BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Chelski

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Hardly praising us though is it? I think we have played some decent stuff at times this season. My only gripe has been with the lacklustre performances against Chelsea and Utd. We might not be playing total football, but comments like that in the media don't do us justice. The same as when we had the bully boy tag. We were a very decent side but the media portrayl was that of a kicking side.

We all know Lawro has issues with us. But tonight i'm a happy man and one which can revel in the likes of Lawro having to suffer.

I know what you mean but for some reason I can't help but like Lawro he just amuses me.

I think he loves us really

• Backroom

I know what you mean but for some reason I can't help but like Lawro he just amuses me.

Have to admit, I do love seeing his face when we win and he's on MOTD. He always looks gutted.

Pretty sure he doesn't love us, but i'm happy for him to hate us :P

Can't say i love him but every time i see him i think of that imressions show with him and Gary Lineker.

I luuv you Gary......I really luuv you

Also he looks a little like my nan.

No watching paint dry tonight.

That performance was terrific, And I would have said the same even if we had lost the pen shoot-out.

We played football on the deck.

Please, Sam, can we use the same personnel and the same tactics against the pool? Lovely to watch.

I work at sky sports news..(oo, work place name drop ;)) so was lucky enough to watch the game....simply, fooking fantastic!!! We played some great stuff, espeically the first half where we were all over one of the best sides in the world.

4-3-3 every game!!!! :D

Got home a few minutes short of midnight. I don't think I'm going to sleep too much tonight.

That has to be one of the most nail-biting; buttock-clenching; "oh gawd I need a stiff drink & a large cigarette" games I have ever seen in my life.

I've only read the last few pages of this thread: did Robbo save Ballack's penalty? I thought it hit the post. If Robbo did, it was brilliant. Can anyone confirm?

Brilliant game & congratulations to all the players. A great night that will live long in the memory.

Time to open that second can of foaming amber relaxant and set the alarm clock.

Got home a few minutes short of midnight. I don't think I'm going to sleep too much tonight.

That has to be one of the most nail-biting; buttock-clenching; "oh gawd I need a stiff drink & a large cigarette" games I have ever seen in my life.

I've only read the last few pages of this thread: did Robbo save Ballack's penalty? I thought it hit the post. If Robbo did, it was brilliant. Can anyone confirm?

Brilliant game & congratulations to all the players. A great night that will live long in the memory.

Time to open that second can of foaming amber relaxant and set the alarm clock.

Robbo made a sensational save which diverted Ballack's pen on to the post.

Had to make do with Sky sports news all night. very similar to the 4-3 United game back in '06. Brilliant performance. Same team for 'Pool.

Great game, when I saw the line up for Rovers I thought at least were gonna have a go at them, I was actually commentating on this match tonight for Hospital Radio.

Let's hope we now see then end of the one up front now, it was very much an open game and end to end stuff.

Robinson: The flap at the end went against him but made up for it with the pen saves also a good save fron Drogba as well.

Salgado: Never stopped running always involved, good work with Emerton on the right.

Chimbonda: Great work for the the first goal, work hard all night but tired in extra time.

Nelsen and Samba: Kept out the Chelsea attack apart from the first ten mins of the second half.

Emerton: Another excellant performance from Bert Mk 3

NZonzi: This kid just keeps getting better.

Pedersen: Played well in a 3 man midfield, still better players ahead of him though.

McCarthy: Played most of the game just playing off the front 2, thought he played well although I would like to see him reducing his showboating, ok when it comes off but when theres only a goal in it not so good if you lose posesion.

Kalinic: Best game I have seen him play so far, always involved, wanted the ball all the time.

Roberts: Did his usual thing held the ball and won some free kicks,it was the right decision to bring him off when chaging the forward line up.

Subs

Grella: Came on to be the player to put a foot on the ball, he can do that but his passing is sometimes woefull, I was surprised he took a pen but fair play he did have the bottle to step forward.

Hoilet: Changed the game when he came on was very lively and gave the Chelsea defence problems, his 2 misses in extra time did come back to haunt us slightly but even after that he stepped to take a pen.

Van Heerden: Was a late sub so did not have much of an impact but was a fresh pair of legs on the field.

