BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chelsea At Ewood

Salgado has been outstanding today

Salgado came back well from last week and showed his class, Samba and Jones were rocks at the back, very impressive performance from the 18 yr old.

And I bought his last home shirt from the club store. I am very pleased with myself at the moment. Think I'll go and order a 4th Guiness by way of celebration.

I never thought I would ever type this - Diouf was excellent today - there, I have done it!

I've been on Diouf's case for a long time. And I'll remain that way for awhile, but if he keeps this up I may, eventually, acknowledge the error of my ways.

Can't rave about Jones enough, a performance of outstanding maturity and awareness, he showed fantastic determination. I hope he infects the whole dressing room with his attitude.

Jones is on the short list for the jersey I buy next year. A three way contest between Jones, Olsen and Kalinic.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just getting way way way ahead of myself but just wondering hypothetically, how much did Smalling go for?

You never know eh?

Thats the reason we dont want him in the press and you could see Sam slightly hesitant about singing his praise, what we would get now would be a fraction of what we would get if he turned out to be an England regular maybe even captain material, the lad shows steel and desire in his mentality, good placement, great heading and and a certain coolness on the ball when on the pitch.

Credit where credit is due but the less said the better as far as I am concerned.

Heres one for you.........

Friedel

Gray

Amoruso

Short

Matteo

De Pedro

Gresko

Ferguson

Emerton

Yorke

Stead

Bench:

Johansson

Gallagher

Dickov

Tugay

Enckelman

Rovers 1 -1 West Brom - 14th August 2004

Only one player i would put in todays line up. Big Brad.

Still havent figured out where the hell Matteo actually played that game.

That game wasn't one of Souness' finer moments. If I remember correctly we played some weird formation involving about half of the team down the left flank and Emerton all alone on the right which meant for a totally unbalanced team. De Pedro's left-foot was apparentley meant to be a magic wand, the only magic we have saw from him was how quickly he disappeared, don't think he played again after that first half performance.

Our present team is far superior to that one.

• Backroom

Dixon said Dunn was superb, did he actually see any of the game? Comfortably our worst player on the day.

Those 2 blocks by our Keith get better every time I see them

One large portion of humble pie?!

Ha that made me laugh. I asked the people I sit with why did they boo Kalinic, I knew they weren't booing him, they were booing Sam's decision, I just said it wrong, before I had chance to explain what I meant this women was going mad.

Before Kalinic went off some guy in front said it had to be Diouf ha how he was so wrong, why do they not understand this formation when Diouf explained this perfectly clear on the Rovers website back in February

Sam's comments on Sky Sports sum these fans up nicely.

"Yeah but everybody can do my job better than me don't they, they always think that don't they"

"The fans always feel you have got to throw caution to the wind"

"What we did in how we used the substitutes has got us the result, but the supporters are entitled to their opinion."

without wanting to stop the party for our new CB, (i didnt get to the game so cant really comment on the performance) a few years ago we had a new wonderkid who marked David Beckaham out of a game at old trafford, rarely played again for the first team and became a championship player for Derby.

If he takes his chance and becomes a first team regular, well done to the lad. but theres a very long way to go and a steep learning curve ahead - dont expect MOTM performances every week.

• Backroom

The thing is though whereas McEvely had a good game that day Jones today won a physical battle vs Drogba and beat him in the air time and time again.

He is young and will make mistakes but physically he looks like he could have it all.

I'd be tempted to put him in vs Brum as a reward but not Burnley personally as a boo boo in a game like that could set him back, he's some way from ousting Givet (who for me has been as good as anyone this season) but today was an excellent league debut for him.

Sam's comments on Sky Sports sum these fans up nicely.

"Yeah but everybody can do my job better than me don't they, they always think that don't they"

"The fans always feel you have got to throw caution to the wind"

"What we did in how we used the substitutes has got us the result, but the supporters are entitled to their opinion."

It was a good performance, a very good result and we deserved the point, but comments like that are why I can never like Allardyce.

Can't help but feel people are getting slightly ahead of themselves with their views on Jones. May well turn out to be the real deal, but one premier league game doesn't prove it. Give him time, hopefully he'll be great for us, but no reason to stack unrealistic expectations onto him so early on.

It was a good performance, a very good result and we deserved the point, but comments like that are why I can never like Allardyce.

Why not? What he has said I don't think you could argue with, some fans obviously think they can do a better job, they clearly had some disagreement with his decisions today otherwise they wouldn't have booed.

Hasnt Diouf scored 2 headers from more or less the same position lately?

All the tossers around me booed when they took Kalinic - now I understand the 4-4-2 desire but not many teams play that way anymore....and to be fair Kalinic hadnt really got much change out of Terry & Co.

Less booing, more supporting your team eh!

Why not? What he has said I don't think you could argue with, some fans obviously think they can do a better job, they clearly had some disagreement with his decisions today otherwise they wouldn't have booed.

And all supporters are entitled to their opinion and Sam should respect that and not make a point of it (even when asked). First half we were cr@p today and it wasn't so much personnel but how we went about the game, tactically. So that's down to the manager. Second half we were much much better. It wasn't some sort of 'expert' tactical change but simply we got stuck in, and made a disjointed Chelsea side realise they were in a game.

I think the fans were wrong to boo him, not because of the result but because of the fact that we were only one down to one of the best teams in the league, I myself remember thinking we need two up front but as the game wore on I could see the need to still give the back four the protection it needed and maybe we could nick an odd goal from a set piece.

It worked today for Sam but there will be times when it doesnt but sometimes you have to say to yourself especially at the final whistle Sam got it right, I dont profess myself to be Sams biggest fan but he has got over the blip, is getting the team to play how he wants( which isnt 100% hoofball) as most would make out and is getting results.

