management.

Like others, since this was an all-or-nothing cup tie, I'm concerned that Big Sam will resort to his usual modus operandi in the league. We've only see him throw numbers up front when our home record was slipping against Portsmouth. By playing an expansive game, we're clearly a more effective attacking unit and entertaining to boot. Of course, it doesn't always work, but I'd have more confidence of us taking points against the top four (and the rest!) if we pursued this formation.

After last nights performance I think we will look something like this on Sat. While it seems like lunacy to play 433 against Liverpool the bottom line is we seem to play better with three strikers (well Dunn is sort of a striker):-

-----------------Di Santo------Kalinic

-----------------------------Dunn

-----------Pedersen---NZonzi----Emerton

Chimbonda----Nelsen----Samba----Salgado

--------------------------Robinson

Subs:- Brown, Givet, Grella, Andrews/Diouf, Roberts, McCarthy, Hoilett

If Dunn is still not fit McCarthy will start. I agree that the inside wide player positions suit Emerton and Pedersen's game. They will have to work like absolute monsters though against a very talented Scouse midfield. Luckily Emerton has a fantastic engine and pedersen has decent fitness, plus we can bring on Grella when he tires.

The things that would disappoint me is if 1) Andrews starts, 2) We revert to one up front

I like the look of that team.

Finally glad Ped's has been moved inside, sounds like he did well on all accounts. They could be a really good midfield team.

I completely agree with adding Dunn and Di Santo in, I just believe those three will click well. Hopefully we/can line up like that against liverpool.

The two times we've tried this its paid off, I'm keen to explore it further against Liverpool.

Must say I'm loving the fact that a self-professed Rovers supporter has aided in our win, Take a bow Mr Zhirkov.

What an absolute thriller! Those fans who turned their backs on the club last night missed a memorable night for Blackburn Rovers. If this is the boring hoofball, which some seem convinced is the only style we can play, then lets have more of it!

It was an excellent team performance and shows that the players and the management are back working together - unlike the first half of last season. I thought there were several excellent performances. Kalinic, who I have not been impressed with so far, looked a different player last night. Clearly the work which Sam and his team have done with him on the training ground is starting to pay dividends. Young N'Zonzi looks a real find. This was undoubtedly his best performance of the season and he looked a quality midfielder both in defence and attack. Chimbonda covered every blade of grass down the left flank and was a constant threat going forward. However, I thought Emerton was our 'Man of the Match'. His workrate was terrific. He was dangerous in attack, got in some excellent crosses, and covered Salgado whenever our full-back moved forward.

Although Salgado looked good going forwards, I would still have reservations about him playing at full-back every week. His passing ability and eye for a forward pass seem ideal for a position in midfield. I thought Hoilett showed that although he has potential he is far from the finished article. He really ought to have either scored or laid the ball off to players around him during the second period of extra time but, having said that, full marks to the lad for the way in which he took his penalty.

A word of praise for Sam and Neil McDonald. The management team got the tactics and team selection spot on.

Hoilet did well but seems a bit selfish and doesnt look to me like a team player yet.

The difference in play and link up play between the plodding, slipping, moaning excuse that is Roberts and Junior Hoillet was unbelievable. He rejuvinated the team. (Must say Chelsea going down to 10 helped too lets not forget).

I've said it time and again Roberts is a one trick pony and should only be used as an impact sub and last nights performance coming on the back of his efforts v Stoke verified it.

:rover: when i heard the teams i rushed to the bookies to put £20 on the rovers,could not believe chelski rested so many stars,but they eventually got what they deserved beaten,i heard on the radio that nicola made the mistake derbs made against citeh,when he should have run the ball into the corner in the last minute of et,i wonder what his punishment will be :rolleyes::brfcsmilie:

:rover: when i heard the teams i rushed to the bookies to put £20 on the rovers,could not believe chelski rested so many stars,but they eventually got what they deserved beaten,i heard on the radio that nicola made the mistake derbs made against citeh,when he should have run the ball into the corner in the last minute of et,i wonder what his punishment will be :rolleyes::brfcsmilie:

Good idea! Let's dwell on the negative. :rolleyes::wstu:

Although Salgado looked good going forwards, I would still have reservations about him playing at full-back every week. His passing ability and eye for a forward pass seem ideal for a position in midfield. I thought Hoilett showed that although he has potential he is far from the finished article. He really ought to have either scored or laid the ball off to players around him during the second period of extra time but, having said that, full marks to the lad for the way in which he took his penalty.