All in all a great night, I was surprised that John Terry didnt play their back four looked a lost without him, the excuse from Chelsea fans will be it's only the Carling Cup, we played a weak side, well you can only beat what's in front of you, should of done it in extra time though where did Wiley get 2 mins from.

Also not seen an post match interview from Chelsea yet, the BBC only showed Mcdonald's interview, and SSN showed the goals but no interviews at all.

I stopped off at a garage on Bolton Road to get some cans to celebrate, some Chelsea fans in there mouthing off that it was a weak team and their not bothered about the Carling Cup, so you travel all the way to Lancashire to watch your team play in a competition your not bothered about, southern muppets.

Great game, when I saw the line up for Rovers I thought at least were gonna have a go at them, I was actually commentating on this match tonight for Hospital Radio.

Let's hope we now see then end of the one up front now, it was very much an open game and end to end stuff.

Robinson: The flap at the end went against him but made up for it with the pen saves also a good save fron Drogba as well.

Salgado: Never stopped running always involved, good work with Emerton on the right.

Chimbonda: Great work for the the first goal, work hard all night but tired in extra time.

Nelsen and Samba: Kept out the Chelsea attack apart from the first ten mins of the second half.

Emerton: Another excellant performance from Bert Mk 3

NZonzi: This kid just keeps getting better.

Pedersen: Played well in a 3 man midfield, still better players ahead of him though.

McCarthy: Played most of the game just playing off the front 2, thought he played well although I would like to see him reducing his showboating, ok when it comes off but when theres only a goal in it not so good if you lose posesion.

Kalinic: Best game I have seen him play so far, always involved, wanted the ball all the time.

Roberts: Did his usual thing held the ball and won some free kicks,it was the right decision to bring him off when chaging the forward line up.

Subs

Grella: Came on to be the player to put a foot on the ball, he can do that but his passing is sometimes woefull, I was surprised he took a pen but fair play he did have the bottle to step forward.

Hoilet: Changed the game when he came on was very lively and gave the Chelsea defence problems, his 2 misses in extra time did come back to haunt us slightly but even after that he stepped to take a pen.

Van Heerden: Was a late sub so did not have much of an impact but was a fresh pair of legs on the field.

All in all a great night, I was surprised that John Terry didnt play their back four looked a lost without him, the excuse from Chelsea fans will be it's only the Carling Cup, we played a weak side, well you can only beat what's in front of you, should of done it in extra time though where did Wiley get 2 mins from.

Also not seen an post match interview from Chelsea yet, the BBC only showed Mcdonald's interview, and SSN showed the goals but no interviews at all.

I stopped off at a garage on Bolton Road to get some cans to celebrate, some Chelsea fans in there mouthing off that it was a weak team and their not bothered about the Carling Cup, so you travel all the way to Lancashire to watch your team play in a competition your not bothered about, southern muppets.

I hope non of the patients were of a nervous disposition?! Hang.....Hospital radio? You were providing a running commentary for Sam weren't you?!! :-p

i ran my f**kin arse off to get the last train back to manchester after that! just reading through the thread...

GUTTED TO ALL YOU LOT SAT ON THE NET!!! EWOOD WAS ROCKINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.

Thats the starting 11 for the rest of season (dunn in for MGP)

HOILETT is a skillful f*cker i tell thee! give a sh*t about his misses! WEMBERLEYYYYYYYYYYY ??? !!! :rover:

The game was definitely what you'd call value for money shame there was only about 12,000 Rovers fans in to witness it.

Another shock pre-match team announcement for the second home game in a row, this time it was a pleasant suprise with Rovers opting for three strikers, yes that's right THREE strikers. Surely that is against the law we've become so accustomed to seeing Rovers roll over like a dog wanting his belly tickled against the top sides that it was a very welcomed move by me at least. The attacking line-up paid dividends when we took the lead thanks to a well crafted goal. In truth Chelsea had a number of chances themselves, Drogba would have surely scored that chance that Kalou missed. Drogba then came on as part of a triple substitution and before we knew it we where 2-1 behind, for their second Salgado has to take the blame for lossing possession.