I dont really see how people can get on Sams back after the recent run of results and perfomances we have had its now time for more people to get over the grudge and put some faith in the team and Sam as we approach the most important match most of us will see in a long time.

• Backroom

Hasnt Diouf scored 2 headers from more or less the same position lately?

All the tossers around me booed when they took Kalinic - now I understand the 4-4-2 desire but not many teams play that way anymore....and to be fair Kalinic hadnt really got much change out of Terry & Co.

Less booing, more supporting your team eh!

I wouldn't say anyone who booed the decision is a tosser per se it was more disappointment that Niko was being taken off than anything. You could say the booing was supporting Niko and therefore supporting the team but that would be a stretch :wacko: In a weird way the substitution won us a point because of how god awful Roberts control is he got us the throw for the goal but otherwise he offered nothing more than Niko had imo.

Still its a good decision as we need Niko fresh.

As for Diouf he has surprised me in that he has scored two cracking headers at Ewood this season, never thought he had it in him, a couple too many dives today though.

Oh and I hate Sky at times, just watched it back they replayed the great Pedersen challenge on Lampard from a million angles seeming like they were trying to find one to make it look a penalty.

A small minority need to stop having a go and start supporting Andrews. I can't think of any positives in slating him at every opportunity. I agree with Brian, it's getting very boring now listening to the negative nonsense after every game whether he's played well or not.

I think the majority realise that he isn't the best footballer on the planet but they really want him to do well and really appreciate the fact that he gives 100% every game.

If it wasn't for Andrews then we probably would have lost today and a few other players who didn't contribute as much as him probably would be getting a lot of stick too. Thankfully we pulled off a great result because I would hate to read the amount of stick the Keith Andrew haters would have given him. It's bad enough when he actually makes a valuable contribution.

Have to agree. Its been a long time coming - but this is the first time that Andrews hasn't looked totally outclassed against top 4 opposition. The guy will never be an oustanding midfield player - but he is an honest 100% player. It really is time for the boo boys to lay off - not once has he moaned - he just goes out and tries his best. If I am honest - he would only just make the bench if we had a fully fit squad - but while he plays (and stays fit - something a number of our players struggle to do) he will have my backing.

I'm pleased with the point but I have to say I feel lucky considering how rubbish we were. We have absolutely no commitment to playing football and I thought we were particularly bad today. It's just lucky we caught Chelsea at the start of their title collapse.

Point taken but it's often said that the league table doesn't lie.

I don't know what counts as commitment in your eyes, but various brave defending and "body-on-the line" blocks especially towards the end of the game showed there was plenty of commitment in my opinion. Samba got a knock on the head due to commitment of getting to the ball first and Nzonzi was flat out by the end of the game because of the sheer amount of work he went through. What about Jones' three tackles in quick succession that got the corwd and ultimately the team going? Just because all our players don't run around like Paul Dickov for the enitre match doesn't mean that they are not committed. Like I mentioned earlier we are set out to get people behind the ball and be hard to break down and that means players holding their position and not pressing the play continously. Whether you believe that's the way to play or not you can't question the players commitment due the tactics/style of play they've been told to adopt.

Commitment to playing football. As I said.

I'm pleased with the point but I have to say I feel lucky considering how rubbish we were. We have absolutely no commitment to playing football and I thought we were particularly bad today. It's just lucky we caught Chelsea at the start of their title collapse.

In patches we played some good football. I must admit - I couldn't make mt mind up whether they had a bad day - or we made them have a bad day.

We still desperately lack flair in the team - but defensively we are (at last) starting to get it together.

One final point - they had at least one player who cost more than our entire team. At some point we have to be realistic - we will never (very rarely) outplay a top 4 side - but as long as we give them a game and show 100% commitment (as today) I will be happy.

With regards to the Allardyce comments, if I were him I'd have come out to the technical area and lofted two fingers straight up and towards the Blackburn End when Diouf scored.

I don't care for anyones reasoning, if you boo a simple straight substitution to replace a player who had done SOD ALL for the entire game, you're a complete baboon.

Two of the "Big 4" at home. 2 creditable draws. Progress being made slowly but surely.

Now if complete idiots like Mr E and Eddie can just stop their whingeing (please note- it can either be spelt like this or without the e. losing the h at the beginning is just wrong) and either support the team or leave, the world would be a much finer place. Oh and Mr E- neither me nor the person who you accused of flaming you are doing so. We're simply stating an obvious fact.

With regards to the Allardyce comments, if I were him I'd have come out to the technical area and lofted two fingers straight up and towards the Blackburn End when Diouf scored.

I don't care for anyones reasoning, if you boo a simple straight substitution to replace a player who had done SOD ALL for the entire game, you're a complete baboon.

Well said that man!

Two of the "Big 4" at home. 2 creditable draws. Progress being made slowly but surely.

Now if complete idiots like Mr E and Eddie can just stop their whingeing (please note- it can either be spelt like this or without the e. losing the h at the beginning is just wrong) and either support the team or leave, the world would be a much finer place. Oh and Mr E- neither me nor the person who you accused of flaming you are doing so. We're simply stating an obvious fact.

Well said that man!

Those Allardyce comments were said in a humourous tone, unlike his previous "expert" comment, and I can't see how anyone could take exception to them. The guy had got it right on the day - I too would have liked to see 2 forwards on, though I'd have never booed the substitution - but fortunately we don't make the decisions

Completely disagree I am afraid. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Allardyce would have every reason to be a bit smug and say "I told you so" after a result like that. As it was I thought his comments were measured and restrained. It probably hurts him more than a bit that many fans dont appear to appreciate what he has done for us. I think we are lucky to have him. He appears to be building a team that can effectively take on the big boys.

Archived