It is a glaring miss, but at least he A) got there in the first place & B ) had the confidence in himself to shoot and didn't think twice about it either. Would be nice to see him use some accuracy though in that situation. But the point for me is that in the short time he was on he got into dangerous positions and gives us a extra string to our bow. I'm keen to see him also getting on the pitch more now after yesterday.

The vaste majority of the time he's come on off the bench he's created a great chance, Arsenal and now Chelsea as well. For me its time to set them all lose and get Hoillet coming off the bench with much more frequency. If he's getting on I'm hopeful he'll stay and could be a good player in time. At the end of the day 20-30 minutes in this league over the Bundesliga any day I'm sure his advisor's would feel the same. Just needs to be a bit more collected when he's in on goal.

If our young players can displace the older tried and tested lot, then we could really move forward especially if we can shift them on. It was also nice to see that we seem to have played a bit more as well when the kids where on the pitch.

I'd be happy with Salgado playing week in and out, think him and Emerton could develop quite well as a right sided partnership. Salgado's never been know as a strong defender he much better going forward and it was good to see his legs still seem to be working.

Hopefully this is the 6 months up and those two Kali and Salgado play more now. If they continue as they did last night it'll be a good season. I'm just worried now we'll revert back as some have said and am really keen to see who and how we play against Liverpool.

I said to Baz before kick off that I just hoped rovers would stay in the game and not lose it in the first half. Didn't they do that well - never more so than when Chelsea went in front. It wouldn't have been any surprise if Chelsea has run away with the game from then on.

Great entertainment last night. A good mix of long ball, occassionally when needed, but mostly good movement and intelligent passing. For the most part Chelsea were all over the place defensively and that doesn't happen too often. I think if we're honest though, that wasn't a Chelsea PL performance. The aggression and pace wasn't there.

Nothing but good performances all round from rovers players. The stand outs for me were

Salgado - oozed class on the ball. Uses it very well and is a clever player. Knows what's needed from a right back. That's not to say he's the man to start every game mind, but he shone last night.

Bert - superb, as he has been every game since his comeback. Someone who can hold the ball, run with it when the time is right and can find a man every time. Gives us something that's been badly missed.

Nzonzi - the new Viera? Well there are similarities. This lad is head and shoulders above the the Andrews and Grella's of this squad. Has a big future in the game. His passing is effortless and precise, his movement excellent, he covers the ground like a thoroughbred.

One or two other observations - Chimbonda seems to offer more attacking threat from the left back position for some reason.

How we could do with a Benni who can apply himself week in, week out. There's no other reason than his self motivation as to why he doesn't do this.

Hoilett - caused Chelsea problem all the time he was on. His decision making leaves a lot to be desired at the moment, but that can improve.

Kalanic - did well. His strengths are his movement, workrate and the fact that he plays on the shoulder of the back four. Get's the odd flick on as well. I don't agree with people that say his control and hold up play are great though, I think this is a weakness that needs improvement.

Robbo's blunder brought back memories of Mark Atkins' own goal against Liverpool, was devastated at the time.

Neil McDonald is right, Chelsea underestimated us. They might have turned it around though, but going down to ten men prevented that happening. I was surprised to be honest, how they did struggle with ten men. A lot of top teams perform just as well when losing a player, but Chelsea seemed to lose heart completely.

Thought the ref had a good game as well.

Actually he should have lobbed it out wide to benni who was one on one and screaming for it, was very much the same as salgado who gave them the second, but never mind eh.

Archived