Then our first stroke of luck a injury to Kalou meant Chelsea where down to ten men. From that point on Rovers took control of the game, the introduction of Holliett for Roberts and Grella for Pedersen made us look even more threatening. Our second piece of luck came in the form of our second goal, you could argue Kalinic's jump did distract the keeper somewhat but he really shouldn't be beaten from a cross when there's so much time to watch the ball. Onto Holliett, or Junior as he likes to be called thought he was superb when he came on towards the end of the second half in normal time, one particuarly dribble where he knocked it past the fullback and ran round him showed a great amount of skill and pace. Such dribbling skill and pace for a Rovers player hasn't been seen since the departure of Bellamy. Holiett then goes and wins the penalty which should have secured our place in the Semi-final. He then dampens his impressive cameo by totally fluffing a one-on-one attempt, wrong foot maybe? and then in another brilliant counter-attacking position he goes for the shot when there's man over shouting for the pass. Benni wasn't best pleased with him to say the least. Fair play to the lad for stepping up to take a penalty after the above events, was probably the best penalty of the lot.

Onto the penalties and a very, very, very, very, very rare moment occured, a German missing a penalty. Well to be fair to Robbo it was a brilliant save who showed great commitment to amend for his error that led to the undeserved Chelsea equaliser. Kalinic stepped up and his shot was a bit tame and ultimatley saved by the keeper, that be said I thought Kalinic was superb throughout the game, he ran his socks, put himself about, scored and linked up play really well. Very promising signs he looked every penny the £6million worth of striker on tonight's performance. Then onto the winning penalty save from Robbo, poor penalty you could say but he still had to save it.

Absolutely fanastic to put in such a good performance against arguably the best club side in the world at the moment. Decent enough atmosphere, totally outsung the Chelsea following (that's probably not saying much). Really looking forward to the Semi-Final against Villa hopefully we can attract a few more fans for that one and get Ewood rocking.

I just hope we go for it tonight, and whatever happens, don't feel tomorrow morning like we've been let down.

Nothing to lose - everything to gain!!!!!

THANK YOU MR MCDONALD!!

What a difference positivity makes!!

There is no criticism of management, when the management finally uses the players available to deliver the goods.

Bring on Liverpool rover.gif (and my taxi to Preston station for London work ... in 3 hours ... sad.gif )

I hope non of the patients were of a nervous disposition?! Hang.....Hospital radio? You were providing a running commentary for Sam weren't you?!! :-p

If I was I hope he took in my comments about Grella and his wayward passing, got to say though it was the best game I have commentated on also my first penalty shoot out while commentating, also seen Nicko in the press room at half time.

im claiming this win as down to me, those in chat will know why, but im sorry i caused us to go to pens

No seriously it was my new routine that did it.

I watched the Rovers official site up to when we were one up. I switched to here and we lost two goals so I switched back to the Rovers site and then went for a coffee at the Coffee bar in Bethlehem full time and did not look at the result until the end. Difficult to replicate but I will give it a go. It is worth it,I am feeling very very proud. Lifetime moment, print off all the reports. Not in a million years did I expect this after the Chelsea Arsenal game.

One other thing we should replicate is Sam watching the games on his telly at home.

Oh this has made my day for so many reasons:

1. We won!

2. We got revenge on Chelski for the 5-0 and the semi a few years back

3. We beat a team worth 200 squillion quid, not a reserve team but most of their first team

4. We showed we CAN beat the big guns at home

5. HUGE confidence boost for Saturday and Kalinic

6. Another nail in the coffin for 4-5-1

7. We get the best semi draw and CAN beat Villa and go to the finals

8. Emerton scored which means it will be on the news over here

9. Showed we can win without Dunn

10. We won!

Can't wait for tomorrow nights Adelaide United game. There are tons of ex-pats and bandwagon jumpers who wear their kits to the games over here, predictably it's 99% Arse, Chelski, Man U and Liverpool. I ALWAYS wear my Rovers shirt and Adelaide scarf and ALWAYS cop some crap from them (after the 5-0 it was bad). Well I will seek out the little turds tomorrow and rub their faces in it, plus the Liverpool fans will be looking worried!

HA! HA! WE WON!

Archived